• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
An old moonshiner is remembered.

Getting away from the rat race and spending your days spinning, knitting and distilling your own alcohol might sound like the ideal existence for some.

It might be less appealing if it involved living in a cave. But that was the reality for some people in Ireland in the 19th Century, including Ann Murray. She spent 50 years living in a cave in Country Antrim until she died aged 100.

As well as spinning and knitting to support herself, the Glenariff woman distilled her own poteen, which was illegal at the time.
She evaded the liquor laws by charging customers for an expensive glass of water and giving them the poteen for free.

Her story has come to the fore after the Glens of Antrim Historical Society received funding from the Community Arts, Culture and Heritage Fund to publish the cave's rich history.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-57852184

I may be a little late to this party (as this story starts back in Apri) and I'm not really sure it's a party I'd want to attend as I'm sure it'd be a certain recipe for either a fearsome hangover of a rather upset stomach. This couls also potentially crossover to the potato crisp/chip thread that we have going here.

Northern Monk and Seabrook brew the ‘world’s first’ crisp-flavoured beer​

chipbeer.jpg

Leeds-based brewer Northern Monk and UK crisp maker Seabrook have joined forces to create cheese & onion and prawn cocktail crisp-inspired beers.

You might not have ever looked at your crisps and beer and wished that they would become one product. But in celebration of beer gardens reopening on 12 April, Leeds-based Northern Monk brewery and Bradford-based Seabrook have done just that.

The unique recipe combines a base beer with actual Seabrook crisp flavouring. The first, The Cheese & Onion Lager is a 5.4% lager described as having a “distinct aroma”, with “notes of cheese and onion” and “leaving you with the aftertaste of just having finished your favourite packet of crisps.” The second, The Prawn Cocktail Gose, is a 5% sour beer that “brings with it the tang of prawn cocktail” and finishes with “a distinct saltiness”.
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2...k-brew-the-worlds-first-crisp-flavoured-beer/

I may be a little late to this party (as this story starts back in Apri) and I'm not really sure it's a party I'd want to attend as I'm sure it'd be a certain recipe for either a fearsome hangover of a rather upset stomach. This couls also potentially crossover to the potato crisp/chip thread that we have going here.

Northern Monk and Seabrook brew the ‘world’s first’ crisp-flavoured beer​

View attachment 42434

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2...k-brew-the-worlds-first-crisp-flavoured-beer/
:yuck:

I love an unusual beer (1209 different brews sampled...and counting) but even I draw the line at that.

Actually, it would get me to 1211....

Pandemic-related supply chain disruptions are causing disruptions in packaging product supplies, which in turn is causing a shortage of packaged alcoholic beverages making it onto retail shelves. This makes for an alcohol shortage the year following a 20% increase in American alcohol consumption.
Pandemic bottle and can shortage causes alcohol shortage

Brewers are able to produce the alcohol but packaging shortages mean they can’t finish the product. ...

There is more collateral damage from the COVID pandemic and it’s hitting people where it hurts: an alcohol shortage. ...

Mac McHugh is the Executive Vice President and General Manager at the Heidelberg Distributing Company, the largest beer and spirits distributor in Ohio. McHugh says he’s been in this business for 43 years and has “never seen anything like this. We can literally sell when we get the product in.... anything we have.” ...

The pandemic forced unscheduled production changes to accommodate home drinkers as opposed to bar and restaurant drinkers who usually consume beer from kegs.

Add to that a log jam in the global supply chain, starting with an ink and glass shortage.

“It’s not only they can’t get the glass,” says McHugh. “They can’t get the crowns that go on the glass to hold the bottle in place. They’re having a hard time with glue to hold the packages together because some of that glue is only made in China.”

And the packaging is the key to the shortage.

“We can produce the beer,” says McHugh. “Our brewers have plenty of beer. They just don’t have bottles and kegs and cans to put it in.” ...
FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.13abc.com/2021/07/23/pandemic-bottle-can-shortage-causes-alcohol-shortage/

A job for @Swifty !

SpaceX is seeking a "spaceport mixologist" to tend bar at its Brownsville, Texas launch site. From the job description:

We are looking for a passionate, experienced bartender looking to join our culinary team! SpaceX has a number of food service outlets and formats serving our workforce and are looking to add many more. We are searching for candidates who have superior mixology experience with a focus in resorts, bars, and full service restaurants.

https://boingboing.net/2021/08/05/spacex-is-hiring-a-spaceport-bartender.html

You have to go to Edinburgh first though.
That's where the end of the queue is.

Samuel Adams' latest batch of limited-run Utopias beer is illegal in almost 1/3 of US states owing to its alcohol content.
Samuel Adams' latest potent beer is illegal in 15 states

The latest beer from Boston brewer Samuel Adams bears a piece tag of $240 per bottle and bears another notable distinction: it's illegal in 15 states.

Samuel Adams said the 12th version of the Utopias brand, which the brewery rolls out every two years, will roll out Oct. 11 at a price of $240 for 25.4-ounce bottle.

The beverage contains 28% alcohol by volume, more than five times the average strength of U.S. beers, making it illegal to sell in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont and West Virginia. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/09/20/Samuel-Adams-Utopias-beer-illegal-15-states/7301632163091/

Just out of interest, do these states allow spirits to be sold? Most vodka, whisky and gin tend to be a good bit stronger than this beer.
Yes. The 'illegal' bit may refer to county or municipal - rather than state - laws and regulations.

Just out of interest, do these states allow spirits to be sold? Most vodka, whisky and gin tend to be a good bit stronger than this beer.

Yes. The 'illegal' bit may refer to county or municipal - rather than state - laws and regulations.

It may also have to do with the fact that beer laws in some states may be different than the hard liquor laws. In New York, for example, you can buy beer in a supermarket, but wine and spirits are only sold at liquor stores - and those don't carry beer.

It may also have to do with the fact that beer laws in some states may be different than the hard liquor laws. In New York, for example, you can buy beer in a supermarket, but wine and spirits are only sold at liquor stores - and those don't carry beer.
My uncle lives in Canada and he's tried to explain their alcohol sales rules to me before. Weirdly it's now easier to buy weed than booze.

My uncle lives in Canada and he's tried to explain their alcohol sales rules to me before. Weirdly it's now easier to buy weed than booze.
The rules concerning the purchase of alcohol vary from province to province (and territories). I expect the same is true for weed. Initially Ontario planned to sell cannabis through the provincial liquor control board (LCBO) but it later decided to sell the stuff through private shops.

I love an unusual beer (1209 different brews sampled...and counting) but even I draw the line at that.

Actually, it would get me to 1211....
Ok then, can you tell me which bottled English beer featured this cheerful fellow on the label?

Attachments

• 4856813C-5734-453E-BFB1-299A16DC2CAB.jpeg
    4856813C-5734-453E-BFB1-299A16DC2CAB.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 15
Back