• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Leslie Van Houten has been freed:

Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten released from after 50 years in jail for 1969 killings​

A follower of cult leader Charles Manson has been released from jail after serving more than 50 years for her involvement in the infamous 1969 murders.

Leslie Van Houten, now in her 70s, had been serving a life sentence for helping Manson's followers carry out the killings of Los Angeles grocer Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary in August 1969.

Van Houten was released into "parole supervision" on Tuesday, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said.

Governor Gavin Newsom had announced he would not fight a state appeals court ruling Van Houten should be granted parole.

Van Houten was found suitable for parole after a July 2020 hearing.

Her release was blocked by Mr Newsom, who maintained she was still a threat to society.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-12/manson-follower-leslie-van-houten-released/102590438

At the link there's a history of the door and the house it came from.
Trent Reznor doesn't come across well.

(Also, as I read Terry Melcher's name, the name Terry was spoken in a podcast I'm listening to about the murder of a woman called that. Brr.)

Strange that Leslie Van Houten's reported net worth is between $1 million and $15 million dollars, depending on whether she signs a book deal:

"Currently, Leslie Van Houten is 73 years old and she will attempt to live the final years of her life in the outside world after so many decades locked up. According to Forbes, Leslie Van Houten's actual net worth is $15 million. This net worth doesn't mean Leslie Van Houten has that kind of money to spend. It is actually unknown how much liquid cash she actually has. Over the years, the many deals for interviews and book deals she completed racked up that sum of money."

https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/celebrity-net-worth/2023/07/18/64b6d2dcca474112278b457e.html

An excellent YouTube video I've just finished watching and can highly recommend if you have the time to watch it - Manson: A Geographic History
It gives a run down on the forming of the family and the crimes themselves but what is of the most interest is that the author/film maker takes us to the actual locations where the major (and many minor) events in the history of the Manson saga occur.

From Youtube:
In the summer of 1969, ex-convict and rock star wanna-be Charles Manson led a bizarre cult of disaffected young people out of the wild hinterlands of Los Angeles to murder numerous victims, most of them wealthy, in the exclusive upper-class enclaves where they lived. These are some of the most infamous murders in 20th century American history. In this deep-dive video we'll examine Manson, his cult and his murder spree by looking at the places, most but not all of them in or around L.A., where they occurred as well as other places where events relevant to the story took place. You'll find that the Manson story is closely intertwined with the physical, environmental and racial geography of Los Angeles, Southern California, San Francisco and other places farther afield. You may know part of the story already, but you probably haven't ever seen it told quite like this.

Metallica's Robert Trujillo Recalls Hiding from a Manson Family Shootout as a Child

Metallica’s Robert Trujillo is reflecting on a harrowing run-in he and his family had with the members of the Manson Family in the ‘70s.

Robert-Trujillo-102423-1-3f8d162a993b451d84232f6a63d48962.jpg

The bass player, 59, told the story about the time he took cover during the Manson family’s infamous raid of a Hawthorne, California army surplus store that resulted in a shootout in 1971.

The heavy metal musician explained that the event took place shortly after Charles Manson was arrested and he, two of his cousins and his father happened to be staying at his grandparents’ apartment in Hawthorne at the time.

“Long story short: Charlie Mason just had gotten arrested and [I’m in] Hawthorne, California, I’m staying at my grandma’s house,” Trujillo recalled, setting the scene for the podcast hosts. “The army surplus shop there around the corner on Hawthorne Boulevard was robbed.”

“Basically, the Manson Family had this grand scheme: they were gonna rob the gun store and get their ammo and everything, and they were gonna go to LAX, and their plan was to hijack a 747 and demand that Charlie gets sent to them, and they’re gonna take this plane to God knows where. This is what they were thinking.”

The rocker continued, “Obviously, the plan didn’t work. Cops show up. There’s a shootout.”

“We were hearing gunshots, the whole deal. So all of a sudden you get the [police helicopters], and they’re flying around. They’re talking through their intercom, whatever they got going up there: ‘Everybody, take cover.’

https://people.com/metallica-robert-trujillo-recalls-hiding-from-manson-family-raid-shootout-8379602

maximus otter

For UK viewers, Manson - The Lost Tapes is on this Weds on PBS Broadcasting, Freeview Ch 84
It was interesting with footage I’d never seen - someone made a film of the ‘family’ pre-murders, interviewing some of the members at Spahn Ranch. Not the killers but others who were there.

Most were very young at the time & came across as a bit lost & looking to belong. Some had had trouble with parents & been kicked out as teenagers. The programme was made in 2019 & some of the women filmed then, looking back at their time in the 60s.

Manson was about 15 years older & manipulative to say the least. He’d spent half his life in institutions by 1967, mother was a 16 year old prostitute, father disappeared. An ex cellmate was interviewed.

During acid sessions he often didn’t take it himself while the others did. There was a lot of nervous laughter when some of the family were asked their opinion of him.

There’s a part 2, presumably next week.

It was interesting with footage I’d never seen - someone made a film of the ‘family’ pre-murders, interviewing some of the members at Spahn Ranch. Not the killers but others who were there.

Most were very young at the time & came across as a bit lost & looking to belong. Some had had trouble with parents & been kicked out as teenagers. The programme was made in 2019 & some of the women filmed then, looking back at their time in the 60s.

Manson was about 15 years older & manipulative to say the least. He’d spent half his life in institutions by 1967, mother was a 16 year old prostitute, father disappeared. An ex cellmate was interviewed.

During acid sessions he often didn’t take it himself while the others did. There was a lot of nervous laughter when some of the family were asked their opinion of him.

There’s a part 2, presumably next week.
You may like the 1973 Robert Hendrickson film Manson, if you haven't already seen it.

Soundtrack music for the film was created by Brooks Poston and Paul Watkins two former Manson associates. As well, music performed by the Manson Family can also be heard on the soundtrack.

You may like the 1973 Robert Hendrickson film Manson, if you haven't already seen it.

Soundtrack music for the film was created by Brooks Poston and Paul Watkins two former Manson associates. As well, music performed by the Manson Family can also be heard on the soundtrack.
I don’t know if the doc on PBS the past couple of days is the same as the one you’re talking about but it certainly has some of the same footage.

It’s on YouTube so will have a look.

I don’t know if the doc on PBS the past couple of days is the same as the one you’re talking about but it certainly has some of the same footage.

It’s on YouTube so will have a look.
This is it, creepy crawlies ..

Back