• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Watching 'Eye Of The Devil' from 1967 with Deborah Kerr and David Niven.
'A French winegrower returns to Bordeaux with his wife and family to face ritual sacrifice for another bad year.'
Creepy film, and when Sharon Tate appears as a witch one cannot take their eyes off her.
Even creepier is that Roman Polanski, her husband, directed 'Rosemary's Baby' the following year.
And the murders took place the year after that.
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

A guy named David Oman owns a house on Cielo drive, 2 or 3 doors down from the former Tate house. It's reported to be haunted, some say by Sharon Tate herself amongst others. It's been featured on numerous paranormal shows such as Ghost Hunters & Ghost Adventures.
You have to wonder if he is planning to sell his house soon!
Nothing like a little intrigue to jack up the price. :)
Though it is a bit strange that Sharon Tate saw that apparition of a bleeding person at Jay Sebring's home (the former home of Jean Harlow and Paul Bern).

You have to wonder if he is planning to sell his house soon!
Nothing like a little intrigue to jack up the price. :)
Though it is a bit strange that Sharon Tate saw that apparition of a bleeding person at Jay Sebring's home (the former home of Jean Harlow and Paul Bern).

He's been there a while (in fact I think he and his father built the place). He's connected to the entertainment industry somehow, though does have a good side business hosting ghost/haunted evenings at his house. He also wrote a movie called ''The House at the End of the Drive'' loosely based on the Tate/Manson murders.

The House at the End of the Drive - IMDB

He's been there a while (in fact I think he and his father built the place). He's connected to the entertainment industry somehow, though does have a good side business hosting ghost/haunted evenings at his house. He also wrote a movie called ''The House at the End of the Drive'' loosely based on the Tate/Manson murders.

The House at the End of the Drive - IMDB
Strange how the house was only built in 1999 though. ?

I think there were only two houses there in 1969. I wonder if any of the other 'new' ones' occupants have experienced anything similar. And if not, why only Oman's?
Cielo.png

It appears that Linda Kasabian, who was the driver/lookout on the night of the Tate murders and present on the night of the LaBianca murders has died.
It was her testimony as the key witness in the trial that Manson & the others were found guilty.

The information below was taken from Facebook:

Linda Kasabian, ex-Manson Family member has died. A person matching her changed name (Linda Darlene Chiochios) and age (73) from the area she is known to live in (Tacoma, WA.) died January 21, 2023.

She was present at the Tate-LaBianca murders and was the driver and lookout the night of the "Sharon Tate" murders in 1969. She later testified for the prosecution during the trials in exchange for full immunity.

lindakasabian.jpg

Her Wikipedia entry has been updated to record her death:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Kasabian

So agree Ringo. Attempted a review of 'Chaos' some a few months ago.

"I would not recommend this for anyone who is just starting out on reading about the Manson family. Some familiarity with the events and individuals involved is really needed.
However I think that Tom O'Neill's book is crucial . For a start he has no time for Charles Manson and his cult following. Yet Mr O'Neill also demolishes so much of the official 'Helter Skelter' narrative , and was even threatened by the main Prosecutor in the case -Vincent Bugliosi-for asking too many questions.
Broadly speaking the author shows the strange position the Prosecution came to adopt. They had to show that the Manson family were 'crazed killers' but not criminally insane . In other words getting programmed by drugs and dodgy mysticism but were still legally and morally responsible for the carnage they caused.
The author supports the view that the Tate murders and possible La Bianca ones were more related to drug dealers gone wrong than anything else. Not a unique view by any means but a great deal of evidence is added to the book.
Moreover Mr O Neill highlights the perjury committed in key Prosecution witnesses, Terry Melcher and Linda Kasabian, which Bugliosi most likely knew about. Then the book looks at how the authorities seemed to be letting Manson and other Family members get away with so much law breaking . Particularly considering that Charles Manson and Susan Atkins were on probation and openly flaunting these conditions. His case is that there were some clandestine operation against the hippie counter culture and the Manson Family were involved. I don't personally know if this view is correct, but feel that Mr O Neill has made a strong case for his views...."

So agree Ringo. Attempted a review of 'Chaos' some a few months ago.

"I would not recommend this for anyone who is just starting out on reading about the Manson family. Some familiarity with the events and individuals involved is really needed.
However I think that Tom O'Neill's book is crucial . For a start he has no time for Charles Manson and his cult following. Yet Mr O'Neill also demolishes so much of the official 'Helter Skelter' narrative , and was even threatened by the main Prosecutor in the case -Vincent Bugliosi-for asking too many questions.
Broadly speaking the author shows the strange position the Prosecution came to adopt. They had to show that the Manson family were 'crazed killers' but not criminally insane . In other words getting programmed by drugs and dodgy mysticism but were still legally and morally responsible for the carnage they caused.
The author supports the view that the Tate murders and possible La Bianca ones were more related to drug dealers gone wrong than anything else. Not a unique view by any means but a great deal of evidence is added to the book.
Moreover Mr O Neill highlights the perjury committed in key Prosecution witnesses, Terry Melcher and Linda Kasabian, which Bugliosi most likely knew about. Then the book looks at how the authorities seemed to be letting Manson and other Family members get away with so much law breaking . Particularly considering that Charles Manson and Susan Atkins were on probation and openly flaunting these conditions. His case is that there were some clandestine operation against the hippie counter culture and the Manson Family were involved. I don't personally know if this view is correct, but feel that Mr O Neill has made a strong case for his views...."
I've been reading 'Chaos' also, it's quite a bit of info to get through, but really highlights the intense drug problem (in California) at the time, the experimentation being done with drugs such as LSD and the effects.
I always said that the murders were more connected to money and drugs than anything else. Manson had just had Gary Hinman murdered, and thought he had also murdered Bernard Crowe, both drugs dealers. And truthfully we have no idea how many others were harmed. Manson himself said at one of his parole hearings that the known murders 'were just the tip of the iceberg'.
And too Manson and the girls had spent months living with Dennis Wilson, who probably introduced Manson to many upper crust money people looking for his drugs.
I have wondered also if Frykowski annoyed Manson, being that he could afford big-time dealing because of Folger supposedly supplying him money?
The part of 'Chaos' which is most eye-opening is Jack Ruby - the thought that he was being drugged and manipulated into his actions.
Strange book, haven't finished it yet, thought provoking.

This is probably not the right thread for this story as it's not related to Manson directly, nor to the crimes, however, it makes for interesting reading.

Roman Polanski and Samantha Geimer, the woman he abused 45 years ago, meet in Paris and are all smiles​

Geimer forgave the legendary filmmaker a long time ago.
In 1977, Roman Polanski was arrested for raping 13-year-old Samantha Geimer in Hollywood. He served time in jail and then fled the US when the judge was about to renege on his release. The case has been a controversial topic for years. However, forty-five years later, Geimer and her husband met with Polanski and his wife in Paris for a French magazine cover interview.

Geimer has always maintained her support for Polanski and claimed that the incident was not a big problem for her. She was fine with it and didn't even know it was illegal.
https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/celebrities/2023/04/29/644ca848e2704e6e198b45d1.html

Charles Manson cult follower Leslie Van Houten should be paroled, appeals court rules​

A California appeals court said Tuesday that Leslie Van Houten, who participated in two killings at the direction of cult leader Charles Manson in 1969, should be let out of prison on parole.

The appellate court's ruling reverses an earlier decision by Gov. Gavin Newsom to reject parole for Van Houten in 2020. She has been recommended for parole five times since 2016. All of those recommendations were rejected by either Newsom or former California Gov. Jerry Brown, with the latest such rejection coming in March of 2022.

California Attorney General Rob Bonta could ask the California Supreme Court to stop her release. Neither his office nor Newsom's immediately responded to requests for comment on whether they would do so.

Van Houten, now in her 70s, is serving a life sentence for helping Manson and other followers kill Leno LaBianca, a grocer in Los Angeles, and his wife Rosemary. Van Houten was 19 at the time.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/leslie-van-houten-charles-manson-labianca-murders-parole/

“A 73-year-old woman who took part in two killings on the orders of cult leader Charles Manson in 1969 should be released from prison on parole, a Californian appeals court has ruled.

Leslie Van Houten is serving a life sentence for helping Manson and other followers kill Leno LaBianca, a grocer in Los Angeles, and his wife Rosemary.”

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/court-rules-woman-73-took-113600422.html

maximus otter

“A 73-year-old woman who took part in two killings on the orders of cult leader Charles Manson in 1969 should be released from prison on parole, a Californian appeals court has ruled.

Leslie Van Houten is serving a life sentence for helping Manson and other followers kill Leno LaBianca, a grocer in Los Angeles, and his wife Rosemary.”

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/court-rules-woman-73-took-113600422.html

maximus otter
I know that film director John Waters has been corresponding with Leslie Van Houten and visiting her for many years now.
I am sharing this link for information purposes. I don't personally hold an opinion concerning Leslie Van Houten being released on parole.

https://www.thewrap.com/leslie-van-houten-john-waters/

The problem is that Van Houten and the others were originally sentenced to death, and the notoriety of their crimes was so horrendous.
We all regret things we've done when younger with no experience and understanding of the world, but then we haven't stabbed someone sixteen or seventeen times.

The problem is that Van Houten and the others were originally sentenced to death, and the notoriety of their crimes was so horrendous.
We all regret things we've done when younger with no experience and understanding of the world, but then we haven't stabbed someone sixteen or seventeen times.
Yes, they can't let her out.

I agree with you and @Floyd1 She has too much notoriety and was involved in one of the 20th Centuries most violent and still spoken about series of crimes.
I can't see her surviving outside of prison in today's world and surely while she'd have her contingent of followers and sympathizers, she'd also be a target for those who feel that a person like her has no place in society.

Freedom is looking even more likely for Van Houten:

Manson family killer Leslie Van Houten will be paroled, lawyer says, after Gov. Newsom drops fight​

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who has repeatedly blocked efforts for Van Houten to be paroled, said Friday he would not challenge her release on parole at the State Supreme Court.
Leslie Van Houten, a follower of Charles Manson who was convicted in two killings, will be paroled in weeks, her attorney said Friday after California’s governor said he would not challenge it at the State Supreme Court.

“She’s thrilled,” Van Houten’s attorney Nancy Tetreault said.

Van Houten, now 73, will be paroled in the next several weeks after spending more than five decades in prison, Tetreault said.

An appeals court ruled in May that Van Houten is eligible for parole, reversing a decision by Gov. Gavin Newsom to reject parole.

Newsom, who has repeatedly blocked efforts for Van Houten to be paroled, had until Monday to file a challenge with the state Supreme Court.

Newsom, a Democrat, said Friday he would not do so.

“The Governor is disappointed by the Court of Appeal’s decision to release Ms. Van Houten but will not pursue further action as efforts to further appeal are unlikely to succeed,” Erin Mellon, spokesperson for the governor’s office, said in a statement.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...wer-leslie-van-houten-parole-newsom-rcna93188

Freedom is looking even more likely for Van Houten:

Manson family killer Leslie Van Houten will be paroled, lawyer says, after Gov. Newsom drops fight​

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who has repeatedly blocked efforts for Van Houten to be paroled, said Friday he would not challenge her release on parole at the State Supreme Court.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...wer-leslie-van-houten-parole-newsom-rcna93188
Ridiculous.
I suspect that enough time has gone by now that most people won't have heard of, or care about the Family anymore.

Ridiculous.
I suspect that enough time has gone by now that most people won't have heard of, or care about the Family anymore.
No, it's still famous. People remember, and Americans have guns. Some chancer might decide to go for a grim sort of fame.

I've had this discussion before on'ere about notorious murders.

One case local to me was the moors murders, committed by the execrable Brady and Hindley.
Both are now dead. They never had a chance of being released, partly because people still alive who knew the victims and their families might have sought them out. It's a public order issue.

Here's something of interest in a morbidly fascinating way...

The door of 10050 Cielo Drive upon which the word 'PIG' was written in blood is to be shortly up for auction.

I can't link to the Facebook page where I came across this info as it's a members only page, however it has images of the door being transported to Los Angeles ahead of its auction (see two below). The description with the images reads:

'The door to Cielo Drive is being loaded and being shipped to Los Angeles to be auctioned off at Julien's Auction House in late August. The door belongs to Christopher Moore, and it has been 30 years since the door has been back to Los Angeles.'

cielodoor1.jpg

cielodoor.jpg

Here's something of interest in a morbidly fascinating way...

The door of 10050 Cielo Drive upon which the word 'PIG' was written in blood is to be shortly up for auction.

I can't link to the Facebook page where I came across this info as it's a members only page, however it has images of the door being transported to Los Angeles ahead of its auction (see two below). The description with the images reads:

'The door to Cielo Drive is being loaded and being shipped to Los Angeles to be auctioned off at Julien's Auction House in late August. The door belongs to Christopher Moore, and it has been 30 years since the door has been back to Los Angeles.'

View attachment 67693

View attachment 67694
You'd have to be (sorry about this) unhinged to buy that!!

Back