• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Chislehurst Caves Ghost

Mushrooms, eh?

Well, we all know how they are cultivated! ;)

I went there about 12 years ago. Fascinating place. The guide told me that one of those on the subesequent watch did the wall carving by the haunted pool to keep himself from turning around as he sensed something very nasty just standing behind him and breathing on his neck.

As for the ammo dump - the place was used as a massive air-raid shelter during the war and has a church with 'stained glass windows' that show under UV light.
Of course none of this is as glamourous as the quelling of a cyberman invasion but in the list of UK oddities..I'd rank it pretty high.

I believe Hendrix played there too...correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Wrong Dr.Who story. "Revenge of the Cybermen" was filmed at Wookey Hole. "The Mutants" was filmed at Chislehurst.

jimv1 said:
I believe Hendrix played there too...correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Not just Hendrix - but Floyd and The Who too, and probably many many others as the caves were an established gig venue in the 60s and 70s.

Did anything come of organising a group visit? I live in the local area and would be more than glad to help out in organising such an event.

I've visited the caves twice and my daughter had her 6th birthday party down there.

I now live far, far away from London and it's satellites - as Chislehurst is sometimes considered. I wish I could support a "cavemeet" as there is so much about the caves - and the area - that could be highlighted.

Stormkhan said:
I now live far, far away from London and it's satellites - as Chislehurst is sometimes considered. I wish I could support a "cavemeet" as there is so much about the caves - and the area - that could be highlighted.

Despite my flaky Dr.Who knowledge, I'd be up for a Fortean gathering at Chislehurst Caves. Would even consider the all-nighter!

The Ghosts of Chislehurst Caves

I started investigating the Ghosts with the owners permission about 20 years ago. I have interviewed most of the people who have worked there including many famous musicians who played there too. I interviewed the two guides that were involved in the final challenge and their story was corroborated by the now-deceased former owner. All the interviews were tape recorded for publication with both the owner and the guides' permission. I was also was given a copy of the tape recording of the evening of the final challenge which had not been heard for over a decade, it also corroborated the testimonies. I eventually got around to publishing the book entitled 'The Ghosts of Chislehurst Caves' this year. I haven't put a link here in case it's regarded as spam and because this is my first post but the book is available for any that are interested on Amazon or direct from me.

Thanks for posting. Found it on Amazon (but says "out of stock") I'm interested in this - can I ask which bands/musicians you interviewed? I guess they played there in the 70's?

It says that because Amazon themselves haven't got any but they are sent direct, if you look at where it says 2 New copies available at 9.99 that is where you click. It is confusing though isn't it? I received anecdotes and one-liners regarding the caves from the early Jazz bands that played including Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball people like 'Crazy' Arthur Brown and the later new wave and punk bands that performed there as well as the DJs that introduced the likes of Hendrix. This part of the book takes up one chapter but the rest is concerned with the hauntings.

paintpop said:
It says that because Amazon themselves haven't got any but they are sent direct, if you look at where it says 2 New copies available at 9.99 that is where you click. It is confusing though isn't it? I received anecdotes and one-liners regarding the caves from the early Jazz bands that played including Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball people like 'Crazy' Arthur Brown and the later new wave and punk bands that performed there as well as the DJs that introduced the likes of Hendrix. This part of the book takes up one chapter but the rest is concerned with the hauntings.

Hello paintpop,

Maybe it was a good thing this book waited until 2011. The Internet is in full bloom,and your book has just been sent to both Kindle apps on my Android phone and the new iPad 5000 miles all the way from the UK to my location in Berkeley.

I've been into a few pages now and I like the level-head honest tone of it already. Odd enough I have a cousin in Elmstead Wood and that's why Chislehurst is a familiar name. :)

I've just ordered mine from the link on Amazon. I can't wait to get it; I've heard a lot about "The Challenge" and a fair amount of the stories are contradictory.

Does your book cover the ASSAP expedition during the 1980s or 1990s?

I'd love to do a vigil in the caves, but I gather they don't let anyone down at night. Is this true? Sad if it is...

Once again nothing spooky to report, but i meet some lovely people and heard some spooky tales and the caves are very interesting, well worth a visit.

Last edited:
A number of years ago I went on one of the guided tours of Chislehurst caves. When we got to the cave with the pond I hung back for a couple of minutes while the rest of the tour carried on just to soak up a little of the ambience on my own. Standing alone in the pitch black darkness, I felt something whizz past my ear before I heard the sound of a stone ricochet off of the tunnel wall behind me. Needless to say, I hastily made my way back to the safety of the tour group and the glow of their lanterns.

Last edited:
A number of years ago I went on one of the guided tours of Chislehurst caves. When we got to the cave with the pond I hung back for a couple of minutes while the rest of the tour carried on just to soak up a little of the ambience on my own. Standing alone in the pitch black darkness, I felt something whizz passed my ear before I heard the sound of a stone ricochet off of the tunnel wall behind me. Needless to say, I hastily made my way back to the safety of the tour group and the glow of their lanterns.

I did exactly the same thing - hung back and had a look down one of the side tunnels. This was before we reached the pool area though. No poltergeist activity, but I thoroughly enjoyed the deliciously creepy atmosphere. Must go again sometime soon.

Back