Coincidences

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A remarkable coincidence on Wednesday at work.

The background: I spent about 37 years in a job dealing with customers by phone and in person in their homes, then took early retirement and now work 3 days a week in a customer service role taking an average of just over 50 phone calls a day. I have spoken to thousands of customers.

On Wednesday, I had a phone call from a Mr Derham. I noticed his surname because it is fairly unusual, and because I used to live near East Dereham and I have the sort of mind that makes quick associations between words that have similarities. Of course, I cannot be certain, but I'm pretty sure that in roughly 40 years in the workplace, I had never spoken to anyone of that name before. I would have noticed because of the similarity to Dereham.

My very next call (I keep a list of calls received and it was literally the next call) was from Mrs Derham. She had no reference number but offered me a postcode. I started to say, "Oh, I've got the reference here on my pad from when Mr Derham just called" before I realised that she had given a postcode for a different area of the country.

So, roughly 40 years without ever speaking to someone of that name, then two in a row, completely independently of each other.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
From the wikipedia page on Robert Todd Lincoln, the longest-living of Abraham Lincoln's children:

He was eyewitness to two presidential assassinations (those of McKinley and Garfield -- he wasn't there when his father died). On top of that, he had his life saved from a railway accident by a passing stranger, who turned out to be Edwin Booth, the brother of his father's assassin John Wilkes Booth.

The incident occurred while a group of passengers were late at night purchasing their sleeping car places from the conductor who stood on the station platform at the entrance of the car. The platform was about the height of the car floor, and there was of course a narrow space between the platform and the car body. There was some crowding, and I happened to be pressed by it against the car body while waiting my turn. In this situation the train began to move, and by the motion I was twisted off my feet, and had dropped somewhat, with feet downward, into the open space, and was personally helpless, when my coat collar was vigorously seized and I was quickly pulled up and out to a secure footing on the platform. Upon turning to thank my rescuer I saw it was Edwin Booth, whose face was of course well known to me, and I expressed my gratitude to him, and in doing so, called him by name.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
From the wikipedia page on Robert Todd Lincoln, the longest-living of Abraham Lincoln's children:

He was eyewitness to two presidential assassinations (those of McKinley and Garfield -- he wasn't there when his father died). On top of that, he had his life saved from a railway accident by a passing stranger, who turned out to be Edwin Booth, the brother of his father's assassin John Wilkes Booth.
Good job he wasn’t at his fathers assassination otherwise questions might have been asked. Present at three presidential assassinations? A coincidence you say?

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
The last post I read in the IHTM Forum was in the Funny And/Or Weird Happenings Whilst Drunk thread:
Man gets wasted, legally changes name to Celine Dion
(posted by EnolaGaia Jan. 1)

The very next thread I checked was Fortean Headlines in the Fortean News Forum. Immediately I saw:
Man gets wasted, legally changes name to Celine Dion
(posted by Lord Lucan Jan. 1)

Great minds think alike.

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Even more coincidentally, when I looked at some of the linked articles to see where "Celine" is from, he lives no more than about 10 miles from me, in a village which has (for mundane reasons, really) been much in my mind recently!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Earlier I was watching YouTube on my TV and a video about Clark Gable came up. It detailed his gum problems which caused the loss most of his teeth and the need for dentures by the age of 36.

He also had very bad breath. His female co-stars disliked getting close to him because of it.

I hadn't known about this and was highly amused.

Now I'm watching the recent adaptation of Blithe Spirit. The protagonist is a screenwriter and his wife suggests Clark Gable as the star of his next big work. The producer replies 'Good actor, terrible breath. Very tricky for the leading ladies.'

If i hadn't seen the video about Gable I'd've thought this was made up!

tl:dr - Two mentions of Clark Gable's bad breath in short order.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Approximately 22 hours ago I posted in the RIP thread about the death of long-time character actor Peter Mark Richman:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/rest-in-peace-the-r-i-p-thread.30162/post-2027362

Tonight I turn on the TV to catch a vintage Twilight Zone episode, and it's the episode in which he's in the lead role ...

The Fear
Season 5 | Episode 35 (May 1964)

Trooper Scott Franklin stops by Charlotte Scott's remote cabin to see if she's alright. She is a big city fashion editor who is looking for peace and quiet while Franklin is a local who sees her as a snob. They are soon drawn to together when a giant creature seems to appear in the woods just outside Charlotte's cabin. Franklin's patrol car is overturned and her telephone is suddenly out of order. Together, they will have to overcome their fears and deal with the extra-terrestrial creature that has appeared, which turns out to be something altogether unexpected.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734638/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_128

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
Together, they will have to overcome their fears and deal with the extra-terrestrial creature that has appeared, which turns out to be something altogether unexpected.
It must have been love.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
Ancient Aliens has given me a couple of coincidences recently. Half watching the Vikings episode and half looking at the internet I saw an advert for a tattoo parlour where a young man had had the ravens Hugin and Munin tatooed on his chest. I was admiring the work :shy: and re-reading the names as I wasn't familiar with them when they were read out by the narrator. Gave me a bit of a shock!

The other was the narrator reading out the word Peru at the same time I was looking at a piece of pyrites in my mineral collection that is labelled from Peru. Okay that one is a bit less coincidental but it jogged my memory of the ravens!

feinman

"For your perusal... A dinner date with aliens.."
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of synchronicities occurring related to this forum; a LOT of them, too. As if this forum is our collective unconscious, group mind or egregore.. Wouldn't be surprising really... I was just discussing rings with a forum member (not Frideswide) on email and then Comfortablynumb sent the unicorn ring link, for example. I noticed a lot when I was working on my avatar sequence, before the current pic.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of synchronicities occurring related to this forum; a LOT of them, too. As if this forum is our collective unconscious, group mind or egregore.. Wouldn't be surprising really... I was just discussing rings with a forum member (not Frideswide) on email and then Comfortablynumb sent the unicorn ring link, for example. I noticed a lot when I was working on my avatar sequence, before the current pic.
Yup, earlier I was about to click on the thread about crisps when Techy suddenly said 'Do you want a bag of crisps?'
gulp

feinman

"For your perusal... A dinner date with aliens.."
Reaction score
I think it is time.... We start thinking about.. WINNING THE LOTTERY!!! :badge: