• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Insomnia

Yup, I'm across the pond. Have you eaten violets to know their taste? Are they edible?
I guess they must be edible Kate – although to be honest I’ve never eaten an actual Violet lol. I do know that I used to like the sweets (sorry candy) as a kid, and I certainly do know that Mrs DT loves to drink the violet flavoured gin.

My hotel bar bill was eye watering when I checked out on Sunday morning.

I guess they must be edible Kate – although to be honest I’ve never eaten an actual Violet lol. I do know that I used to like the sweets (sorry candy) as a kid, and I certainly do know that Mrs DT loves to drink the violet flavoured gin.

My hotel bar bill was eye watering when I checked out on Sunday morning.
I had thought perhaps the candy (sorry, sweets*) earned the name from the color rather than from any authenticity of flavor, but now on a dare I would try the treat, then bite down on a delicate violet just to see, lol. o_O

*actually, I have a great fondness for British English, probably because so many books read in childhood were British (The Secret Garden, Alice in Wonderland, etc.), books which were magical to me. The differences in spelling, vocabulary and usage were fascinating, never annoying.

I had thought perhaps the candy (sorry, sweets*) earned the name from the color rather than from any authenticity of flavor, but now on a dare I would try the treat, then bite down on a delicate violet just to see, lol. o_O

*actually, I have a great fondness for British English, probably because so many books read in childhood were British (The Secret Garden, Alice in Wonderland, etc.), books which were magical to me. The differences in spelling, vocabulary and usage were fascinating, never annoying.
Where are you from? or are living now? I am in Arizona.

Kate, English* Violets are edible and can be crystallised to use as cake decorations in the same way as rose petals. TBH they are not a taste sensation, but the sweets and the Gin are quite palatable and a very nice colour

* there might be other flowers called "Violets" like American Robins aren't the same as British Robins

The last time l was there, they’d shoot you for wandering into the wrong bit.

maximus otter
MC.jpg

The last time l was there, they’d shoot you for wandering into the wrong bit.

maximus otter
I used to work with a man from Germany -
He lived in West Germany at the time, and took the train to go home after work one night.
Well he fell asleep and ended up in East Germany, and the police picked him up.
They gave him a terrible time, he had all his ID on him to prove that he was a West German citizen, and finally they let him go.
But he said he never fell asleep again on that train!

Did you catch his memoirs on R4 Extra recently? Highly entertaining. :)
Have you read his autobiography..? A bloody good read Scargy.

I’ve often thought of Michael Caine of being quite fortean himself. In his book he said that someone once asked him if he believed in God, and he Yes, purely because of the incredible coincidences that have happed to him throughout his entire life.

The way he met his wife was a huge coincidence.

Kate, English* Violets are edible and can be crystallised to use as cake decorations in the same way as rose petals. TBH they are not a taste sensation, but the sweets and the Gin are quite palatable and a very nice colour

* there might be other flowers called "Violets" like American Robins aren't the same as British Robins
The violets here are edible. As are rose petals, rose hips, calendula officinalis petals, tagetes patula petals. Several flowers are edible. As for taste, though?

*I did name them with their proper names as I'd hate to use a common name and someone think that an entirely different plant is edible and then be poisoned.

Last edited:
The violets here are edible. As are rose petals, rose hips, calendula officinalis petals, tagetes patula petals. Several flowers are edible. As for taste, though?

*I did name them with their proper names as I'd hate to use a common name and someone think that an entirely different plant is edible and then be poisoned.
Parma violets taste like violets smell. So a very 'perfumey' taste.

Thanks for the detail!

Thanks for more detail!

@Dick Turpin - Dick, just thought I'd mention;

MrsF came back with these the other day. I know this will sound daft, but while I wouldn't say they helped me sleep much, if any better, they did make me more relaxed about the whole affair.
Might be worth a try. (from Home Bargains).
Tablets.jpg

My go-to sleep aid is a night-time concoction of valerian and camomile made into a tea.
Trouble is, getting to sleep is no problem; my issue is being woken up or waking up in the early hours - I find it difficult to get back to sleep. And then the thinking starts ...
I mean, thinking about what's happened or what needs to be done, worrying about solutions to problems etc. I've tried telling myself there's nothing I can do in the night, but I just don't listen to me!

My go-to sleep aid is a night-time concoction of valerian and camomile made into a tea.
Trouble is, getting to sleep is no problem; my issue is being woken up or waking up in the early hours - I find it difficult to get back to sleep. And then the thinking starts ...
I mean, thinking about what's happened or what needs to be done, worrying about solutions to problems etc. I've tried telling myself there's nothing I can do in the night, but I just don't listen to me!
Me too. Off like a log for the first couple of hours.

I worry about such depressing things though, like 'the dog will die in a few short years' or 'I really shouldn't have 'had relations' with my best mates ex-wife'- as you say, things that I can do stuff all about.

Me too. Off like a log for the first couple of hours.
Ditto. I have absolutely no trouble dropping off…it’s staying dropped off that is the problem. Two or three hours (max) and I’m wide awake.
It’s only when I give up trying to sleep knowing I have to get up for work that I will doze and reawaken bleary eyed and worse for wear.

Ditto. I have absolutely no trouble dropping off…it’s staying dropped off that is the problem. Two or three hours (max) and I’m wide awake.
It’s only when I give up trying to sleep knowing I have to get up for work that I will doze and reawaken bleary eyed and worse for wear.
Maybe you me and Stormkhan should try sleeping together to see if that helps?

Maybe you me and Stormkhan should try sleeping together to see if that helps?
A bottle of Jameson helps but I feel like shit the next day and fear the arrival of the drug and alcohol testers at work.
Then the paranoia sets in…

Back