• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Creepy Sleepwalkers/Talkers

Once I had a dream that I was being chased by a shark and was swimming away as fast as I could. The next day, my roommate said it looked like I had been running in bed.

Sometimes I talk in my sleep, and i grind my teeth a lot too, according to my girlfriend. But whenever I talk, I most often wake myself up. Quite frequently, I wake up bolt upright, screaming because in my nightmare, i was unable to move. My Mum also talks in her sleep a lot, me and my younger brother would have conversations with her when we were little. Quite often she says 'it's quarter past two'. That's usually the first thing she starts to speak about when she does talk in her sleep. I've no idea what that means. Recently, my brother has started shouting in his sleep although I forget what about now. He also sleepwalked recently for the first time. My mum and her partner were out, and when they came back, they saw my brother asleep in their bed. He'd gone to sleep in his own bed and has no memory of getting into theirs! They gave him such a big telling off! lol.

riverfern said:
He also sleepwalked recently for the first time. My mum and her partner were out, and when they came back, they saw my brother asleep in their bed. He'd gone to sleep in his own bed and has no memory of getting into theirs! They gave him such a big telling off! lol.

lol! :) I used to do that with my olds but I'd also have no recollection of it in the morning either. I was once discovered underneath the covers, scrunched up at the foot of their bed. Apparently I was guided back to my own bed without even 'waking'.

Ever since I was a kid I have ranted, raved, cursed and blasphemed in my sleep. Loudly! Which made family camping trips erm, "interesting".

These days I still do it, which ensures I always get my own hotel room when on tour, regardless of budgets, because no-one else will sleep in the same room! The last poor soul who had to share with me had the un-settling experience of being awake when I sat bolt up right and told him I was going to cut his throat. I actually was starting to wake when I sat up and knew exactly what I had just said, though unable to stop myself, so when he said "Wwwwhat???", I just replied "Nothing, go to sleep". Considering he had only met me for the first time that day, I think it's understandable that he didn't sleep, and slept on the couch in another room for the remaining 3 weeks.

Sometimes I'm shouting and swearing so loudly I wake myself up, and just catch the end of what I'm ranting about, and I'm sorry to say it is generally something unsavoury. Not so long back I woke up (along with half the Travellodge) promising to "nail all you f****** Christians to crosses". Maybe I'm a little over-sensitive, but I felt breakfast next day was a little tense!
The use of highly offensive racist language is unfortunately high on the list, and I think that anxiety about it happening in "public", coupled with being tired, actually makes it happen. My Dad once bumped into me on the landing at 4am, wearing just shorts, armed to the teeth as I was heading to the door, apparently to defend my car from some "f****** n******" intent on stealing it. I don't know what scared him more, the family motors under attack by what would have to be an invisible enemy, or the sight of me, young Rambo, on my way to kill anything that moved in the street. Can't remember how he dealt with it, but remember the occasion, because again, I was half-awake. I don't think anything more was said about it, but I recall being encouraged to hand over keys to gun cabinet ("for safe keeping") and my teenage flick-knife/bayonet/survival knife collection was "tidied away" then too. Probably just as well!!

Family obviously are well used to it, though if any of them has cause to wake me, they do it with extreme caution, only getting to just within arm's reach. Many years ago poor old Mum learned not to lean over me when waking me, the screamed expletive shocked her so she didn't move quick enough to avoid the flying fist..........
Friends, work colleagues, girlfriends, anyone who may encounter me asleep all seem to be highly aware of the dangers of that situation, even without having to dodge a punch, so I'm pretty sure they share the knowledge, kind of like a Public Service Announcement.

I should add that I'm Narcoleptic, so spend a great deal of time asleep, or somewhere between awake and asleep, though rarely sleep well (if that makes sense!) Evidently the area of the brain affected is closely related to that affected by Tourettes Syndrome, which I feel goes a long way to explain why I will be howling obscenities in the dead of the night. Or day!

Once my ex and I were in bed together, with me laying sleepless and staring at the ceiling. Suddenly, he rolled and leaned over me very slowly and menacingly, like he was rising from the crypt, and stared me with a Lovecraftian insane bug-eyed grimace on his face.

In a commanding and ominous voice he said,

"And when you put it all together, it goes CHUNG CHUNG CHUNG."

He then rolled back over slowly, like a vampire in a bad movie, and went back to sleep.

Needless to say, I remained sleepless for the rest of the night.

evilcupcakes said:
Once my ex and I were in bed together, with me laying sleepless and staring at the ceiling. Suddenly, he rolled and leaned over me very slowly and menacingly, like he was rising from the crypt, and stared me with a Lovecraftian insane bug-eyed grimace on his face.

He then rolled back over slowly, like a vampire in a bad movie, and went back to sleep.

Needless to say, I remained sleepless for the rest of the night.

:shock:

I may never sleep again.

All I have to add to this thread is that an acquaintance of mine stayed over one night, and I got up in the night and walked through the room he was in. He sat up, looked straight at me, and said (in a voice that I can't adequately express over a message board), "Creepy, creepy little girl..."

-Kat

evilcupcakes said:

Oh dear, I nearly peed myself laughing there... :wow:

Mind you, my brother used to work for a large electronic company after graduation and one night he sat upright in is bed , woke his girlfriend up, pointed frightened at the ceiling lamp and shouted that the dictaphones are gonna get him...after that he lay back down and snored.

My Mum used to work the nightshift at the soapworks, and her co-workers have still tell the stories of her sleep-antics.

On one occasion, the woman sitting next to my Mum turned around, to see her sitting forward, eyes shut, mouth open - with a bar of soap in her hand talking into it, like it was a telephone.

My favourite, and it must have been just horrible :) , was when she fell asleep at work and awoke to find a bar of peach soap in her hand - with a bit taken out of it and the missing piece in her mouth - even the smell of the stuff makes me lightheaded - EWW!!

Not quite sleep walking/talking etc, but my Dad used to have the worst cases of night terrors ever.

At the dead of night he would just suddenly start screaming for no reason at all. I mean, totally blood curdling screams. Even the slightest sound of me coming in after a night out e.g me creeping up the stairs was enough to set him off.

The first time my wife (then my girlfriend) stayed over at my parents house, right on cue, my Dad let out a belter!! She wondered what the hell was going on. I simply looked up in a half awake slumber and murmered something about it being my Dad. What I should have done was pretended not to have heard anything and then said 'It was probably the ghost of the young man who was murdered on the landing before we lived here'........and then rolled over, pretending to go back to sleep!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

An ex of mine used to shake me awake and talk to me without actually uttering any words - she'd be moving her mouth and making the sort of "plap plap" noise of talking but no words would come out. That used to scare the bejeesus out of me.

a friend of mine burgled her own house in her sleep :shock: my nanna woke up one night by the sound of my grandad screaming about the crows at the end of the bed she turn to him to see he had his hand pointed out like a gun and he was trying to shoot his own feet he was wearing black socks in bed at the time at the time. :D

This happened just last night. My beautiful wife apparently has been known for her sleepwalk/sleeptalk. My stepdaughter tells me that she and her siblings had often had extended conversations with her while she was asleep. I have had limited chances to experience (married only 3 years) this with her until last night.

It had been a very long day and she was VERY exhausted. Last night while watching television, she acted as though she had dozed off on the sofa a couple of times, but always picked her head up to continue watching the show. She kept on trying to engage me in conversation about several topics. Unfortunately, she was so incoherent in her thought process, I thought she had been drinking or something. Finally I suggested she go to bed and watch television from there. She agreed, and we retired.

About two hours later, the tv was on, she was snoring lightly. The sound was turned higher than I wanted, so I nudged her and asked her to turn it down.

She opened her eyes, said ok, and then started trying to use the remote to turn it down. I watched her repeatedly tap her thumb on the nonexistent remote control. I said, "Hon, what are you doing?"

"I'm turning down the damn tv, but this thing isn't working!"

I said, "Hon, look at your hand!"

She did, then picked up the remote off the nightstand and turned it down. She immediately fell asleep once more.

This morning, she had no memory of any of it. Very weird!

My little brother sleepwalks _all the time_, and I share a bedroom with him (Still)

He's done the "Sit up and stare at you" a ton of times, and talked to people even more.

One memorable occasion is when he got out of bed, climbed onto his mattress, and started beating the ceiling with his fists in a heartbeat-rythym.

I don't need to comment on what nearly left my body at that moment.

Years ago, my then boyfriend had just started working as a chef in a newly opened restaurant/bar. We went to the grand opening, and I had a lot of free booze. Anyway, we went home and I got into bed. I must have fallen asleep because I thought I was still at the restaurant, lying on one of the couches, watching all the people dancing and having a good time. Then my boyfriend comes in and starts taking his clothes off ready for bed. He was quite surprised when I told him off for getting naked 'in front of all these people!'

HITLER

I haven't posted on this website for ages, life got in the way and I kinda forgot to check the message board. I now have a new job which allows me at least 2 hours a day were I get to look on the FT message board (without them knowing). BLISS!!

Anyway, this thread about sleep talking and walking really reminded me of when I woke up right in the middle of me saying something to my boyfriend.

I can't recall what I was dreaming about, but I woke my boyfriend up by shaking him (I was in a sleep state), he was startled and asked me what the matter was. I replied :-

" Hitler is the new judge on the X-Factor".

This always makes me chuckle when I think about it. :lol:

Re: HITLER

kateadamson86 said:
" Hitler is the new judge on the X-Factor".

It's so true. :lol:

I've had the pleasure of having the bejesus scared out of my thanks to the wifes inane ramblings whilst asleep. Such golden moments included :

"Spiders....Spiders.....SPIDERS!"

"No.....No...Your sleep talking"

"Turn the light off they will see"

...but you know what the worst occasions are, when I am actually going to bed and approaching the bedroom door and can hear her talking, almost in whispers but I can't make anything out and I swear sometimes it sounds like a conversation. You know back and forth with pauses only I can't hear the other person. The moment you open the door the talking stops and the room suddenly feels odd, almost out of place.

Now thats scary!

I am a bit of a sleep mutterer. My girlfriend-at-the-time tells the story of lying there late one night, early in our relationship, watching me sleeping next to her... presumably marvelling at how exceptionally lucky she was to have found me :roll:

All of a sudden, as if from nowhere, I yelled at the top of my voice and headbutted her in the nose.

It must have been an intense dream. Naturally I don't remember a thing (other than being confronted with the results of my brutality in the morning).

I say 'girlfriend-at-the-time', as you would expect this sort of behaviour to be fairly terminal to a relationship. wouldn't you?

Reader... I married her :lol:

Draenog said:
I am a bit of a sleep mutterer. etc etc

That's a quality story! :lol: Do you still sleep in the same bed, gumshields and all?

Coming in a tangent, albiet this was uncouncious speech while in bed, no sleeping was taking place at the time.

At least not on my part.

Whilst in the throws of passion with a former girlfriend I once blurted out loudly "gas fires". No idea why, caught up in it all I guess, my subconcious suddenly grabbed something my mind and articulated it. I figure....

We laughed all the way through to the very,very good "end". In fact I would even go so far as to say the laughter actually improved the "end".

Two titbits:

1. I moved into a 200-year-old house in late 2016, and although it was spooky at first (much of the property is "as it was" and also has a sad history), by the next spring I had settled in. Now, I am not the sort to shout, but one night I woke myself and my other half up by screaming. I was having a nightmare about a rat-faced man coming into the room, but according to my partner I was pointing at the opposite side of the room to the door. It's never happened to me before or since, and I put it down to a panic attack of some sort.

2. I had a friend in Cornwall who decided to record himself sleeping, just for a laugh. When he listened back, there was a long section of some sort of noise, static perhaps, and I can't remember his exact words but he said that the sleeping "him" reacted to the sound somehow. I think he was so freaked out by it that he deleted the recording.

I had a friend in Cornwall who decided to record himself sleeping, just for a laugh. When he listened back, there was a long section of some sort of noise, static perhaps

I had a 'sleeptalk' recorder on my old phone. It was sound-activated and seemed to pick up constant snoring and farting, cats fighting, vague mutterings and people walking on bare floorboards in heavy shoes which last bit doesn't happen at night here.

I am a bit of a sleep mutterer. My girlfriend-at-the-time tells the story of lying there late one night, early in our relationship, watching me sleeping next to her... presumably marvelling at how exceptionally lucky she was to have found me :roll:

All of a sudden, as if from nowhere, I yelled at the top of my voice and headbutted her in the nose.

It must have been an intense dream. Naturally I don't remember a thing (other than being confronted with the results of my brutality in the morning).

I say 'girlfriend-at-the-time', as you would expect this sort of behaviour to be fairly terminal to a relationship. wouldn't you?

Reader... I married her :lol:

There's a recent R4 series about sleep - Mysteries of Sleep - in which the wife of man with a serious sleep disorder describes his habit of trying to have sex with her when they're both asleep. His sleeping behaviour has seen him imprisoned on the past.

My SO sometimes types in mid-air when they're asleep. I've often been tempted to hold a computer keyboard above their fingertips, to reveal the innermost devilish depths of their plans against me.
(ps they are a trained touch-typist, whereas I'm a self-taught keybasher, and for reasons unclear, I'm much faster'n them

pps there would be an inherent transposition code flaw effect in this analysis, that could result in me concluding that they're The Antichrist, when in fact they're just typing a grocery list)

I had a 'sleeptalk' recorder on my old phone. It was sound-activated and seemed to pick up constant snoring and farting, cats fighting, vague mutterings and people walking on bare floorboards in heavy shoes which last bit doesn't happen at night here.

It was all so far, so-so until the last bit :eek: Did the other sounds seem amplified at all? The microphones on phones aren't always that good, so it's possible the app made an ordinary noise sound more extreme.

There's a recent R4 series about sleep - Mysteries of Sleep - in which the wife of man with a serious sleep disorder describes his habit of trying to have sex with her when they're both asleep. His sleeping behaviour has seen him imprisoned on the past.

Was the interviewee Julian Assange?

Back