• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dangerous Dogs

We train our dogs here not to accept any food from a stranger - or pick up and eat unless told to.

Our problem is with our state governments propensity for 1080 baits...and also the fact that Foxes and Magpies will carry and drop/cache Sodium Fluoroacetate without harm, far from the original marked placement.

Because of the hue and cry raised over this poison by nearly all of us, all 1080 baits are now coloured blue.

What are they baiting for? And blue? Because dogs can tell colours and anything blue they won't eat?:huh:

What are they baiting for? And blue? Because dogs can tell colours and anything blue they won't eat?:huh:
Wild - Feral Dogs in National Parks, and Blue, because Humans can see them.

Each bait is accounted for on a register, and as such, we need to inform the authorities of the number of Canis Familiaris corpses that are usually within close proximituy to where the bait was placed...any left over are counted and disposed of by digging a bloody big hole.

https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/your-env...-/media/b3a19cef99b3450dabcfaaa14747bb84.ashx

I looked 1080 up. Nasty.
It is nasty stuff, and yet in our north western area of Australia, it, flouroacetate, can be found in three Genera of Flora.

The whole point in isolating and focussing on this ingredient was because, in comparison, Australian animals tolerance to it, is much, much higher than European animals.

Seeing as how toxic it is, it can only be used in Australia and New Zealand.

As you pointed out BM - nasty.

This is absolutely terrible. Reads like the worst sort of horror film.

https://meaww.com/kyleen-waltman-mom-mauled-by-pitbulls-wakes-to-see-both-arms-amputated

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/kyleen-waltman-coma-dogs-arms-b2050940.html

https://nypost.com/2022/04/05/mom-attacked-by-pit-bulls-shocked-by-arm-amputation/

And in addition to losing both arms the poor woman has other dire injuries that would be life changing on their own. She may have amazing fortitude but for most people what she has to face for the rest of her life amounts to a genuine living hell. Not to mention the distress of her family.

Look, I'm a dog lover and I understand any dog from any breed can attack if provoked, but there are certain breeds that have been bred for fighting for generations and they are just not safe. Further breeding of pit bulls and a couple of other fighting breeds needs to be banned.

And in this case the owner wants putting down as well as the dogs - and I'm not normally in favour of such things.:mad:

Last edited:
Look, I'm a dog lover and I understand any dog from any breed can attack if provoked, but there are certain breeds that have been bred for fighting for generations and they are just not safe. Further breeding of pit bulls and a couple of other fighting breeds needs to be banned.

And in this case the owner wants putting down as well as the dogs - and I'm not normally in favour of such things.:mad:
Provinces of Manitoba and Ontario, Canada have banned pit bull breeding.

Further breeding of pit bulls and a couple of other fighting breeds needs to be banned.

- At which point the breeders will simply “cross in” one-sixteenth or one-thirty-second Staffy, or Malinois, or whatever, and - Hey presto! - “It’s not a pit bull, officer, it’s a Staffordshire Fluffykins.”

“Banning a dog breed” is like trying to ban one of the potential 64,000 shades of grey.

maximus otter

- At which point the breeders will simply “cross in” one-sixteenth or one-thirty-second Staffy, or Malinois, or whatever, and - Hey presto! - “It’s not a pit bull, officer, it’s a Staffordshire Fluffykins.”

“Banning a dog breed” is like trying to ban one of the potential 64,000 shades of grey.

maximus otter
That'd be true maybe 40 years ago. Now there is DNA. But, as in some other areas, the determination to pass properly defined laws and actually enforce them simply isn't there.

Yup, neighbours believe the owner taught the dogs to be mean. They'd already bitten people. Seems it was only a matter of time.

We in the UK are only hearing about this attack because the woman survived with horrific injuries and there was a heartrending story about her needing to be re-sedated.
You know the drill: a spot of there but for the grace of God along with her suitability as a 'respectable' victim; youngish, white, female, mother of three etc.

Dog attacks make great copy if they happen to the right people.

maximus otter
Perhaps a ban should be on size or some other physical characteristic?

Yup, neighbours believe the owner taught the dogs to be mean. They'd already bitten people. Seems it was only a matter of time.

We in the UK are only hearing about this attack because the woman survived with horrific injuries and there was a heartrending story about her needing to be re-sedated.
You know the drill: a spot of there but for the grace of God along with her suitability as a 'respectable' victim; youngish, white, female, mother of three etc.

Dog attacks make great copy if they happen to the right people.
Well my heart was certainly rended. But I know what you are saying. Had it been some poor hobo we'd never had heard of it.

Jn my upinion there are people walking this Planet of ours that should be prohibited from having Animals...or Children.

My Dog is a large breed, crossed with all sorts of hunting/guard dogs, to get an animal that exhibits a good nose, speed, agility, and fearlessness designed specifically to hunt down Feral pigs.

She is as scary as hell to look at, and If I didn't know her, I'd run a mile...or two.

She isn't a savage dog - She isn't anti social.

There is a 'nature', in my opinion, that certain breeds are capable of - be that good or bad, and with specific treatment and nurturing, that animal (read human) will turn out exactly as you read that breed.

As I said at the start, some people should be prohibited from having animals, or Children.

Here is a gratuitous snap of wor Bella...as I said scary to look at, but will let the chooks pinch Her tucker.

Attachments

• 274649320_10159757837311505_7376447777845704482_n.jpg
    274649320_10159757837311505_7376447777845704482_n.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 25
It does look like it, doesn't it...wor bella only has one eye.

It does look like it, doesn't it...wor bella only has one eye.
I had adopted a rescue cat who lost both his eyes to infection. When he was sitting quietly, people would think that he was sleeping. He still had his eyebrows and I knew when he was looking at me. And yes, I always believed that he watched me. From the moment that I met him, he looked directly at me, with his ears forward when I spoke to him. That was when I knew he had to come home with me.

It's so difficult. I'm still firmly of the opinion there's no such thing as an innately 'dangerous dog' (although those who are a greater mix of 'fighting' breeds may have 'tendencies'). With most dogs, training can overcome instinct, if the dog is bright enough. But the dog I have felt most at risk of attack from was my partner's labrador - who didn't like people and had a tendency to grab arms and also snap. He couldn't see it, because he'd got used to the behaviour.

I still believe the most dangerous dog is a working dog that isn't allowed to do what it was bred for, and is kept as a 'pet' and underexercised. Around here, the dog you have to watch out for most is either the husky kept in a yard, or a Border Collie.

I had adopted a rescue cat who lost both his eyes to infection. When he was sitting quietly, people would think that he was sleeping. He still had his eyebrows and I knew when he was looking at me. And yes, I always believed that he watched me. From the moment that I met him, he looked directly at me, with his ears forward when I spoke to him. That was when I knew he had to come home with me.
Your post broke my heart in the nicest way possible Brownmane - thank you.

It's so difficult. I'm still firmly of the opinion there's no such thing as an innately 'dangerous dog' (although those who are a greater mix of 'fighting' breeds may have 'tendencies'). With most dogs, training can overcome instinct, if the dog is bright enough. But the dog I have felt most at risk of attack from was my partner's labrador - who didn't like people and had a tendency to grab arms and also snap. He couldn't see it, because he'd got used to the behaviour.

I still believe the most dangerous dog is a working dog that isn't allowed to do what it was bred for, and is kept as a 'pet' and underexercised. Around here, the dog you have to watch out for most is either the husky kept in a yard, or a Border Collie.
You're right, especially over which dogs bite most. Family pets like labs and collies are the main culprits because there are more of them especially around children.

You're right, especially over which dogs bite most. Family pets like labs and collies are the main culprits because there are more of them especially around children.
Border collies are noted to be always half mad. But people get them as pets and don't realise the sheer amount of physical exercise and training they need, EVERY DAY. I was reading somewhere on a doggy part of Reddit, where people were advising someone getting a new dog that 'it would need walking at least once a day'. Well, I know they said 'at least', but once a day won't even touch the sides for most young dogs. My dog is seven and a half and we do a six mile a day run followed by at least another five shorter outings.

It's a wonder I'm not seven stone...

Also, a dog has a place in a family and needs to be trained to remember that.

For example, feeding time is not up to Fido. The owner sets it and the dog waits for when food is put out.
That's why letting dogs beg table scraps is wrong; it undermines the dog's belief in its position in the family and encourages it to feel dominant.

Adopting an adult dog is risky. Moving a dog to a new home is traumatic for it on top of whatever the reason for it. A dog arriving in a new household where there are children will naturally feel nervous and threatened, and might try to assert itself over younger family members.
It doesn't take Cesar Millan to work that out.

Border collies are noted to be always half mad. But people get them as pets and don't realise the sheer amount of physical exercise and training they need, EVERY DAY. I was reading somewhere on a doggy part of Reddit, where people were advising someone getting a new dog that 'it would need walking at least once a day'. Well, I know they said 'at least', but once a day won't even touch the sides for most young dogs. My dog is seven and a half and we do a six mile a day run followed by at least another five shorter outings.

It's a wonder I'm not seven stone...
Yup, when I walked my dogs in the woods I'd notice that some breeds were indefatigable while others could hardly be bothered to drag themselves around the loop. :chuckle:

Yesterday we were sat outside at a pub during a bike expedition when a bloke parked up and let a Labrador out. The dog stood obediently while its lead was put on and man and dog pottered off to the bar.

When I later popped in to return our glasses I naturally stroked the dog, named Jeffrey, and remarked to the owner that we'd noticed Jeffrey putting him on the lead. ;)

What a sweet lad Jeffrey is. :)

Yup, when I walked my dogs in the woods I'd notice that some breeds were indefatigable while others could hardly be bothered to drag themselves around the loop. :chuckle:

Yesterday we were sat outside at a pub during a bike expedition when a bloke parked up and let a Labrador out. The dog stood obediently while its lead was put on and man and dog pottered off to the bar.

When I later popped in to return our glasses I naturally stroked the dog, named Jeffrey, and remarked to the owner that we'd noticed Jeffrey putting him on the lead. ;)

What a sweet lad Jeffrey is. :)
But I bet Jeffrey was over two years old...

Older dogs, and some breeds, notoriously don't really like walking that much (especially in the rain) and can be cut a lot of slack. They become strangely catlike, with a desire to stay on the sofa within easy reach of a fire and biscuits.

As I type this, my dog is pawing at me, chewing my nose and trying to climb on my shoulder. I know I will miss this when she is old and lazy but for now I can't wait for the 'catlike' phase to cut in.

But I bet Jeffrey was over two years old...

Older dogs, and some breeds, notoriously don't really like walking that much (especially in the rain) and can be cut a lot of slack. They become strangely catlike, with a desire to stay on the sofa within easy reach of a fire and biscuits.

As I type this, my dog is pawing at me, chewing my nose and trying to climb on my shoulder. I know I will miss this when she is old and lazy but for now I can't wait for the 'catlike' phase to cut in.
Yup, both my last dogs were desperate for Walkies right to the end but they certainly did slow down.
Rocky (boxer/Staffie) was totally mad on walks until he was 10, after which he stopped running up and down a field four times before settling into chasing rabbits. :chuckle:

A disabled friend of mine was talking about acquiring a Staffie that someone was offloading a couple of years ago. I said 'They need their exercise. You can't walk a dog every day. I'll end up lumbered with it!'
He regretfully agreed. A dog would have been great company for him but he couldn't have exercised it.

Yup, both my last dogs were desperate for Walkies right to the end but they certainly did slow down.
Rocky (boxer/Staffie) was totally mad on walks until he was 10, after which he stopped running up and down a field four times before settling into chasing rabbits. :chuckle:

A disabled friend of mine was talking about acquiring a Staffie that someone was offloading a couple of years ago. I said 'They need their exercise. You can't walk a dog every day. I'll end up lumbered with it!'
He regretfully agreed. A dog would have been great company for him but he couldn't have exercised it.
A lady locally was advertising for a companion dog for her very elderly (93) mother. The advert contained many assertions of how the daughter would go round three times a day to walk the dog, would make sure the dog was correctly fed and given plenty of exercise. I was debating with a friend about how a retired greyhound may serve the purpose, but then said 'why doesn't she just get a cat?' Nobody could answer that question.

I had a chihuahua, and even she went for walks. Though we could tire her out after a couple of city blocks. Once tired, she would try to walk up to every house's entryway to pooch out. We only had to scoop her up and carry her home.

If she were a bigger dog, I wouldn't have trusted her temperament. She was definitely a one person dog (I was hers). She never bit me, but came close and she did bite my husband once when she was sore from her spay.

All dogs can become unpredictable when they are ill. The pack behaviour makes them hide illness for as long as possible.

The time that she almost bit me was that I'd given her a bone to chew. When I went to pick it up, she snipped at me. I never gave her anything but her regular food after.

I had a chihuahua, and even she went for walks. Though we could tire her out after a couple of city blocks. Once tired, she would try to walk up to every house's entryway to pooch out. We only had to scoop her up and carry her home.

If she were a bigger dog, I wouldn't have trusted her temperament. She was definitely a one person dog (I was hers). She never bit me, but came close and she did bite my husband once when she was sore from her spay.

All dogs can become unpredictable when they are ill. The pack behaviour makes them hide illness for as long as possible.

The time that she almost bit me was that I'd given her a bone to chew. When I went to pick it up, she snipped at me. I never gave her anything but her regular food after.
For safety's sake, I always taught all my dogs that I was allowed to take food away from them. You never know when they might pick up something out in the street that might not be good for them, that you have to take off them. My dogs have always accepted it with a certain weary resignation (even the current dreadful one).

For safety's sake, I always taught all my dogs that I was allowed to take food away from them. You never know when they might pick up something out in the street that might not be good for them, that you have to take off them. My dogs have always accepted it with a certain weary resignation (even the current dreadful one).
Yes. Mine was still a puppy when she tried to snip at me. I made sure that I could take anything away from her without her reacting. I just never again handed her something that she would even consider that she would try to defend it from me. That would just confuse her.

For my thoughts on dangerous dogs, I do believe that there are more aggressive dog breeds. There are also many people who do not know how to handle a dog. Dog behaviour is due to their pack nature. That can't be changed, but, again a lot of people don't know what this means.

I grew up on a farm. We had German shepherds, a collie, a dachshund mix. Most were working dogs and my mom knew how to train them.

Some were quite protective of us, especially when chained (only when we were not outside).

People coming onto the property would be very wary of them. And that is how you approach an unknown dog. But no one in our family were ever bitten and no one coming to our place was ever bitten.

Do I trust dogs? Never. I may know a dog and be familiar with it, but I make sure the dog knows who I am and that it is not dominant over me.

Even once when a strange dog wandered into my yard (in city), I approached it slowly and in a firm voice said "go home". It left.

I personally am a cat person.

Back