• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Die Glocke: The Nazi Bell

birdy

Devoted Cultist
Hi all,

BF and I watched a documentary on YouTube last night about Nazi vertical flight tests and the rash of UFO sightings which took place in the years after WWII.

There may be a thread for this somewhere already although I couldn't find anything specifically related.

The Nazi Bell in question is/was a bell-shaped craft supposedly developed in a secret lab in Poland during the war years, the same craft was said to have been seen flying in the states some years after the end of the war, at an airbase known to be employing Nazi scientists and engineers.
The theory goes that UFOs are In fact top secret aircraft developed by the US from the work begun by Nazi Germany's best engineers, with the notion of these being from outer space introduced as a way to both deflect attention and discredit witnesses.

I'd be interested to see what the board makes of this, if there's a previous thread please do direct me!

X

It's a good story.
Unfortunately it is almost certainly nonsense.

The Bell may have been something even more dangerous than a flying saucer - a purifier or reactor attempting to make fissionable materials for a German atomic bomb. Or a plasma generator. It might not even have existed at all.

Ooooh controversial! Thanks guys, will delve further into the MB :lol:

I tend to agree with eburacum that the evidence seems to indicate the 'bell' had everything to do with nuclear weapons research and nothing to do with advanced propulsion, time travel, etc.

For what it's worth, my favorite single writeup on the project's history is Simon Gunson's 'Nazi Bell Uncovered' site:

https://sites.google.com/site/nazibelluncovered/

I'm not claiming that Gunson is the ultimate / final authority on the subject - only that I don't know of another single online resource that touches on so many aspects of the story (and especially those facets relating to contemporary evidence).

If nothing else, Gunson's writeup accomplishes two important things:

(1) It demonstrates that evidence for the Bell and its probable usage dates back a lot farther than Witkowski's account 50+ years after the fact.

(2) It provides a wealth of specific names, etc., that can be researched further if you so desire.

The most wonderful book written about this is:
Nick Cook - The Hunt for Zero Point
Not a plausible story but quite interestingly researched and well written.

More false Bell rumours, connected to these concrete rings...

What are these giant concrete rings built by the Nazis?

These huge concrete rings were built by the Germans during World War II on the coast of the Barents Sea. For decades, the Soviet military limited access to them after the war was over, fueling speculation about their purpose. Conspiracy theorists and local folk claimed they were test grounds for Nazi wonderweapons and antigravity devices.

These rings, some said, served as launching pads for Nazi UFOs—flying saucers that used antigravity devices that were later captured by the United States and the Soviet Union. Of course, these aircraft were never used again except to spook the conspiranoics and break their cameras. No images of these fabled wunderwaffe exist and—given the fact that Nazis documented all their technology experiments with photos and movies (didn't you see Raiders of the Lost Ark?)—it is logical to assume that these UFOs have the power of destroying any cameras around them.

Other people claim that one of these awesome devices was The Bell, a metallic bell-shaped object that was being developed by the Nazis in Poland. The machine was so powerful that the project ended with the killing and mass burial of about 60 scientists working on it (because, apparently, it makes sense to kill 60 scientists capable of building these machines instead of putting them to work in, say, a bloody nuclear bomb.)

Die Glocke—as it was codenamed by the Nazis—was a hard metal object about 12 to 15 feet tall and nine feet in diameter. Described by a Polish journalist and self-proclaimed military historian based on the alleged testimony of that SS general, the Bell held two counter-rotating 1-inch-thick lead cylinders inside.

The cylinders contained a liquid metal called Xerum 525. It looked like mercury but glowed purple while the machine was powered up using high amounts of electricity. Once activated, nobody really actually explains what it did, except killing people and animals around it, disintegrating them. Some even say it was designed to look into the past, bending gravity and time—but not into the future.

Of course, the only thing that actually bend reality are the neurons of all these conspiranoics. These are not launching pads for UFOs. The concrete rings are located near the village of Liinakhamari—in the region of Murmansk Oblast, Russia, next to Finland—and were used as fortifications for artillery pieces.
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/what-are-thes ... 1561340482

I'd forgotten about this thread! Thanks for the info folks.

The "Flytrap" structure so beloved of the perpetrators of this fraud is in fact a water tank-the wooden part perished away.

There are similar tanks still in service, nearby.

No NAZIs on the Moon, none in the Astroid Belt...a cruel blow to Mad Science!

And I have to say it looks more like an acorn to me.

Which at this point in the day, is giving me terrible visions of a nazi scrat chasing after it. :madeyes:

The Bells! The Bells!

• A new video takes a look at the conspiracy of “Die Glocke,” a purported Nazi Germany UFO/time machine hybrid.
  • According to legend, Die Glocke was one of the “wonder weapons” that German dictator Adolf Hitler developed in hopes to reverse the tide of World War II.
  • While any actual proof of Die Glocke is spotty at best, UFO enthusiasts have tried to link the machine to a mysterious crash in the 1960s in Kecksburg, Pennsylvania.

Did Nazi scientists, eager to devise a weapon that could throw back advancing Allied armies, create a time-traveling UFO to win World War II? Almost certainly not. Nevertheless, the legend of “Die Glocke” (“The Bell”) persists in conspiracy and UFO circles.

A new video from military historian Mark Felton, included below, explores the bell-shaped device that Adolf Hitler’s Schutzstaffel (SS) paramilitary organization purportedly developed. However, sci-fi writers and hoaxers may have actually concocted the machine, plying the postwar reputation of Nazi scientists being capable of almost any technological feat.

Even though the Nazis lost World War II, they emerged from the war with an almost mythical reputation for high-tech weapons. Nazi tanks were often technically superior to Allied tanks; the Luftwaffe flew fighter jets in combat before the Allies did; and the V (for Vengeance) series of terror weapons, including the V-1 cruise missile and V-2 ballistic missile, made for terrifying, though strategically questionable, weapons.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi...vity-machine-ufo-die-glocke-conspiracy-video/

lt must be legit, there’s a 1/72 scale plastic kit of it:

145-03903.jpg

maximus otter

This came up recently on one of my favourite channels.

He does a good job of explaining that most modern accounts are parasitic on a single one of dubious accuracy (the 'facts', such as they are, supposedly came via Polish intelligence interrogations of SS officers after the war).

I had no idea about the earlier French publication (1960):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Morning_of_the_Magicians

It seems appropriate that the bell's supposed keeper is also mysterious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Kammler

Granular Detail:

Oddly, the Germans in WW2 did come up with a very advanced vertical takeoff fighter aircraft, which actually flew (in a limited sense) by the end of the war. lt was the Bachem Ba 349 Natter.

887181d995d7bf90fd197f69a0b0ae9b.jpg

The Natter launched from a circular concrete pad, one of which survives in situ:

Natter_launch_pad.jpg

I wonder if the whole “die Glocke” tale derives from vague, third-hand memories of “Nazi wonder weapon/VTOL fighter/circular launch base”, flavoured with a pinch of pixie dust and left on the back burner for several decades?

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems appropriate that the bell's supposed keeper is also mysterious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Kammler

Granular Detail:

Hmmm...

Mark Felton has something of a reputation (in tank-modelling circles, anyway) of producing YouTube presentations of the “two minutes of information compressed into half an hour” variety, padded out with imaginative use of free stock footage.

maximus otter

Hmmm...

Mark Felton has something of a reputation (in tank-modelling circles, anyway) of producing YouTube presentations of the “two minutes of information compressed into half an hour” variety, padded out with imaginative use of free stock footage.

maximus otter

Stock footage: guilty.
Narratives: not so--at least, not consistently so.

This one's a bit 'light', but then so is the evidence.

I was quite interested in the programme in which it was postulated that the Kecksburg UFO incident of December 1965 could have been the results of the experiments done with 'Die Glocke' and that the craft had been thrown forward in time and space, rematerialising in Pennsylvania, USA, some 20 years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw an episode od 'Abandoned Engineering' in which the investigated a mysterious structure left unfinished by the Nazis, called locally 'Mucholapka' ...
One of the ideas put forward for its possible use, was to test 'der Glocke'
Yep ...

This and one or two other monumental concrete structures have been suggested as infrastructure items somehow related to Die Glocke. As I recall, these structures aren't all at the same Polish site. The association of these structures with Die Glocke is something that's been merely suggested long after the fact, and such claims are predicated on the assumption there really was a Die Glocke device in the first place.

Yep ...

This and one or two other monumental concrete structures have been suggested as infrastructure items somehow related to Die Glocke. As I recall, these structures aren't all at the same Polish site. The association of these structures with Die Glocke is something that's been merely suggested long after the fact, and such claims are predicated on the assumption there really was a Die Glocke device in the first place.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was such a project. The problem we have is that we have no idea of its purpose, which makes it very difficult to relate to any remains.

I tend to agree with eburacum that the evidence seems to indicate the 'bell' had everything to do with nuclear weapons research and nothing to do with advanced propulsion, time travel, etc.

For what it's worth, my favorite single writeup on the project's history is Simon Gunson's 'Nazi Bell Uncovered' site:

https://sites.google.com/site/nazibelluncovered/

I'm not claiming that Gunson is the ultimate / final authority on the subject - only that I don't know of another single online resource that touches on so many aspects of the story (and especially those facets relating to contemporary evidence).

If nothing else, Gunson's writeup accomplishes two important things:

(1) It demonstrates that evidence for the Bell and its probable usage dates back a lot farther than Witkowski's account 50+ years after the fact.

(2) It provides a wealth of specific names, etc., that can be researched further if you so desire.
First, off Enola, thank you for retaining an open mind It is rare to see my name in a forum discussion not accompanied by insults , or sarcasm.

Yes die Glocke was a real project, but nothing to do with UFOs, or time machines. That was a disinformation cover story dreamed up by the CIA to mislead the Soviets about Nazi Nuclear technology back in the days after WW2, before the Soviets had nuclear weapons.

There were multiple credible witnesses to Die Glocke, including Dr Kurt Debus of NASA's Apolllo mission. Most of the credible witnesses were involved in nuclear particle physics , which is the first clue.

The Nazi Bell was an early spherical Tokamak.
By placing a flask with depleted Uranium(238U) in a Deuterium impregnated paraffin at the core, with a mixture of Mercury and Beryllium when they spun the Proton accelerator they could transmute Uranium 238 into Neptunium 239, which then decayed into Plutonium 239. Nazi Germany had an active program to enrich Uranium with centrifuges & Betatrons, thus the tailing, or waste product of Uranium enrichment was mostly Uranium 238.
modern Tokamak.png

Dr. Rolf Wideroe called this device the Wirbel-Rohr, or Vortex Tube. Patents for variations on the same theme had been applied for in 1935 by both Prof Max Steenbeck and his rival Swiss scientist Dr Walter Dallenbach. After WW2. Prof. Steenbeck cooperated with the Soviets to replicate the Nazi Bell. The Soviets named their copy the Tokamak. Otherwise, how do you suppose the Soviets got nuclear weapons so quickly?

All this nonsense about a Nazi UFO, Vril craft, Nazis on the Moon, or a time machine were feeble attempts to deliberately mislead , or confuse the Soviets. As recently as 1975, one could not find accurate information at libraries about the critical mass for 235U (Uranium 235), or 239Pu (Plutonium 239). There was so much secrecy about nuclear weapons right up until 1994 when the internet made it impossible to keep things secret, any longer. More to come later. People who have grown up with the internet have no idea how closed and secretive society used to be.

I saw an episode od 'Abandoned Engineering' in which the investigated a mysterious structure left unfinished by the Nazis, called locally 'Mucholapka',

View attachment 40230
One of the ideas put forward for its possible use, was to test 'der Glocke'

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mucholapka
What is the Polish term for cash register, since the locals all know this "Flytrap" is the concrete pedestal for a water cooling tower, of a design familiar in the area's coal fired power stations for example found at Walbryzch. If not cash register, how about tourist attraction?

Water cooling tower.jpg

As I'd stated years ago (and thank you for noticing ... ) I think your enrichment centrifuge hypothesis is the most coherent and reasonable explanation for the mysterious "bell" device (assuming it really existed).

There's just one aspect that I have to quibble about ... The label "tokamak" is of Russian origin, but:

- it refers to to a device in nuclear fusion research used to magnetically contain plasma in a toroidal configuration; and ...
- the label was coined circa 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak

A tokamak is a different device for a different purpose, as evidenced by "tokamak" being an acronym alluding to both magnetic fields and toroids.

As I'd stated years ago (and thank you for noticing ... ) I think your enrichment centrifuge hypothesis is the most coherent and reasonable explanation for the mysterious "bell" device (assuming it really existed).

There's just one aspect that I have to quibble about ... The label "tokamak" is of Russian origin, but:

- it refers to to a device in nuclear fusion research used to magnetically contain plasma in a toroidal configuration; and ...
- the label was coined circa 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak

A tokamak is a different device for a different purpose, as evidenced by "tokamak" being an acronym alluding to both magnetic fields and toroids.
Sure, today it's use is much different, but in 1945 the Nazis were not sinking billions into pure research. What got me thinking about Plutonium were persistent rumours that the SS had a Plutonium project in the Owl mountains at Der Reise [Giant] complex.
That set me off on a path to reconcile rumour with the handful of verifiable facts. When I read Sporrenberg's account about Xerum 525, it began to make sense. Particle accelerators are used by various countries to make radioactive dyes for medicine in a similar process.

A supposed photo of Die Glocke from the WW2. Looks like the Americans found it first.
Light's , camera , action USA devised an official policy to conceal or obfuscate knowledge about Nazi wartime nuclear technology based on recommendations from the Monsanto Report to the Compton Committee. Thus was born another myth, that the Nazis did not have the Atomic bomb.

A supposed photo of Die Glocke from the WW2. Looks like the Americans found it first. ...
This photo could not be of 1940s vintage.

Wow. Shades of Kecksburg, anyone?
If it's an authentic photo, it can only be of Kecksburg (or a Kecksburg re-enactment). Here's why ...

The truck on the left is pretty obviously a 1940s vintage Chevrolet G506 1.5 ton truck built in huge numbers for the US military from 1941 - 1945.

The semi-tractor on the right is pretty obviously an International Loadstar truck, which wasn't introduced until the 1960s. It might also be an International Paystar rig, but those weren't introduced until the 1970s. The flasher light bar atop the cab also pegs this truck as 1960s or later.

It would be anomalous, but not inconceivable, for a G506 to still be in active use by the US Army as of 1965. It's impossible for an IHC Loadstar or Paystar to appear in an authentic WW2 era photo.

Back