• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Disease Mongering

What you normally see portrayed in US media are people who talk about being in therapy, i.e. they are paying privately to have a course of sessions with a psychoanalyst, dealing with problems (genuine or perceived) that are psychological rather than physical in nature. These psychoanalysts may or may not be trained psychiatrists.

People whose mental health problems are physical in nature are generally unlikely to receive much benefit from psychoanalysis alone. They need medication.

Yeah. I lived there for a while. And from the discussion above I realise it is those psychoanalysts that principally concern me, quite often they stuff their victim's heads full of nonsense.

But psychiatry/psychology does have a dodgy history. It wasn't psychoanalysts that thought cutting out chunks of people's brains was a good idea. Or zapping a delicate electrical instrument with vast amounts of current.

Peter James wrote a real page-turner on that subject, called The Alchemist.
A friend of mine who has gone a bit nutty, posted about how skin cancer is not caused by the sun but by sunscreen. Frankly I would expect these kind of conspiracies to be all over the alternative therapy community.

People are entitled to have opinions that differ from yours, you know. Unlike the anti-vaxers I would not stop anyone going to a psychiatrist or a psychologist if they felt it would help.

Be sure to inform them that their mental health issues are "invented" or imaginary though. I'm sure that will help them immensely.

Getting back to the original post about big Pharma companies manipulating peoples perceptions of what is a disease - My kids introduced me to the "Big Bang Theory" where Bernadette is a microbiologist for a Pharmaceutical company She often mentions drugs they have created but are working towards identifying a disease to use them against.
This is popular main stream TV so the Meme is out there.
A quote form to illustrate ( I cannot do linky things):

Leonard: You don't go into science for the money.
Bernadette: Speak for yourself. Last month my company both invented and cured restless eye syndrome. Ka-ching, ya blinky chumps!

Another quote from Bernadette.

"I am a very vengeful person. With access to weaponised smallpox. "

Big Bang Theory digs in to Big Pharma quite a lot. Penny often mentions the horrible side effects of the drugs she sells just as an aside. It wouldn't really be funny if it wasn't already something people could relate to.

As someone whose teeth are sore because his regular medication CHANGED COLOUR, I think I'd best avoid that sitcom.

ouch!
The medication I have for dizzy spells and mild tinnitus has been improved, now has the added warning that it may cause tinnitus and slight nausea.

So I have a choice between "woozy and a bit noisy" to "not woozy but nauseous and a lot of flipping crackling!"

is Chronic Lyme Disease a real thing or is it an example of the above - see next thread.

Back