• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Perhaps I should explain that the story revolved around a planet which the Doctor had visited some years previously, and whose main inhabitants (the Sevateem, who were actually some of the descendants of a Survey Team from Earth) considered him to be the Evil One.

The reason they thought this was that the other remnant of the survey team lived behind a cliff face, into which was carved an enormous face of the Doctor, in the manner of Mount Rushmore. When the Doctor set off to investigate this other tribe, he therefore climbed up the representation of his own face, and entered a cavern through the first available orifice, which happened to be the above-mentioned nostril.

I just have to say that the foregoing was written with a 30-year-old memory, and absolutely no research, so if I have any details wrong, I'm sure someone will put me right.

Anyhow, Austen, bearing in mind the above, just be grateful that the story wasn't The Backside of Evil!

Oh, and even though the "old" make-up was qute impressive, it would've been even more impressive if it'd looked like an old version of Mark Gatiss, rather than just a generic old bloke.

Was it just me, or did the 'young' Dr. Lazarus (Mark Gatiss in a wig that surely must have meowed at one time) look a bit like Richard Dawkins?

By the way - that preview of a decrepit-looking Mr. Saxon was right creepy. I figured that John Simm was perhaps a bit too boyish to play him (providing, of course, that most of us are right in believing that he's really The Master) but after seeing that ...

Peripart said:
Good point, Anome - I'd forgotten all about the plot of Face of Evil until you brought it up, but now I remember the Sevateem / Survey Team situation. I hope that show comes out on DVD - haven't seen it since it was first shown, of course, but I clearly remember Tom Baker climbing up his own nostril!
That's nothing. Later on he wandered around his own brain.

Anome_ said:
stuneville said:
Ravenstone said:
..Please let us have an alien assistant next time?
...Leela!
Small technicality, and I'm surprised Gordon hasn't already corrected it, is that Leela was human. From another planet, but still human.
A fair point, about which I'd forgotten entirely. Still human, though born light-years away in another galaxy. Much the same principle that allowed Vinny Jones to captain Wales, then, or justifies entirely English people using pantomime Irish-isms in normal conversation because their mum was born in Donegal and they went to Kerry on holiday once when they were nine (sorry, bit OT there, involuntarily spent yesterday evening in the company of someone who does just that, and he doesn't like Doctor Who to boot :x .)

Back OT, then I wonder how many of the two-armed, two-legged, Home Counties-accented character actors he's met across the Universe were actually human, then? Or how many just conveniently look like us?

stuneville said:
Back OT, then I wonder how many of the two-armed, two-legged, Home Counties-accented character actors he's met across the Universe were actually human, then? Or how many just conveniently look like us?

Are people from the Home Counties actually all aliens?

Be a real bummer if Saxon turned out to be a heavy metal band from South Yorkshire!

sherbetbizarre said:
Tonights episode - Hmmmm, has someone been peeking at Alex Garland scripts?

Wonder which came first? Not in terms of release, or start of writing but initial conception of an idea. The sun's alive! (intervention by our space brothers)

Obviously the Beeb had invested so much into the script that they couldn't stop production.

Mid season, mid episode.

mooks out

Am I the only one that noticed the teaser form last week did not match the episode from this week?

In fact the teaser at the end of today's show featured some of the same scene's from the teaser at the end of the last show.

The master (John Simm) was shown at the end of last week, yet he didnt step foot in this weeks episode.

painy2 said:
Am I the only one that noticed the teaser form last week did not match the episode from this week?

In fact the teaser at the end of today's show featured some of the same scene's from the teaser at the end of the last show.

The master (John Simm) was shown at the end of last week, yet he didnt step foot in this weeks episode.

The teaser from the previous ep (actually a fortnight ago) was for the whole of the rest of the season not just the next episode. Done because that episode hideously under ran in terms of time so some padding out was needed!

Gordon

I haven't seen Sunshine, but I'm willing to bet this was better. Shorter, anyway. And it looks as if Martha's under surveillance. Still, she does have the key of the door now.

Moooksta said:
Wonder which came first? Not in terms of release, or start of writing but initial conception of an idea. The sun's alive! (intervention by our space brothers)

Starmaker by Olaf Stapledon (1937) has sentient stars and nebulae, it's not a new SF idea.

I thought Doctor Who made a better stab at the falling into the sun plot, than Sunshine. Sunshine got a bit slack in places and left you enough time to spot the dodgy science. [/i]

Did look a bit similar to the space stories in the previous two series. The End of The World as the Sun goes super nova and the chained up demon orbiting a black hole one.

All aboard the merry go round... :|

Moooksta said:
The Doctor Who Garden

Volunteers to water the Krynoid patch please?

mooks out

Wouldn't fancy weeding round the Vervoids either.

Perhaps they could get in some of the Trees from the Forest of Cheem as guides.

The ship in 42 must have won some sort of design award for being the most inconvenient spaceship imaginable; the control room is located behind umpteen closed and locked doors, and the controls for the escape pod are located on the outside of the ship; I wonder- is that wise?

The clue's in the title - I conclude it was the ghost of Douglas Adams, using his old vector to continue his vendetta against Microsoft by having them build a ship. There was lots of balefulness and helplessness whilst looking through Windows, a potentially catastrophic virus, and said ship even helpfully told the crew that they were hurtling towards the sun, having performed an illegal operation.

The clues are all there, you know.

I just posted on the thread about Our Loverly Beautiful All-singing and Dancing Message board, about how nice it is that the message panels are now full screen width - but here they're not!

But will they be after I click Submit...?

Answer: NO!

The board is even more bonkers than I thought. :evil:

that episode of Who was abysmal, poor acting, bad science, stupid plot holes and contrivances, and a massive lack of logic when it came to the control systems for the ship.

If it wasnt Who, it would have been dropped by now.

Something different tonight, I liked it, sort of The Last Temptation of the Doctor. The chap playing Baines was really good, too. But has that little boy appeared before? What was with the flashback to him in 2007? Or was it a flashforward?

I thought the little boy had memories of 2007 because they were the Doctor's memories? He does look very familiar though.

I'm not entirely sure about the episode, to be honest. I think I'll wait til I see the second part.

Ravenstone said:
I thought the little boy had memories of 2007 because they were the Doctor's memories? He does look very familiar though.

Of course! That might be it.

The notebook/story that "John Smith" is writing "The Journal of Impossible" would make a great piece of tie-in mechandising. (I can imagine the original being auctioned for Children in Need).

A very good episode so far, IMO Paul Cornell is the best writer they've got working on the series. His non-Who novel British Summertime is excellent.

Slightly confusing with the flashing sequences but when Martha gets the inevitable chop (if the speculation is true) then we have an ideal replacement companion in the form of the charming Nurse Joan - Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson) -

That's it - Love Actually. What a relief.

Martha for the chop is she? Oooo.....learn something new everyday. I can't seen Nurse Joan filling in though. For one thing (not wanting to sound too much of a fanbot) - she's in love with John Smith, not the Doctor, and while there's flashes of the Doctor in Smith, I don't think they could be said to be the same personality. Well, not much anyway. Plus the idea of sex in the TARDIS leaves me reaching for the sick bucket :lol:

I reckon Nurse Joan will either bite the bullet, or be left pining in 1913.

I did wonder if the little lad turned into Captain Jack, but that wouldn't quite fit, would it?

Back