• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Ravenstone said:
I did wonder if the little lad turned into Captain Jack, but that wouldn't quite fit, would it?

Well Jack says he's a Time agent from the 51st century when we first meet him. So unless Timothy Latimer somehow gets taken there and his memory edited...not that that's impossible (at least in the Whoniverse) that would indicate he isn't Jack. Then Jack ties up with the Doctor and Rose and dies and is ressurected in The Parting of the Ways and, somehow, as yet unexplained, ends up back on Earth about 100 years before Torchwood. Which would mean he's crossed his own timeline at least twice....

I think it'd be a bit too confusing.

I can't remember what happen in the novel of Human Nature, but Cornell has already made a few changes (different Doctors for starters) so that's not necessarily a guide.

Rrose_Selavy said:
Slightly confusing with the flashing sequences but when Martha gets the inevitable chop (if the speculation is true) then we have an ideal replacement companion in the form of the charming Nurse Joan - Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson) -

Oh no, please don't. I can't stand the woman. She reminds me of that horribly incompetent English lecturer I had at university. She spoiled Spaced for me... :?

I´m thinking that the Doctor who get his memories back, but will decide to try life as a human for a while. So he´ll instruct Martha to travel to 1923 or so and pick him up then, and in the meantime he will have gotten married and raised a child. The parent of Susan Foreman.

Xanatico said:
I´m thinking that the Doctor who get his memories back, but will decide to try life as a human for a while. So he´ll instruct Martha to travel to 1923 or so and pick him up then, and in the meantime he will have gotten married and raised a child. The parent of Susan Foreman.

Susan was a Timelord from Gallifrey according to everything in the show so far.

Gordon

Doctor Who

Tonight's episode - the part two of the scarecrow one - is one of the best telly things I have ever seen. Is this the best show telly's ever had? Is that hyperbole?

Re: Doctor Who

tonyghidorah said:
Tonight's episode - the part two of the scarecrow one - is one of the best telly things I have ever seen. Is this the best show telly's ever had? Is that hyperbole?
Yes. It is hyperbole. I've got complete sets of Buffy tVS and Angel. I bought them knowing that i will be watching them again.

I can honestly say that the new Doctor has not moved me to that extent, so far. Fun though it is to have the Doctor back.

The last two episodes are probably amongst the first which really show a gleam of the Doctor's true potential. That is something to be thankful about, in modern TV Wasteland.

Good second part tonight, I especially liked the way the Doctor banished the baddies after they pretty much forced him into it. But they made a meal of the "Will I stay human?" stuff when we knew fine well he wouldn't.

Looks a bit weird next week...

For instance, I'm just watching the Angel Season 2 episode, 'Reunion'. The one where Drusilla re-sires Darla. After they patch up their differences, they go out on the town. A sort of ÜberVamp, Thelma and Louise.

Not one of the all time best episodes, but definitely a keeper.

Thoroughly enjoyed that one, and especially the dark, callous, way the Doctor treated the Family of Blood at the end. Especially the little girl with the red balloon being trapped in all mirrors. I wonder how many that freaked out last night? :lol:

It's just a shame you don't see scarecrows anymore.

Thoroughly enjoyed that one, and especially the dark, callous, way the Doctor treated the Family of Blood at the end.

It was excellent - and it led me to wonder if we're seeing shades of the Valyard coming through. In fact, there's been quite a few references to the Doctor's dark side this series (beginning with his ruthless despatch of the Racnoss offspring in the Christmas special.) One must therefore wonder what resonance this might have in the series finale.

After all, maybe this mysterious Saxon character ain't the Master. Maybe its just a big red herring. Maybe, instead, Saxon is a dark and terrible future version of the Doctor himself...

It would sort of make sense of the Face of Boe's prophecy. That the Doctor is the last timelord, but is not alone (but then again, with all prophecies, it depends on how you read it. For all we know, Boe could have simply meant Martha.) It would also be the coolest thing ever to have the doctor fight his own future self. Of course, why the doctor's future self would want to jeapordise his own existence by getting involved in such a thing would mitigate against such a finale.

But maybe Saxon doesn't want to kill the Doctor (which would be darned stupid, I know.)

Maybe he just wants to be human again... ;)

tonyghidorah said:

It is the Sun after all.

I do wodner if a shake up in the creative team might freshen things up. Possibly get someone in who lays down some rules like:

• Only 1 mention of Daleks per series (double episode count as 1)
    More than 2 episodes set off world (near arth orbit doesn't count)

The man is a Timelord for Fort's sake - he should be able to find a bit of variety otehr than present day B;ighty/West Coast US +/- 200 years.

They have a superb writing team and need to give them license to cut loose and try something a bit different. I am sure they have been shitting brcks about pushing the envelope in case viewing figures drop off but they've got the bums on seats and the only way they are going to alienate them is by not alien-ating them ;)

As much as I love the new Doctor Who, I'd have to say Battlestar Galactifrack is officially the best thing on TV.

I've thought about this and think Dr Who 'wins' because it's one of the few things that has everything AND appeals to so many poeple. That itself is no mean feat. Being able to sit with your kids and not feel a show is patronising to any audience is such a rare, exhilarating thing.

'It's just a shame you don't see scarecrows anymore.'
You do! I saw one recently - it scared the life out of me. I thought it was a bloke.

gncxx said:
tonyghidorah said:

Russell T. Davies said from the start that he had a four year plan (in the Communist Party sense, I suppose)
No, that's five years.

I can't see they'd suspend a franchise this big because of Russel T, so no. The reigns will likely get handed over to Steve Moffat or the like (which would be a good thing imho)

anyway, here's the standard refutation:

LONDON, June 1 (UPI) -- The BBC dismissed rumors that the popular British show Doctor Who would be axed as "idle speculation."

Filming is scheduled to begin for the fourth season of the BBC Wales-produced program next week and BBC executives said they have a long-term commitment to the award-winning program, the Western Mail reported Friday.

Speculation was high that writer Russell T. Davies, who revived Doctor Who in 2005, was scrapping the show to concentrate on other projects. Davies and other senior staff working on the series were said to be thinking about handing in their resignations, news reports indicated.

"We are a long way away from even thinking about series five when the current series hasn't ended and we have yet to start filming series four. But the BBC has a long-term commitment to Doctor Who," the program's creators said in a statement.

The BBC are trimming the news department to the bone. There's more shedding to come and it looks like Newsnight and other major current affairs programmes are in the firing line.

Now.

With the DVD's, licenced merchandise, overseas sales, comics, magazines, and all the extra revenue a series of Dr.Who brings in, do you really think they're just going to let it go?

tonyghidorah said:

It amazes me that so many people are prepared to take this non-story at face value. RTD and his motley crew are only the current 'heart' of Dr Who. If the ratings are still good and the Beeb want more series then they will hire a new producer and team. It's no big deal, despite what the trashy paper and digital tabloids would have you believe.

ghostdog19 said:
gncxx said:
Russell T. Davies said from the start that he had a four year plan (in the Communist Party sense, I suppose)
No, that's five years.

Yeah, but this is the BBC we're talking about. Budget cuts.

I'd rather see four high quality years of the Doctor than see it turn into a sci-fi Eastenders dragged on for years past its time. But if they can give us a decade of high quality, or more, then I'll be happy with that too. They managed it before, I suppose.

Um, yes - a bit of an overreaction maybe.
But... would people want it to end, or even think it should? Part of me thinks it should end, that a lot of shows in the past have petered out badly and are almost unwatchable on reruns or dvd as a result. If Who ended well it would be brave and bold and right and ... sad.

A an aside, name one good show that ended the way it should have. The whole last series of x Files for instance was like watching someone choke to slowly to death.

tonyghidorah said:
As an aside, name one good show that ended the way it should have. The whole last series of x Files for instance was like watching someone choke to slowly to death.
Well, we've recently had Life On Mars, which was always going to be just 2 series, and it had the good grace not to outstay its welcome. OK, so the ending wasn't necessarily the one that all the fans wanted, but that's showbiz - you can't please everyone!

tonyghidorah said:
Um, yes - a bit of an overreaction maybe.
But... would people want it to end, or even think it should? Part of me thinks it should end, that a lot of shows in the past have petered out badly and are almost unwatchable on reruns or dvd as a result. If Who ended well it would be brave and bold and right and ... sad.

There's no need for it to end as long as any quality is maintained. I'd like to see RTD replaced with someone with similar sensibilities to Philip Hinchcliffe so they can get back to making Who more consistently good, instead of intermittently duff and good episodes.

You see, the problem - and it's not a bad problem - is that it's got this sort of arc as an undercurrent, that it's all building to this huge climax. In the old days there wasn't this sense, and this is why it lasted so long; it was content to amble, be dippy-in-and-out.

Peripart said:
tonyghidorah said:
As an aside, name one good show that ended the way it should have. The whole last series of x Files for instance was like watching someone choke to slowly to death.
Well, we've recently had Life On Mars, which was always going to be just 2 series, and it had the good grace not to outstay its welcome. OK, so the ending wasn't necessarily the one that all the fans wanted, but that's showbiz - you can't please everyone!
Except that they're talking about Ashes to Ashes, as a follow up to Life on Mars.

Thank goodness Bowie didn't do anything worthwhile in the 90s, or there'd be a third series in the offing.

Nah, the third series will be called Little Wonder and be based on an organisation that steals people's tiny subconscious ideas and turns them into tv series, in this case the brain of that Brian (?) Glenister in the nineties having an idea for a show then hearing voices as his thoughts are tapped into then exploited. He then, ultimately, tracks the organisation down and settles the whole thing out of court by arranging getting a part in LOM.

I would have thought that Little Wonder would be about a little robot girl who gives people nightmares. Played by Philip Glenister.

Back