• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Ravenstone said:
Ahhh, but the Doctor blinked. Quite clearly. When the Angel had the Bishop by the throat. The Doctor blinked :shock:

The Doctor might have blinked, but did the Bishop? (sounds like the punchline to a rather naughty joke)

Loved these two episodes, though I wouldn't want to see the Angels or River Song again too soon. Thought that the Doctor's reaction to Amy's seduction attempt was well written and well acted by Matt Smith. Another move away from the RTD era which sits well with me. Interesting The Doctor's reactions to Amy (you were a little girl five minutes ago), seem quite different to his reaction to Madame de Pompadour. I suppose it is Steven Moffat feeling he can write some things with a one off character that would ruin the on going companion dynamic. I was also interested to see a fairly positive depiction of the church, even if it was the Ecclesia Militans.

Now, where/when did the Doctor appear from when he came back to tell Amy to remember what he told her when she was seven? I'm certain it was from another point in his personal timeline, as he had the jacket back on (and thus the point of him losing his jacket earlier in the episode) and a watch with a black wrist band (17:40 into the Flesh & Stone episode).

Peripart said:
A quick question - when does Amy come from? Simple, you might say: 2010. But I'm not sure.
The assumption I've made, of course, is that the Doctor first met Amy in 2010. On the other hand, he did so much pointless hopping around when he was about to regenerate, setting Jack up with Alonso and things like that, that we can't say for sure when he finally crashed back to Earth. Although he did fly over the O2 Dome, so he can't possibly have met Amy before 2000, which means that the current Amy dates from about 2015 at the earliest.

Most importantly, should I care?

The simple answer would appear to have been proven correct, though complicated by the presence of the O2 dome. As Amy's wedding is scheduled for 2010. The dome may be a deliberate anachronism, some result of the cracks changing time, or the TARDIS may have been shifting in and out of times as it crashed.

rynner2 said:
Have we got another theme here for assistants?

Amy Pond, River Song....

Who next? Red Sea, Wild Ocean...?

Also, Jackson Lake from The Next Doctor...

Good thing they didn't drain Amy of blood, she's pale enough as it is. Lots of funny lines in tonight's, but I got a bit confused over what the vampires' plan was exactly. And was that a Silurians reference when Mrs Vampire was talking about wiping out a whole race? I don't think The Doctor actually did that, did he? He tried to stop it if anything.

Poor episode, worst so far this series (which has overall been great so far).

Not impressed I'm afraid.

I thought she was talking about him wiping out the Time Lords.

Or the Racnos?

I've got to say, he's shaping up to be my favourite Doctor. Mind you, to be honest, I tend to say that most times. Not every time, of course. But most of 'em.

I have a question.

Where did Amy find the sunlight when Rory was attacked?

Given four minutes earlier the sky had turned stormy and cloudy.

EDIT:

It was Amy in the background.

And - why did the perception filter still work after she'd taken it off?

A lot of fish species are fairly flexible in their gender, swapping between depending on the environment or their place in the pecking order. Surely a bit of genetic jiggery pokery could have sorted them out?

I got round to watching it last night. No, it wasn't very good, was it? And will it work with two companions, in a relationship with one another? I don't think it will, so I'm hoping this is a necessary part of a story arc.

And
they absolutely wasted Helen McCrory, which is bordering on the criminal.

Ravenstone said:
And - why did the perception filter still work after she'd taken it off?
... and why did she remove her heavy, but actually non-existent, dress before jumping into the water?

Ah yes - good point. Well made. *salutes*

All in all, a waste of Venetian Vampires. Disappointing. One suspects, had it been Tennant, there would have been a bit of buckle swashing with the Doctor.

... and why did she remove her heavy, but actually non-existent, dress before jumping into the water?

Because wardrobe would have done their nut if it went in the drink? :D

An enjoyable romp, but not one that made a great deal of sense.

The Doctor coming out of the cake though was bloody brilliant :D

A strangely depressing episode tonight, although it did remind me of one of those 1960s mindgames stories. Not sure whether the revelation of who the Dreamlord was is lame or not, but it was a good puzzle with plenty of food for thought.

Silurians next week - or is it? The final seconds of the trailer were weird...

I was quite enjoying the whole sort of paradox thingy. Although I'm getting closer and closer to thinking Rory is in serious need of a damn good slap. She's seriously considering marrying that object? Puh-leez. :roll:

Ravenstone said:
I was quite enjoying the whole sort of paradox thingy. Although I'm getting closer and closer to thinking Rory is in serious need of a damn good slap. She's seriously considering marrying that object? Puh-leez. :roll:

She does seem to be way out of his league, but there's dramatic tension for you.

An excellent episode, I thought. The sort of thought-provoking theme that got me hooked from the start, and will stick in my mind for a long time. 8)

Contrary to what would appear to be popular opinion, I really enjoyed last week's vampire story, and this week's was even better. I think the series has improved with every episode.

I have to agree with you Dr Baltar, loving the new series and in particular the new Doctor. I think he's doing a great job. Just the right amount of genius, bafflement and lunacy without being over the top.

I think the writing has definatly improved as well. The one liners are a huge improvement, but that could be the way Matt Smith delivers them as well. I know there is an episode coming up where the doctor gets stuck on Earth with James Corden, and i was kind of dreading it, but the more i see of the new run the less i'm worried. Plus Silurians next week whoo hoo, one of my favorites (along with the Sontarans).

I find this Doctor far more calm and reassuring. None of Ten's tendency to press big red shiny buttons and damn the consequences. Which was cute, in a way, but a bit.....immature ;)

The Silurians are back tonight. David Icke will be leaping up and down in front of his TV screaming "True! It's all true I tell you."

The Silurians were back but it doesn't look as if the Sea Devils will be, shame. Apart from that, a solid reintroduction for some old foes (who now have Scottish accents, apparently). The sonic screwdriver got a lot of use tonight, didn't it?

The Icke thing came into full effect for the "alien abduction" scenes, but let's hope it doesn't get caught up in "issues" for part 2. Always tense when the Doctor is trying to be nice and the baddies are having none of it, though.

I liked that, it felt a lot like old-time Doctor Who. The new Silurian design is very effective.

Back