• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

That was a good episode...

....it scared me....

....I live alone.....

....or do I ?

I'm halfway through it as I type this*, and it's shaping up to the kind of episode we loved Moffat for doing. Making the mundane or somewhat creepy downright scary. Preying on our insecurities and childhood fears. Up there with Blink and Silence in the Library.

* I slept in this morning, so missed it live, and currently watching it in pieces through ABC iView. I'll of course watch it again when it's on at 7:30pm.

So who or what was under the blanket in Rupert's room? And how on earth did the TARDIS not only get through the time lock but into an alternate pocket universe?

All valid questions.

Having finished it now, I can say it is one of Moffat's finest, even if I have a couple of issues with it.

Now that's more like it!

Frustrating in a way, as it reminds us that Moffat can do it when he really tries. Absolutely great, quibbles aside. It just concentrated on the here and now, and if there was any telegraphing then we're clearly not yet aware of it (note to Mr Moffat - most of the audience prefer to say "Oh, riiight! now it makes sense" at the end of a series rather than "That's it, is it?" - you manage subtle and seemingly unimportant details in Sherlock all the time so why do you have trouble doing it here?)

He's obviously watched The Haunting, too. Had to sleep with the light on after watching that one...

..and by the way, BBC schedulers - enough with the Capaldi-and-Tardis-sound-interrupting-screen-idents wheeze. We get it. Leave the hippos in peace.

Apparently that line "Fear makes companions of us all" is what the first Doctor said in his first adventure. But did anyone catch what the current one said last night when he woke up? Some babble about the Sontarans?

gncxx said:
Apparently that line "Fear makes companions of us all" is what the first Doctor said in his first adventure. But did anyone catch what the current one said last night when he woke up? Some babble about the Sontarans?

I could be wrong but I thought he said "Sontarons changing the course of history"...which I took as a reference to the Pertwee story "The Time Warrior".

OneWingedBird said:
Where was the alternate pocket universe?

Isn't that where Gallifrey now is? If the TARDIS took them to Gallifrey during the Doctor's childhood, it not only broke the time lock, but travelled to another universe.

DougalLongfoot said:
OneWingedBird said:
Where was the alternate pocket universe?

Isn't that where Gallifrey now is? If the TARDIS took them to Gallifrey during the Doctor's childhood, it not only broke the time lock, but travelled to another universe.

IIRC Gallifrey is frozen at the point when the Dalek's attacked just before it's demise. Wouldn't that allow the Tardis to visit Gallifrey of the past? Assuming the Doctor grew up on Gallifrey?

Or maybe I'm wrong?

The other theory I have is that the "thing on the bed" and "at the door" were manifestations of fear (everyone's eyes on Danny Pink) and the young scared Doctor in his barn were also manifestations of the Doctor's fear?

I just watched next week's trailer....and there's a sequence of criminals flashing on a screen....Slitheen, Sensorites, something from the Colin Baker years, a few from The Sarah Jane Adventures and this one....that's from 2000 AD isn't it? That's a Judge...or am I wrong?

That's Abslom Daak Dalek Killer. Penned by Steve Moore and Inked by Steve Dillon, appeared in Doctor Who Weekly.

Monstrosa said:
That's Abslom Daak Dalek Killer. Penned by Steve Moore and Inked by Steve Dillon, appeared in Doctor Who Weekly.

Aahhhh yeah...I remember him. He had a chainsword for cutting them pesky pepper pots in half....

A friend of mine mentioned why he wasn't warming to this season... Capaldi's abrasiveness is reminding him of Colin Baker! Come on, it's not as bad as all that!

There's more Tom Baker to this doctor than there has been to any since, well, Tom Baker.

Which I'm totally loving.

It was a strange story on Saturday though. Gallifrey Base seems oddly muted, like no-ones really sure what happened enough to discuss it.

That was more like it! My 13 year old (Who has ALL the available DVDS and is a bigger fan than me) thought it was creepy. For me it's the Master running around shrinking people that freaks me out, but that's another story.

Capaldi has definitely managed to re-instill that feeling that although he LOOKS human, he's still alien and so totally unpredictable.

After all the fluff boys of late, it's a welcome change. My nagging fear, however, is that very shortly we'll see an announcement by Auntie Beeb canceling the show.

Don't panic!
Why The Decline in Overnight Ratings Doesn’t Matter

Doctor Who fans have a tendency to worry about ratings more than fans of other shows, and with good reason. The show has been cancelled or been put on hiatus twice, and recently overnight ratings have begun to show a bit of decline. Cries of “this is worse than the 80’s!” and “it’s going to end up cancelled!” have been adorning message boards and blog posts across the dark recesses of the internet recently. But is there really any truth in these statements? Well, I don’t think so, and I’m going to try and tell you why…
Basically it boils down an extra 2mil people "watching it on iPlayer, Sky Plus and the like" plus all the merchandise sales.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/why-the-de ... -66717.htm

Finally got around to watching "Listen" on iPlayer, and really enjoyed it, in an odd kind of way. That's to say, I still have no idea what the creatures under the bed actually are, but that doesn't matter. It's fine to have a bit of mystery - in fact, I'd have loved it if the spaceman in the restaurant turned out to be a figment of someone's dream, and I wouldn't often advocate anything that silly!

I suspected before this series started that I'd warm to Capaldi quite quickly, and I'm happy to be right, for a change. His manerisms aren't too annoying, now that we've got the obligatory "Doctor is an idiot for the first hour after regeneration" episode out of the way. As for his accent, lots of planets have a North, as we know.

"Shutity up"?! Anyway, must admit I guessed the twists in this one, thought they could have done more with the heist idea, but it was pleasing enough for a bit of fluff episode. Don't think it'll linger long in the memory, however. Was that Alan Dedicoat as the voice of the bank's computer, or someone doing an impersonation?

Let's be generous and call it a meaningless encounter around the back and by the aircon system of IKEA. Lucky they didn't get the bins in shot.

Nice to see Stewart Lee appearing as the bank chief though.

Oh...that was Keeley Hawes.

jimv1 said:
Oh...that was Keeley Hawes.
The one in the orange jumpsuit? :D :D She's let herself go.

It was fun...it was Doctor Who doing "Hustle"...slow mo...funky music....cool camera angles...crash zooms.
Monster of the week was a good design and physically well realised.
Liked the worms as well....can't remember what they were called though?

Agree more could have been done with the heist idea, and we didn't really need another time loop... not a bad episode though.

I've been watching the old Patrick Troughton story The Ice Warriors this week, totally coincidentally starting on the day one of the stars Angus Lennie died. It was the DVD with the animated episodes to fill on for missing ones, and quite enjoyable, the title baddies are the best thing about it, hissing their way through their schemes. Bernard Bresslaw was the leader! Sort of recognised his voice. Poor Victoria, she always gets such a hard time on DW - "You're not going to kill me are you?!" At least the companions don't scream anymore.

One of the red tops think "Listen" was just too darn scarey for kids.

I'm sorry but its the Mirror

Has Doctor Who become unsuitable for children?

This is a very simple Doctor Who-based question, with very simple rules.
Answer "yes" if you think Doctor Who HAS become unsuitable for children, answer "no" if you think it IS still suitable for children.
But before you do that, here's a bit of context...

etc...etc....

Here's my Fortean question...Have I time traveled back to the Whitehouse era? I mean the Doctor's an older gentleman...an episode was scarey....

82% who voted as of this moment in time have voted "No" so just something that the Mirror appears to have made up ie there was no story to start with and the Mirror starts to write something trying to whip up a frenzy. I notice there is no ability to comment.

I recall Kim Newman pointing out that when he was watching DW as a child, he would find it really scary, but there was no way on Earth he was going to stop watching it. I think most viewers can relate to that.

Precisely - why else does the phrase "hiding behind the sofa", to Brits at least, conjure up one TV series more than any other?

It's a Ghost Train. The scariness, the uncertainty, the seeming-hopelessness and the ultimate resolution and safety-by-bedtime (or is it?) are all part of what makes it what it is - or should be. Sanitising DW ultimately did for it last time, when even the fans weren't sure what it was supposed to be any more. I just hope Moffatt doesn't turn it into a full on camp pantomime again, and given episodes like Listen, and how Capaldi is very quickly making the role his own, I'm actually very hopeful.

A friend of mine called this the Groundskeeper Capaldi episode. Really pushing the boundaries of Hartnell-esque grumpy old bastard in this one, good thing he's adept at the humour or this Doc would be hard to take. I'd like to see a comedy episode with a genuinely menacing baddie, though, it would be a nice mix (yeah, I know it was trying to kill us all, but who really thought it would?)

Anyway, for all the unfriendly Doc business, they pulled it back when Danny observed how much he does care for Clara because the Doc doesn't want to see her hurt, hence all the gruff, bluff behaviour to keep her at arm's length while he's actually looking out for her, but isn't the sort to admit it. Though with Moffat around, there's no guarantee she will be safe forever. Just don't kill her off at Christmas!

Loving Capaldi but tonight's episode was way too soapy.

Something really doesn't feel right about most of the season but I can't put my finger on it. :?

Back