• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Blimey, episode 2 was a bit good.

All the time-lords and Gallifrey destroyed, that's totally put the mystery back into the series. No wonder this new Doctor is a bit on the edge of crazy and unstable.
Not being a great reader I've never read the books, but didn't Gallifrey get destoryed in the New Adventures?

There was a definite Britishness about this episode that you just don't get in Star Trek. Brilliant!

Red_Dalek said:
Blimey, episode 2 was a bit good.

All the time-lords and Gallifrey destroyed, that's totally put the mystery back into the series. No wonder this new Doctor is a bit on the edge of crazy and unstable.
Not being a great reader I've never read the books, but didn't Gallifrey get destoryed in the New Adventures?

There was a definite Britishness about this episode that you just don't get in Star Trek. Brilliant!

Yes! I refer you to the Dr Who novel "Ancestor Cell" by Peter Anghelides & Stephen Cole. It explains what happend to Gallifrey and plays merry hell with established continuuity in a way only possible in time travel fiction. Synopis Here; Spoilers Warning.

It's the only Dr Who book I've read other than some of the original ones... I'm going to go back and look out some others...

We enjoyed the second episode too. Did anyone see the new Quatermass broadcast? I think David Tennant would make a brilliant Doctor, although I'd still prefer Bill Nighy or, even better, R.E.G. (who's portrayal of the Doctor online is just amazing).

I think I'm beginning to see what they meant about being influenced by 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. First prog. sets up the premise, second prog develops the characters, wonder when this series' 'Big Bad' gets introduced? Could there be a connection with the fate of Gallifrey and the Time Lords?

8)

DR1.jpg

Bill Nighy? Too much like having Doctor Who played by Leslie Philips!

Didn't like Richard E Grant's portrayl OR the animated webcast at all unfortunately.

Tonights Episode however I thought was excellent stuff. Really enjoyed it, and the next one after that looks terrifying. This series really is shaping up nicely in my opinion. The gallifrey backstory, the mystery, everything about it thus far has really kicked it into the 21st century... lots of ideas in this one, we had more time to explore with the characters and I loved the way they showed an assistant finally actually obsorbing the fact that they've encountered aliens for the first time, and mirrored that with someone showing up at a party where they don't know anyone...

Also, the trick with the mobile phone and the gag that followed there after about the phone bill... hillarious (along with the line "Could the owner of the blue box please report to the stewards office")

The Quatermas Experiment felt like it went out with a whimper unfortunately... but some of the mistakes made were amusing...and I take it Tennent's a well experienced board walker... his performance was possibly the best.

[Emp edit: Quatermas discussion split off and continues here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 762#521762 ]

GNC said:
I wish Mark Gatiss had stopped rubbing his nose every five seconds though, it was very distracting...
I think he does that to stop himself 'corpsing'.

and yeah, tennent nearly fell over, but seemlessly recovered unlike the reporter fella. I was pretty impressed by him, and news of him playing the doc can only be good, surely. makes me wonder, will all planets have a Scotland as well as a North or will he be using the accent he used for Cassanova?*

(*see how I brought that back on topic...the David Tennent almost slipping over equivelent in text form if ever I saw it)

Red Dalek; Who or what is a Valyard?

HA, who is geeky but not that geeky

The Valyard is the Doctor's 'dark side' or composite there of between his twelth and final regeneration. mentioned in 'trial of the timelord' (aka: Trial of Colin Baker...) when he's first convicted of genocide I think?

He also ends up becoming Merlin and aiding earth in a war in the 53rd century or something like that. And lastly, he also regenerates as a red haired doctor at one point... so Gatiss could play that one, or indeed Jason Flemyng could;)

Homo Aves said:
Red Dalek; Who or what is a Valyard?
Most people were probably watching the A-Team at the time.
The Valyard was the embodiment of a projected last incarnation of the Doctor, who the time lords used to prosecute the Doctor in Trial of a Time Lord (Colin Baker). The idea was that in each regeneration they'd focus on his darkest and worse traits, the Valyard was the result.
One thing that was noticeable last night was the way that the Doctor just let the villain die at the end when a quick water spray could have saved her. I couldn't have imagined earlier incarnations doing that, they'd have insisted on some form of legal trial. He's reaching a darkness that the unstable sixth incarnation didn't get to.

Red_Dalek said:
... I couldn't have imagined earlier incarnations doing that, they'd have insisted on some form of legal trial. He's reaching a darkness that the unstable sixth incarnation didn't get to.
William Hartnell's Doctor might well have let her die. 8)

The series is shaping up nicely, I reckon there were a few homages to Douglas Adams in that one, though darker than DA would have made it.

I like the idea of getting the Time Lords out of the way, it's hard to write stories that involve minor gods. The reason that Gallifrey developed into an intrigue-ridden cross beyween the Vatican and a rather stuffy Oxbridge College was a way to get round this. It'll be interesting to see whether they're following the continuity of the books where it was the civil war with Faction Paradox that destroyed Gallifrey, or whether (and I suspect this is the way they're going) it's a set up for a later story in this series where the Doctor confronts the destroyers (the Daleks, possibly).

Actually I hope they're not going to get hung up on continuity. Terry Prachett commented, when someone tried to pick him up on continuity, that some of his characters have alternative pasts - I think that's is the best way to handle continuity.

AndroMan said:

"Hello I'm the Doctor, you must be Rose. Ding Dong"

Quite like that actually :D

We were having a debate in the pub about who the next Dr should be. Suggestions included Rik Mayall (with Ade Edmonson as Davros fighting it out with frying pans and cricket bats) and dear old Brian Blessed, he'd certainly put the wind up the daleks!

bigphoot said:
AndroMan said:

"Hello I'm the Doctor, you must be Rose. Ding Dong"

Quite like that actually :D

We were having a debate in the pub about who the next Dr should be. Suggestions included Rik Mayall (with Ade Edmonson as Davros fighting it out with frying pans and cricket bats) and dear old Brian Blessed, he'd certainly put the wind up the daleks!

now Brian Blessed there is the ultimate Doctor,

I loved the misinformed jokes on behalf of the "last human". The "Ipod" playing classical music was hilarious. Loved it when the Doctor started to bop to Tainted Love! :lol:
And the time when "Toxic" by Brittney Spears becomes a classic is the time the earth should get blown up! ;)

Brian Blessed? wasnt he Don Cammilo??

That would scare the daleks....

Here's a thought.

Did the Doctor deliberately select Jave to accompany him to save the day because he knew that she knew he was a time-lord, and he knew that she'd probably burn there saving the station? Thus, the fact he's a time-lord stays a secret.

Its not that much of a secret?

He eventualy got quite an important security position. I think a lot of high ups knew about him.

Red_Dalek said:
Here's a thought.

Did the Doctor deliberately select Jave to accompany him to save the day because he knew that she knew he was a time-lord, and he knew that she'd probably burn there saving the station? Thus, the fact he's a time-lord stays a secret.
Now. That's the sort of thing the Doctor really would never do! :shock:

AndroMan said:
Maybe not before Gallifrey was destroyed, but now?
Things have changed drasticaly for him since he last had a cosy tea with the Brigadeer.

He could be on the run from a foe that can follow him or has agents throughout time. By erasing the only person on the station to know he's a time-lord (the last time-lord?) he'd be covering his tracks.

Red_Dalek said:
AndroMan said:
Maybe not before Gallifrey was destroyed, but now?
Things have changed drasticaly for him since he last had a cosy tea with the Brigadeer.

He could be on the run from a foe that can follow him or has agents throughout time. By erasing the only person on the station to know he's a time-lord (the last time-lord?) he'd be covering his tracks.
Nope, not even then. :)

We're talking about the same bloke who stole the TARDIS. He's not all sweetness and light.

Going all the way back to the Unearthly Child story, there was some scene or other where Ian had to stop the Doctor from clubbing an injured caveman to death with a rock when they were trying to run away and the injured bloke was slowing them down.

We only know what we've seen. If he was capable of it then, he will be now. Remember this is the same time-lord that can become the Valyard. Of course he's capable, the question is was it a deliberate action? He must have known the heat in there was going to be capable of burning her to death, why not take someone else?

Red_Dalek said:
We're talking about the same bloke who stole the TARDIS. He's not all sweetness and light.

Going all the way back to the Unearthly Child story, there was some scene or other where Ian had to stop the Doctor from clubbing an injured caveman to death with a rock when they were trying to run away and the injured bloke was slowing them down.

We only know what we've seen. If he was capable of it then, he will be now. Remember this is the same time-lord that can become the Valyard. Of course he's capable, the question is was it a deliberate action? He must have known the heat in there was going to be capable of burning her to death, why not take someone else?
She volunteered.

She went with him, but he did ask her to. He could have asked anyone there, but he asked the one who knew he was a time-lord. The after show documentary implied there was something between them, but I interpretted this way.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree as to his possible intentions on this one.

Red_Dalek said:
She went with him, but he did ask her to. He could have asked anyone there, but he asked the one who knew he was a time-lord. The after show documentary implied there was something between them, but I interpreted this way.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree as to his possible intentions on this one.
And, this Valyard personification, was only a possible projection of the Doctor, by the Timelords of Gallifrey, who have always singularily managed to misunderstand him.

Stealing a used TARDIS is hardly in the same league as enticing a young sapling to her death.

No, I just put it down to a certain 'join the dots' sloppiness in the script. Establishing a sympathetic character, using her to advance the Doctor's backstory and then killing her off to give the Doctor a reason for the sort of righteous anger, where he would then have a reason to show his new darker side.

A very similiar plot development situation ocurred, between the unfortunate maintenace engineer and Rose. Sloppy, and clumsy. But, my 10 year old son didn't notice. He just thought it was the best thing he'd ever seen and he can't wait for the next episode!

:lol:

I'm definately of the opinion that the Doctor had :roll: wood :roll: for Jabe and I for one don't fault him. Also remember that Jabe didn''t have to go with him and was given the option of leaving when he became aware of the danger to her. She was a VIP and certainly didn't have to get involved. However I feel that she was loving every minute of it.

Shame about her demise; I'm of the opinion that we need more non-human companions.

Niles Calder said:
I'm definately of the opinion that the Doctor had :roll: wood :roll: for Jabe and I for one don't fault him. Also remember that Jabe didn''t have to go with him and was given the option of leaving when he became aware of the danger to her. She was a VIP and certainly didn't have to get involved. However I feel that she was loving every minute of it.

Shame about her demise; I'm of the opinion that we need more inhuman companions.

I liked the way the episode branched in that direction, though I didn't think he would leaf her there.

I was not looking forward to this new series, but I now think that Mr Ecclestone is a fantastic Doctor, the right amount of quirkiness but with a hint of an underlying dangerous sexiness that has so far been missing from other Doctors. I am greatly upset that he has said he won't do another series.

Wraps herself in tinfoil al la early cybermen...

"Persuade him, anyone? We cant have Brian Blessed beating up the daleks with his bare fists, can we?"

Back