• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Well, it's been more popular than ever this year, so maybe you're out of touch with current trends or something.

I've been with Dr Who since 1970. It was inspirational and it is the reason i became a cryptozoologist. The classic days of Pertwee and Baker were peerless. It combined horror and science fiction in a way no other show ever did and it was dark and disturbing. Monsters could lurk on your doorstep, giant maggots in Welsh slag heaps, intelligent marine dinosaurs, alien minds inhabiting children's toys and shop dummies, giant, psychic, interdimentional spiders, giant killer rats in Victorian sewers, monster, parasitic plants, death cults worshiping Egyptian gods, robot mummies, live, blood sucking standing stones, robot dogs fighting robot parrots (honest) christ it was good. You never got that in Star Trek.
And look at it now. A woman cast as the Doctor to placate the snowflakes (the Doctor always regenerated into a man and Romana into a woman. No mention of gender fluidity was made until The Doctor's Wife now its been shoehorned in for pc reasons. Doctor Who is no longer Doctor Who. It is an exersise in box ticking. Its only hope is cancellation and retconning down the line.
For the love of Rassilon, spare me the incessant whining of a "It's Not As Good As The Original I Saw When I Was A Child, Simply Because My Mind Is Too Inflexible To Deal With Changes In Both Reality And In Fiction". If you dislike it that much, simply stop watching and find something else to do with your time...

For the love of Rassilon, spare me the incessant whining of a "It's Not As Good As The Original I Saw When I Was A Child, Simply Because My Mind Is Too Inflexible To Deal With Changes In Both Reality And In Fiction". If you dislike it that much, simply stop watching and find something else to do with your time...

All right, calm down, some people just don't like change. And women (!).

If you ask me the problem started in the Restoration, when they let women become actors.

Next thing you know, they'll want the vote, or equal pay or something.

I think Jodie's doing a great job. As are the rest of the cast. I think this week's story left a few too many loose ends.

The ending felt a bit rushed but I enjoyed it. Not my favourite of the series but still a good laugh.

I liked the graphic of the Tardis going through the time vortex and the classic "Who" scene of the Dr and companions clutching onto the consul as they get thrashed around.

giant spiders due to toxic waste and nasty business man - Classic "Who"
Feeling sorry for and humane disposal of the giant spiders - New "Who"

"I used to have sisters, I used to BE a sister, at the aqua hospital" interesting quote from the Dr perhaps alluding to a past female self

The ending felt a bit rushed but I enjoyed it. Not my favourite of the series but still a good laugh.

It did peter out a bit, but sealing the spiders in a big room where they could eat each other was nicely shivery.

Really liked Whittaker's scene where the Doc was feeling very lonely and practically willing them all to invite her for tea. She's an interesting mix of vulnerable and indomitable, refreshing (though she'll still be compared to David Tennant, it seems).

It did peter out a bit, but sealing the spiders in a big room where they could eat each other was nicely shivery.

Really liked Whittaker's scene where the Doc was feeling very lonely and practically willing them all to invite her for tea. She's an interesting mix of vulnerable and indomitable, refreshing (though she'll still be compared to David Tennant, it seems).
It's the energetic way she behaves. I get a Tennant vibe from her portrayal as well.
Honestly, if I were to complain about anything in her take its that. Minor issue, though. I prefer old Doctors.

I liked the graphic of the Tardis going through the time vortex and the classic "Who" scene of the Dr and companions clutching onto the consul as they get thrashed around.

giant spiders due to toxic waste and nasty business man - Classic "Who"
Feeling sorry for and humane disposal of the giant spiders - New "Who"

"I used to have sisters, I used to BE a sister, at the aqua hospital" interesting quote from the Dr perhaps alluding to a past female self
I think it's pretty much canon that we've now seen all the Doctor's previous incarnations. They snuck in the War Doctor, but pretty much used that to force the crisis at the end of "Time of the Doctor". I think the occasional suggestion that the Doctor was previously a girl (as Missy claimed) was either an outright lie, or possibly an obscure reference to the etymology of the terms boy and girl. (I suspect the former rather than the latter.) As for being a Sister, it's possible a previous Doctor disguised themselves as a Sister. There is a precedent for the Doctor cross-dressing, after all, even if it was just an excuse for Pertwee to mess about.

First two episodes were utter pants, poorly written , plot that had no idea what it was doing and the old "doctor points sonic screwdriver at everything to fix problem" - what a mess.

Rosa episode was pretty good.

I think it's pretty much canon that we've now seen all the Doctor's previous incarnations. They snuck in the War Doctor, but pretty much used that to force the crisis at the end of "Time of the Doctor". I think the occasional suggestion that the Doctor was previously a girl (as Missy claimed) was either an outright lie, or possibly an obscure reference to the etymology of the terms boy and girl. (I suspect the former rather than the latter.) As for being a Sister, it's possible a previous Doctor disguised themselves as a Sister. There is a precedent for the Doctor cross-dressing, after all, even if it was just an excuse for Pertwee to mess about.
And Troughton.

For god sake spare me your spineless pc, sjw, snowflake bleating. New Doctor Who is abysmally written tribe that makes the worst of the John Nathan Turner look like Dickens. It has the subtlety and nuance of a flying brick. Horror and science fiction mean nothing any more, good story telling casting and acting mean nothing any any more just as long as the BBC ticks its little boxes.

All right, calm down, some people just don't like change. And women (!).
I love women i just don't like shoehorned gender change. Nothing in the show's history hinted sat this. It was only brought up in The Doctor's Wife.

Well....they're not.

"An average audience of 6.4 million tuned in for the fourth episode of the new series of Doctor Who yesterday evening, matching last week's numbers exactly. The series average so far based on overnight data is 7 million viewers, well up on the previous season.

The first of ten new episodes had launched at the start of the month to 8 million viewers, consolidating to more than 10 million. The BBC previous revealed that it was the most viewed Doctor Who launch since the revival in 2005."

https://tellymix.co.uk/ratings/3811...e-dancing-and-x-factor-viewing-figures-4.html

Yes, Jodie's the most popular Doctor in years, no matter what a curious breed of stick in the mud are claiming.

I don't call a nose dive from 9 million to 6 million being popular. This has cancellation written all over it. And no matter if if were super popular it still would not be Doctor Who, just a pc bastardization of it.

I don't call a nose dive from 9 million to 6 million being popular. This has cancellation written all over it. And no matter if if were super popular it still would not be Doctor Who, just a pc bastardization of it.
No one will ever cancel Doctor Who.

I love women i just don't like shoehorned gender change. Nothing in the show's history hinted sat this. It was only brought up in The Doctor's Wife.
It has to start somewhere...

When I was 17/18 I had a friend who was a Who fan, I think he was a member of the official fan club (about 40 yrs ago) He told me about the debate around having a female Dr around the time Peter Davison was coming to the end of his tenure. I remember Beryl Reid was mentioned.

The CGI spiders were well done, but the story was painfully weak and too politically preachy by far.
Just for once in DW, why don't the scriptwriters put in a surprising twist by making the token middle-aged white man in a suit the good guy, rather than the boo-hiss villain? The ending felt very rushed too, as if they'd blown all the budget on the spiders and had to pull the plug.
Last week's race on the alien planet was a decent 7/10, but this was no more than a 5, if I'm being generous.

6.4 million people watched the fourth episode live. The 10 million who viewed the first episode is consolidated which means it includes on-demand and time-shifted views which haven't been included yet.

upload_2018-10-31_9-42-54.png

I am quite enjoying it although I also find the moralising a bit tedious but as elsewhere stated, it is not aimed at adults. I was a bit confused as to why the big bad businessman was entirely to blame and not in any way the scientist who was genetically engineering spiders then failing to incinerate carcasses and instead just chucking them into landfill bins.

"as elsewhere stated, it is not aimed at adults."

Not sure that pushing political messages at kids can be justified either!

I don't recall Doctor Who in its heyday (which for me was the Tom Baker era) engaging in so much politicising, tokenism and box-ticking.
It used to be more about a rattling good story.

I am not sure I recall that either and I would be inclined to give The Youth Of Today a wee bit more credit in being able to pick up on more subtle cues myself but hey ho. Mind you, I was behind Evil Businessman in shooting the giant spiders. I felt sorry for them too, it wasn't their fault but I am not clear on why standing watching them slowly suffocating to death is somehow more dignified and humane than shooting them.

PFHTS
People for the Humane Treatment of Spiders! :spider:

"as elsewhere stated, it is not aimed at adults."

Not sure that pushing political messages at kids can be justified either!

I don't recall Doctor Who in its heyday (which for me was the Tom Baker era) engaging in so much politicising, tokenism and box-ticking.
It used to be more about a rattling good story.

Yes but in Tom's day nobody cared about appealing to anyone outside of a white-middle English environment. Today though people who work on the telly have realized that they share their world with people who look different, have different shades of skin, people with willies who really like other people with willes, etc.

So things have had to change. Yes it can be awkward and can be considered tokenism, but that will hopefully get more natural when get get more people who aren't your white-middle class stereotype in the business.

Don't worry though I don't think middle class white people have too much to fear yet though, we are still well represented on the telly.

Also what was wrong with the Rosa episode? It was much better written than the previous two and whats wrong with educating children on a children's tv show? Doctor Who has always used historical settings cuse it's a show about, you know, time travel??

I don't recall to many people moaning about the Churchill or Vincent Van Gogh episodes?

Ahh but they're not black.

Back