• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I find the idea of putting a warning at the begining just plain daft... it's DR WHO, that should be enough for anyone with more than two brain cells.

Besides, your average 8 year old scares me a lot more than Dr Who every will.

Bring on the Daleks!

Emperor said:
I don't think it's suitable for young children to watch. In fact, I don't think it's suitable for anyone to watch!
Tony, UK

Anyone else get the urge to mutter "Oh shut up, Parsons." when they got to that one? :D

...I'll get me coat. :(

It was nothing compared to some of the old stuff.

`cabinet of Weng chu` Very chthulu.

and there is a drug taking scene in it.

All we need now is a complaint by Mrs W.

Now that would be a case of "The Unquiet Dead".

Of course, after all the fuss being made, more people will watch it.

96 people out of 8 million (or however many watched) I'd call laughable concern.

Doctor Who being scary? Well duh, evidently the concept of 'hiding behind the sofa' hasn't settled with 96 people. Big deal.

Red_Dalek said:
All we need now is a complaint by Mrs W.

Now that would be a case of "The Unquiet Dead".
I thought that was her in the opening scenes, lying in the coffin? :confused:

Isn't all the fuss, about kids being too scared, just like the Doctor's heydays, back in the Sixties and Seventies? Admittedly, my kid couldn't get to sleep for ages that night and was complaining, for a few days after, about being extra scared by the episode, because 'it was about dead people', but I remember my early run ins with the Daleks, the Zarbi, the Yeti, the Cybermen and etc. Gives us a, generations crossing, point of contact!

:rofl:

My children are 6,8 and 11 and enjoyed Dr Who. They were scared, as you are supposed to be, but still wanted to watch more. But they have seen the older episodes too and were scared by them as well, so it's all poppycock from some over protective wishy washy parents. If your kids are that scared don't let them watch it.

My children are 6,8 and 11 and enjoyed Dr Who. They were scared, as you are supposed to be, but still wanted to watch more. But they have seen the older episodes too and were scared by them as well, so it's all poppycock from some over protective wishy washy parents. If your kids are that scared don't let them watch it.
Safe viewing position for Dr Who =
couch.gif

<HA is frantically loading her Dalek punching Xbow...."where? where?">

As the search function is knackered and I've not got the patience to check through the whole thread, can someone enlighten me regarding the reconstructions of the episodes of which the original tapes were lost?

I've had a look at some websites to see how it's done etc, but it'd be nice to hear from someone who's actually seen them, just to know if it's worth parting with my hard earned cash to get the Daleks' Masterplan!

TIA :D

I just saw 2 episodes tonight, it's shaping up rather well. Nicely creepy, nicely dark, and a nicely flawed doctor. Like how they've moved things on with the story arc that's being hinted at re Gallifrey.

Not so sure about the semi-romantic angle they're playing, or maybe it's just different. Times changing and all that...

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a tenth Doctor, announced a few moments ago.....

David Tennant!

Hoorah!! :D

If you sit your but down on the sofa with your child and put your arm around them and tell them that the ghosts on the TV aren't real and can't get them then they don't tend to get so scared. Of course that means actually spening some time with your kinds. It means not using the TV as a babysitter.

Grrrr

Or Rowan Atkinson.

Richard E Grant might have been good.

I admit the new title does look good flying through the screen and the theme tune rocks but I still don't like the costume all that much.

Never heard of him.....

<HA is now doing strange things to her Anime action figures...>

Hmm... I thought tonight's episode was the weakest so far. Whilst I appreciate that they've put a lot of emphasis on 'family viewing', this was more like something I'd expect to have seen on CBBC.

The farting thing wasn't really executed in a funny way, because the aliens were so flippant about it all. To see serious and sinister aliens letting rip, and then shrugging it off would have been better. Even the Doctor wasn't very Doctorish..

Maybe I'm getting a bit too jaded after seeing a lot of sci-fi and horror films/programmes having the 'humour' content upped over the last decade.

The aliens weren't remotely scary in their normal form either. Hrmmm.. :?

Maybe UNIT'll make an appearance next week to rescue it.

I thought it was OK - the pacing seemed much less rushed and it has a cliff hanger ;) . The line:

"Please could you stop farting while I'm trying to save the world"

is a winner ;)

"A wife, a mistress and a young farmer"

The aliens seemed odd - their rather doll-like faces and they had a rather lumering "man-in-foam-rubber-suit" gait which rather contrasts with the clips of the CGI versions which seemed a lot more fluid and quick.

What's the point of setting up a cliff-hanger and then spoiling it all by showing what happens next week?

Red_Dalek said:
What's the point of setting up a cliff-hanger and then spoiling it all by showing what happens next week?

Exactly! It's a sign of the times I suppose. They work on the assumption that people -need- to have a little teaser, just to bring them back next week. Man... I'm watching "The Tenth Planet" as we speak.. a fine antidote :p

Even the Doctor wasn't very Doctorish..

I thought he was alright, but this "are The Doctor and Rose at it?" thing running through the show is getting a bit tiring now.

I'd like to see a bit more about the destruction of the time lords hinted at the other week, he's making it sound like he's become a bit of a tourist-style time traveller.

I'm enjoying the new Doctor immensely. No screaming sidekick whose only function is to say, "What's that, Doctor?" in its various forms, and scream loudly at nothing in particular.

And no ridiculous costume.

I like the way Ecclestone moves from foppish to deadly serious to playful so quickly. It seems to incorporate the many aspects of the Doctor. It's just such a bloody shame he's only doing one series.

I liked the cute faced monsters. I'm sick of cute aliens being the goodies and evil aliens having faces like (excuse me, but you know it's true) genitalia. I think it's a nice swipe at Spielberg's big cute eyes equal goodies crap. And I like men in rubber outfits.

Or maybe that's the topic for a different thread... ;)

No - I like proper special effects. People in monster suits. They may look vaguely ridiculous, but come on - which Doctor adversaries haven't? And the programme is still aimed at young teens - not the 30 somethings we've grown into.

Red_Dalek said:
Sloppy trailer management! :(

i think doing a cliff hanger these days is somewhat difficult, after all announcing the doctors replacement and letting it be known how many episodes the series runs for also ruins any cliff hanger, oops using adult logic on what is actually a "family" program but one that is aimed at the students, and people who watched the last episode of the last series of Dr Who

I loved the hell out of the episode. I was scared and having to hide behind a cushion!

The Gelph zombies were rather scary last week. And the Autons gave me nightmares that night, oddly enough!

Anyone think this weeks had a feeling of "Bad Taste" about it? Perhaps we'll get some headshots in the second installment as they kill the alien menace (fingers crossed) ;)

jima said:
Even the Doctor wasn't very Doctorish..

I thought he was alright, but this "are The Doctor and Rose at it?" thing running through the show is getting a bit tiring now.
I felt there was considerable emphathis over his sexual ambiguity this week.

the 'he could be gay' was hinted at again.

Back