• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I have to say I thought last week's episode was fantastic (not Peter Kay though, that Aborsopaloff-whatever-it-was was well cheesy but still it was damn good) and this week's not so brilliant but still enjoyable.

OOOOOH!! Next week's episode looks like it will be a good 'un though :shock:

S'allright...not the worst, not the best. Would have been good to see the drawing in the cupboard actually moving around like the "scribble".

Eh...the trail for next week, did the Doc say "Send that thing back to Hell?"...was it the thing from the Satan Pit?

Storm's coming (ooooooh eeeeeee oooooooooh)

Two glasses of Valpollicella later...

Yeah, I did like tonight's. In retrospect, it was good that they played down the animations, cos that could have detracted from the action a bit (besides, the unseen or glimpsed is always more sinister.)

They aren't half building up to Rose leaving though, aren't they? Notice how she and the Doc are getting physically closer by the week, holding hands a lot, etc etc... perhaps if she does cop it he'll be more aloof with his next companion, unwilling to get close again.

Am I rambling yet? just tell me...

What was the thing about the Doctor saying he had been a father in his time?

TheQuixote said:

Well, that might explain why Susan used to call him "Grandfather"!

TheQuixote said:
Susan, from the original series, was supposedly his grandaughter. So, it would follow that he had had children.

randoma30.gif

Doh!! Of course!!

TBH I've only ever seen the Hartnell films. Tom Baker was my 'first' as it were but even then that's going into shady memory time.

Peter Davison is the Doctor that I can certainly recall with any clarity.

The Time Lords were an ancient race, but certainly not immortal - IIRC their population growth was static, ie a new one born for each that died (source was I think Dr Who magazine circa 1979.)

I often wondered if Susan was wholly or just partly Gallifreyan, and if so whethe ror not she had some Time Lord attributes, like two hearts, or extreme longevity, or the ability to regenerate.

If so, there's food for thought - she could easily return :).

Yes, she could come back if she's a Gallifreyan.

Makes Doc1 a bit heartless, condemning her to live on Earth long after her reason for being there has died. But there you go.

Id still love to see an episode that had no mush in it though. I havent seen many of the old Dr Who episodes but I dont remember them all having a cuddle and a cry at the end of Weng Chi Ang (sorry spelling) or even after the proposal after the episode set in the Welsh mines when the Doctors companian is propoed to (I have only seen the episodes the my uni had on dvd btw). What happened to the Doctor being good at fighting?

Oh dear. I watched on Saturday, having missed much of the previous week's episode. Have to say, I wish I'd missed this one - crap acting, crap story, no monster (I know, but a voice at the top of the stairs? Do me a favour), utterly forgettable. I thought the Tennant stories started promisingly, but there have been a couple of real duds now. That "Wire" story whose name I keep forgetting and this latest one have been pretty awful.

I'm afraid I don't get the current obsession of the producers with setting stories on present-day Earth. With a few limitations, Dr Who has the whole of time and space to play with, and what do we get? Eastenders!

Perhaps I'm being hyper-critical, but my favourite episodes this series have been "The Impossible Planet" and "The Girl in The Fireplace" (which was very good), both of which did clever things with time and space, with a human touch. I enjoyed the Cybermen too, for nostalgic reasons, and so I'm looking forward to seeing them again - maybe the new story (with the now-obligatory Torchwood) will tie up new and ancient Cybermen episodes?

Whatever happened to the old days, before the Tardis had decent Sat-Nav, and the Doctor never had much of a clue where he'd end up?

Have to say, I found 'Fear Her' somewhat disappointing. Okay-ish, but not great, and the sillinesss factor went beyond the bounds of that which is normally acceptable for a Who episode (namely, the news report about all the people disappearing in the olympic stadium - which, later on, casually takes us to the olympic runner without even a mention of the astonishing event at Wembley. It could have been rescued by one simple device - that of a couple of talking heads musing on the fact that it's probably a surprise magic trick by the likes of David Copperfield. But anyway...)

The odd decent moment though: The Doctor's newfound distaste for cats (presumably he thinks the same way about nuns now!), the out-of-the-blue reference to being a father, and the astonishing trailer for next weeks' episode: was that a Dalek X-Ray I saw being deployed there?

Says much, I think, when the trailer proves to be much more interesting than the episode that preceded it. Still, the majority of this current run of Who has been excellent - and much more daring in terms of style (Love and Monsters) and content (The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit) than the last. The occasional duffer of an episode is inevitable in any series, so can't really complain.

Well, I liked it.

I'm sad to say that Doctor Who and BSG are the only things I actually pay attention to any more, which either says something terrible about a) american television or b) me.

Or both.

The disappearance in the stadium is mentioned. Good old Huw rambles at some length about it, even going so far as to mention it might be a case for Torchwood. And how could you not love the "Bob? Oh, not you too Bob!" moment? He then goes back to talking about the Olympic torch as being more important now, more of a symbol than ever - and ladles (duff dialogue moment) about it being a symbol of love.

There's bound to be stuff in the conspiracy forum about how it's anything but that. I digress.

We had some very nice dialogue
- Everything's coming up Doctor
- manly hairy hand (and oh BOY did that start some fan speculation when it showed up as a still. Some folks were wondering whether the hand the Doctor lost in The Christmas Invasion might have regenerated an entire Doctor).
- Snakes and ladders...I'm being facetious...no call for it.
- Fingers on LIPS!

All in all, solid episode that leads up to what is either going to be the two-parter that will cause spontaneous outbreaks of fangasm worldwide or be a universal and crushing disappointment.

BSG? Sorry, brain not work. What that when it home?

I think I perhaps need to justify my dislike of present-day Dr Who stories. It's not just that it seems a waste of a good time-machine (if you were in Rose's place, wouldn't you want to visit places a bit more exotic - or do we not see the bits when they have unexciting beach holidays on far-away planets?), it's also that when the Doctor lands in a recognisable locale, we have to suspend our disbelief more, not less, than when he lands somewhere truly alien. Consider this: in every present-day story, we are asked to accept that the entire future of the Earth rests on the Doctor's presence there at that time. Don't the Daleks/Cybermen/Sycorax ever invade even two days before the Tardis arrives?

Sorry to be such a whinger, I do love the show, and next week's looks good, but like others, I enjoyed the preview of that more then I did the story which preceded it. I just hope Rose's real mother gets the Cyber-makeover this time, and then we can get away from crappy soap-opera once and for all.

Yes, I found Huw Edwards quite funny, but was it really in keeping with the show? A bit unnecessary - a bit rubbish.

I'm not really a miserable old git. Honestly.

Peripart said:
BSG? Sorry, brain not work. What that when it home?

Battlestar Galactica?

Consider this: in every present-day story, we are asked to accept that the entire future of the Earth rests on the Doctor's presence there at that time. Don't the Daleks/Cybermen/Sycorax ever invade even two days before the Tardis arrives?

Why, it's almost as if the Tardis is alive and knows when people need the Doctor's help! How much more entertaining would it be if the Doctor and his companions sat about sipping iced tea on a Mediterranean beach world.

Peripart said:
Don't the Daleks/Cybermen/Sycorax ever invade even two days before the Tardis arrives?

Occasionally, they do.

Isn't it 2150 when the Doctor and granddaughter arrive to find the Daleks have already taken over the earth?

Actually, now you mention it, this has been the subject of one or two jokes down the years.

During 'Doctor Who Night' on Beeb 2 there's a sketch involving Mark Gatiss as the Doctor and the not-bald bloke from Little Britain as an alien. The alien nasties approach the Doctor to make sure his schedule is clear to foil their dastardly scheme. They're also looking for some advice as to what that dastardly scheme should be.

There's also a gag in one of the novels, where a companion mentions that the Doctor should probably get an automated answering service where monsters can notify him of their attempts at world domination. Bad news for the monster if the Doctor is there and picks up, of course.

Isnt the TARDIS what sets The Doctor apart, why he survived? The other Tardii were under the control of the [*however many] Timelords it takes to drive one, but our TARDIS has always been a bit rogue, a bit all seeing. Maybe it takes that many* Timelords to stop a Tardi from leading them off to somewhere that needs help, a temporal nexus if you will.

By the way, we all have geographic and social nexuseseses.... So it is only fair to have time ones too. :)

[/chardonnay]

Consider this: in every present-day story, we are asked to accept that the entire future of the Earth rests on the Doctor's presence there at that time. Don't the Daleks/Cybermen/Sycorax ever invade even two days before the Tardis arrives?

And isn't it funny the way the Doctor always seems to be around when, say, a UFO crashes into Big Ben, or the dead are walking the streets of Cardiff?

I suppose a case can be made by the fact that the Tardis, in being a living time-machine, is somehow sensitive to the major blips in the space-time continuum, and is predisposed to materialising just before/during these major events. This would also explain the quirkiness of thing, the way it doesn't always take the Doctor to where he wants to go.

Dunno if the explanation is no-prize material, but it'll do for me.

I think I perhaps need to justify my dislike of present-day Dr Who stories. It's not just that it seems a waste of a good time-machine (if you were in Rose's place, wouldn't you want to visit places a bit more exotic - or do we not see the bits when they have unexciting beach holidays on far-away planets?),

Well, it has been hinted at. I remember one episode from last season where Rose was telling Mickey about a planet where she saw a huge tidal wave freeze in mid-crest; probably beyond the FX budget at the Beeb, but I think it's actually quite a nice touch to have characters occasionally wax lyrical about the offscreen events. Creates almost a kind of back-story, and the impression that the Doctor's world is larger and much more magical than what we see on screen. It also offers the chance for the viewer to exercise his or her imagination for a bit - which, when it comes to TV, is no bad thing.

'Army of Ghosts' - well..stonking, in a word!

All those weeks avoiding the spoilers really paid off - the appearance of our surprise guests near the end was truly spine-tingling. Looks like saving on the FX budget in the last two episodes paid dividends, too - loved the intro, with the Doctor and Rose visiting that alien planet, and the simultaneous appearance of the Cybermen all over the world was a fantastic homage to that iconic B&W Who scene of the Cybermen marching on London with St. Pauls Cathedral in the background.

In short - just cannot wait for the season finale!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Really and I liked the way the whole cybermen in polythene was done like the old Birth of the Cybermen!

Oh dear,
I loved it, takes a lot to surprise me these days....

Daleks....

God, I sound sad...

When I first saw the "ghosts", I thought mmmmh...I wonder if RTD has been reading the Shadow People thread? ;)

Yes, excellent stuff and thankfully Derek Acorah was only in it for about two seconds. Daleks teaming up with Cybermen sounds a bit fan fiction-ish, but I still have high hopes for next week, even if it does look as there are only three Daleks.

Nice that Tennant gets his chance to fight them, anyway.

Well, I know there were spoilers, but I just didn't believe 'em :D

It's all a bit Alien -v- Predator, don't you think? But in a good way?

Mind you, I can't see it working. Daleks don't like anything human(or at least non-Dalek); Cybermen have human bits; both have a penchant for world domination, and a bad previous record for sharing their toys. Hmmmmm..... ;)

And there was me expecting the Prince of Darkness to come out of the sphere.

Yes, excellent stuff and thankfully Derek Acorah was only in it for about two seconds. Daleks teaming up with Cybermen sounds a bit fan fiction-ish, but I still have high hopes for next week, even if it does look as there are only three Daleks.

Nice that Tennant gets his chance to fight them, anyway.

Looked to me like the Daleks and Cybermen were going to fight each other!

The Derek Acorah bit was amusing in a wishful thinking kind of way. The Trisha bit had already been done before in Shaun of the Dead (though it could have been a homage, considering Simon Pegg's interest in all things Who).

barfing_pumpkin said:
Looked to me like the Daleks and Cybermen were going to fight each other!

That's probably how they'll get out of it, I can't imagine them getting along for long. "We are the Master Race!" "No, we are the Master Race!"

"We're the Master Race, and so's my wife!" :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist! :D

Doctor Who confidential had some good looking stuff on Torchwood the series, though. And as it's after the watershed, and they were discussing 'taboos' such as nudity, I'm wondering what it's going to be. I expect it's just going to be more gore and 'kissing with tongues' ;)

Why, at all these meeting they show in Doctor Who Confidential, is there always heaps of food and drink on the tables????

That's probably how they'll get out of it, I can't imagine them getting along for long. "We are the Master Race!" "No, we are the Master Race!"

What's always struck as interesting about the Doctor is that no-one - not even those of a conserative bent - has any problems in accepting him as a pinko-liberal superhero. Though occasionally - and regretfully - ruthless, he has strong pacifist tendencies, is anti-authoritarian, and - in his current incarnation - makes no secret of his love for diversity and culture. This is compounded by the fact that his major conficts - in the modern series, at least - have seen him go up against nazis (Daleks), lowbrow assimilationists (Cybermen), religious fundamentalists (Daleks again) and devil-may-care capitalists (the Slitheen mob).

I liked the Doctor's 3D glasses, incidentally. Anyone know what he needed them for?

barfing_pumpkin said:

What's always struck as interesting about the Doctor is that no-one - not even those of a conserative bent - has any problems in accepting him as a pinko-liberal superhero. Though occasionally - and regretfully - ruthless, he has strong pacifist tendencies, is anti-authoritarian, and - in his current incarnation - makes no secret of his love for diversity and culture. This is compounded by the fact that his major conficts - in the modern series, at least - have seen him go up against nazis (Daleks), lowbrow assimilationists (Cybermen), religious fundamentalists (Daleks again) and devil-may-care capitalists (the Slitheen mob).
I'm afraid, young Pumpkin, you will have to make allowances for the fact that the first episode of Doctor Who (the original series), took place only 18 years after the end of World War II. So the memory of what the Nazis and fascists were like was still very fresh, traumatic even.

The Japanese had Godzilla, we had the Daleks and the Americans had Pod People. ;)

That's true - but it's unusual (and pretty good, I think) that the hero of the series had never been a jutting-jaw asskicker, or a can-do cleverclogs, but someone who (ho-ho) had more in common with hippyish counterculture than perhaps many people - especially those who would have normally despised such things (and there were a lot more of that sort about in the 1960s than today) - would have thought acceptable in a prime-time superhero.

Back