• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

George_millett said:
You know Raven there is no need to sugar the pill. Go on tell us what you really think. :lol:

I hadn't even hit my stride. I didn't mention the gods-awful Doctor Who Superstar series ending with Martha.

Extra barf. And criminal waste of an excellent Master. I mean - the Master being defeated by the Power of Positive Thinking. Who wrote that? L. Ron Hubbard???

And Martha's doe-eyed adoration for the Whole. Damn. Series.

Put me right off my Saturday night tea, it did.

Ravenstone said:
George_millett said:
You know Raven there is no need to sugar the pill. Go on tell us what you really think. :lol:

I hadn't even hit my stride. I didn't mention the gods-awful Doctor Who Superstar series ending with Martha.

Extra barf. And criminal waste of an excellent Master. I mean - the Master being defeated by the Power of Positive Thinking. Who wrote that? L. Ron Hubbard???

And Martha's doe-eyed adoration for the Whole. Damn. Series.

Put me right off my Saturday night tea, it did.

I am so in agreement with you. Each episode was more OTT and 'deus ex machina' than the last.

I didn't like the Martha eps - she was a bit wishy washy. I sort of liked donna though.
Like I said, RTD was frustrating but when he was good he was very good. I think i've enjoyed about five episodes by Moffatt in the new run.

I like Donna, she stood up to the Doctor, and was very much in the mold of Liz Shaw, rather than the dew-eyed-in-love-with-the-Doctor of some companions!

I actually thought they's brought in Donna to kill the franchise for some reason. I think I've made it pretty clear what I thought of Pond and this new Doctor just doesn't do anything IMO.

47Forteans said:
I like Donna, she stood up to the Doctor, and was very much in the mold of Liz Shaw, rather than the dew-eyed-in-love-with-the-Doctor of some companions!

I liked Donna. Far more of a good mate, which is exactly what the Doctor needs. Not some doe-eyed slip who only gets feisty when there's female competition.

Ravenstone said:
47Forteans said:

I liked Donna. Far more of a good mate, which is exactly what the Doctor needs. Not some doe-eyed slip who only gets feisty when there's female competition.

You'd want someone who isn't going to fall over and hurt their ankle at the first sign of trouble, someone who would argue that the Doctor was wrong (Adelaide Brooks comes to mind) and keep him in line.

I want Pond wiped from my memory. And Rory - I can't seem to remember him reacting to anything or indeed eliciting any kind of human response from me.

It can't all be rubbish make up and wobbly sets (though the wobbly sets haven't been seen since the late sixties!)...

It'd be nice if they brought Susan back for the 50th anniversary!

Watched the mini-sode and the trailer. :rofl:

Yes. Susan back for the Fiftieth anniversary! :yeay:

I suppose if we're getting into the 'science of' stuff, there's no reason that something that evolved from a reptile should have boobies.

They may not be actual boobies...perhaps they're humps, much like a camel's humps? :)

I think the reason the female Silurians have breasts is that they're played by human women actresses.

Was that a reference to At the Earth's Core in the minisode? Looking forward to this one already, Richard E. Grant looks excellent value ("I didn't say who to!")

Pietro_Mercurios said:

Susan would have to come back! The Doctor did say that he'd come back for her!

Never mind the boobs, who knew Silurians had a Welsh accent?

And a Sontaran butler is genius :D

TheSilurians looked 100% clooler in 1970 and the Sontarans looked 100% clooler in 1974. Last season was so badly written and concived that i allmost switched off, something i havent done since the McCoy days.

The new silurian faces bug me, too. We've seen all these monsters before. Just make cheap new ones, beeb! It's how you film them, not how well they're made.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
47Forteans said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

Susan would have to come back! The Doctor did say that he'd come back for her!
She made a guest appearance in, The Five Doctors, almost thirty years ago.

Yes, but the 50th episode could explain what happened after she was left behind, whereas The Five Doctors didn't explain much more about her history...

So disappointing to hear mention of snowmen, and then find that they're not Yeti! Instead, we get some Tim Burton/Michael Keaton ripoff.

I've been watching the E-Space Trilogy, the series which - yikes! - introduced Adric. He's so offputting in the first story, Full Circle, that you can barely believe someone thought it was a good idea to have him join, and the Tom Baker Doc seems as if he's only just tolerating him throughout.

But State of Decay, the vampire one, is a lot of fun although we never see anyone get fangs in their neck, must be the Terrence Dicks effect, he wrote it and it has some amusing exchanges in spite of all the money going on the models.

Lastly, Warrior's Gate was the one which nobody understood because it was so impenetrable, giving it another go it's a bit clearer, but not exactly family friendly, not because it's violent but because it would prompt a lot of questions poor old dad couldn't answer. Got rid of K9 and Romana, too, which was a shame for more reasons than one.

State of Decay has a bizarre resemblance to a lot fo pop video s of that era... something about characters advancing in dodgy historical costumes o_O

I probably like Warriors Gate the best of those 3 stories... but yeah, the story isn;t always that linear.

Warrior's Gate was a hard sci-fi story which I'm not convinced suited the series, but it's interesting all the same. Written by Stephen Gallagher, the horror and thriller novelist, some might remember his Chimera getting adapted in the 90s (the one with the genetically engineered apeman on the loose in the British countryside).

Yeah, great line, I like the way the Doc knowingly repeats it back at the lionmen when the tables are turned.

Incidentally, I've been watching season 3 of US sitcom Community and there's a long running UK TV series two of the characters have been recently obsessed with, something called Inspector Spacetime. Hmm, sounds familiar!

Doctor Who Christmas special: Jenna Louise-Coleman interview
Despite already having meaty parts in two soap operas under her belt, Jenna-Louise Coleman humbly decided she’d profit from more training and left Britain for Los Angeles. Well, the gamble paid off … Say hello to Doctor Who’s new companion

[Long article]

'Doctor Who, The Snowmen' will be broadcast on BBC One on Christmas Day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... rview.html

Back