• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

The DW Afterparty was well worth it for Sarah Sutton's contribution.

THIS IS THE COMPOSITE FACE OF ALL 13 DOCTORS

No, this isn’t the face of some F.B.I. most wanted, or distant inbred relation of royalty, or the latest anodyne pop star, no, this is the “real face” of Doctor Who as created by scientists at the University of Aberdeen Face Laboratory, in Scotland.

By using “face averaging” technology, scientists merged images of all of the thirteen actors who have played Doctor Who into one face. According to the Daily Mirror, David Robertson, from the Face Lab said:

• “It’s interesting that the face we have developed is not dominated by the features of any one of the actors to have played The Doctor.

“Rather it represents a combination of the averaged features of each actor to have taken on the role.”
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/doct ... 13_doctors

Aww, that was quite sad actually, and not only because I'm really going to miss Matt Smith. Nice cameo at the end (no spoilers). It was like a Christmas fairy tale, not as good as the anniversary one, but a sweet send-off for a great Doctor. A little jarring to see him get so old, mind you.

gncxx said:
..a sweet send-off for a great Doctor. A little jarring to see him get so old, mind you.
Wait till you have to live it for yourself!

At least he got to keep his teenage figure, despite the walking stick!

(I might try using my walking stick more, and see if I can convince reality that I'm just heading for regeneration rather than the other option...!)

rynner2 said:
gncxx said:
..a sweet send-off for a great Doctor. A little jarring to see him get so old, mind you.
Wait till you have to live it for yourself!

At least he got to keep his teenage figure, despite the walking stick!

(I might try using my walking stick more, and see if I can convince reality that I'm just heading for regeneration rather than the other option...!)

You could always use a Dalek eye stalk, like the Doctor had at the beginning of the ep?

Incidentally, I'm surprised IE's spellchecker doesn't recognise the word Dalek!

Just been shown here. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite feeling that the resolution to the regeneration problem (and the resolution to the conflict) were a bit cheap.

I mean, I expected it to be a cheat, but it was bit...meh.

Still, a lot of fun. And interesting how they lampshaded Matt's hair problem (while dodging around the other hair problem, I expect there are some hilarious outtakes of that scene).

Also, the ageing effects on Smith did seem a bit suggestive of Hartnell. No doubt deliberately, and a nice touch. He never did seem to get croaky old man right, though.

Looking forward to Capaldi's first proper go. It sounds like he's keeping the regimental accent, presumably explained away as a side effect of having Amy around so much early on in the 11th.

Maybe the bucks fizz had gone to my head by that point, but I really had no idea what the plot of most of the episode was. :?

It was vaguely amusing I suppose.

I have to agree with 1WB - the plot was confusing - even for someone who was 100% sober and knew who all the characters were.

But it did resolve some of the long-term plot lines -
flipside - one can only wonder where does Dr Who go from here ?

As ever we didn't know what the hell was going on, despite an unusual sobriety. I long for the days of a simple thwarted alien invasion.
It seems to me that Moffat values style and atmosphere over actual plot, which is presumably what appeals to the young fans, the Twilight crowd if you will.

I suppose you really had to be paying attention for the whole of Smith's run because there were a lot of plot threads tied up. Though I wondered if Clara was going to blab the real name of the Doctor since she'd read it in that book, but er, she didn't. Anyway, it provided a fairly clean break for the introduction of Capaldi.

For me, not that I've come to expect much from the Christmas specials, this was a bit of whimper episode for "The Fall of the Eleventh". Totally agree that there was too many blink and you'll miss the answers to the questions you've been asking for three years, EG..biggest cliff hangar of Matt Smith's first season answered. Why the TARDIS blew up!! It was all to neatly wrapped up in time and with a big Chrissmassy bow plonked on top. For no reason other than Clara was cooking turkey and the town could've been called Halloween...it made no real difference.

And the actually regeneration scene was a bit on the "small" side but then given how regenerations have been over used these last couple of years maybe a lack of blasting yellow energy from hands and head was becoming old hat.

I liked Smith's Doctor more than Tennants, he was more fun!

And then those first moments of Capaldi...new kidneys and all!!!

And off we go again....

I liked it, mind you, on Christmas day I was kissed as a punt so I liked everything! I'll give it another watch.

Terribly sad to see Matt Smith go.

(Even sadder to see Moffat stay.)

:roll:

For all the supposed tying-up of loose(ish) ends, I can't help thinking that it's been a case of make-it-up-as-you-go-along. When we first saw the crack in Amy's wall, was it really intended to be a portal for the Time Lords 3 seasons later?

Other questions went totally unanswered. After several appearances, who exactly are the Silence? I know we've had it sort-of explained (though I've forgotten anyway), but by the end, were they friend, foe or something else?

As for Weeping Angels... boy have they outstayed their welcome. They were great for Blink, successively worse after that.

Another thing - will the professional astronomers among you explain how a planet - any planet - can have a point where the sun rises for no more than a few minutes every day? Some very contrived wobbling of the axis required there.

It used to be the sets that were shaky, but now it's the plots, I fear.

That said, I still enjoyed it after a fashion, but these days, they try to cram so much clever(!) detail in that we're swamped, overloaded with characters and storylines which we never get to explore.

Bring back Paul McGann!

Spot on, Peripart - particularly this:

It used to be the sets that were shaky, but now it's the plots, I fear.

Peripart said:
Another thing - will the professional astronomers among you explain how a planet - any planet - can have a point where the sun rises for no more than a few minutes every day? Some very contrived wobbling of the axis required there.
No wobble required! It happens in polar regions on Earth, near the Solstices, just before the sun disappears for up to six months. (Or, after it reappears after months of darkness.)

But if this occurs every day of the year, a more complex theory may have to be provided! ;)

Could be tidally locked and they're just on the dark side enough that a little 'daily' wobble tips it over.

In which case the 'day' side should be well cooked and god only knows what that would do to the wind (and I don't mean from those brussels sprouts) :lol: or the rest of the weather.

It feels to me like they were just so desperate to resolve the 13 regenerations issue that they have just rushed it and cut corners. Oh, let's have one Doctor just regenerate as himself, and then lets add in a missed one from earlier in the timeline... and then we can solve the 13 problem.

Maybe it was writer's ego just wanting to be the ones to reset the clock for another 13... Probably more likely just the ADD that affects all entertainment mediums these days.

The Anniversary show brought in a really interesting new idea - the fact that Gallifrey is out there somewhere. I thought to myself that is a nice new idea to have running along in the background for a few seasons. Various clues and signposts in episodes...

But no, the very next episode Gallifrey reappears and boom that storyline is done and dusted before it has even had time to be considered.

Sadly for me, like Star Wars, Dr Who is something that will always be better as a childhood memory. I guess it is nice to have new stuff to watch and it occasionally hits the mark and reminds you why you loved it originally and I am sure kids love it, but to adult eyes it is just... not really very good :(

rynner2 said:
Peripart said:
No wobble required! It happens in polar regions on Earth, near the Solstices, just before the sun disappears for up to six months. (Or, after it reappears after months of darkness.)

But if this occurs every day of the year, a more complex theory may have to be provided! ;)

It looked to me like everything was made of wood. So without light, how did the trees grow?
I thought this episode was a bit messy and rushed in the edit and threw up more problems than solutions. I'd almost forgotten the crack in the wall and Silence Will Fall and it seems that the script now has these portentious statements then conveniently wriggles around them by use of a Semantic Screwdriver.

I'm glad that Smith has gone - it was really noticeable in The Day of the Doctor how Tennant acted him off the screen.

OneWingedBird said:
Could be tidally locked and they're just on the dark side enough that a little 'daily' wobble tips it over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libration

But it would have to be a very complicated arrangement, and probably not a very nice place to live anyway.

Maybe there is a large asteroid between the sun and the planet, an asteroid shaped like a flat disc, and it slowly rotates like a spinning coin, briefly allowing full sun then quickly blocking it again.

(Or maybe there is a giant venetian blind, or perhaps even a giant blind venetian...)

Moffat and his science advisers probably spent months working out the science and astrophysics.

:lol:

Well I'm blowed! Gerald Harper is still alive.

FOfeRcY.jpg

Filming in Cardiff (not my pic).

Back