• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I thought this was the episode where our new Doctor hit his stride. His personality seems to be crystallising now, and I'm very much enjoying it.

The stories are staying on the darker side, and I'd imagine that mummy featuring in a fair few nightmares last night.

Still winning for me!

Yeah, it really felt like a proper Doctor Who episode last night, OK, some debt to Horror Express, but it was a traditional plot which suited the latest Doc's personality (though Moffat says he's not writing the character any differently from when Matt Smith was there).

Liked Frank Skinner, he was basically himself only a little more mysterious, but I bet he was hoping the script would go the other way when the Doc asked him if he wanted to stay on.

Very relieved about Clara still sticking around, well, if the rumours are true she's off at Christmas but at least she's with the show till the end of the year. Also, her 1920s get up... (pulls at collar and steam comes out).

I thought this was the episode where our new Doctor hit his stride. His personality seems to be crystallising now, and I'm very much enjoying it.

Totally, I thought it was the first cracking episode we've had this season, none of the others have been dire but none have been great either.

Definitely sounding like Tom Baker for a few bits there too... I think Capaldi has been practicing! :D

Also actually thought this Doctor was a smoker for a few seconds there, or at least someone who would offer them... nice little surprise.

btw, wasn't there a reference to the tardis phone earlier this season?

Just wondering if there's a clue there in who he gave the number out to?

Edit: The bods over on Gallifrey Base say it was the woman in the shop who may or may not have been Missy.

But seriously, from a physics point of view was it necessary to have the carriages snaking their way through a solar system? The momentum that would apply to carriages moving on a track on Earth is irrelevant when weightlessness of linked carriages are hurtling through space.
Also. Jelly Babies are a gateway to high-sugar products which are not only turning our children to oversweet cereals and confections but also into obese jelly-like facsimiles of those the Doctor presented to a doomed fellow traveller.

And the mummy. FFS. They obviously only made it a soldier because Who has a beef about them for some reason this series. Despite having worked alongside UNIT forever when I was growing up.

jimv1 said:
But seriously, from a physics point of view was it necessary to have the carriages snaking their way through a solar system? The momentum that would apply to carriages moving on a track on Earth is irrelevant when weightlessness of linked carriages are hurtling through space.
But were they? Since the whole thing was supposed to be a lab-based experiment, where was the need for a real train at all? ;)

Also. Jelly Babies are a gateway to high-sugar products which are not only turning our children to oversweet cereals and confections but also into obese jelly-like facsimiles of those the Doctor presented to a doomed fellow traveller.
Sarah Millikan (on TV tonight) was told by a friend that sugar is a preservative.
"Oh good!" she replied, "I'll live forever!"

. . . . :D

jimv1 said:

And the mummy. FFS. They obviously only made it a soldier because Who has a beef about them for some reason this series. Despite having worked alongside UNIT forever when I was growing up.
But, this incarnation of the Doctor is over a thousand years older than the ones who worked alongside UNIT and the other side of the Dalek v Timelord War.

Remembered what this episode reminded me of in its latter stages: Blaine the Mono in Stephen King's The Dark Tower, the big cliffhanger at the end of The Waste Lands with the insane talking train.

Brilliant, very entertaining episode tonight!

I have to say, it reminded me very much of an 'It Happened To Me' from the FTMB - where someone out walking late one night sees a 2D creature lolloping along the road. When it sees him, it lollops towards him... perhaps someone could find that thread?

Mythopoeika said:
Brilliant, very entertaining episode tonight!
Seconded!

Possibly one of the best ever.

But I may have to go and read all the reviews, and then watch it again, before I decide!

(I think small models of the Tardis might sell well this Christmas! ;) )

Good thing it wasn't a 3D episode, or it wouldn't have succeeded. I think with this and the previous ep this season has hit its stride, the tiny Tardis was a great idea and I really liked the wobbly baddies, great special effects. Also nice to see a story where the aliens don't want to be understood, they want to kill us! OK, nice is probably the wrong word.

Anyone think, hey, Jason Statham's in it tonight!? Jumanji next week, apparently.

I loved this episode! Absolutely what the Doctor is all about. Time and relative dimensions in space.
I loved the way the 2D 'monsters' tried to figure out our 3D dimension and in attempting to adapt showed their intent but also their limitations.

Excellent piece of Sci-fi from paper to the screen.
All the guest characters were drawn well in this episode too.

Best Who in years.

Mythopoeika said:
I have to say, it reminded me very much of an 'It Happened To Me' from the FTMB - where someone out walking late one night sees a 2D creature lolloping along the road. When it sees him, it lollops towards him... perhaps someone could find that thread?

The 8th post down on page 1 of Black Stick Men...one of my personal favourite threads.

EDIT: Really liked tonight's monsters...

I thought they already did.

Came in after the TARDIS had shrunk, so missed the setup. I'll see what happened on the repeat tonight.

And I suppose we now know (or at least think we know) who gave Clara the TARDIS phone number.

Next week looks good, too. Although no sign of Courtney on the school outing.

Moooksta said:
Mythopoeika said:

The 8th post down on page 1 of Black Stick Men...one of my personal favourite threads.

Thanks, Mooks!
Yes, I just found it a minute ago myself.
See what I mean about the 'lolloping' similarity?

I didn't make the connection Mytho but now I've read the story again the description of how the thing in the IHTM thread moved and tonight's creatures moved is similar.

Lolloping, aside from being a grand word, makes sense though..the sudden weight of three dimensions being a new experience for a 2D being. Fictional or not.

Did anyone catch the name The Doctor gave them before sending them back.

I bought these speakers to hear television better.

"The Boneless". Yep, five minutes with the TIVO, replaying that one bit. Boneless.

I loved it. Absolutely marvellous.

Moooksta said:
Mythopoeika said:

Interesting! I can't comment on the most recent Doctor Who because I've managed to miss every new episode aside from the first, but this isn't the only time there's been something that could have come from this board...

Check this out - from the "what were your erroneous childhood beliefs" thread: http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 614#621614

When I was around five or six, I had a theory that the statues (of angels, weeping women and so on) in the local cemetery were actually the deceased people. They lived on at a different, Heavenly vibration to us so they seemed immobile and silent when, in fact, they were moving around and talking at their own speed in the afterlife. Just SOMETIMES they would catch sight of us driving past, because a car went much faster than a pedestrian and the speed somehow made us visible to them for a second, as if WE were ghosts. I was known at infant school for my "vivid imagination" and I'm still a bit weird . . .

Doesn't that sound eerily like the "weeping angels" motif? The date of that post is before the Doctor Who storyline ever turned up, so I've often wondered if one of the writers hadn't been cruising this message board for inspiration.

(BTW, the original poster of the above is now listed as "anonymous", so I've no idea if they're still around.)

5 stars from the Telegraph:

Doctor Who, review, Flatline: 'a cleverly creepy premise'
This eerie latest episode or Doctor Who, set in a Bristol council estate, was one of the very best since the 2005 reboot, writes Michael Hogan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... tline.html

Doctor Who recap: series 34, episode 9 – Flatline
With its dimensionally challenged Tardis and Bristol setting, this week’s episode was funny and scary, but mostly it was very, very strange

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... 9-flatline

I've often wondered if one of the writers hadn't been cruising this message board for inspiration.

The one thing that always sticks in my mind is that we had a conversation here a few years back about how there's an unwritten rule in cinema and television that the moon is never seen during the day time.

Not that long afterwards there was the story with the silence things where the Doctor wears a stetson, and we get a nice clear blue sky with the moon visible... in fact I think they've done the daytime moon thing a few times now, including the awful chicken episode.

I'm willing to bet one of the Who writers looks in here from time to time.

Mythopoeika said:
I'm willing to bet one of the Who writers looks in here from time to time.
Well, if that's so, let me mention that there are good scientific reasons why 2-dimensional beings can't exist, but Flatline was such good entertainment we were prepared to suspend our disbelief! ;)

As for the 'daytime moon' thing, anyone with eyes knows the moon is often seen in daytime. About 50% of the time, in fact! Was there really ever such an unwritten rule? For some time now cameramen awaiting kick-off in some televised game will often fill in time by zooming in on a day time moon, allowing the commentator to waffle on about the clear skies at Nonsuch stadium!

OneWingedBird said:
The one thing that always sticks in my mind is that we had a conversation here a few years back about how there's an unwritten rule in cinema and television that the moon is never seen during the day time.

Not that long afterwards there was the story with the silence things where the Doctor wears a stetson, and we get a nice clear blue sky with the moon visible... in fact I think they've done the daytime moon thing a few times now, including the awful chicken episode.

Oh, yes. I remember that very prominent daytime moon! Huh! Well, the writers could do worse than hang around here looking for good ideas. :)

Apparently last night's was the 250th story! Good one for an anniversary.

Back