• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Mythopoeika said:
I'm willing to bet one of the Who writers looks in here from time to time.
I know for a fact some of them read FT. I mean, apart from Paul Cornell, who isn't writing for them at the moment, I'm pretty sure Gatiss has mentioned reading it.

Did anyone notice the Doctor's hair change halfway through "Flatline" ?

This is from Last Jelly Baby which I thought I'd share in case you did.

I went to a convention today and attended Jenna Coleman's panel and I thought you'd like this funny anecdote about Peter she told us.

The Doctor Who crew were filming late at night at an abandoned railway station (probably "Flatline") and had about 15 minutes left to shoot and they couldn't find Peter (he has a habit of wandering away from the set).

Peter finally showed up on set but he was completely soaking wet. The make up department were furious.

The reason for that was he was wandering around the station and saw a red button and pressed it.

It turned out to be a shower.
:lol:

I also read last week it was Capaldi's idea to take out the cigarette box in "The Mummy on the Orient Express" and offer a jelly baby. Capaldi is such a fan of the show I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't the person that came up with "Are you my mummy?" in the same episode.

Well, The Doctor has resolved so many episodes by waving his Sonic Pez Dispenser, a new prop is welcome. However, sugar is almost as bad as smoking. He's setting a bad example... unless he's going to meet the Honey Monster later on and sort it out.

Finally caught up with the latest episode (loved it). I thought it was rather Banksy inspired - set in Bristol (it didn't need to be for the story, Bristol is the home of Banksy) and the figures painted in the tunnel were very Banksy like, plus the whole graffiti theme. I almost wondered if someone had mused about Banksy's anonymity and thought what if it wasn't a human making those images, maybe they were aliens pretending to be graffiti?

Bent over backwards to give us a happy ending, but tonight's episode was novel enough and even featured the return to the airwaves of Vrillon of the Ashtar Galactic Command, well, it sounded like him overdubbing the wee girl. Nice mention of the Tunguska 'splosion too - what was the Brazilian one the Doc was on about, though? A great looking design for this ep, if nothing else.

Start of the two-part grand finale next week! The asthmatic one from the anniversary special is back, as well as the Cybermen!

Well, how was it for you? Fair to middling, I thought. But I find it hard to take very seriously when there are too many kids in it. It might have better with just Mave, and leave the rest of Coal Hill School out of it.

A thought that occurred to me was that Nelson's navy cut down huge numbers of trees to build England's 'Wooden Walls', and I was expecting some reference to that, but no...

Again, I wait for the reviews to see what I've missed!

I enjoyed it, although it doesn't really stand up to careful analysis. I thought the girl playing Maeve was good.

As for next week, UNIT, Cybermen, Clara not being real (allegedly)...hope it doesn't ruin what's been an otherwise enjoyable season.

I thought last night's was a non-episode with a non-story.

Also PC back in 'nasty' mode just when I thought he'd got a good balance on being alien and out there without necessarily being unpleasant about it.

I enjoyed it. The Doctor should do school trips more often. :lol:

Made me want to watch a Sarah Jane Adventure, after. The Eternity Trap, being suitable Hallowe'en fare.

rynner2 said:
Well, how was it for you? Fair to middling, I thought. But I find it hard to take very seriously when there are too many kids in it. It might have better with just Mave, and leave the rest of Coal Hill School out of it.

I have to agree. Some of those kids can't act.
Story's premise was just wacky.

This is the third episode in a row that the Doctor "doesn't know" who or what is going on. He didn't know who is behind the mummy train, who the inter-dimensional beings are, and initially, why the forest suddenly appeared. He even said to Clara that people will forget the forest, like they forgot the last crisis (Battle Of Canary Wharf?).
Even in the trailer for next week, he doesn't seem to recognise Missy, although this maybe for trailer/spoiler purposes.
Maybe this is an in-joke on Capaldi's age/this Doctor's grumpiness, or maybe a re-boot?

Anome_ said:
I enjoyed it, although it doesn't really stand up to careful analysis. I thought the girl playing Maeve was good.

As for next week, UNIT, Cybermen, Clara not being real (allegedly)...hope it doesn't ruin what's been an otherwise enjoyable season.
Agreed, and I think that the worst thing about it was the preview of next week's episode - did it really say "the finale begins" or something similar? I'd hoped that we'd sorted out the whole "Clara's not real" nonsense in the otherwise excellent 50th anniversary special, so to bring it up again seems a bit excessive.

Whatever else the finale holds (and as a resolution to another season-long "arc", it's bound to be irritating!), I'm still leaning towards the idea that Missy is the Master.

Oh, and by the way, it's "Maebh"!

He even said to Clara that people will forget the forest, like they forgot the last crisis (Battle Of Canary Wharf?).

That kind of goes back to the start of Moffat's run and is never really explained, Amy didn't recognise daleks or cyberman, so no recollection of Canary Wharf or any of the other high profile dalek/cyberman invasions.

I thought they did explain the mass forgetfulness, but appropriately I can't remember what the explanation was.

Peripart said:
Oh, and by the way, it's "Maebh"!
I actually saw that in the credits, but the subtitles on the ABC spelled it "Maeve", which is also a cromulent spelling of the name. When I wrote that, I couldn't remember the precise spelling from the credits, and IMDB wasn't updated yet, so I went with the more common "Anglicised" version.

Niamh = "Neve"
Maebh = "Maeve"
Ceilidh = "Caylee"

I'd love to know how many people are actually learning Gaelic. I mean, I used to suspect that Welsh was largely made up spontaneously, until I realised that it had fairly simple rules of spelling and pronunciation. I can't believe that Gaelic has any such conventions at all.

Thread hijack aside, it was a fairly good episode all round, except that the explanation seemed a bit rushed and 'squeezed-in'. I mean, who/what were the 'glow-worms' anyway? I don't recall any speculation as to classification or origin. Also, the thoroughly pointless 'missing sister' storyline?

It was almost as though the writer died just before finishing the episiode, and they just ran with what they had.

I was also quite surprised that a 'grand finale' is happening this soon :?

The Telegraph reviewer knew it was Maebh, but I'd already posted, using Mave, before I read the review!

All the Celtic languages seem to use more letters than a word really requires. On the whole English is simpler, which may partly account for its worldwide success.

(Although English does have some tricky words - write down the words ending in -ough, and see how many of them rhyme!)

rynner2 said:
(Although English does have some tricky words - write down the words ending in -ough, and see how many of them rhyme!)
There was an old lady from Slough
Who once had a terrible cough
She sounded quite rough
But battled on through
I think she is better now, though.

Anyway, yeah - not quite up to the last couple of weeks, but not bad for all that.

I think we were supposed to be forgiving of last week's because it was like a fairy tale, using fable logic.

Sean Pertwee's Halloween costume makes me think that a 12 and 3 cross over story could be a real possibility.

Moooksta said:
Sean Pertwee's Halloween costume makes me think that a 12 and 3 cross over story could be a real possibility.

Dear Bob! He's the spit of him.

It's that hair.
Otherwise, Sean doesn't look much like his dad.

I disagree. Watching Gotham, at times he looks just like his Dad.

Tonight's episode, classic line:

"How do you do that with your eyes? It's like they inflate".

:lol:

Well, they had a few options, but I don't see it really being any of the others that have been rumoured.

I was kind of hoping it was something else, though. And I do have some problems with the way it played out, which I think I'll wait until more people have had a chance to see it before expanding upon.

Cracking episode tonight, Grommit! That'll have the kids hiding behind the sofa, and then having nightmares for weeks after! It could have traumatised a whole generation. :shock:

But it did pose some heavy questions for grown-ups too.

Very impressive episode. :yeay:

Back