• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I finally got to see David Tennant’s second episode which turned out to be a “ wild ride “.

The producers used every known CGI trick to give the viewer that wide ride for example people stretching and contracting.
Doctor Who Unleashed behind the scenes is really interesting. Some of the things you’d think were CGI were real.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001t43c

It won’t let me link directly.
IMG_3506.jpeg

So what did we think? I’m really happy the door has been left open but some people aren’t happy.
There are some people who are never happy. I thoroughly enjoyed it. So many funny, scary, surprising moments. Ncuti looks like he's gonna be a lot of fun too. Looking forward to 5.55 pm on Christmas Day......

My last fav Dr.Who was DT but now he has turned gay/bi/greedy with liking HOT Isaac Newton who is of a different colour BUT this could be a Multiverse thing and we got to get with the times but 20 years ago it was more about the Aliens and less about us nuggerts... the new doctor should of been Idris Elba....a ratings winner

I'd guess they're leaving DT in in case Ncuti proves another disaster. Err, does anyone know why he isn't wearing trousers?

There are some people who are never happy.
Precisely so. There are those who only approve of one selection of episodes from 1974 and anything else is purple apoplexy-inducing heresy, like some obscure 14th century Belgian sect.

I'm just wondering whether they'll pre-emptively lose their minds about a camp, black Doctor played by a refugee or if they'll - you know - actually give him a chance first?

Anyhoo... into TV Reviewer mode.

I really, really enjoyed last night's episode, digs at social media, antivaxx, blaming telly for social ills and some brilliantly creepy shit in the middle. RTD can tell a story, pitch perfect performances and a satisfying pay-off. And they didn't mention the trousers thing which is a really neat touch.

I'm just wondering whether they'll pre-emptively lose their minds about a camp, black Doctor played by a refugee or if they'll - you know - actually give him a chance first?
I made that mistake with Jodie Whittaker and gave her the benefit of the doubt and look how that turned out. And isn’t ‘a camp, black Doctor played by a refugee’ bringing politics and gender right to the front now?

I think another problem is that some fans are very proprietorial over their chosen 'brand'. They seem to think that as they have invested so much time, emotion and (often) money then they get a place at the writing table, casting etc.

I made that mistake with Jodie Whittaker and gave her the benefit of the doubt and look how that turned out.
See I blame Chibnal for at least 75% of that. She's a really good actress, badly served by scripts and character development (if she was miscast in the first place is a separate issue, but the showrunning would have hampered anyone). As I said a few days ago ^ this affected Smith and Capaldi as well, the latter being probably the most capable actor of the reboot era but still hobbled by poor writing.

I’ve been watching the series since the very first episode and each Doctor has strengths and weaknesses. The difference now is the obssession of gender traits and pronouns. The Doctor is supposed to be above all that having dealt with creatures from the whole of time and space.
I missed out Flux, came back for Tennant and now I’m out.

I think another problem is that some fans are very proprietorial over their chosen 'brand'. They seem to think that as they have invested so much time, emotion and (often) money then they get a place at the writing table, casting etc.
Funny. I think the problem is the writers and producers are very proprietorial in their views on society and gender constructs and try to cram them in at every given opportunity.

Funny. I think the problem is the writers and producers are very proprietorial in their views on society and gender constructs and try to cram them in at every given opportunity.
Thing is writers and producers have every right to be proprietorial over their ... uh ... product. They might get it wrong (in some peoples eyes) and they might respond to criticism - but it is up to them. If the viewer doesn't like it then they can always stop watching - hit them in the pocket. But the writer is ultimately the owner.
My real sadness (not anger) is when a children's fantasy has to become more 'real world', 'darker' or just changed to suit the latest trend in awareness. Instead of changing the original, write your own damn world. As far as I can see Game of Thrones was always intended for adults. It was dark, hard-core Tolkien. Then someone thought "Hey - we can use Tolkien but make it more dark and gritty as Game of Thrones! That is popular these days!"

Thing is writers and producers have every right to be proprietorial over their ... uh ... product. They might get it wrong (in some peoples eyes) and they might respond to criticism - but it is up to them. If the viewer doesn't like it then they can always stop watching - hit them in the pocket. But the writer is ultimately the owner.
Unfortunately I can’t hit them in the pocket. Thanks to the licensing system, I HAVE to pay for this.

You have to pay for a TV license - watch something else. I pay my TV license but to use a TV ... not watch the BBC.
Sure, the BBC are 'funding' Dr. Who ... but a drop in viewer popularity will force change still.

Frankly, there's nothing that has really appealed to me on any 'terrestrial' channel. Uncanny interest me ... for a bit.
I return to my large collection of VHS/DVDs and You Tube.

Frankly, there's nothing that has really appealed to me on any 'terrestrial' channel. Uncanny interest me ... for a bit.
I return to my large collection of VHS/DVDs and You Tube.
I pay for YouTube so I miss out on the annoying American adverts plus get my own music app like Spotify but I still like BBC for Radio 3/Radio 4 Plus and Radio Newcastle.

I find 90% of the BBC's current output execrable, but I pay the licence fee for the 10% I enjoy, or can watch without wincing. Most of the stuff on other channels is as bad or worse.

Luckily, I can take the approach to DW, a series that I have always loved throughout its ups and downs, that it is moving with the times, just as it has always done.

But if it has moved away from what you want it to be, the best thing you can do is just stop watching it. As Tegan's Auntie Vanessa told her "when you stop enjoying it, give it up".

And if the BBC has so little else to offer you, you can even stop paying for your licence fee. It is an option. I know some people who have done that and they didn't die.

On reflection, I‘m actually bristling against this remark which seems to target a whole section of society without any understanding of the parameters which we lived in at the time. I Loved the Buzzcocks. I loved Magazine. I loved Two Tone and Rock against Racism. Even to the point I could see Billy Bragg as an insufferable hypocritical twat. They were gay as fuck and black as night but it didn’t matter. The music was sublime and we loved it all as the heartbeat of our generation, accepted without predjudice. I will not tolerate a snide assertion that I’ll somehow ’pre-emptively lose my mind’ now.
Sorry, we’re not all The Major from Fawlty Towers. We’ve all lived a life and assumptions of those lives, like all assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

We just want good TV.

I made that mistake with Jodie Whittaker and gave her the benefit of the doubt and look how that turned out. And isn’t ‘a camp, black Doctor played by a refugee’ bringing politics and gender right to the front now?

Not in my opinion - it's The Doctor.

Why can't The Doctor be played by any actor of any age/background/whatever as long as they can be The Doctor and do the job well?

The series has a tradition of casting actors due to their performances, rather than appearance/background. I remember an actor who was cast as a scientist (maybe 10/11th Doctor?), she was a very short person. She wasn't cast as 'a short person' but as a scientist. Her appearance was irrelevant to the part and of no relevance to the script or story. She was a scientist (who was little).

Back