• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

The Toymaker to me seemed similar to the Superman villain Mr Mxyzptlk. He also tended to set things up in the form of a game and would leave if they managed to beat him at the game.
I could handle the bigeneration, the sharing of clothes was a nice touch. Splitting the Tardis in two with a hammer, less so.
I'm not quite sure, in terms of the dialogue and the narrative, why it was felt to be necessary to give Tennant his own TARDIS. It's hardly conducive to his plan of settling down and easing back on all the saving the Universe stuff.

It seems, according to the dialogue of the garden party scene, he has already popped off to Mars with his 'niece' Rose, and also been on a jaunt to Olde New Yorke (I think it was) with Mad Auntie Mel. Presumably nothing untoward happened on either of those trips. They were just pleasant outings.

Maybe the one big difference between the original TARDIS and this rapidly knocked off (literally) copy - is that the original will carry on with its mission of taking the new Doctor 'where he needs to be' (i.e. to times and places where something needs to be sorted out) and the new 'copy' TARDIS knows it doesn't need to worry about all that adventuring stuff now, because the original will be taking care of it all, leaving the retired 14th Doctor to carry on having fun sightseeing trips with his new fam.

Last edited:
I could handle the bigeneration, the sharing of clothes was a nice touch. Splitting the Tardis in two with a hammer, less so.
I think they’re moving away and rebooting the series from sci-fi to fantasy now so canon (and writing scripts that require a degree of logic and intelligence) won’t be a problem anymore. But I’m out anyway.

I just remember him as the Grumpy Doctor/the Angry Doctor.
I'd take a grumpy/angry Doctor over Whittaker's gormless gobsmacked Doctor any day!
As for favourite stories, setting aside the Tom Baker classics, which, let's face it, nothing can touch, here's a vote for The Curse of Fenric. Easily Sylvester McCoy's finest story and genuinely creepy at times. And who could resist Nicholas Parsons playing a Parson?

I'd take a grumpy/angry Doctor over Whittaker's gormless gobsmacked Doctor any day!
As for favourite stories, setting aside the Tom Baker classics, which, let's face it, nothing can touch, here's a vote for The Curse of Fenric. Easily Sylvester McCoy's finest story and genuinely creepy at times. And who could resist Nicholas Parsons playing a Parson?
Nicholas Parsons was a revelation in 'Fenric'. Killed by vampires and left dead in the mud. Bleak. He was the stand-out for me of a very strong cast. The story was nicely directed as well, with great locations and a creepy atmosphere. Famously it was chopped up a bit in the editing process, and consequently it felt a bit of a muddle, plot-wise.

The Toymaker asked the Doctor "Do you like the jigsaw I have made of your life"? This ties in with 14's comment in the CIN sketch, that "Something is messing with cannon".

RTD's comments after the specials have aired, seem to confirm that the Toymaker has messed with the Doctor's life and created the Timeless Child retcon, the bigeneration ability etc. Bringing in the Toymaker to mess with the Doctor's past is a good way to fix/allow the Timeless Child retcon to exist, without specifically criticising Chibnall's changes to cannon.

This review and discussion on the seems to fill in a few more gaps.

I really enjoyed the three specials, and I'm looking forward to Ncuti as 15.

Nicholas Parsons was a revelation in 'Fenric'. Killed by vampires and left dead in the mud. Bleak. He was the stand-out for me of a very strong cast. The story was nicely directed as well, with great locations and a creepy atmosphere. Famously it was chopped up a bit in the editing process, and consequently it felt a bit of a muddle, plot-wise.

I mostly agree with that. There's much to enjoy in Fenric, but it would've benefitted from another 20 minutes injected into the story, so it didn't feel quite so rushed and jumpy.

I mostly agree with that. There's much to enjoy in Fenric, but it would've benefitted from another 20 minutes injected into the story, so it didn't feel quite so rushed and jumpy.
There are two different extended versions. One with an extra six minutes and the other with an extra 12 minutes, this one also has some sections re edited.

I just had a chance to see David Tennant number 3 and the ending was interesting.

But my question is why the new guy stayed in his underwear ?

No-one wants to see Tennant in his underpants. He's far too scrawny...

I just had a chance to see David Tennant number 3 and the ending was interesting.

But my question is why the new guy stayed in his underwear ?
I'm sure he will have found himself some trousers next time we see him, though something tells me we haven't seen the last of those legs.

A young Dr Who fan told me that all of the TV episodes are turned into books one can buy.

This last David Tennant number 3 episode according to my young fan, Dr Who at the end of the episode buys the house we see him in and takes care of Donna’s grandfather.

This supposedly according to the book and Dr Who lives happily in his house.

Yes. Rewatched Fenric last night and Parsons' demise was an extremely dark scene for a Doctor Who story.
Denham Elliot also played a blinder as the pseudo Turing character.
Being set in a parochial little remote English village I thought gave Fenric quite a similar vibe to the classic Pertwee story The Daemons.

Yes. Rewatched Fenric last night and Parsons' demise was an extremely dark scene for a Doctor Who story.
Denham Elliot also played a blinder as the pseudo Turing character.
Being set in a parochial little remote English village I thought gave Fenric quite a similar vibe to the classic Pertwee story The Daemons.
I think the Alan Turing-esque character you refer to was Dr Judson, played by Dinsdale Landen. Yes, he was quite a revelation too, as I only knew him from light comedy roles. He's the only person I've ever heard of the have the name Dinsdale. I am restraining myself here from making any reference to Spiny Norman. Dammit. Failed again.

Well there’s Tim Dinsdale - the famous Loch Ness Monster hunter who took the famous cine footage of an object moving through the loch.

I think the Alan Turing-esque character you refer to was Dr Judson, played by Dinsdale Landen. Yes, he was quite a revelation too, as I only knew him from light comedy roles. He's the only person I've ever heard of the have the name Dinsdale. I am restraining myself here from making any reference to Spiny Norman. Dammit. Failed again.

My apologies - it most certainly was Dinsdale Landen rather than Denholm Elliott (who admittedly does have similar looks).
Oh and never hold back from making any Python references!

No, just checked them out and Dinsdale Landen and Denholm Elliott are only moderately similar in appearance and not close enough to post to the lookalikes thread.
I obviously just got the name wrong!

docwho1.png
docwho2.png

In the U.S., Disney has been unclear about the time and date for the 2023 Christmas Dr Who Special.

I assume in the U.S. it will be on Christmas Day.

Back