• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

rynner said:

But I'm not sure Tennant has the gravitas for the Doctor - he's a bit light-weight and flippant, if you ask me.
Most like Patrick Troughton's Doctor, since Patrick Troughton, I'd say. ;)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Most like Patrick Troughton's Doctor, since Patrick Troughton, I'd say. ;)
Hmmm... When PT was the Doctor, I was very young, and he seemed very old, which supplied the required gravitas for me then.

The Tardisode for next week could have been more exciting...

bigphoot1 said:
Was it just me or was the "background" music in tonight's episode a little too intrusive. I found it hard to make out the dialogue.

I thought it was a great, full-on, high action, swashbuckling soundtrack. Mind you, having said that, I know what you meant about difficulty following the dialogue.

"I just snogged Madame de Pompadour" God, I do so love these scripts!!! :lol:

And the Grand Finale - well - marvellous. Sheer bloody marvellous.

Now, next weeks brings my favourites, so I'm getting ready now for Whovian Overload.

Funny thing, innit - Dr. Who doesn't get snogged for 900 years, then three of 'em come round at once. Typical. :roll:

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Just as long as no one's been tempted to get in contact with the cybermen's 'touchy feelie' side!
I hope not! We've had two episodes on the trot with quite emotional endings, and speaking purely for myself, I'm ready for some mindless Cyber-action. Do you reckon Roger Lloyd-Pack will call the doctor "Dave" by mistake?

I watched last night's episode with a feeling of trepidation - like others, I was a little worried by the apparent repetition of bat-like creatures and now masked robots. That said, I thought it was pretty well done. The robots being a sort of high-tech clockwork made me smile, and the twist with the time-portals, whereby a few seconds on one side could be years on the other, was quite thought-provoking. That the lovestruck doctor could forget this, after asking Mme Pompadour to pick a star, seemed all too plausible. Very sad. And the nice thing about the ending was that the ship's name was only revealed to the viewers. The crew of the Tardis left having no idea why this woman had been targeted.

Still, never mind, Cybermen! I've got "Inferno" on my to-buy list for summer, and it's looking as if next week's story could be set in the same kind of alt-Britain as that tale. I'm not about to quibble and ask how, if the Cybermen were created in an alternative version of 2006, William Hartnell's Doctor met them on the moon at about the same time, after they had travelled from their home planet, Mondas, Eart's twin. No, I won't quibble. Yet. Maybe after I've watched next week's show...

First one I've missed of this series because of work and the person I asked to record it didn't (I'll have words for her don't you worry lol) but it sounds like they've kept up the standard and the difference between this and last year is that I'm pretty sure I'll get it on dvd....at the right price!! Not too happy on this kissing though with the Doctor, it feels a bit american-movie with me (ie they change something that shouldn't be changed) like they did with the Judge Dredd movie, soon as he took that helmet off I had a feeling of foreboding about it, as for potential love interest for Dredd or The Doctor you think it as possible but speaking for myself it's never happened before so why try to fix what isn't broke....but like I said looking good for the future...as long as he doesn't start wearing a baseball cap with the peak upwards or high-fiving the Cybermen.... :shock: 8)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Just as long as no one's been tempted to get in contact with the cybermen's 'touchy feelie' side!
well, what you're likely to get is lonelyness, since that's the 'theme' for this season.

Peripart said:
I'm not about to quibble and ask how, if the Cybermen were created in an alternative version of 2006, William Hartnell's Doctor met them on the moon at about the same time, after they had travelled from their home planet, Mondas, Eart's twin. No, I won't quibble.

Technically speaking, you can't quibble since it's subject to time and relative dimensions and space and all that, leaving little room for pedants to swing their cats ;)

This was the first one since the re launch of Who that scared the kids, ok the gas mask one creeped them a bit, excellent. I didn't see it till Sunday and on Sat Eve I got a ring from my ex saying she was having a job getting the boys to bed, she didn't twig, having watched it y/day I figured it out and gave her a call and by then she'd already got it. She wants to start watching it on vid on Sunday morn, I don't know though will that spoil the magic? Absolutely loving this Dr not sure about the assistants though, I caught Dr Who confidential and it was quite good watching the commitment to quality from the production team, winning them a deserved Bafta 8) :D

crunchy5 said:
She wants to start watching it on vid on Sunday morn, I don't know though will that spoil the magic?
Part of the fun of it is the scares. I have photos of me aged three or four watching Doctor Who. Three pictures in all. First picture, I'm sat on the settee. Second picture I'm kneeling behind the settee, third picture I'm in the corridor, peeking around the corner, on hands and knees. I didn't just hide behind the sofa, I went in a completely different part of the house to watch the blessed thing.

I asked my mum how she knows its Doctor Who I was watching, she says 'that was the only programme you watched like that. Every week you were the same.' And you know what frightened me more than the Daleks, than Horror of Fang Rock, than the Talons of Weng-Chiang? Tom Bakers eyes!!!

My mum said Doctor Who frightened me, but she knew I wasn't upset, I was just excited. It was that kind of a fright. So she didn't have a problem me watching it every week. It used to give me nightmares too, but here's the important bit, it's a family show. Which meant my mum watched it with me, which meant she knew what Daleks were or Cybermen, so she could tell me how best to deal with those nightmares while not spoiling the magic of the tv show. It's a family show which goes beyond the reaches of you all sitting together to watch it infront of the telly. It goes to your parents actually talking to you about it. Communication opens up, and the thing I remember that really settled me as a child was that my mum understood it. And it didn't frighten her, so... And, believe it or not, eventually, that made it okay. But I don't think I ever quite got over Tom Bakers eyes.

Of course, back in the mid seventies, we didn't have video recorders or digital box top thingies, so it was watching it on the night or nothing.

I'd say talk to the kids about the show after it finishes. And when you talk to them say 'did you find it frightening?' and if they say yes, you say 'but was it fun?'. Then, like last weeks episode, you'll hear them start talking about the horse or the chips from the week before. There are anchor points between the scares in the show that psychologically kids will latch on to and smile about or laugh about. And that's a great leveller. Always, in conversation, bring them back to the fun of it all. And emphasise, it's not fear they're feeling, it's excitement. You may find that makes the world of difference, and makes Saturday nights a deal of fun beyond just watching the show. Doctor Who works on the brain like giving kids fizzy drinks just before bed. Expect a calming down period. But, by communicating, talking about the excitement of it all, it'll defuse the situation quicker than waiting for all them chemicals from a fizzy drink to wear off.

I thought 'The Girl in the Fireplace' was just...splendid. It sets up a great story (spaceship in 51st century holds a number of time portals to a very specific location in the eighteenth century; the crew on the spaceship have gone; the ship itself is infused with organic components; strange faceless automatons menace Madame Du Pompadour) that just leaves you wanting to find out more. What was great is that though the reason why the droids need the rather ravishing Sophia Myles should be fairly obvious, I found still myself completely surprised by that last shot at the end. It was all really nicely done, and I think David Moffat (who also wrote last season's excellent 'The Empty Child/Doctor Dances' two-parter) really 'gets' what Doctor Who is about - even more so than RTD, I think.

And we find out that the Doctor likes posh arty birds who can do a spot of gardening, too. Nice.

There was just one thing lacking in this episode, however, which would have sealed it as the most brilliant episode of the new season if it were done: and that would have been a scene where the Doctor referred to himself as the 'Count De St-Germain'!

barfing_pumpkin said:
There was just one thing lacking in this episode, however, which would have sealed it as the most brilliant episode of the new season if it were done: and that would have been a scene where the Doctor referred to himself as the 'Count De St-Germain'!

Actually, end of the episode in her letter, I thought there was a subtle nod to that with regard to her observations of him having never aged.

Peripart said:
...I watched last night's episode with a feeling of trepidation - like others, I was a little worried by the apparent repetition ...

Just watched it now. And, wow! The best yet, loved every moment of it.

:)

I thought it was a lovely little complete story. It was almost like a comic book story. And the finale was stupendous! The wink was just the cherry on the cake! :lol:

Well I've finally watched it and yes it was a good episode and as long as they keep up the standards I'll be around for the forseeable future...but I'm sure The Doctor already knows that.... :shock: 8)

Tell you what - I really like this steampunk thing which seems to be the theme of the current series. We've had 'Tooth and Claw' with its marvellous werewolf-killing contraption, 'The Girl in the Fireplace' with clockwork robots, and next episode we're gonna get gleaming art-deco airships flying above London. I hope there's more of this sort of stuff to come - I've always had a feeling that steampunk-ish ideas would be very well served by Doctor Who.

I certainly do feel nostalgic watching it again and it's great escapism and getting better for me :lol:

The entire first series was more or less in the can by the time it went on air. So to have 13 episodes boldly pronounce itself saying, 'okay, we're doing doctor who, and this is how we're gonna do it' with such tremendous confidence, I think is great.

But this season is SO much better. This season has built on the confidence of the first series and is now acing every week.

Lovin' it.

This Saturdays and next weeks looks like they could be the best of the series but you're right, it is much much better than the last series which despite what it says is NOT the first series of it, maybe the 27th?? 8)

Yes, although I feel very anorak-ish about it, I must confess that calling it series 2 really does grate on my nerves.

It does because kids like me who watched it in the 70s didn't know then of the episodes from the 60s-early 70's, if a kid buys the Eccleston box set for Xmas last year they might've thought they had all the Dr Who stuff when there's so much more to see... 8)

AvlinWitchslicer said:
This Saturdays and next weeks looks like they could be the best of the series but you're right, it is much much better than the last series which despite what it says is NOT the first series of it, maybe the 27th?? 8)
A mate of mine, misled by some throwaway remarks of mine into thinking that I was a big Doctor Who fan, has presented me with half a dozen coupons clipped from some National newspaper of repute (it may have been The Sun), which entitles me to buy a 6 DVD set of Doctor Who adventures for a mere £2.99.

An offer I couldn't refuse! :D

rynner said:
A mate of mine, misled by some throwaway remarks of mine into thinking that I was a big Doctor Who fan, has presented me with half a dozen coupons clipped from...[The Sun]...which entitles me to buy a 6 DVD set of Doctor Who adventures for a mere £2.99. An offer I couldn't refuse! :D
I too managed to persuade a colleague (and Scum reader) to collect the coupons for me. The only paper I had to buy was the Saturday one with the last coupon - the body of the paper made it only as far as the bin outside the newsagent, as I was already extracting the coupon as I walked out of the door.

Still a bit disappointed at the single-episode stinginess of these DVDs, but it will be a nostalgia trip seeing William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton as the Doctor for only the second or third time in my life. I know that those particular episodes come from incomplete or "lost" stories, but I still think that the Sun could have put out a complete "Robots of Death" or "Earthshock" just as easily as the first episode of each. At £2.99, I'm not really complaining, but I sense a marketing tie-in between the Sun and the BBC!

Well you can get those DVD stories for under a tenner anyway and that's not even online and they're worth it, I just wished they released them more regularly, 2 Tom Baker ones a year will take a couple of decades to collect and I can't wait that long for my nostalgia fix....lets hope they hurry them up but keep the high standards!! :shock: <<<Tom, we need more of you!!

Wooohooo!

The wait is over. :D

The Cybermen eposode is on Saturday. :yeay:

Is it any good Pietro? That was my favourite Asimov story ever, avoided the film as i didn't think i could face Robin Williams murdering it for me...

Back