• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

The skinny on Torchwood is, yes, it's set present day-ish. The how and why of Jack getting back to the 21st century, plus the story of the two missing years of his life that he mentions in The Empty Child, will be told.

Captain Jack is also set to appear in season 3 of Doctor Who. There have been comments that Jack has no idea the Doc regenerated and that The Doctor is not at all happy that Jack was brought back from the dead.

Sounds like fun.

Now there's a rumour that Zoe Lucker will be playing The Rani in the new series. I thought all Time Lords and Ladies were dead? I haven't seen Miss Lucker in anything, so don't know how talented or otherwise she is.

Doctor_Occupant said:
Captain Jack is also set to appear in season 3 of Doctor Who. There have been comments that Jack has no idea the Doc regenerated and that The Doctor is not at all happy that Jack was brought back from the dead.

Am I the only one getting sick of seeing John Barrywhatsiface everywhere? If he's not Dancing on Ice, introducing Music Theatre Classics being murdered, he's now judging " a Problem callled Maria" on Primetime ! And this Torchwood spin off hasn't even started!

-

gncxx said:
Now there's a rumour that Zoe Lucker will be playing The Rani in the new series. I thought all Time Lords and Ladies were dead? I haven't seen Miss Lucker in anything, so don't know how talented or otherwise she is.

It must be true, it was in The Sun :roll:

link

bigphoot1 said:
gncxx said:

It must be true, it was in The Sun :roll:

link

Apparently the episode also features the invasion of Earth by Flying Pigs...

BTW: what is that red and black thing between the Doctor and Ms Lucker (who was born to feature in a limerick)

Oh, for Fort's Sake! The Rani? She's not even a real rogue Time Lord.

If she's still around, what about the other Time Lords? We get told that the Doctor is the only one left, but now there's another one? What next? The Master's not really dead? Again? Romana turns up with the Doctor's baby? (You know they were doing it.)

The Daleks not being all gone is cool. Especially the way they explained it: One survived, and recreated the race from scratch. Having more Time Lords turn up is just, well, lame.

[EDIT]And the red thing is a stilleto heeled shoe that the actress is holding.

If they ever decided to bring back the Time Lords (there's several ways they could do it, which I won't go into into as this isn't Outpost Gallifrey and I'm not that geeky) I don't think they'd bring back the Rani as she wasn't exactly your classic Who villain (except to those who like their Who really, really camp) and doesn't have the resonance outside long-time Who fans that the Daleks and the Cybermen have.

If Zoe Lucker is in it at all, it'll be as some other villain.

(I can see it's a stiletto now, I thought it was supposed to be a gun...)

They should have brought Kate O'Mara back! She's still looking good for her age.

sorry to point this out again, but at the end of the last series they left the door open to a parallel universe for quite some time. A universe which had it's own version of the cybermen, it's own Mickey. Would stand to reason it would therefore have its own Doctor (only called The Master) and it's own timelords. So in theory, it's open season.

I read on Teletext that the Rani story is rubbish made up by the Sun to secure some free publicity for the newspaper. Something like that, anyway. It is rubbish, though. The paper and the story.

Damn! I knew I should have pursued a career in the press!

Here's an example of my work:

The Sun said:
Aliester Crowley in Doctor Who

A source close to BBC Wales confirmed today that notorious drug fiend and sorceror Crowley will take on the role of Classic Who villain The Master.

Crowley will battle David Tennant as the Doctor in the new series, which starts filming in October. Crowley joins a list of actors to have played the role before.

Doctor_Occupant said:
Damn! I knew I should have pursued a career in the press!

Here's an example of my work:

The Sun said:
Aliester Crowley in Doctor Who

A source close to BBC Wales confirmed today that notorious drug fiend and sorceror Crowley will take on the role of Classic Who villain The Master.

Crowley will battle David Tennant as the Doctor in the new series, which starts filming in October. Crowley joins a list of actors to have played the role before.

OOOH! The Doctor meets Aliester Crowley - there's an idea I genuinely like the sound of!! :twisted:

Sad news, The voice actor of the family ness (easily the best cryptozological cartoon ever created), zippy from rainbow, the daleks from doctor who and captain pugwash has died.

obituary from the torygraph:

Peter Hawkins, who died on July 8 aged 82, had a voice beloved by generations of young television viewers from the 1950s.

He produced the crisp military tones of Sir Prancelot, the electronically processed metallic menace of the Daleks' "Ex-ter-min-ate" and the high-pitched, blustering demands of Captain Pugwash; he also provided voices for The Woodentops, SuperTed, Rainbow (he was Zippy in the first series), The Family Ness, Jet-Set, Skylark and Penny Crayon.

But it was the language of Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men, which he called "oddle poddle", that became best known. Hawkins created this by rendering a script in plain English into gibberish which was comprehensible to small viewers. However, it remained largely a mystery to their elders, who had difficulty recognising that "flobbadob" meant flowerpot, even though the word has since become part of popular language.

A policeman's son, Peter John Hawkins was born at Brixton, south London, on April 3 1924, and made his first stage appearance as a member of the chorus in a musical sketch at school in Clapham. At 14 he wrote, with three friends, a revue entitled The Five Bs. He ran with the Herne Hill Harriers.

After the outbreak of war Hawkins joined the Royal Navy, and survived, though a piece of shrapnel pierced his clothing, when the destroyer Limbourne sank after being torpedoed off the coast of northern France. While recuperating he took part in plays and pantomimes, which led to his being taken into Combined Operations Entertainments. Towards the end of the war he toured the Continent and went to Vancouver with the topical revue Pacific Showboat.

On being demobbbed Hawkins worked at the East Riding Theatre, and then did a two-year course at the Central School of Speech and Drama, where he won a sonnet-speaking prize. His first West End appearance was as Joe Gorme in Sit Down a Minute, Adrian at the Comedy. He made his television debut as Albert Tuggeridge in an adaptation of The Good Companions.

Hawkins made a significant advance in his career when he started to provide the voice for the puppet Mr Turnip, who sat on the presenter Humphrey Lestocq's shoulder making caustic remarks in the children's show Whirligig.

He worked with many familiar names in television, and appeared, heavily made up, as a wizard, a bishop, Friar Tuck and the captain of a Mexican firing squad in many episodes of Dave Allen at Large. His voice-over work for advertisements included playing a money sign for Access and providing the laughter of little Martian robots for Cadbury's Smash. He claimed that his weirdest job was providing the voice of a female medium channelling the words of the Pharoah Tutankhamun; and that the most difficult was being an Albanian interpreter who spoke English with a German accent.

Hawkins made a considerable amount of money, and managed to amass a collection of works by Monet, Pissarro, Sisley, Sutherland, Epstein and Elisabeth Frink as well as a fine collection of Japanese sword guards. He was also very keen on Japanese food, though he could not abide bananas or tea.

He married, in 1956, the actress Rosemary Miller, with whom he had a son, Silas, who provides the voices for the animated series Summerton Mill on the digital children's channel CBeebies.

Looking back on his career, Peter Hawkins said that he had had two ambitions: to become a famous actor and a successful one. "I've realised the second," he said, "and I'm grateful."

I remember seeing that guy on Wogan once, demonstrating his Bill and Ben voice/language. And Wogan said to him "You're making this up" to which he laughed and replied that he was!:D

Didn't know that he was the voice of the daleks though...

A sad loss.

It brings to mind how many people are involved in creating something that's become a part of the culture or the language, and how few are given the credit they deserve.

Like...

well, we all know that the Daleks were created by Terry Nation. But who designed them?

And we all know that Ron Grainer wrote the Who theme, but how many folks know who Delia Derbyshire was?

And what was the name of the person who came up with the concept for the series in the first place?

Doctor_Occupant said:
And what was the name of the person who came up with the concept for the series in the first place?
Without cheating (promise!), was it Sydney Newman?

Delia Derbyshire - she's that cook from the Peak District. Thought everyone knew that.

Well I tuned into Nationwide tonight to see the lovely Freema, and despite the Clive James during the 80s satellite delay she was able to reveal... precisely nothing about the new series. It was just a cunning ploy to get me to tune in. And I fell for it!

Doctor_Occupant said:
well, we all know that the Daleks were created by Terry Nation. But who designed them?

And we all know that Ron Grainer wrote the Who theme, but how many folks know who Delia Derbyshire was?

Dalek Designer - Ray Cusick
Delia Derbyshire - BBC Radiophonics bod who arranged the tune
Original concept - well lots of people had input on various aspects but the original idea was Sydney Newman's.

Do I get a prize ? :)

Gordon

Actually, Gordon, I am the owner of an official Marvel Comics No-Prize, which was passed on to me by a relative of the original awardee following a tragic webslinging accident, that I would now like to award to you.

If you look out of your window about....now.

Yep, it's all yours.

I'm off to find out what else Ray Cusick did.

Doctor_Occupant said:
Actually, Gordon, I am the owner of an official Marvel Comics No-Prize, which was passed on to me by a relative of the original awardee following a tragic webslinging accident, that I would now like to award to you.
If you look out of your window about....now.
Yep, it's all yours.
I'm off to find out what else Ray Cusick did.

Fantastic - always wanted a Marvel No Prize. I'll kep it next to my Round Tuit from either Noel Edmonds or DLT - I forget now.

Terry Nation did very well out of the daleks and he always said to Cusick he'd see him right but all Cusick got was a Blue Peter Badge!
Mind at the time in the BBC design dpeartmetn jobs were dumped on to the desk of a designer and in the case of the daleks it could just as easily ahve gone to the guy ont eh next desk to Cusick, some chap named Ridley Scott, wonder what became of him :)

Gordon

Actually, people did get something when they won a No-Prize. They were sent an envelope with the words "This envelope contains your official Marvel No-Prize!" printed on the outside. The envelope was, of course, empty.

I used to have a few of them knocking about, but I lost them years ago.

I knew Zippy actor Roy Skelton had been a dalek voice throughout the 70's, but hadn't realised Peter Hawkins had also voiced Zippy earlier.
Still. explains a lot.....

dalekzippy.jpg

Maybe they sat through "K9 and Company" and finally twigged that not everything touched by the hand of Dr Who turns to gold?

What about Who spin-offs, though? There are some Sarah Jane Smith audio adventures, and a few straight-to-video stories featuring Who characters (Sontarans, Draconians etc) but I've not heard or seen them, just seen the adverts. Anyone out there have any experience of these? Are they any good? I'm getting a bit edgy in the Dr Who "off" season - and not looking forward to the Catherine Tate episode at Xmas - so, apart from ordering the Inferno DVD, what should I be looking out for to get my Autumnal Who fix?

Torchwood.
- which, now that they've resolved the problems with the HD, is being filmed. Post-watershed, so more grown up than Who.

Season 2 DVD for November/Xmas.\

Big Finish Audios - classic Doctors, decent production values, some good to excellent stories. The stories featuring the 6th Doctor and the 8th are some of the best, with Colin Baker really shining. Doctors 5 and 7 also feature well. Also from Big Finish: the Gallifrey stories featuring Lalla Ward as Romana, the Dalek Empire stories, a few UNIT tales...

Sarah Jane Investigates - apparently aimed squarely at kids.

K-9 Adventures - animated/live action kids series, currently 'in the works'.

The 'Rose' spinoff was cancelled by Russel T himself. Apparently it had got as far as having a 'nice budget' etc and RTD took the decision to axe the idea because he felt it would cheapen Doctor Who. Apparently he took a hit in the bank balance to do it too.

gordonrutter said:
Peripart said:
so, apart from ordering the Inferno DVD, what should I be looking out for to get my Autumnal Who fix?
What you got already?

Gordon
Memories, mainly!

I've one or two DVDs, an ancient Pyramids of Mars VHS, and recently got rid of over 100 books and annuals (including Terminus, signed by Mark Strickson - woo-hoo!). I'm looking at the DVDs out there, and other than Inferno, I'm considering Robots of Death and any interesting Peter Davison stuff I spot, although no "snake" stories (you know the two I mean).

Really, I'm just asking for tips on what DVDs or CDs out there really stand out, whether regular Who or a bit more left-field, as it were.

Peripart said:
any interesting Peter Davison stuff I spot, although no "snake" stories (you know the two I mean).

Really, I'm just asking for tips on what DVDs or CDs out there really stand out, whether regular Who or a bit more left-field, as it were.

From the Big Finish range

Spare Parts - the original Cybermen back story. Rather good.

The Natural History of Fear - 8th Doctor, sort of, but a very good audio drama in its own right.

Peripart said:

Persoanlly I'm not a fan of the audio adventures, or Stranger videos or anything of that nature so proper Who only!

Robots of Death is fantastic, Horror of Fang Rock, Talons of Weng CHaing, The Tomb of the Cybermen and my personal favourite The Mind Robber and of course there's always the Green Death as well.

Gordon

Back