• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Thanks for the tips, all. I've got Talons and Green Death already, and was looking to get Inferno, but I'll add Fang Rock and Robots of Death to my Xmas list.

Mind you, I've not seen Robots of Death since it was broadcast, so my memory might be hazy, but my recollection is that we'd only just got a colour TV, and that it was a cracking, creepy story only slightly marred by incredibly garish make-up and costumes. My memory might be playing tricks in that respect - if not, I can always turn the colour down a bit. One thing I'm sure I do remember from that tale was Tom Baker being completely buried in gravel at the end of one episode, and me thinking "maybe he's actually dead this time" and being kept in suspense for a very nervous week!

Fang Rock - also very scary IIRC! Looking forward to a chilling 90 minutes...

Yes, Robots of Death is one of the best they ever did, a great Ten Little Indians mystery. Plus it scared me half to death when I was a kid, much more than any of the others.

Doctor Who wins a Hugo

Steven Moffat picks up a Hugo for The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, and richly deserved it is too, beating out half of the rest of Season One and Battlestar Galactica too.

Huzzah!.[/url]

Hope he doesn't win one for The Girl in the Fireplace as I didn't think that was very well done at all.

Come to think of it, I didn't like the ending of The Doctor Dances, and it was mainly the ending I didn't like about The Girl in the Fireplace. Maybe he should stick to writing comedy.

Hush your mouth, the girl in the fireplace was fantastic and apart from the end of season 2 parter and new earth the best episode this series.

I've just watched City of Death on DVD. Do you think we will ever get another big location shoot like that one?

Much more likely now than it was then, to be honest. They have a bigger budget.

If only they could get the Transit out of Cardiff.

They'll just get the art department to create any non-Welsh backgrounds on computers as usual.

Stop yer whinin'.

Every other sci-fi show, from Andromeda to the X-Files, is filmed in Vancouver.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5311518.stm

Presenter Yates joins Doctor Who

Former Top Of The Pops presenter Reggie Yates will play a leading role in the new series of Doctor Who.

BBC Radio 1 DJ Yates, 23, will star as the brother of the Time Lord's new assistant, medical student Martha Jones - played by Freema Agyeman.

Actor Dean Lennox Kelly, best known as Kev in hit C4 drama Shameless, will guest star as William Shakespeare.

The episode features Shakespeare giving "the performance of his life" to save the Earth, said Russell T Davies.

"The Shakespeare episode is, without doubt, one of our most ambitious projects to date," said Davies, who is executive producer of the series and the show's main writer.

Other new faces in the series include Trevor Laird, who plays Martha's father, and Adjoa Andoh, as her mother.

The new series - which will be the third since the cult programme was revived, and the second featuring David Tennant in the title role - is scheduled to air in 2007.

Billie Piper announced her departure from the show as assistant Rose Tyler in June this year.

Reggie's a nice guy but I don't know how great an actor he is. Could be Mickey Part II.

Is it just me, or was there once a time in Dr Who when it was enough to have an assistant, and you didn't have to meet their Mom/Dad/brother/ex?

Surely the Doctor only used to travel with stowaways or people who had nothing left at home. Sometimes, like Jo or Leela, they'd finally leave the Doctor when they'd found love, but it wasn't Eastenders from the get-go!

Mind you, my first thought on reading that last headline was that they'd somehow re-animated the corpse of Paula Yates. This, though, is far worse.

Why are people unable to tell the difference between any kind of drama and Eastenders? Seriously. Why are folks never able to equate any kind of family relationship as being anything other than soap? Particularly, why is the mere idea of a Doctor Who companion with a family enough to spark this reaction without anyone having seen how it will be handled?

Doctor_Occupant said:
Particularly, why is the mere idea of a Doctor Who companion with a family enough to spark this reaction without anyone having seen how it will be handled?
Because in the case of Rose, all the stuff with her Mum just distracted from the story rather than enhanced it. OK, we know Rose has a mother, but we don't need to meet her every other episode in order to set up the "young" Jackie in Father's Day (what a breathtaking transformation that was - hmm) or the "alternative" Jackie in the Cyberman season 2 closer.

I also feel that Dr Who needs a few more extraterrestrial episodes, and slightly fewer set in London/Cardiff. Much as I'm enjoying the current run, I don't want to see any more drivel like Fear Her (now that was rubbish) or that "Wire" thing whose name I've forgotten again.

Hence the EastEnders allusion. I'm not saying it's half as bad as that, really, but of all the recent episodes, the one that reminded me most of the old series was the Impossible Planet two-parter. That's what I want more of. Mind you, it's only an opinion, and we've all got plenty of those, haven't we? Boring world otherwise!

The Impossible Planet was full of science errors, and really could have been a lot better. So yes, it did remind me of the old Doctor Who.

Doomsday, however, was brilliant. (which I have just noticed, sounds best said in a Welsh accent...)

eburacum said:
The Impossible Planet was full of science errors, and really could have been a lot better. So yes, it did remind me of the old Doctor Who.
That probably sums up why I liked it so much! Actually, what I felt it captured really well was some of the claustrophia of the old series. Reminded me very much of shows like The Seeds of Doom (I think that's what it was called - haven't seen it for 30 years! The one with the Krynoid and that plant-mad nutcase - "He's in the garden. He's part of the garden").

It's taken a while, but finally K9 and Company has been turned into a series! Let's hope they keep the theme tune.

gncxx said:
It's taken a while, but finally K9 and Company has been turned into a series! Let's hope they keep the theme tune.

You are Ian Levine and I claim my five pounds!

Doctor_Occupant said:
gncxx said:

You are Ian Levine and I claim my five pounds!

He can't be Levine, he isn't TALKING LIKE THIS AND SAYING HOW HE SAVED DOCTOR WHO AND IS THE BESTEST FAN IN THE WORLD EVER!!!!

gordonrutter said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
I'm not Ian Levine!!

---------------
Currenty getting heavy advertising on TV:

www.battlesintime.com

Anyone buying these?

erm - might be : 0

Gordon

LOL - and is it any good?

I've never fully understood the card thing and assumed i was really a cunning way to separate a fan and their cash.

Oh dear:

Doctor Who baddie role for Barlow

Former Coronation Street star Thelma Barlow is to star as a baddie in the next series of Doctor Who.

Barlow, 77, who played timid Mavis Wilton in the ITV soap for 26 years, will star as Lady Thaw in an episode to be shown next year.

The actress is also known for her role in BBC sitcom Dinnerladies.

The episode will also feature the League of Gentleman's Mark Gatiss, 39, as a scientist. Gatiss wrote two earlier episodes of Doctor Who.

RECENT GUEST STARS IN DR WHO

Zoe Wanamaker
Catherine Tate
Penelope Wilton
Tracy Ann Oberman
Anne Robinson
Andrew Marr
Richard Wilson
Simon Pegg
Simon Callow

A third series of Russell T Davies' Doctor Who is due to air in spring 2007, following a Christmas special this year.

It will see actress Freema Agyeman, 27, taking over from Billie Piper as the Doctor's assistant. The BBC recently announced a Doctor Who spin-off starring Elisabeth Sladen, who played one of the doctor's companions, Sarah Jane, in the 1970s.

That series will kick off with a one-hour special early next year.

-----------
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 388130.stm

Published: 2006/09/28 15:09:32 GMT

© BBC MMVI

And cue the "ZOMFG!!!111 Drs Woo is now all SOPE!!" comments.

Apparently, Gatiss plays a scientist who finds a way to reverse the ageing process.

Mighty_Emperor said:
gordonrutter said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
I'm not Ian Levine!!

---------------
Currenty getting heavy advertising on TV:

www.battlesintime.com

Anyone buying these?

erm - might be : 0

Gordon

LOL - and is it any good?

I've never fully understood the card thing and assumed i was really a cunning way to separate a fan and their cash.

I tend not to be a card thing type person either but it looks ok - at full price it may be a bit expensive but I'll stick with it for the mo.

I'll keep you posted.

Gordon

Back