• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Great episode, tell the kids there really are nasty things in the dark, that shadows can kill you and that the real word isn't real but the nightmare one is...

Doctor Who is back to it's good scary form.

The liitle girl's got to be the AI running the library that's hiding in a virtual world

i thought that at first but i'm not so sure now. i do suspect the library has uploaded everyone that was there into the computer to save them...

...also picked up on a possible influence from Bioshock... it's stylisticly very similar, even down to the security cameras, but with scary space suit baddies instead of diving suits... :D

Well we seem to be the only people who actually watched - the overnight viewing figures give it a total of 5.4 million people which is I believe the lowest figures for new Who.

Gordon

gncxx said:
If the grand finale of this season ends with Captain Jack shagging the Doctah's brains out then, yes, I'll admit there's been a gay storyline. But a handful of gay characters every once in a while? I don't see the problem.

Getting Jason Statham in as the next Doctah and making him a two-fisted ultra-macho action man instead? I wouldn't like that so much.

I have no problem with gay characters once in a while but it has been every damn episode recently.
Honestly I'm not homophobic, I lived in Brighton for three years.

I think the reason for the low figures was the finals of both Britain's got talent and the Nancy thing. I think when figures for the repeat and downloads on iPlayer are taken into account they'll be better.

Excellent episode, I thought. I wish the mysterious-but-obviously Mrs. Doctor wouldn't keep dropping such big hints though. I mean, I can't imagine the Doctor romantically involved with someone quite so tactless.

Mind you, that's me assuming it is Mrs. Doctor. She's acting like it though, that's for sure.

Makes me want to know why she got all funny when she heard the name Donna Noble.

Still - I love this kind of Doctor. And isn't this the same guy who gave us The Empty Child, The Girl in the Fireplace, and Blink? All excellent stories, with proper scary monsters. And the guy who's going to succeed Russell T.

liveinabin1 said:
gay characters once in a while but it has been every damn episode recently.

(snip!)

I think the reason for the low figures was the finals of both Britain's got talent and the Nancy thing. I think when figures for the repeat and downloads on iPlayer are taken into account they'll be better.

I agree about that particular sccheduling.

I have, however, rather missed all the gay Dr Who subplots :oops: and if someone could list them I'd be grateful. It's almost bouind to come up in our local pub quiz.

Not the torchwood ones - even I noticed a few of those. And refreshing it was too :lol:

Kath

Excellent episode. Alex Kingston wasn't too annoying, and I always like it when they break the apparent TV rule that time-travellers have to meet each other in the same order. The dying personalities recorded in the communicatos was quite touching, and having the line "It's dark, Dave" made scary by virtue of it being spoken be a skeleton in a suit - class! And another TV rule broken: two characters with the same name! "Other Dave" - excellent. Top marks.

Now that Graham Norton's long search for the perfect Nancy has ended, let's hope the ratings recover.

Also, it was a nice Saturday weather-wise, and either half term is finishing or just starting (depending where in the country you are, it seems), and a lot of people seem to have gone away. So they may have been travelling.

Yes.... the acting around the first communicator ghosting got through to me - all that "don't tell them they'll laugh"...

SOB! :oops:

Kath

All the makings of a classic Dr Who, two parter. My son was well impressed.

More than a bit of a nod to BuffytVS, too. ;)

How old is your son P_M and was he behind the sofa? :D

There's something about this author that takes me right back to being terrified again. It's wonderful!

Kath

He's great. He comes up with the sort of things that you secretly always knew was true - that fireplaces are portals, clockwork is alive, gas masks are scary, the dark is dangerous, there's a good reason to sleep with the light on. It's all primeval stuff. Good old fashioned stuff of nightmares.

Great stuff.

In the Doctor Who confidential afterwards he said that what he thinks about when creating a story is: what is is a child's bedroom that he can write into the story so they can't sleep. (monsters under the bed, dark corners etc) Is is something children can play in the playground on Monday?

I'll be looking for children walking around like Zombies say 'who turned out the lights'.

I don't think Prof River Song is his future Mrs, too obvious, and too much of a rip off of Time Travellers Wife.

Oh I don't think she's the future Doctor. It's all the face stroking and looking so hurt that he doesn't recognise her or seem affected by her, as well as the thing about how young he looks, and who she is to him.

She could be his daughter. Or indeed Susan, his grand-daughter (cue my grand-unification theory involving Cribbins and the Daleks, yet again :D.)

Brilliant episode! Pity the (posting tactfully) bit where he found where Donna had got to was somewhat blunted by the rest-of-series preview last week, pre-Eurovision.

I don't think she's Susan. Time Lords are usually able to recognise each other, even when they've regenerated. I'd have thought that with relatives it would be even more likely.

My theory, which has no real basis in anything (potential spoilers)
She's going to die in the next episode, and the Doctor, feeling guilty, will start visiting her in the past, and teaching her about bits of history he's been to.

I may only be partially correct, or completely wrong.

i think you're right. it's going to be a tragedy, so the first time he meets her will be the last time she meets him...

Looks like they are also setting up the back story to help the doctor get over the 13 regenerations as well. She kept saying that he looked so young. He is on his 9th rengeneration, isn't he? That would make him an elder(ish) time lord.

***SPOILER*** (Well, in my world)

I've a theory that Prof River Song may possibly be Captain Jack Harkness!

Consider the clues;

1) She told one of her party (the guy from "The League Of Gentlemen") to put his helmet on because she "didn't fancy him" Pure Captain Jack!

2) She told Donna "I'd travel to the end of the Universe for that man, in fact I did" re; Series 3 finale

3) Captain Jack becomes the Face of Boe. Maybe turning female is part of the transformation. In series 2, their was a news-flash stating the Face of Boe was pregnant, so maybe, just maybe.........

Wouldn't he recognise the paradox thingy, as he said in the last series that Captain Jack looked wrong?

I like the idea that the first time he meets her is her last. That's got a good twist to it.

They established in The Empty Child (also by Moffat) that by the 51st Century (when both Jack and River come from) sexuality had become a lot more relaxed. So I don't think River is actually Jack. That wouldn't make sense. She struck me as more like someone with a girlish obsession (the notebook, for instance, is a schoolgirl's journal - she's probably got drawings of her fantasy wedding to the Doctor in it).

Actually, it's interesting in the context of the other Moffat stories and characters. She's from the 51st Century (cf Jack), has a crush on the Doctor who has been appearing to her during her life to talk to her and teach her (cf The Girl in the Fireplace), she's meeting him out of sequence (cf Blink). If she edited a student newspaper and hung out with her friends in a winebar talking about sex, she'd be the ultimate Stephen Moffat character.

I don't think I'll be able to go to the library again without watching for shadows.

It was good, wasn't it? Even the tearkjerking bit at the end I found poignant, and I usually don't. I liked the way they didn't explain everything, the mystery keeps the plot going. A bit Matrix-y, though, with all the V.R.

I'm glad I've never had a rhubarb surprise, mind you. Sounds uncomfortable. And Donna got to scream, too, which makes her a proper companion.

"Rhubarb Surprise" - I missed that bit :shock:

So the Library is still over-run with Vashtanarava (or however you spell it), and they gave them a day to get everyone out of it - not exactly a resounding victory I suppose.

I liked the new way of opening the TARDIS though. And I'm still curious about what's going to happen to Donna. I wonder if she's going to find that bloke again?

Anome and Black River Falls win the prize for guessing the ending.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7442418.stm

I hope this works. I know there is a rumour running around that Tennant is off a Christmas 2009, but I really hope he's around for at least another one or two series. I like the idea of Doctor that sticks around for a while rather than changing every couple of series/years.

Just change the asssistants. And stop bringing them back

With any luck he'll enjoy a break during 2009 and come back refreshed for 2010. At least it might stop the endless speculation on who will be his successor for a while.

{I don't know how to do the invisible writing thingy, so I apologise if this is a spoiler. But I don't think it is, as I'm not actually saying it's definite)

However.

I had heard that James Nesbitt was definitely going to be the next Doctor.

Ravenstone said:
I had heard that James Nesbitt was definitely going to be the next Doctor.
I do hope you're wrong about that. :(
For invisible writing, select colour white!

Back