• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Only a matter of time before someone mentions her in connection with The Rani...

She does have an English accent nowadays mind you, that might help her chances of an appearance.

*puts on Gillian Anderson's Official Stalker hat*

She was born in england and lived for a few years before shipping off to the colonies so the accent is pretty much authentic, although it never used to be quite so posh from what I remember.

I'd like to see her playing The Rani. It'd be good to see her dark side come out in a character.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8068435.stm

Tennant to appear in Who spin-off

David Tennant is to appear as the Time Lord in Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures, the BBC has announced.

Tennant, 38, will appear over two episodes of a new 12-part series of the CBBC show, which starts in September.

Russell T Davies, executive producer of The Sarah Jane Adventures and Doctor Who, said it would be a "full on appearance" and "not just a cameo".

The show follows the adventures of the investigative journalist Sarah Jane Smith - a former Doctor's companion.

Smith is played by actress Elisabeth Sladen, 61, who also played the character in Doctor Who opposite Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker between 1973 and 1976.

'Special treat'

Sladen said she was "absolutely over the moon" to be co-starring alongside Tennant.

"It's fantastic news that Sarah Jane is going to spend some time working with the Doctor again and is testament to just how successful this CBBC series is."

Davies said: "Viewers thought they may have to wait until November for the next full episode of Doctor Who, but this is an extra special treat.

"And it's not just a cameo from David.

"This is a full-on appearance for the Doctor as he and Sarah Jane face their biggest threat ever."

The third series of The Sarah Jane Adventures will feature monsters who want to infect earth and a "living painting".

Tennant is being replaced as Doctor Who by actor Matt Smith, 26, who will appear as the 11th Doctor next year.

Tennant will firstly appear in three specials, starting with The Waters of Mars in November.

Meanwhile, Doctor Who may be heading for the big screen after a spokeswoman for BBC Films confirmed that "a script is in development".

BBC entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba said there were no guarantees a film would be made and that, if the project went into full production, a release would be a long time away.

This will make up for no DW series this year. Elisabeth Sladen's 61, though! She doesn't look it!

gncxx said:
This will make up for no DW series this year. Elisabeth Sladen's 61, though! She doesn't look it!
I have to say, this is good news. I've really enjoyed the Sarah Jane Adventures, and not only for the undoubted mature charms of Ms Sladen. Well, OK, mainly for that, but still - it's actually great TV.

What's more, I had the oddest dream the other night that Elisabeth Sladen had died, and since I often go to sleep with the radio on, I was half worried that it was true. So this news is doubly good!

I think she still carries the part off superbly. It's nice to see a show these days where an 'oldie' gets in on the action and is very cool 8)

Doctor Who assistant is unveiled

Little-known actress Karen Gillan has been unveiled as the next assistant in Doctor Who.

The 21-year-old will star alongside new Time Lord Matt Smith in the new series, to be broadcast next year.

Gillan has already appeared in the drama, having played a Soothsayer in The Fires Of Pompeii in the last run.

"I am absolutely over the moon at being chosen to play the Doctor's new companion. - I just can't wait to get started," she said.

'Incredible actor'

"The show is such a massive phenomenon that I can't quite believe I am going to be a part of it.

"Matt Smith is an incredible actor and it is going to be so much fun to act alongside him," she added.

Head of Drama, BBC Wales, Piers Wenger said she brings "energy and excitement" to the role.

"When she auditioned alongside Matt we knew we had something special," he said.

Writer and executive producer Steven Moffat said they saw some "amazing actresses" but Gillan "walked through the door the game was up".

He described her as "funny, and clever, and gorgeous, and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it".

"A generation of little girls will want to be her. And a generation of little boys will want them to be her too," he added.

Gillan, from Inverness, developed a love for acting after attending several youth theatre groups and taking part in various school productions.

At the age of 16, she decided to pursue her career further and left school to study acting at Edinburgh's Telford College.

She went on to secure a place at the Italia Conti drama school in London and landed her first role in the Scottish drama Rebus.

Parts in Channel 4's Stacked, The Kevin Bishop Show and James Nesbitt's forthcoming film Outcast followed, but the role in Doctor Who is her first high profile to date.

See what she looks like here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8073734.stm

How long before DW gets accused of having a "Scottish agenda"?

Ah yes, Elizabeth Sladen. Sci-Fi milf who gives Helen Mirren a run for her money as everyones favourite sexy pensioner.

The new companion is very easy on the eye though. Red heads have always been my secret weakness.

Well yes, because as we all know, everything improves with age.

The real question is how am I going to cope with so much extra female attention at such an elderly juncture. At least I'll go with a smile on my face :D

You may have to beat us off with a stick...kinky...

I've just seen the new costume and to be honest it's a bit, bleh. Mostly brown with a little bow tie. I don't know why this current lot are so infatuated with brown. A dash of purple or red would have been nice. Even a little green.

It reminds me of Indiana Jones's costume when he's not dodging giant balls and arrows. The professor outfit he wears when he's teaching students!

mooks out

river_styx said:
I've just seen the new costume and to be honest it's a bit, bleh. Mostly brown with a little bow tie. I don't know why this current lot are so infatuated with brown. A dash of purple or red would have been nice. Even a little green.

How about a grey suit and a red bowtie? Hm, that reminds me of something...

gncxx said:
river_styx said:

How about a grey suit and a red bowtie? Hm, that reminds me of something...

That's so crazy it might just work!

Is that the actual TARDIS we'll see on screen, or will they CGI it up a bit? At the moment, it looks as wooden as Hayden Christensen - you can see the grain and everything. Looks a bit, well, rubbish.

As for the costume, I think "bleh" sums it up best. Possibly "meh", but "bleh" will do just fine.

I don't think the costume's too bad - as an earlier poster pointed out, it's very 1950s Ivy-league professor ... which seems to suit Matt's frame. However, look at the middle shot from the link posted above, and check out the size of his feet!

Guess it means he has a bigger sonic screwdriver...

I quite like the new outfit. Back to the "man out of time" look. Not that I didn't like the intensity of the 9th Doctor or the 10th Doctor's Jarvis Cocker in Space. (love that Dead Ringers sketch).

Finally The Doctor acts like a god! I was worried it would be too grim tonight, but it was actually really exciting, yeah, and grim too (the ending). It's like the programme is flexing its muscles now with the possibilities of what The Doctor can do. And making him live with the consequences too.

Apart from that, it was a bit like The Thing except on Mars, which is interesting because John Carpenter made a Martian story too (not as good as this, though).

The Cloister Bell is sounding! Roll on Christmas! (sandwich on New Year)

I thought it was pretty terrible. Way too much schmaltz. I really hated it.

Well, that was fun!

Nice to see the Doctor in a hardcore SF situation for once - loved his space-suit! :D

(I thought at first there was a basic scientific error in the intro, but I just watched it again...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... s_of_Mars/
...and I was mistaken.)

Even when you could see all the emotional buttons the show was pressing, it was still irresistable viewing.

But....

They say you're growing old when the policemen seem too young. I think Doctor Who is too young - the role calls for more gravitas, I feel, like the earlier Doctors. In fact, I'm writing to the BBC now to see if they would consider me for the role.... ;)

And when you've watched the show, you can watch

Doctor Who Confidential - Is There Life on Mars?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e_on_Mars/

Behind-the-scenes look at Doctor Who. It is the beginning of the end for David Tennant's Doctor, and Confidential is on a mission to Mars to capture the strange goings on in Bowie base one. The programme goes behind the mask of the monsters as the waters rise, causing the production team all sorts of problems. There are explosions, robots and gallons of water as the Doctor meets one of his heroes and battles against his greatest ever foe - time itself.

Well we never found what they were trying to raise from under the glacier...

Back