• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dolls?

I think you are all mean to dolls :(
Not all of them are bad!!!!

My favourite doll when I was 6 was a big baby boy. One morning I was having breakfast before leaving to school. I was at the kitchen table facing my bedroom. The doll was lying on the bed, his head on my pillow. Suddenly he sat on the bed, turned his head to me and smiled (yes, his eyes were open and his mouth actually moved!), then he went back to sleeping position. I was amazed! I looked at my mum who was across the room, but she was lying in bed with a headache and in a bad mood so I just decided not to say anything. I asked the doll to do it again time after time but never got any answer :(

Biablina said:
I think you are all mean to dolls :(
Not all of them are bad!!!!

But they are - from the very bad childs play/chucky to Barbie that is used to indoctronate young girls to be "good little wives", to action man/gi joe used to teach little boys that being a soldier and killing is good.

Pagani said:
Redhead said:
I have seen that pic before...can't remember where though.

In you nightmares perhaps!!? :vampire: .......or Here :oops:

Thank you, Pagani. I had seen God-Awful Robert on that Raggedy Ann thread...thanks for straightening that out.

Pazza, you have a point about dolls. However, I am thinking if Barbie wasn't portrayed as "perfect", and Gi Joe didn't portray killing as a good thing to do, other aspects of life would surely show all of this. There is no avoiding ANY of it unless you keep your kid locked up in a closet for 20 years. ( let me guess--there is a thread on here for that :shock: .
It is literally everywhere.

Redhead said:
There is no avoiding ANY of it unless you keep your kid locked up in a closet for 20 years. ( let me guess--there is a thread on here for that :shock: .

There is, its how you bring you kids up, my 2 lads where never given handguns as toys (and fortunatly never showed an interest in action man) and now have a firm belief that GUNS ARE NOT TOYS, and i sincerely hope they will pass this on to their children.

I must admit that I know about 1 evil doll (well, allegedly evil that is). Warning: this is not a pleasant story ...

We have some family friends, and about 7 years ago their youngest son got married and his wife gave birth to a girl, who later on was nicknamed Chucky. She is beautiful like a doll, but evil as the prince of darkness himself! She is violent and quite scary. She would stare at people from afar, go blank and fix her eyes on you for minutes (chin down) and then she would smile showing her teeth in a threatening manner, just like a wild animal, and then she would run towards her victim and attack. She often seemed possessed by strange dark forces and would completely lose control of herself, in fact she claimed that one of her dolls was the cause of it.
As she was growing up she was also growing more and more violent, and more and more afraid of the dark and being left alone whether be day or night, for 1 minute or 10. Her fears were irrational, even for a child of her age, so was her level of violence. Her grandmother, who used to baby-sit her everyday, asked her once what was she afraid of and she replied that one of her dolls scares her, and also the people in black. Then granny asked her to explain this to her and her answer was that the doll asked her to do bad things and threaten her when no one was looking. The lady told the parents but both being pretty useless didn’t pay attention. Two years ago when she was only 5 she tried to killed her neighbour, another girl of about the same age. One afternoon she locked themselves in the bathroom while grandmother was cooking, covered the little girl’s head with a towel and tried to drown her in the bath tube. At one point the little girl apparently managed to set herself free and screamed, that’s how the grandmother realised something was very wrong. She run to the bathroom and asked her to open the door, her granddaughter told her to go away, that everything was fine and she was no needed there, but the lady could hear water splashing and other suspicious noises. She forced the door until she managed to open it and when saw what was going on nearly had a hard attack! She assisted the little neighbour and sent her home. Then went back to her granddaughter and asked her the obvious: why. She replied that the doll told her to kill, and that she should have not stopped her, she should have helped her get rid of that child. Then she said: - You don't realise what you've done. You will paid for it and so will that child - .

Scary and sad as this case is, unfortunately for FT purposes, we are all 100 % sure this is a straight forward case of a severe mentally ill child …

I'd say severely. On the realms of schizophrenia dementia. *God told me to do it!*
Any progress?

Have they looked for the 666 on her head?
She seems pretty dam scary!I'm not sure if they should get rid of the doll as you don't really know how she'll take it if she is mentally disturbed.

PaZZa said:
Redhead said:
There is no avoiding ANY of it unless you keep your kid locked up in a closet for 20 years. ( let me guess--there is a thread on here for that :shock: .

There is, its how you bring you kids up, my 2 lads where never given handguns as toys (and fortunatly never showed an interest in action man) and now have a firm belief that GUNS ARE NOT TOYS, and i sincerely hope they will pass this on to their children.

Pazza when my son was born, I was a firm believer in "no toy guns" in this house. I swore I would never buy him one and I never have. Over the years, he has gotten quite the toy gun collection ( mostly water guns) from various sources, mostly given to him as gifts I guess. He is almost 10 now and has always been taught that guns can hurt and kill people.

My point ( and I do have one) is that even though his father nor I have never given him a toy gun, he still acquired them. But whether a child has them or not is not really the point....you were right when you said it is how you raise your kids. I am willing to bet even if your children had had toy guys, they would grow up with the same attitude they have now towards real guns.

Sorry for the Off Topic input here...but the Gi Joe/gun thing started it. :tongue:

Apart from the obvious bad role models and stereotyping gender roles, another reason why dolls are evil is because they had 'dead eyes'. Eyes play a major point in preditory instincts and the eyes...instinctively fire off alarm bells.
Also...they are inanimate representations of animate sentient beings, which is quite odd when you think about it that way.
"Here's a dead *insert* toy." Now, robot toys...that's another topic!
Anyway...back to the thread... Isn't it interesting how claims of haunted toys don't go to teddies or stuffed "cuggily puppies" etc...? ;)

Redhead said:
PaZZa said:
Redhead said:

Pazza when my son was born, I was a firm believer in "no toy guns" in this house. I swore I would never buy him one and I never have. Over the years, he has gotten quite the toy gun collection ( mostly water guns) from various sources, mostly given to him as gifts I guess. He is almost 10 now and has always been taught that guns can hurt and kill people.

My point ( and I do have one) is that even though his father nor I have never given him a toy gun, he still acquired them. But whether a child has them or not is not really the point....you were right when you said it is how you raise your kids. I am willing to bet even if your children had had toy guys, they would grow up with the same attitude they have now towards real guns.

Sorry for the Off Topic input here...but the Gi Joe/gun thing started it. :tongue:

Im quite sure mine played with toy guns when at friends houses, but none are allowed in the our house, im not foolish to believe they dont touch them when away from home. they never recieved toy guns as presents. despite this they have grown up 100% "normal" (if there is such a thing) which i always believed they would. i dotn stoop them playing computer games where they use guns, as thats virtual, they dont physically hold a actual gun in their hand.

Have they looked for the 666 on her head?

LOL. I know I shouldn't laugh but that is exactly what my father said!

She seems pretty dam scary!I'm not sure if they should get rid of the doll as you don't really know how she'll take it if she is mentally disturbed.

I'm sure she would find something else if they take the doll away. But even worst, by doing this they would be sending the wrong signals, I mean, they would be making a clear statment that there's nothing wrong with her (which is obviously not true) therefore the doll should take the blame ...
In any case, her parents are useless. For them happiness = lots of valium.

Another aspect about this girl is that she feeds from other people's fear, like any respectable serial killer.

Anyway...back to the thread... Isn't it interesting how claims of haunted toys don't go to teddies or stuffed "cuggily puppies" etc...?

Oh, I've got a story about that! It comes from my cousin. When he was a child he used to sleep with a teddy bear, and he told me once that his teddy bear was forcing him to dream the same thing as he would do. Now, the problem was that the teddy bear only had terrible scary nightmares and therefore my cousin had to have them too.
Knowing my cousing though, I doubt there's any truth on this ... :?

I remember he came once to spend the day with us, and after lunch mum forced us to take a nap :x Anyway, he was sent to my room to sleep, and my mum would take in with her and dad. Two hours later I was allowed out to play. I went to my bedroom looking for my cousin but he was not there, instead I found him in the living room. When I asked him why did he not stay on my room until nap time was over his reply was: - "Because your toys wouldn't stop moving around the room on their own, and I was scared! I didn't want to be there alone! "

Again, I don't fully believe his stories. He's not a very reliable source of information ... He even told me once that he found his mum's washing machine praying???!!! :shock: :eek!!!!:

So, two questions, a) how old is your cousin? and b) what was the machine doing that made it seem like"praying"

So, two questions, a) how old is your cousin? and b) what was the machine doing that made it seem like"praying"

a) he was less than 10 when he came up with those stories.
b) he said he heard a monotone voice coming from the place where the washing machine was, and when he went there to investigate (yeah, right ... as if my cousin would go to investigate events of a spooky nature, and all alone!!!) he found no one but the washing machine. The voice he heard was coming from it, and it was a prayer what he heard being spoken.

Erm, in all defense of dolls... I had lots of dolls growing up (including many Barbies!) and I'm quite sure it didn't damage me in any way, shape or form. It didn't make me want to become a "happy housewife" when I grew up, nor did I ever think that Barbie was the image of a "perfect" woman and that I should look like that. Actually, I'm nearly the total opposite of all that is Barbie.

And here I am, 19, and I'm STILL buying dolls and various other toys! :roll: (Including my posessed doll...)

It seems everyone likes to blame the child's toys for the problems, when really there are about a million other factors that weigh in far more than a plastic plaything. I guess I just get a little bent out of shape when this stuff comes up because I'm considering a future job in designing toys...

I hereby nominate the praying washing machine as an instant Fortean classic of high strangeness.

This is not the thread to read before bedtime. :? I once got rather freaked out when staying at my brother's house, in the guest bedroom. There was a shelf on the wall opposite the bed which had one of those velvet-swathed porcelain dolls and a stuffed dog. Twice while I was reading in bed the dog came flying off the shelf and onto the floor. It didn't drop directly down, it came TOWARD the bed. I swear that evil doll cuffed it towards me.

(yeah, yeah, I know, it was probably the vibrations from bro or his wife or their dog walking around upstairs but it still didn't make for an easy night :shock: )

religious appliances

Concerning the "praying washing machine"..........

Did this kid have particularly religious parents? And what about the drier? I'm really curious to know if any of this other electrical appliances acted up. And I wonder....if a washing machine were to pray, to whom would it do so..? The great Spin Cycle in the sky?

Suddenly I like my washing machine a whole lot more now. :roll: [/quote]

I hereby nominate the praying washing machine as an instant Fortean classic of high strangeness.

LOL. I'll tell my cousin, I'm sure he'll be proud!!!! :D

Pentecost, my aunt and uncle are religious people of a "normal" standard (not the oppresive type who run after you with bibles and crosses as if you were a vampire!) My uncle though, well to be honest I think he didn't really care too much about church and praying ... My aunt was much more serious about it.
They had no drier. And as far as we've known the only one concerned about its soul was the washing machine. ;)
The voice he heard was that of a male, and the prayer being uttered a roman catholic one (sorry, I don't remember what it was called ... )

It just keeps me thinking, how damned must we be if even washing machines need to pray!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :?

Breezilla, I wish you best of lucks on designing toys! I could not imagine what my childhood would have been without them and my little animals!!!! :D

spillage said:
Also...they are inanimate representations of animate sentient beings, which is quite odd when you think about it that way.

"Dolls" can get quite a personality, especially if you make them yourself. When I was 12/13 years old I got my hands on Jung's autobiography. In it he describes how as a child he cut out a "person" from a piece of wood and hid it in a "secret" box.

I was inspired by that story to try it myself, so I found an old plank (I guess 20*30*100 cm) and using an axe, hammer and chisel I proceeded to make an "african idol" thingy from it. (* see note).

I did this in the garage and it took me several days. During this process I became a bit scared of the thing, because it got more and more of a personality. And that personality was not friendly, with the staring (hole) eyes and the horizontal (slit) mouth. Most likely this was autosuggestion and an overactive phantasy (who reads Jung at THAT age anyway ...). Still I found the effect fascinating, and I was disappointed when my parents removed the piece of wood. (I think that they re-used in the garden, like a fence-post or something banal like that ...)

(*) Note: As I write it I'm surprised that I was so handy at that age, nowadays I'm totally unable to do anything manual and have a great fear of even hanging up paintings. It's boring the hole in the wall that scares me, they're never exactly on the "X", always crooked and much bigger than they should be ... :?

The hubby told me about a doll his sister had. It did nothing fortean but it was a 3 ft high clown that when wound up would walk across the floor and perform forward rolls. Does it need to do anything more!!!

When I went to college I met a girl that I had been friend with when I was very young. We had gone to differnt primary and secondary schools but our parents were friends. I hadn't really spoken to her much after the age of 6 or 7.
When we 're-met' we were 17. She told me that she stopped coming to my house because one of my toys frighted her so much. My bed room had a long shelf where all my toys lived. This girl was staying over and sleeping on a mattress on the floor opposite this shelf. One of the toys was a fisher price toy car with a clown in it. When switched on the car would run across the floor playing a tune and with the clowns head rotating. In the middle of the night it started and came running over the floor toward my friend. She started crying and my mum came in and turned it off.
I had no memory of this and mentioned it to my mother who told me that it would start up most nights but I would never wake up. The noise would wake her and she'd have to come in. She got fed up with this and took the batteries out..................and yes you've guessed it, it didn't stop!!!! I think it ended up in the bin!!

does anyone remember this nonense about the smurfs?

Satanic rumors
During 1983, rumors of the Smurfs' Satanic activities spread across Puerto Rico. Those who believed the theory claimed seeing Smurfs below plants in their houses, next to their beds, dressed as the devil, etc. As Telemundo Puerto Rico had just begun to telecast Smurfs programs that year, a possibility exists that a rival television channel started the rumors.
The rumors spread like wildfire through the religiously conservative Latin America, where people went so far as to claim that small, demon-like Smurfs propagated through their recorded albums and attacked those who would play their music. This was very much in tune with the prevalent belief of the 1980s of satanic propagation through recorded music, as many rock bands made open references to satanism in their work.
Shortly thereafter in the United States various conservative Christian groups also began to label the Smurfs as "Satanic" -- due to the positive light in which their activities portrayed the use of magic and of sorcery.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smurfs#Satanic_rumors

The Smurfs were at their peak during the mid-'80s and characters such as the evil wizard Gargamel and his cat Azrael, Papa Smurf, Smurfette, Brainy, Grouchy, Baker, and Handy became icons in their own right. Rumors sprung during this time that Smurfs were satanic, despite the release of a Christmas album containing some daringly Christian messages. The Smurfs craze lasted for an entire decade and even though the stories spread in new directions with new characters (Grandpa and Nanny, Sassette, Nat, Snappy, Slouchy, and Baby Smurf), the peak was over and the series ended. In an attempt to bring the Smurfs back into view, a talking Baby Smurf doll was released in the early '90s. Instead of finding a renewed popularity, doll was yanked off the shelves due to the fact that its muddled voice appeared to be saying vulgarities (this did not help the rumors of Satanism).

source: http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/smurfs/bio.jhtml

I remember that it hit us late 80's/early 90's. It was simply awful. Children where terrified by smurf toys thanks to the deeds of stupid adults. I will never understand how can anyone so irresponsibly enjoy the mere thought of a terrified and suffering child. I remember I was on a birthday party once, we were in total about 30 kids between 10 and 12. Someone came in with a smurf accessory or toy (can't remember exactly) and suddenly you had all those 30 kids running away from the house screaming in panic. Now, if you have to be responsible for 30 panicking children jumping in front of cars trying to escape from a wee doll on a Saturday afternoon, well ... I bet you would not enjoy these sort of stupid hoaxes neither. :x :grrr: :furious:

I loved the Smurfs when I was a kid! Had lots of smurf toys. I never heard anything about it, although I'm not surprised considering the controversy around Harry Potter. :roll:

Biablina said:
does anyone remember this nonense about the smurfs?

Didn't the whole "satanic" rumors go around with a bunch of kids' stuff in the 80's? Granted, not to the extent of the Smurfs, but... I recall my parents having a book somewhere called "The Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow" that was full of crazy paranoid ideas, and one particular chapter listed just about every popular cartoon or toy of the 80's having some satanic connection.

Obviously, my parents either didn't read this or just thought it was BS. :D But I do remember it. It is a bit odd how fantasy and magic was so prevalent in toys and cartoons during that time, and then it just sort of stopped until Harry Potter came along.

Or maybe I'm crazy, and this only happened in my head. Either way, the whole Smurf ordeal you described is awful. :(

----

In regards to uair01's post... Brr. Creepy. It IS odd how these inanimate objects take on personalities after a while. I have seen dolls with "dead" eyes, but the few glass-eyed dolls I have just don't have that dead look to them. Not in a bad way, mind you, but they just don't look as comatose as others...

I wonder if the Care Bears were said to be satanic... :?

RainyOcean said:
I wonder if the Care Bears were said to be satanic... :?

Can't remember. (I'll have to look it up. They SHOULDN'T be!)
I know My Little Ponies and He-Man were, though, and I do recall Smurfs. Oh, and D&D, of course. :roll:

I have a friend who can't bear the sight of my little ponies because she thinks they look like barbara streisand .

tnickens003.jpg

mlpapplehk.jpg

possibly, possibly....

Back