• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dreaming Of The Dead

Had dreams like that myself, where I'm telling the person they're dead but they're not having it. The discussion can become quite heated and the deceased never back down on it.

He never said a word, just stood there staring at me.

I never expected myself to know about it being right or wrong about the whole coming back from the dead thing. I was totally convinced though.

When I dream of meeting a dead relative, normally we both eventually realise they are dead and it is a dream, but we just carry on and pretend everything is normal. Occasionally I have quizzed them about being dead but as soon as this is vocalised the dream swiftly ends. I still dream regularly of a friend who died over twenty years ago and as others have said it feels like he is paying me a visit to see how I am. Often the appearance of a dead friend or relation seems quite separate and distinct from the rest of the dream I am having.

Odd, as ive doubtless said previously on here, when my dead appear in my dreams they never feel like "visitations" at all..their being dead is never referenced or thought about, they're just regular participants in the dream story like they would be if they were alive.

i still dream about my mum, she died in 1974, in the last dream about 12 months ago, she told me the first thing you need to do after you die. Honestly this is true. I need to open a bank account sort of thing, and deposit all the good things that you have done in your life into it because those are the important things that need to be carried forward.

i still dream about my mum, she died in 1974, in the last dream about 12 months ago, she told me the first thing you need to do after you die. Honestly this is true. I need to open a bank account sort of thing, and deposit all the good things that you have done in your life into it because those are the important things that need to be carried forward.
Dotty, how do we open this bank account???

Ohhh bless you, it’s A very sad timel. I shall say a pray for you it that’s ok? It’s almost 4 years since my dad died and my best dream of him is his smiling expression, very merry on a photo taken at my brothers wedding, it was my fav pic of him, and yet I only really saw that photo at his 80th birthday party years later (another family member brought her photos to the party) he was well into the grips of dementia by then and would not have comprehended that I loved that vision of him.

I just want to jump in here and say my heart goes out to you, Scribbles, and to everyone else here who is suffering from the loss of a loved one. I just read through the whole thread from the very beginning and found so much that was touching and insightful and helpful to me when thinking of my own dreams. So thank you to everyone who contributed!

I feel a bit jealous really, I've never dreamt of anyone I've lost.
I wonder if thinking about someone you lost in a meditative frame of mind before you go to sleep would help you have dreams about that person...Personally. I've never been particularly good at 'programming' my own dreams, but I've known people who can do that pretty well.

It's not that I haven't thought about them, but the only dreams I've had about people have been about ones who are still alive, just set in another time.

I just want to jump in here and say my heart goes out to you, Scribbles, and to everyone else here who is suffering from the loss of a loved one. I just read through the whole thread from the very beginning and found so much that was touching and insightful and helpful to me when thinking of my own dreams. So thank you to everyone who contributed!

This is not the only thread we have on the subject. There's at least one other, called something like 'Odd Dreams of the Dead' where people have posted about their more quirky dreams, and there may be one mainly about deceased family members.

People aren't directed to one or the other by content; there just happened to be more than one approach. I'm sure you'll enjoy further reading!

This is not the only thread we have on the subject. There's at least one other, called something like 'Odd Dreams of the Dead' where people have posted about their more quirky dreams, and there may be one mainly about deceased family members.

People aren't directed to one or the other by content; there just happened to be more than one approach. I'm sure you'll enjoy further reading!
Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out.

When I dream of my deceased parents, I usually come to realise that they are dead and it's only a dream whilst I'm dreaming. Sometimes I tell them this, whereupon they smile at me, a very strange and particular smile. It's happened a few times, when I've become lucid in a dream and tried to tell other dream-participants that it's only a dream, and it's a smile I've never seen on anyone in 'real' life.

Haven't dreamed of either of them for a while.

oh, shit. Following this logic through. Given some of the things I've pulled when younger and more stupid. I'll be way over my overdraft limit. My credit cards will be maxed out - and I'll have defaulted on repayments. I should look forward to the postmortem equivalent of CCJ's, credit blacklisting, and so forth. Is this where the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory comes from - entering a voluntary agreement to repay, only to be allowed credit and a bank account again only when creditors are satisfied or the debt is discharged... (There's a novel out there, one of Tom Holt's, I think, where God is bought out by a multi-universal and capitalism is applied to religion... a world where, as everything has a cash value, people buy Salvation or default and go to Hell...)

Got it: the novel by Tom Holt that converts ethical values into cash values and allocates punsihment and reward accordingly: from Wikepedia: The Management Style of the Supreme Beings (2017), "God and his oldest son Jay sell Earth to the Venturi brothers, leaving behind younger son Kevin, all the archangels, and Santa Claus".

Have fun! There are other similar threads so I'll post those too as I come across them. For example we have one on robins as messengers from the dead.

These are all fascinating topics and for those of us who (are lucky to?) have experienced such dreams, interesting to see a common thread in so much they they do seem just that little more realistic and memorable than your typical nightly dreaming.
I absolutely believe that those close to us who've passed do contact us (or at least attempt to) through our dreams. On the occasions it's happened to me, I have always awoken with a sense that something unusual and not quite right has occurred through the night.

When I was about 15 weeks pregnant with my first child I dreamt of my nan, who had died some years earlier . She was standing behind the gate of a small garden by a typical picture book cottage holding a baby- the cottage itself was strange as nan had lived in London in basically upgraded slums all her life not ever having had an indoor bathroom or loo. She showed me the baby and told me it was a girl so I couldn't have it as I couldn't have girls , she told me to say goodbye and go back.
3 days later I was told my baby had died in utero . In all I lost 5 pregnancies but do have 3 sons now, I don't know the gender of any of the babies that I lost.

I assume that in some ways with that first pregnancy I must have known something was wrong and my mind told me by way of the dream . What I can't work out though is why I put nan in a country cottage , a completely wrong place for her unless that was my subconscious making it 'nice' for me.

... What I can't work out though is why I put nan in a country cottage , a completely wrong place for her unless that was my subconscious making it 'nice' for me.

Dream settings and elements are often quite indirect or metaphorical reflections of things that are current / known / important in waking life.

Your nan had passed on. The country cottage may have been a metaphorical projection of a 'better' place to which she'd gone. This interpretation is reinforced by her holding a baby which had followed - or was soon to follow - your nan to the 'other side'.

Going further out on the limb ... I suspect the most critical 'subconscious' influence was your having sensed that first fetus was failing or even that it had already probably failed.

Last edited:
Back