• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
New York police say sorry with cheesecake to pensioners
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8577579.stm

Rose and Walter Martin's home in Brooklyn, New York
The Martins live in a quiet Brooklyn neighbourhood

New York's police chief has delivered a cheesecake to an elderly couple in Brooklyn, to apologise for dozens of mistaken police visits to their home.

A computer glitch had led officers to Walter and Rose Martin's home 50 times in the past eight years, police said.

The latest intrusion came on Tuesday, with officers pounding on the front and back doors, shouting "Police, open up!"

Thursday's visit - cheesecake in hand - went well. The Martins, aged 82 and 83, shared pictures of their grandchildren.

New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly visited the couple's modest home on Friday to "apologise and explain" for the mix-up, NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne told the Associated Press.

The problem started in 2002, when the Martin's home address was used as "test data" for a new computer crime-tracking system.

The couple complained about the harrowing visits in 2007, but the data remained in the system despite efforts to "purge the records", Deputy Commissioner Browne said.

He added that the Martin's address had now been flagged with alerts "barring officers" from questioning the octogenarians.

Police ‘burglaries’ on students backfire with trespass accusation
Simon de Bruxelles

The intruders entered through an unlocked door and helped themselves to whatever valuables they could find, including laptops, mobile telephones and MP3 players. So far, an everyday misfortune for dozens of householders across Britain.

What made this series of burglaries in Exeter remarkable is that the police had no difficulty identifying the culprits: they were doing it themselves. :shock:

The operation, in a student quarter, was intended to draw homeowners’ attention to their lack of security. All the goods gathered up during the simulated burglaries were left on the kitchen table in a bag labelled “swag”, along with a note advising the owners to be more careful in future. About 50 homes were entered, sometimes while their occupants were upstairs.

The burglary initiative was launched in the St James area, where many of the large houses are in multiple occupation by students. A team of 16 uniformed police and community support officers carried out the “burglaries”, having let themselves in through unlocked communal doorways.

PC Rob Bolt, the neighbourhood beat manager, said: “We were expecting to find some insecure properties but were amazed by the number that were identified. Neighbourhood officers are trying to find new ways to try to encourage members of the public to keep their homes secure.

“While we do not want to create an atmosphere of fear, it is important that occupants are aware that most burglaries occur through insecure windows and doors. Even if you are in the house, a burglar will still seize the opportunity to open your door and see if anything is in view.”

Sergeant Andy Nordqvist said officers were “very careful” to ensure that no criminal offences were committed.

But Neil Scott, from Foot Anstey, a firm of solicitors, said police officers had no automatic right to enter a property.

He said: “I have never heard of anything like this before. Police need a warrant unless they believe an offence is being committed. With regard to this initiative, they neither had a warrant nor were they dealing with an offence.”

The officers were trespassing, which is a civil rather than a criminal offence, but could still be the subject of court action. Mr Scott added: “Everyone is entitled to defend their property from intruders. Conceivably, an officer could have been attacked. If the police then tried to prosecute this as assaulting a police officer, the homeowner would have a strong legal defence.”

A spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers said: “It is a local operational matter but I am pretty sure they won’t be doing it again.”

Devon and Cornwall Police said there had been a spate of burglaries in the area. A spokesman said: “We are going to put our hands up. This was carried out with the best of intentions, however, we do accept that entering properties to leave the bags could be deemed as trespass. This was a one-off that we will not be repeating.” :oops:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 080545.ece

A young lass i worked with was telling me a month or so back about how she'd got up to answer a knock on her bedroom door at 4am and found a PCSO on the landing. Prob. one of the guys she shared the house with had forgotten to lock the back door.

Better than a burglar i guess, but someone's going to get bashed sooner or later if they keep that up :(

BlackRiverFalls said:
A young lass i worked with was telling me a month or so back about how she'd got up to answer a knock on her bedroom door at 4am and found a PCSO on the landing. Prob. one of the guys she shared the house with had forgotten to lock the back door.

Better than a burglar i guess, but someone's going to get bashed sooner or later if they keep that up :(
If I come across an insecure property when patrolling at night, I'll attempt to alert the occupants to the insecurity by knocking on the door and ringing the bell. If I get no response, I'll enter the property because I have "cause for concern". A large proportion of burglaries are undertaken by entering through open front doors, and it's better to be woken by a concerned Police Officer that by an intruder holding a knife to your throat (as happened to one of my local residents recently - an elderly lady in her nineties). Can you imagine the hooha if I had just walked by, or closed the door myself and shut the occupants in with their intruders?
BTW, the Police operation in Exeter was ill conceived and naive, but I've had the miserable duty of speaking with many student victims of crime who have had their laptops pinched, and almost all of them have neglected to make any backups of their coursework and dissertations. Years of work down the drain :cry:

US girl sues for $1m over arrest for desk scribble

A 12-year-old US schoolgirl is suing the New York City authorities for $1m (£650,000) in damages after she was arrested for writing on her desk.

Alexa Gonzalez was led out of her school in handcuffs by police after she was caught scribbling a message to her friends with an erasable, green marker.

Miss Gonzalez and her mother are suing the police and education departments in New York City.

They are claiming for excessive use of force and violation of her rights.

Miss Gonzalez was caught scribbling "I love my friends Abby and Faith" on her desk during a Spanish class in February.

The 12-year-old said her Spanish teacher then "dragged" her to the dean's office where police were called.

Miss Gonzalez told the New York Daily News she broke down as she was led out of Junior High School 190 in Queens in handcuffs.

"I started crying, like, a lot," she said. "I made two little doodles... It could be easily erased. To put handcuffs on me is unnecessary."

She said she was then held at a local school precinct for hours in what she calls a traumatising and excessive ordeal.

New York City officials have acknowledged the arrest was a mistake, saying better judgement should have been used by the arresting officers.

Miss Gonzalez was suspended from school and tried in a family court, where she was given eight hours of community service and ordered to write an essay about lessons to be learned from the incident.

Her family's lawyer said the school had overreacted by calling the police.

"We want to stop this from happening to other young children in the future," the lawyer, Joseph Rosenthal, told the New York Daily News.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8602327.stm

That reminds me of when I was at junior school, back in the early Sixties. We all got new desks, and I was idly scribbling away on the grey plastic trim with my pencil while the teacher was talking. As far as I could see the pencil was making no mark on the grey plastic.

Suddenly one of the girls stood up and whispered something to the teacher, who beetled over and hauled me out of my seat. As I stood up I could see that I'd actually scribbled black pencil marks all over the new trim- marks which were invisible while I was sitting down. With the benefit of hindsight I now realise that the specular reflection of the graphite was the same shade as the grey plastic, so I couldn't see it while sitting.

I don't remember what punishment I got, to be honest, (in those days they used to hit you smartly with a ruler) but I do remember my surprise and feelings of injustice. Of course I was gulity as charged- but I didn't know that I was until I stood up.

And the fact that this young lass snitched on me has always rankled a bit, too. I must have missed the part where the teacher asked for official class informers...

If the teacher had called in the plod I would have been mentally scarred for life.

That should be in the wtf thread.

If you'd been nicking kids for that when i was at school, there'd have been 16 empty classrooms and a very full jail :roll:

This is also a bit WTF...

Shopkeeper who asked PC for help as he chased thieves is told: 'You had better call the police'
By Jaya Narain
Last updated at 12:27 AM on 06th April 2010

When two thieves stole from his store and made off on foot, shopkeeper Graham Taylor gave chase.
As he pursued the thieves he encountered a policeman and asked for his help.
But he was angered and bemused when the officer told him: 'You had better call the police.'

But when Mr Taylor did call the police, the officers who were assigned to deal with the theft missed the radio call - because they were celebrating at a colleague's retirement party.

Last night senior officers launched an investigation into the incident after Mr Taylor lodged a complaint.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0kJ9sZsWj

Police prevent man's car from being stolen, by 'stealing' it :roll:

Though i guess if the process of doing that cost < what he pays to get it back, maybe they weren't that dumb after all.

I wonder if it would have been cheaper for him to have had his wallet nabbed instead :?

Police 'nick' Leeds driver's car

Luckless Marcus Morris reported his car stolen – and police admitted THEY had taken it.

West Yorkshire Police told him a window that had been left open accidentally meant the vehicle was at risk of theft.

So to be on the safe side they had taken it themselves – and left Mr Morris with a £150 recovery bill.

Mr Morris, 25, of Chapel Allerton, Leeds, said: "I couldn't believe it. No one I've mentioned it has heard of this happening. It seems outrageous.

"So what if I had left my window open? If anything had been taken then it'd have been my own fault."

Mr Morris, currently unemployed, parked his Volkswagen Polo on Lovell Park Hill, near to the city centre, while he went for a job interview on Monday. He returned an hour-and-a-half later to discover it gone.

Believing it to stolen, he contacted police who told him they had removed it to protect it from thieves.

A window had been left open, they said, and a CD wallet was in the back of the car. The vehicle had been taken to a storage facility.
When Mr Morris went to collect his car the next morning he was handed a £150 bill. He said: "I'm not working at the moment and that's a lot of money for me. It's money I don't think I should have had to pay."

West Yorkshire Police said it made no apology for taking the action.
Chief Inspector Elizabeth Belton, of North West Leeds Division, told the YEP: "Officers regularly patrol our communities looking for opportunities to prevent crime, which is exactly what has happened on this occasion.

"The vehicle was left insecure with valuables on show in an area with significant levels of car crime and we were unable to locate the owner.

"We make absolutely no apology whatsoever for the officer's actions, which have prevented this vehicle becoming a target for thieves. Had a thief got there first it would have been a very different story.

"We need people to take responsibility for their own property and leave their vehicles secure and take any valuables with them every time they park up. We hope Mr Morris's story will serve as a reminder."

The charges made for the recovery and storage of vehicles are set nationally by the Government.

Mr Morris is now taking legal advice in an attempt to recover the cost.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6327693.jp

Burglar escapes police search by hiding under bed
A man was startled by a burglar hiding beneath his bed after police officers failed to find the intruder in a search of the house.
Published: 1:20PM BST 20 Jun 2010

Adam Magee, 30, had called the police after a neighbour reported seeing a man climbing into an opened window at the house on Stockton Road, Hartlepool.

But a search of the house turned up nothing unusual, and Mr Magee climbed into his bed for the night after being assured there was no threat.

Minutes later, as he lay in darkness, he heard a rustling noise coming from below him.

Mr Magee jumped out of bed and found William Sowerby, 42, crawling out from underneath the bed. :shock:

He struggled with the intruder and wrestled him to the ground, pinning him down until the police returned.

Sowerby was jailed for three-and-a-half years at Teesside Crown Court after admitting to the May 4 burglary.

Mr Magee, an out-of-work scaffolder, said: "I was just lying there when I heard a noise to the left of me.

"I looked across and saw a guy shuffling himself out from under my bed. It was awful and I did feel a bit scared.

"It was just the shock of someone crawling from under my bed. It was all a bit surreal.

"He rushed towards me and tried to get out of the door, but I grabbed him and opened the door and we just started to wrestle."

Mr Magee said he and Sowerby were "bashing around" on the landing for three minutes until his housemate Sam Gilbert, 30, rushed downstairs to call police, who were still nearby.

Sowerby's solicitor John Ellwood told the court Sowerby, who has a 30-year record of offending, roamed the streets at night because he was unable to sleep after mixing heroin and cocaine with his prescribed medication of an antipsychotic drug.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... r-bed.html

Just as well it wasn't a mad axeman under the bed...

Mother smashed car window after locking her baby inside... because police ignored 999 call
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:36 PM on 24th June 2010

A mother who accidentally locked her baby in a hot car was forced to smash her way into the vehicle with a hammer after the emergency services failed to turn up.
Leeona Woodburn, 20, from Kendal, Cumbria, phoned 999 as soon as she realised her son Logan was trapped inside the car.
Almost thirty minutes later nobody had arrived to help her, so she grabbed a hammer from nearby National Tyres mechanic Steven Savage and smashed a rear car window.
She was able to rescue her seven-month-old son herself but he was suffering from dehydration and had to be taken to see a doctor.

Miss Woodburn said: 'I was waiting and waiting and getting really distressed. I was told a police car would be sent straight over.
'Twenty-five minutes later I called them again and this time the woman on the other end said they weren't coming at all. :shock:

'They said it was a matter for the fire service. At that point I knew I couldn't wait any longer, I thought my son was going to die.
'Thirty minutes in that situation is a lifetime. It was a baking hot day and my son was scared, crying and started to throw up he was so hot.
'By the time I got him out he was absolutely dripping with sweat. I got him to the doctor who said he was suffering from dehydration.'

Miss Woodburn said she called 999 because that was the only number she knew and she does not understand why a fire engine was not called out on her behalf.
'If the police couldn't help, why didn't they send someone else?'
Mr Savage said: 'That baby was in a bad way by the time we got to him, because he was so hot.
'You'd expect the emergency services to rush to a situation like that. We were more than happy to help by giving Miss Woodburn the tools, but I am shocked the fire service was not sent.'

Chief Inspector Gordon Rutherford, head of Cumbria police communications centre, said: 'We are extremely sorry for the distress caused to Ms Woodburn.
'I have spoken to her to offer my sincere apologies and inform her that an investigation has been launched.
'This is not an example of the high level of service that Cumbria Constabulary routinely delivers.
'I would have expected a call handler to reassure Ms Woodburn and either inform her that officers would be with her in a set period of time or contact the fire service or AA to gain entry to her vehicle.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0rrAmJlbv

I don't know anybody who would have waited thirty minutes; or would have had to. A friend of mine once locked her baby in the car while loading groceries and 911 never got called - everyone in the parking lot around her was galvanized into action, and they had the door open in under fifteen minutes. She would have gladly smashed the glass out, but it turned out not to be necessary.

Patience is not always a virtue.

Had no idea where to post this, so;

'Suspicious' finds on Wearside not dangerous

Military experts called in to assess "suspicious items" found in a Wearside house have said the items posed no risk to the public.

Police made the discovery at a Housing Association property in Moor Court, Bournmoor, Houghton le Spring, on Friday evening.

The tenant of the property was not at home when the discovery was made.

Residents living nearby were evacuated from their homes but were later allowed to return following the investigation.

A spokeswoman for Durham Police said the items were a "cause for concern" but officers could not identify them.

:?:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wear-10826648[/b]

I guess we all drop a ball sometimes, but this one is very embarrassing:

Leeds car clamp row OAP evaded siege police

A PENSIONER evaded armed police during a siege allegedly sparked when DVLA staff tried to clamp an untaxed car.

The home in Harlech Crescent, Beeston, Leeds, of Reliant Robin car enthusiast George Parlour, was sealed off for hours by police marksmen and dog handlers.

But somehow the OAP managed to escape the cordon.

Bearded Mr Parlour, described by locals as an "eccentric", is understood to have objected to a Ford Fiesta being clamped by a DVLA crew on Friday morning.

The alarm was raised by DVLA staff after they reported seeing a pistol.

About six hours after the siege began Mr Parlour, 72, was arrested in the Stanningley area of Leeds on "suspicion of being in possession of a prohibited weapon".

Mr Parlour, who neighbours said had sometimes claimed to be a barrister and court official, keeps a trio of Reliant Robins in the rundown garden of his three-storey end terrace house where he has lived for a number of years.

Police sealed off the crescent and Harlech Road which runs across the end.

Armed police trained their weapons on the house from the garden while other police negotiators attempted to talk Mr Parlour out of his house.

After about five hours officers in protective body armour and armed with taser stun guns and police dogs battered their way into the home.

But as they "cleared" the house room by room they were unable to find the pensioner.

Officers carried out a search of the house and the adjoining garden to establish whether or how Mr Parlour had fled.

At one point they discovered a broken branch in a tree at the gable end of his house which directly overlooks Cross Flatts Park.

Mr Parlour's neighbours said they were stunned to open their curtains to a police stand-off.

Doreen Fallowfield said: "We heard a lot of noise outside and saw several police cars, vans and paramedics. The police knocked on our door and told us to stay inside.

"They were talking to him through the door and at about 11am his daughter turned up to try to get him to come out. No one knew that he had probably already disappeared. No one saw a thing.

"He was always very quiet and I've never known any trouble there before. He used to sit outside with his cat sunbathing and he would go to the shops in his old car.

"I used to call him Santa Claus because he had a big white beard."

Steven Atkinson, 22, said: "We used to call him Del Boy because of his three-wheelers. But he was never any trouble, he always seemed all right."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6450305.jp

Leeds car clamp row OAP evaded siege police
Are you sure that's not the story-line for an episode of 'Last of the Summer Wine'? :D

Toronto's 'Officer Bubbles' gains web notoriety

Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned:

Toronto's 'Officer Bubbles' gains web notoriety
Arrest threat video goes viral, spawns Queen's Park protest
Published On Fri Jul 16 2010

STEVE RUSSELL/TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO

He's now known as “Officer Bubbles.”

Const. Adam Josephs has gained considerable notoriety after being caught on tape threatening to arrest a G20 protester for blowing bubbles.

In a viral Internet video, the 52 Division officer tells protester Courtney Winkels she will be arrested for assault because she is blowing bubbles in front of officers.

The video — shown on the website therealnews.com and this week on American network Fox News — shows Winkels, orange bubble wand in hand, interacting with Josephs and a female officer.

“You touch me with that bubble you're going into custody,” he tells her in a video entitled “Booked for Bubbles” that was shot June 27 near Queen St. W. and Dufferin St.

When Winkels says she doesn't feel respected by Josephs, he replies: “That's terrible. My heart bleeds.”

Winkels says she was talking with the female officer when Josephs walked over from about seven metres away — “totally out of range of the bubbles” — to stand in front of her and threaten arrest.

“I was both shocked and confused, but I complied and put the bubbles away,” Winkels said in an email. She was arrested later for an incident unrelated to the bubbles, and has been charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offence.

“Officer Bubbles” was also the subject of a handful of blogs and Facebook groups reporting that his Facebook profile made a derogatory statement about the public he serves as a Toronto police officer.

As of Friday morning, Josephs' Facebook profile had been made private.

Insp. Anil Anand with the Toronto police public information unit said Friday he had heard rumours about offensive comments in the officer's personal profile, but said he is not aware of a formal complaint being filed.

“If someone was offended by that, they are more than welcome to file a complaint and we can have a look at it within the context of somebody filing an actual complaint,” he said.

When contacted, Josephs hung up on a Star reporter.

The G20 bubbles incident has also spurred a YouTube cartoon, called “Officer Bubbles.”

In it, a beefed-up police officer in sunglasses threatens to arrest a woman for dancing in the streets. The video ends with a joke that the next episode will feature Officer Bubbles shooting a kitten stuck in a tree.

Meanwhile, it's BYOB at Queen's Park Saturday — that is, bring your own bubbles.

A few hundred protesters are expected to blow bubbles en masse at noon to show support for a public inquiry into police actions during the G20.

Winkels hopes to attend.

“We wanted to have an event that would be fun and creative,” says Valentyna Onisko, a 21-year-old student and organizer of the event, which precedes a civil liberties rally.

Although she said a formal invitation to blow bubbles has not been extended to Josephs, he is more than welcome to attend, bubble wand in hand.

Article

Officer Bubbles - Youtube

That had me thinking of Bioshock Vardodger, "Mister Bubbles!"

Follow up on the 72 year old guy who evaded armed police, they had the helicopter out after him:

Leeds car siege OAP detained under Mental Health Act

A pensioner arrested after a siege by armed police at a house in Leeds has been detained under the powers of the Mental Health Act.
The 72-year-old man was arrested in the Stanningley area of Leeds on Friday afternoon following a lengthy stake out of a house in Harlech Crescent, Beeston, on suspicion of being in possession of an offensive weapon.

Armed officers in body armour some equipped with taser stun guns and accompanied by tracker dogs sealed off the terrace house and garden shortly after breakfast time after DVLA staff attempted to clamp an untaxed car were confronted and saw a pistol.

A lengthy stand-off ensued during which police negotiators attempted to talk to a male resident at the house who stores three-wheel Reliant Robin cars in the garden and also has a Ford Fiesta.

When officers finally forced an entry into the house they were unable to locate the householder and the West Yorkshire Police helicopter was scrambled to scour the district from the air. The search was called off when the 72-year-old was arrested.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6450305.jp

This is a sort of two-level 'dumb cop' story. At one level, the Manila police admit they handled a hostage situation badly. But at another level, what made a dismissed police officer think he could get his job back by committing a crime? :shock:

Manila police admit bungling deadly bus siege

Philippine police have admitted they did not have the skills, equipment or training to handle Monday's bus siege, in which eight Hong Kong tourists were killed after being taken hostage.

The force said talks with the gunman had been handled poorly, and relations with the media had broken down.

Security experts, survivors and Chinese officials have all criticised the Philippine authorities.

The hostage drama came to an end when police marksmen killed the gunman.

He was identified as 55-year-old Rolando Mendoza, a former policeman who had seized the bus in a desperate bid to get his job back. :?

In a statement, police spokesman Senior Superintendent Agrimero Cruz listed a number of shortcomings in the police's handling of the situation.

Among them were "inadequate capability, skills, equipment and planning of the assault team" and "inadequate training and competence of assault team leader".

He also said another problem was "non-compliance to media relations procedures in hostage situations".

Police believe the hostage-taker was monitoring TV coverage from inside the bus, which contributed to his agitation as the crisis came to a head.

He was also able to conduct an interview with a local radio station during the siege, and warned the police that he would kill the hostages if they did not pull back.

In an interview with the Philippine Inquirer, Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo admitted that mistakes had been made.

"We recognise that we lack equipment; we could have been better trained, better equipped and there should have been better response," he told the newspaper.

Buddhist monks led prayers for the victims in Manila on Tuesday, while angry demonstrators converged on the Philippine embassy in Hong Kong.

The Philippines has promised a thorough investigation and is sending a delegation to Hong Kong to explain what happened.

Of 25 people initially taken hostage, nine were freed after initial negotiations. The UK Foreign Office said two of them were British nationals.

The Philippine driver then fled the bus, leaving 15 people on board with the gunman until the end of the siege.

Unconfirmed reports say at least one of the dead was a dual Chinese-Canadian citizen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11076735

'Ello, 'ello, 'ello, what's going on 'ere then? Passerby spots fleet of police cars illegally parked
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:37 AM on 29th August 2010

Where is a traffic warden when you need one? This dramatic picture shows an entire fleet of cop cars parked illegally on double yellow lines.
A passer-by spotted the marked Greater Manchester Police vans and cars at the side of Collyhurt police station in Manchester.

Bosses at GMP have now ordered an investigation into why the vehicles were parked illegally on Peary Street earlier this month.

The onlooker, who wants to remain anonymous, has hit out at those responsible saying: 'Why is it one rule for them and another for us?'

It is understood officers were attending a midday briefing at the station after a shooting incident.
But Chief Inspector Dean Stott said they would be looking into what had happened.
He said: 'All GMP members of staff are reminded of their responsibilities when they are parking police vehicles. It not acceptable for any member of staff to park on double yellow lines unless it is an officer responding to an emergency.

'We are examining the circumstances surrounding this case and ensuring all police staff and officers are advised with regard to their responsibilities when parking their vehicles.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0xzSVHjZK

A strange story all round:

Bomb team called in after arms hoard found by woman digging in allotment
A bomb disposal squad was summoned after a librarian unearthed a massive arsenal of weapons in her allotment.
By Nick Collins
Published: 7:30AM BST 09 Sep 2010

Joanne Radley, 39, began digging in the patch belonging to a fellow gardener after he agreed to share it with her, on the condition that she did not dig too deep.

The man told the mother that he had buried his dead pet dog there, but as she turned over the soil with her daughter, Mrs Radley discovered a gun buried beneath the earth. :shock:

Mrs Radley, from Liverpool, notified police and officers inspected the allotment, turning up three more guns, before telling her it was safe to return.

But in the following month Mrs Radley continued to dig up further weaponry, turning up a handgun, parts of guns, boxes of bullets and magazines of ammunition, a flare gun and a shotgun silencer along with mysterious powders and chemicals within four weeks.

Mrs Radley said she was forced to take the cache to the police station because police appeared reluctant to take her complaints seriously.

She said: "They weren't doing anything about it. I rang the bell and left it on the counter and said, 'you can have this'.

"They arranged for the allotment to be searched and they found more guns, more bullets and a silencer for a shotgun and this powder and they didn't know what it was.

"But the allotment committee were sent a bill for about £2,000 for the removal of the chemicals, including cyanide." :shock:

A police bomb squad was called in to seal off the area and evacuate residents from a block of flats, which included the property belonging to the allotment owner.

Police searching the flat of a 60 year old man found three 500ml bottles filled with an unknown liquid, which is being tested by experts.

The man has been arrested and is being questioned by officers.

Det Supt Richie Davies of Matrix, explaining the need for bomb disposal and chemical experts, said: "We have to establish whether they are precursor chemicals for explosives. But we do not believe that they are, and we do not believe they are dangerous."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... tment.html

'Hell' of Stoke Asbo witness woman named by police
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-11404848

The name was left on statements The force said its procedures had since changed

A woman has criticised police after they accidentally revealed her identity to neighbours she had reported for anti-social behaviour.

The 61-year-old said the family put her "through hell" after they saw her name on police statements.

The woman, who does not wish to be named, was given police protection and had to move away from her home in Fegg Hayes, Stoke-on-Trent.

Staffordshire Police admitted the "highly regrettable error".

A spokesman for the force said her evidence had been "instrumental" in officers obtaining a Closure Order against the neighbours involved and they were immediately forced out of their property.

The witness, whose son is a police officer, said the family involved began a "vendetta" against her and her husband after she took tea and coffee to officers who called at the street on a cold January day.

"I had my car sabotaged and they kicked in my fence," she said.
'Lost everything'

However, she said the situation worsened after she reported their behaviour to police and her name was mistakenly left on statements the family saw in the course of proceedings against them.

She said she was the only person who had come forward to stand up against the troublemakers.

"The family knew who I was - it was actually proven in black and white," she said.

She said after that the situation was terrible.

"The perpetrators put me through hell. They chased me through traffic lights in my vehicle and I went through a red light," she said.

"And when I went to see a friend a few doors down the road to have a cup of tea they stood outside the front door and chanted and called me names - then stalked me back to my house."

The woman said at first the force provided protection in her home with hourly visits and a 24-hour camera, but she eventually had to leave the area.

The woman said she was put up in a hotel, and then a series of rented houses which were inadequate.

"I feel as though I've lost everything, I've lost my really true friends I had here," she said.
'Isolated case'

Staffordshire Police said it took anti-social behaviour very seriously.

"We fully understand that certain witnesses will only assist the police on the basis of their anonymity being maintained, and very much hope that this isolated case will not deter other victims from coming forward," a spokesman said.

He said the error was made by the force's legal services unit.

"Systems are now in place to ensure that documents are fully redacted when necessary," he added.

He confirmed the force had "provided significant support" to the woman after the disclosure, but would not give details.

He added the force had paid out damages following legal proceedings against it which were resolved in April.

Cop v. cops! :D

Where have all the police gone? THREE officers turn out to arrest PC involved in parking dispute with ex-superintendent neighbour
By James Tozer
Last updated at 10:52 PM on 27th October 2010

It was not, it has to be said, one of the police’s finest hours.

A traffic officer ended up arrested outside his own home by a squad of three of his colleagues… who had swooped on the address after a neighbour complained about nothing more than the way his car was parked.

Unfortunately for traffic cop Roderick Lund his neighbour happened to be one of the constabulary’s retired superintendents, Anthony Green.

The three-man parking squad began using tape measures and chalk to ascertain exactly where PC Lund’s Range Rover was, relative to the entrance to Mr Green’s driveway.
When PC Lund refused to move his 4x4 with its personalised number plate, he was arrested for obstructing the police. :shock:

The farcical episode only ended yesterday when it emerged that PC Lund, 40, has won £5,000 in damages from his own force. The climbdown came after video footage showed that his Range Rover – parked in the road in front of his house – wasn’t overlapping his neighbour’s drive.

The police descended on the road in the village of Catterall in Lancashire last October when Mr Green complained he couldn’t get on his driveway.
He said the narrow road meant it was impossible to drive his outsized American-built Dodge Nitro truck on to his property without mounting the kerb.

Three officers arrived led by Inspector Dave Vickers, and – prudently, as it turned out – PC Lund began filming what unfolded with his video camera.

PC Lund – who is married with three step-children – is recorded complaining he’d be breaking the law if he moved the vehicle, saying: ‘I can’t move it, I had a drink last night.’ With the camera continuing to point at his senior colleague, Inspector Vickers tells him: ‘I’m warning you now, you will be arrested for police obstruction if you continue to do that.’

The constable then retorts ‘Go for it then’ at which the inspector begins reading him his rights as he pleads: ‘I’m not being aggressive - how is this aggressive?’ After being led away in handcuffs, PC Lund was taken to a police station in Morecambe, put in a cell and detained for ten hours before being released on bail.

The other police officers all knew he was a member of the Lancashire Constabulary’s traffic division. Mr Lund feared that the incident could lead to charges, so he began legal action against Lancashire Constabulary for unlawful arrest, false imprisonment and using unreasonable force. In an out-of-court settlement he was awarded £5,000. 8)

His solicitor Rex Makin said his client had been humiliated by the officers who visited his home and suffered severe anxiety following his arrest.
He added: ‘It’s a real shocker of a case that demonstrates precisely how police should not conduct themselves.’

Neither PC Lund nor Mr Green was available for comment last night, but a neighbour said: ‘They’ve been arguing over parking for ages, it’s been the talk of the street.
‘As a retired superintendent it seems Anthony tried to pull rank on him, but it turned out to be rather an expensive mistake.’

Lancashire police refused to comment.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z13e10utaL

They do keep getting false positives with their infra red kit, so far they've raided a PCSO with bad loft insulation, a guy with a kiln in his shed, and now a lady with pamphered guinea pigs!

Officers swoop on suspected cannabis factory and only find guinea pigs

Embarrassed police have issued an apology to a mum after officers swooped on her house thinking she had turned it into a cannabis factory and found an electric heater for her two guinea pigs.
A swarm of six officers, in three vehicles, rushed to Pam Hardcastle's home and the 42-year-old was shocked to receive a call from her mother telling her the police were asking her to return from work.

The officers had been alerted when a police helicopter picked up a hotspot on the roof of Pam's garage and assumed it was a drug's den, when in fact it was a cosy home for her loveable pets.

Pam, a primary school learning mentor, was forced to return home to Bradford after officers from West Yorkshire Police obtained a search
warrant and mounted a raid when they thought they had uncovered a specialist heating system designed to grow cannabis.

She explained: "The officer said they wanted me to go home. He said my garage lit up when the police helicopter was out and they believed I could be growing cannabis. He said they had a warrant and they wanted to search my premises.

"It was unbelievable. My mum told them I had guinea pigs in the garage and would have a heater in there to keep them warm. But they cut a bolt off my neighbour's gate to gain entry.

"My neighbours told me police were everywhere. Everybody was asking what I had done wrong. It is embarrassing."

The two guinea pigs, Simon and Kenny, belonging to Pam's 10-year-old son Jack, had lived in her garage for three months and she had put the heater inside because she was concerned they would get cold.

She said: "I have no criminal record. I haven't even got an unpaid bill. I told the police I was squeaky clean and they said they knew, but they wanted to look in the garage.

"When I opened it up and they saw the guinea pigs, they didn't say anything.
They were in the garage two seconds and they left. People are now wondering
what I've been up to, it's like I've been branded a drug dealer.

"I have contacted a solicitor because I am concerned I might now have a
criminal record. I am worried that this would come up on a CIB check if I went for another job. People think there's no smoke without fire."

Neighbourhood Policing Team Inspector Darren Brown said: "The majority of operations of this nature are intelligence-based and often rely upon swift action.

"Due to the location of the garage, we could not make further observations without alerting the occupants. On this occasion, it transpired that the significant heat source coming from the property was not connected to the production of cannabis.

"Officers who attended explained the full circumstances to the occupant and discussed any damage. I would like to apologise for the distress this may have caused. However, I would point out that these tactics are essential in tackling drugs across the district.

"I can also reassure the occupants that their details will not be kept on police records and I will be personally visiting them to discuss any concerns they may have."

Pam said that a police inspector had now visited her to issue an apology in person and the police had bought a new lock for the neighbour's gate.

Yorkshire Evening Pest

The police who are afraid of the dark: Park plagued by young yobs won't be patrolled after 8pm 'because the officers can't see what's going on'
By Andrew Levy
Last updated at 7:24 AM on 28th January 2011

In the line of duty, police officers routinely risk life and limb in all sorts of dangerous situations to protect and serve.
So patrolling an area plagued by teenage yobs should be child’s play by comparison.
But constables and PCSOs have been banned from keeping the peace at an adventure playground at night because it is considered dark and dangerous. :shock:

A senior officer told stunned councillors there would be no patrols after 8pm at newly-built Waterlees Park in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, for health and safety reasons.

‘The place has no lighting and it is still, in effect, a building site,’ Inspector Andy Sullivan told a meeting of Wisbech Town Council.
‘I am not going to put my staff - police officers or PCSOs - into an area where they can’t see what is going on.’
Speaking after the full council meeting on Monday, he added: ‘If kids play in the park at night we will not go in. It is not our job to get kids out of the park.
‘If it was any other building site, would people be happy if police tried to get people out?’

Critics of the policy pointed out the £1million park, which opened last year, was not a ‘building site’ as children were already allowed to play there during the day. Only minor work remains to be done.

And they complained the inspector’s announcement that the park was too dangerous for officers would mean a free-for-all for the dozens of children that sometimes converge there, causing noise and thousands of pounds worth of damage on a regular basis.
Town councillor Richard Fulcher said: ‘I and many other councillors were disgusted with his comments.
‘What on earth sort of society have we got where police officers refuse to go anywhere after 8pm?
‘What Inspector Sullivan has done is to declare this part of Wisbech a no-go area because of poor lighting.’

Another councillor, David Patrick, said: ‘I had to ask for confirmation from the inspector to ensure I had heard it right the first time.
‘He said police officers wouldn’t go into the park because it was dark. Don’t they carry torches?’

The park has traditional play equipment such as swings and climbing frames, as well as a 35ft tower with a slide and two 65ft barges that were hauled in and converted into a classroom and toilets.
But homeowners in the area - many of whom are old or disabled - complain it has become a magnet for young thugs and have reported dozens of incidents of anti-social behaviour. They have also found evidence of alcohol and drug use.
Residents say their homes and cars have been vandalised, leaving them scared to go out at night.

‘The barges were practically wrecked from the outset as all the windows were smashed in and fire extinguishers were set off. The fire brigade have been involved quite a few times.
‘Stones have been thrown and on top of all that, there has been an increase in noise, with people shouting and screaming.
‘There is quite an aged population around this field and people are fearful of going out at night.
‘The police are meant to keep the peace but in their opinion if kids are creating havoc in this area it’s not happening somewhere else, so they just let them get on with it.’

A Cambridgeshire Police spokesman insisted the play park was ‘effectively a building site’ and said it currently has a council-appointed security guard.
He added: ‘During the evenings there is no lighting so it is effectively pitch black.
‘It is not a police officer’s job to ensure the area is kept clear. However, if a crime is committed or there is a risk to life, officers would take appropriate action.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1CJoMcK55

Police launch anti-burglary campaign... and police station is BURGLED hours later
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 2:53 PM on 25th February 2011

When police launched a high-profile anti-burglary campaign with the motto ‘Close it, Lock it, Check it’ they hoped to stamp out the crime by encouraging householders and business owners to be more vigilant and look after their own premises.
It was a shame then that the force failed to heed its own wise words, leading to red faces all round when just hours later one of its own police stations was burgled. :oops:
An intruder apparently sneaked through an open window and got into their offices in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

Suffolk Assistant Chief Constable Paul Marshall had launched a 'special bus which will tour the county with the slogan on the side shortly before.
The senior officer said people could avoid becoming burglary victims by 'following simple crime prevention advice and checking that their doors and windows are locked every time they go out'.

Shortly after the break in, police arrested a 31-year-old man nearby on suspicion of burglary.
A Suffolk Police spokeswoman confirmed that items which might have come from the station were seized from him following the incident on Wednesday.

She added: 'Any police station has areas which are of higher security than others. For example some offices will be locked or keypad secured. Security at the station will now be reviewed.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1F9ggBLd6

Police spend £11,000 on new slogan
A police force's decision to spend nearly £11,000 of public money creating a three-word ''brand'' slogan has been labelled ''absurd'' by a taxpayers' campaign group.
6:45AM GMT 28 Feb 2011

The TaxPayers' Alliance said Cumbria Police had ''wasted money'' by paying a marketing firm £10,880 to create the ''Safer Stronger Cumbria'' logo.

A force spokeswoman defended the spending, saying the ''brand and logo'' had helped police ''leave a footprint that people can easily recognise''.

Earlier this year, the Plain English Campaign (PEC) - which campaigns for better use of English by public bodies - said such police branding slogans served no purpose and should be scrapped.
PEC officials said the police service had nothing to sell and the word ''police'' told people all they needed to know.

The amount spent on the slogan was revealed after a local newspaper - the North West Evening Mail, which is based in Barrow - asked police questions under freedom of information legislation.

''Taxpayers want their money focused on fighting crime,'' said Matthew Sinclair, director of the TaxPayers' Alliance.
''It is absurd that Cumbria Police have spent thousands on rebranding, a waste of money that will do nothing to make Cumbria safer or stronger.
''If they want to build trust, they should be working to convince the public that they aren't distracted by this kind of presentational nonsense.''

Gill Shearer, Cumbria Police's head of marketing and communications, said the slogan was created after the force looked to update its image in 2007.
''Creating a 'Safer Stronger Cumbria' is not only a strapline but the overriding goal which our officers and staff strive towards alongside our communities, every single day,'' she said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... logan.html

That's pretty cheap for a logo, to be honest. That much cash probably wouldn't even get you through the discovery stage with my agency!

Strathclyde Police officer guilty over pro-IRA chanting
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-12853156

Christopher Halaka is a Pc at Strathclyde Police

Related Stories

Pc charged over pro-IRA chanting

A police officer has been found guilty of breaching the peace after he was heard singing pro-IRA songs and challenged by an off-duty colleague.

But a sheriff ruled that Christopher Halaka had not committed a sectarian offence because he had not wanted to cause "ill-will" to a particular group.

Halaka, 31, was drunk on a night out in Perth with his uncle when they were heard singing the songs.

Both Halaka and his uncle Laurence Winters, 43, were fined £250.

Halaka also faces an internal inquiry by Strathclyde Police where he works as a Pc.

Perth Sheriff Court heard that the pair left one woman in tears as they aggressively confronted people waiting in a taxi queue and had to be tackled by an off-duty detective from Strathclyde Police.

Det Con Ian Cameron told the three-day trial he stepped in to try and stop Halaka and Winters from singing pro-terrorist songs.

He said: "I can remember bits of the song - 'wearing a black beret' - and there was a phrase, either to 'join up' or 'up the' IRA.

'Pride stung'
"There was also a mention of Bobby Sands. I took it to be an IRA song because I believe Bobby Sands was a member of the IRA in the 1980s."

Halaka's solicitor David McKie claimed Det Con Ian Cameron had called in Tayside Police because he felt the pair had "taken the Mickey" when he told them to stop singing because people were offended.

He told the court that Det Con Cameron had admitted being a Rangers supporter who attended football matches at Ibrox, and had "his pride stung" when the men mocked him.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It was a breach of the peace in a public street and caused offence to members of the public who had been enjoying the night out”

Sheriff Mark Stewart
But the detective said he had phoned police when another group of men came forward to confront the duo as he was afraid "it was going to kick off".

And he said Winters, who was formerly in the Territorial Army, threatened to "find out where he lived".

Both accused had been charged with committing a breach of the peace aggravated by religious prejudice in central Perth on 28 December 2009.

Sheriff Mark Stewart deleted the reference to religious aggravation before finding them guilty of breaching the peace.

He said: "It is the verdict of the court that a breach of the peace has been proved against both of you. You conducted yourself in a disorderly manner and shouted and swore.

"It was a breach of the peace in a public street and caused offence to members of the public who had been enjoying the night out."

He accepted the offence was out of character.

1 April 2011, 11:24

Police had to be rescued from lift
Stuck /Photolibrary

Six burly policemen called to a disturbance at a tower block had to be rescued by firemen - after they got stuck in the lift.

The officers piled into the lift at the 13-storey Brooke House in Basildon, Essex, but their combined weight was too much for it.

The men, who have been dubbed the 'slow response team', were trapped for 17 minutes before being rescued, reports the Daily Mail.

A fire brigade source said: "They had gone to make an arrest or deal with something when all six of them decided to get into the same lift.

"It was the combined weight of all of them that caused it to get stuck. The crews had to use a lift key to get them out."

Police from the Basildon neighbourhood support team had been called to the town centre tower block following reports of a disturbance.

They began their lift journey up the 13-storey building, but soon came to a halt because they were too heavy.

A spokeswoman for Basildon police said: "Whilst on their way to the scene officers got stuck in a lift for a short time and were assisted by the fire brigade who helped them get out.

"It transpired that no crime, disturbance or breach of the peace had been committed."

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkie ... _from_lift

Wrong arm of the law: Woman driving to dying mum's side is arrested for a crime she didn't commit...then finds her car's been stolen when police release her SIX hours later!
By Andrew Levy
Last updated at 12:34 AM on 14th April 2011

A woman on the way to pick up her terminally-ill elderly mother for a hospital appointment was subjected to a nightmare ordeal by police who put her in a cell on suspicion of stealing petrol.
It was six hours before officers realised they had made a mistake because the theft was in fact carried out by two men.

And by the time they returned law-abiding grandmother Beverley Bennett to the spot where she was arrested, her car had been stolen.
When Mrs Bennett, 58, complained about her treatment, police said she could not take action against them because they were immune from prosecution in negligence cases.

But she has now been awarded £2,000 in an out-of-court settlement after she found a lawyer and the force admitted an ‘error’.
‘I have never been in trouble in my life,’ said Mrs Bennett, from Grays, Essex.
‘I don’t even have any points on my licence. How on earth did they end up arresting me, a little lady of 4ft 11in, when they should have been looking for two male suspects?
‘I cannot trust the police any more. I didn’t feel that way before but all they did was pass the buck.’

It was in May last year that staff at Tesco in Chadwell St Mary contacted Essex police to report that two men in a black Honda Accord had driven away without paying £20.70 for fuel. Mrs Bennett visited the same petrol station in her Honda Accord an hour later.
When police arrived to take details of the theft two days later, staff accidentally handed over her registration number and CCTV footage of her filling up and paying – although they did say the suspects were male.

Officers failed to view the footage, however, and the suspects’ sex was not put on to the Police National Computer. On June 24, Mrs Bennett was on her way to collect her 79-year-old mother Susanna Smith, who had cancer, for an appointment at King George Hospital in Ilford, East London.
She was pulled over in Dagenham by an officer who noticed her registration had been tagged as belonging to a crime suspect.

‘I honestly thought it was a joke – that someone was having a wind-up,’ she said. ‘But once I was in the cells I realised they certainly were not joking.’ Her £1,500 car was left in a layby beside the A13 dual carriageway while she was taken to Grays police station, where her handbag, shoes and reading glasses were confiscated before she was transferred to a cell await questioning.

The divorced mother of two, who is a registered carer for her disabled grandson, protested her innocence but was not freed until officers finally checked the CCTV footage they had been handed.
She was taken back to her car but it had disappeared and was never recovered, forcing her to make a claim on her insurance.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1JUd9FczD

Back