• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I watched the Barbie film last week. I barely noticed the song in it which won an Oscar. However that "I`m Just Ken" song is a real earworm. I can see why it was that one they performed live.

My wife told me it was National Banana Day a couple of weeks ago, so I sent her links to a few banana oriented songs. God help me - this has been in my head ever since:

Especially the line that begins "I have seen them by the carload..."
I'm intrigued, Chas: what were the other banana oriented songs?

I can think of a few. "The Banana Boat Song" (obviously). "Banana Republic" by The Boomtown Rats. "Banana Rock" by The Wombles. Or "The Banana Split Song". I'm sure there must be a few more.

I can think of a few. "The Banana Boat Song" (obviously). "Banana Republic" by The Boomtown Rats. "Banana Rock" by The Wombles. Or "The Banana Split Song". I'm sure there must be a few more.
Let's All Go Down the Strand (Have a Banana).

Yes! We Have no Bananas.

The only others were the perennial "Yes, We Have No Bananas" and the Hoosier Hot Shots' version of "I Like Bananas Because They Have No Bones". Should have thought of "The Banana Boat Song", as I love it and Stan Freeberg's comedy cover of it. By "The Banana Split Song" do you mean the theme to the TV show? That's more of a metabanana song, since it's about the band, not bananas per se. (Well, it does mention bananas, but it's more like a metaphor for the band members.)

I have an "album" by the Banana Splits: two standard size 45s with two songs per side. I got it with corn flake boxtops. One of my favorite numbers on that was the psychedelic "I Enjoy Being a Boy (In Love With You)", later covered by They Might Be Giants.

Great. Now that one will be stuck in my head.

The only others were the perennial "Yes, We Have No Bananas" and the Hoosier Hot Shots' version of "I Like Bananas Because They Have No Bones". Should have thought of "The Banana Boat Song", as I love it and Stan Freeberg's comedy cover of it. By "The Banana Split Song" do you mean the theme to the TV show? That's more of a metabanana song, since it's about the band, not bananas per se. (Well, it does mention bananas, but it's more like a metaphor for the band members.)

I have an "album" by the Banana Splits: two standard size 45s with two songs per side. I got it with corn flake boxtops. One of my favorite numbers on that was the psychedelic "I Enjoy Being a Boy (In Love With You)", later covered by They Might Be Giants.

Great. Now that one will be stuck in my head.
One banana, two banana, three banana, four :) . I didn't know that anyone would have watched that show. I actually was singing that song to a coworker a couple of weeks (maybe month) ago.

Edited to add: @CharmerKamelion, I just realized that it was you who first mentioned The Banana Splits.

Usually I got one or two earworms running in my head. One may be dominant, while the other steps in a few times.
Typically braindead Eurodance songs with killer rhythms and lyrics to go with it. Many years ago, Scooter's How Much Is the Fish, led me to the Breton Folk Song Ev Chistr 'ta Laou/Son Ar Chistr. No understanding of lyrics, so it's rhythms and humming to the song.

And then it's a trad. Norwegian folk song we learned in primary school. It still pops up to this day.

Last edited:
I have the chorus on repeat at the moment and just can't switch into the verse tune :(

Where the strawberry beds
Sweep down to the Liffey
You kiss away the worries from my brow
I love you well today
And I’ll love you more tomorrow
If you ever loved me Molly love me now

for a spirited version, which just has the chorus...

`forty shades of green yeah, sixty shades of red. Heroes going cheap these days, price a bullet in the head.`

Last edited:
When it comes to fruity works, I should not listen to Carmina Banana*. That roasted swan-song just keeps repeating on me and Jochum's singer is very weird! :willy:

*I put it on loud, for the neighbours.
:bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas:
:rofl:
Thank you, Autocorrect. :clap:

The late great Kevin Ayers seemed to have something of a banana fixation....

ayeres1.png
ayeres2.png

ayeres3.png

Back