Eastern Airlines Flight 401 (Crash; UL; Ghost Of Flight 401 Book; Movie)

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is a great case, a great story too as aircraft don't have quite the superstitious or spooky goings on that ships do. Never had anything paranormal happen to me on a flight however, which I suppose IS a good thing.
On a slightly different aside, flying into Helsinki, Finland, we were greeted by this sign:
welcometohel.jpg

A few days later flying to Singapore we found ourselves flying from HEL to SIN. We did survive despite our plane ( a new Airbus A350 ) being struck by lightning on it's inbound flight from Seoul to Helsinki.

helsin.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
This is a great case, a great story too as aircraft don't have quite the superstitious or spooky goings on that ships do. Never had anything paranormal happen to me on a flight however, which I suppose IS a good thing.
On a slightly different aside, flying into Helsinki, Finland, we were greeted by this sign:

A few days later flying to Singapore we found ourselves flying from HEL to SIN. We did survive despite our plane ( a new Airbus A350 ) being struck by lightning on it's inbound flight from Seoul to Helsinki.
Wasn't there a tongue in cheek 'superstition flight' a few years ago, where a Flight 13 took off on Friday 13th at 13:13 for or from HEL?
Or maybe it was a real flight and the numbers just stood out, or I've imagined it.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'd love to know a bit more about this casual aside...
It's a good few years back but we got the tanks from a aircraft beaker on top of a dam great hill near Buxton
or there about, they were 250 gall tanks bolted a frame between the two and added a deck ending up with
a handy little dive boat, the tanks have a mechanical contents gauge in the nose so as long as you get a pair
you can check if you have a leak at a glance it went well even with a small outboard, all good fun as they say.
The beaker was run by one guy or at least I only ever saw one, but he had about 20 fax machines buzzing
away, he had things like radios for Dakotas and cylinder heads, piles of Canberra stuff, 2 complete Wessex
helicopters had just arrived, a interesting place but I bet it's long gone now.

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
It's a good few years back but we got the tanks from a aircraft beaker on top of a dam great hill near Buxton
or there about, they were 250 gall tanks bolted a frame between the two and added a deck ending up with
a handy little dive boat, the tanks have a mechanical contents gauge in the nose so as long as you get a pair
you can check if you have a leak at a glance it went well even with a small outboard, all good fun as they say.
The beaker was run by one guy or at least I only ever saw one, but he had about 20 fax machines buzzing
away, he had things like radios for Dakotas and cylinder heads, piles of Canberra stuff, 2 complete Wessex
helicopters had just arrived, a interesting place but I bet it's long gone now.
Great stuff, thank you!

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A most famous ghost story from 1972 which I am sure today no one would know about was the crash of Eastern Airlines Flight 401 into the Florida Everglades on December 29, 1972.

This story was made into books, TV shows, and a movie.

It turns out a bad switch told the crew the landing gears were not down which was not true.

The crew accidentally turned off the autopilot searching the problem and flew into the Everglades and crashed.

Eastern used the crashed parts on other L-1011 planes, and then all the ghosts started to appear on these planes.

The ghosts only stopped when these salvaged parts were removed.

This was the first wide body plane crash and it stayed in the news for a long time.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
They removed parts from a crashed plane and put them into other planes?? Looking at photos of that plane it wouldn't be the obvious thing to try... there don't seem to be many bits to salvage?! Well it sounds intriguing, thank you CharlieBrown. Something else to distract me from lockdown fever.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The soft swamp allowed 75 people to survive out of 173, and the swamp allowed some of the plane’s structures to remain intact.

After these parts were reused, passengers on the planes with reused parts found themselves sitting next to the dead

pilot and dead co-pilot.

Stewardess found ghosts In food galleries that had the recycled parts from the crashed plane, and ghost passengers from flight 401 and were walking down the length of the plane.

After an outcry, Eastern Airline removed the recycled parts

This was a good one to study Eponastill.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
A most famous ghost story from 1972 which I am sure today no one would know about was the crash of Eastern Airlines Flight 401 into the Florida Everglades on December 29, 1972.

This story was made into books, TV shows, and a movie.

It turns out a bad switch told the crew the landing gears were not down which was not true.

The crew accidentally turned off the autopilot searching the problem and flew into the Everglades and crashed.

Eastern used the crashed parts on other L-1011 planes, and then all the ghosts started to appear on these planes.

The ghosts only stopped when these salvaged parts were removed.

This was the first wide body plane crash and it stayed in the news for a long time.
They removed parts from a crashed plane and put them into other planes?? Looking at photos of that plane it wouldn't be the obvious thing to try... there don't seem to be many bits to salvage?! Well it sounds intriguing, thank you CharlieBrown. Something else to distract me from lockdown fever.
It's been debunked. I read Fuller's book and a little while later thought "wait a minute..." Then had a hunt.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4563