• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Electronic Voice Phenomena ('EVP')

My sentiments exactly. EVP are easy to fake, and the sounds and their meaning are subjective. Nothing I've heard so far has changed my mind about that.

We even had a go at recording some for ourselves a few years ago and heard a voice on the recording, which sounded clear as a bell to me. Nobody else could make it out though! In any case, the 'message' was nonsensical.

EVP and orbs are the Victorian table-tipping or Edwardian 'spirit photography' of our times.

The trouble is, as pointed out by the hosts of blurryphotos, there is no evidence that is 100% legit these days. Everything can be faked or photoshopped.

You should check out blurryphotos it's very funny. The ghost taxonomy and EVP episodes are great.

The trouble is, as pointed out by the hosts of blurryphotos, there is no evidence that is 100% legit these days. Everything can be faked or photoshopped.

You should check out blurryphotos it's very funny. The ghost taxonomy and EVP episodes are great.

I will! I've heard of it. Kind of depressing though, that people still come up with this stuff AND there are those who believe it. Even obvious, jokey fakes are eventually circulated as evidence.

Reminds me of the photos someone found in a German tat shop a few years ago, apparently of Hitler cavorting with strippers. The finder excitedly posted about them on here. He/she didn't post the images, more's the pity.

I knew what had really gone on as I'd read about it in the early '70s in my parents' Daily Mirror. It was a German comedy act who, quite controversially at the time, performed a sketch featuring Hitler and some half-naked dancers. I was able to describe one of the photos in some detail. The OP was probably quite disappointed as I can't remember hearing any more on the subject.

Edit: aaand here it is.
You don't get to see the picture directly although it's supposed to be around somewhere.

Last edited:
I was going to try to find out more from the on Facebook and then changed my mind. I didn't want to remove my post so edited it, even though it look irrelevant. Naughty_Felid.

Nearly all EVP's that have allegedly been caught tend to be 2 or 3 seconds in length. I would be dubious of something over such a long time. On one of the links provided, further down the thread, someone has posted that someone has not posted since October 31st.

I have picked up a few strange noises on my voice-recorder while out ghost hunting, hours of listening for a few snatches of strangeness, but I don't think what I have picked up is normal noise, neither is it the spirits of the dead. It's just STRANGE.
It seems normal for anything ghostly to be over quick and not say anything meaningful, even a crisis apparition will just show itself and maybe say a quick goodbye, it doesn't hang around to discuss where it is going and what it's plans for the future are. Make of that what you will

I have picked up a few strange noises on my voice-recorder while out ghost hunting, hours of listening for a few snatches of strangeness, but I don't think what I have picked up is normal noise, neither is it the spirits of the dead. It's just STRANGE.
It seems normal for anything ghostly to be over quick and not say anything meaningful, even a crisis apparition will just show itself and maybe say a quick goodbye, it doesn't hang around to discuss where it is going and what it's plans for the future are. Make of that what you will
Perhaps these EVP recorders not only captures ghosts, but also beings in other dimensions?

Perhaps these EVP recorders not only captures ghosts, but also beings in other dimensions?
it could be, they could be some form of PK from the user of the recorder, or from another living person, it could be from a fragment of a spirit that moved on elsewhere, leaving a confused part of itself behind, we just dont have enough evidence to say what it is

My sentiments exactly. EVP are easy to fake, and the sounds and their meaning are subjective. Nothing I've heard so far has changed my mind about that.

We even had a go at recording some for ourselves a few years ago and heard a voice on the recording, which sounded clear as a bell to me. Nobody else could make it out though! In any case, the 'message' was nonsensical.

EVP and orbs are the Victorian table-tipping or Edwardian 'spirit photography' of our times.

Ah, yes, orbs. Years ago I once quite innocently asked an orb enthusiast for more information on his methods etc. In reply I received a pretty vicious attack; I was clearly just another obtuse skeptic who would not believe even if his grandma's ghost appeared in his bathroom. Clearly, the guy had been receiving a lot of messages far more skeptical than mine, and was now on a hair trigger, which didn't improve his credibility with me. :)

There is simply no way that I know of to tell whether an orb is for real or just a bit of dust. I mean, sometimes they tell you to look for this or that, but how can they tell in the first place that those orbs are for real? Who did the research on how to distinguish ghost orbs from dust orbs? What would such research look like even in principle? How can I replicate it? These people like to appear all scientific, but they have no clue about how science actually works.

Of course, as folklore, I just love orbs and EVP. It is perfectly possible that some of it may be for real too; we just can't quite call it scientific facts yet because it has not yet passed the very stringent criteria. It's really the same for the entire field of paranormal phenomena - they are rare and can often not be replicated, and that is precisely why we call them paranormal, instead of the just plain old phenomena.

I find some of it wonderfully tantalizing though, and it certainly makes for great subject matter for novels. :)

There is simply no way that I know of to tell whether an orb is for real or just a bit of dust. I mean, sometimes they tell you to look for this or that, but how can they tell in the first place that those orbs are for real? Who did the research on how to distinguish ghost orbs from dust orbs? What would such research look like even in principle? How can I replicate it?
I once suggested to an orb enthusiast that at each location he went to, he should gather some dust, throw it in front of his camera and photograph it, in order to show to the pesky skeptics how his orbs differed from mere dust.

I needn't have wasted my breath.:rolleyes:

I once suggested to an orb enthusiast that at each location he went to, he should gather some dust, throw it in front of his camera and photograph it, in order to show to the pesky skeptics how his orbs differed from mere dust.

I needn't have wasted my breath.:rolleyes:

At Uncon some year ago ASSAP were taking 'orb' photos by throwing glitter or blowing bubbles or summat. Great fun!

An example of Facebook pareidolia champions:

lL3hgB7.jpg

One of the comments say there's a guy with a beard in there. And another says definitely a man with children. And another says definitely a human figure.

Clearly, I am not as psychic as some.

An example of Facebook pareidolia champions:

lL3hgB7.jpg

One of the comments say there's a guy with a beard in there. And another says definitely a man with children. And another says definitely a human figure.

Clearly, I am not as psychic as some.

I have specially enhanced this picture using pure dead special, special enhancement stuff, and out of it emerges the unmistakable ghost of a special stuffed Dingo my little sister knitted specially in 1974 and lost down the back of an old sofa - it's very very special.

w6yBuTa.png

Last edited:
It's all paradeloia, innit. Just now, sitting in silence at home, I heard a female American voice say 'Hey!' in an endearing way.

Looked around, a bit alarmed, and then my stomach rumbled again.

Are the dead talking to Alexa ? .. probably not but this video's entertaining enough..

Maybe the spirits of the dead are talking to the CIA via Alexa. It's 2018, makes as much sense as anything else.

Ghosts would make great spies. Invisible, unblockable, don't need expense accounts...

Maybe the spirits of the dead are talking to the CIA via Alexa. It's 2018, makes as much sense as anything else.

Ghosts would make great spies. Invisible, unblockable, don't need expense accounts...
What an absolutely brilliant plot for book.

The guberment have found a way of temporarily seperating the soul from the body, allowing for Ghost Spies. No traces, no fingerprints. Like the invisible man but not bound by physical limitations like walls or doors.

I copyright his idea here and now - ©Ringo 2018 and I will probably call the film SPOOKS.

The guberment have found a way of temporarily seperating the soul from the body, allowing for Ghost Spies. No traces, no fingerprints. Like the invisible man but not bound by physical limitations like walls or doors.

I copyright his idea here and now - ©Ringo 2018 and I will probably call the film SPOOKS.
That's a bit racist Ringo ..

And it turns out that "Most Haunted" is actually a spook recruitment mission disguised as cheesy nonsense. The covert recruiting the clandestine.

Students of this subject may be pleased to know that the Ghost Orchid tapes have surfaced on Youtube. This set of recordings by Raymond Cass incorporates the EP which accompanied Raudive's book Breakthrough.

It has been available online in various places but here is another chance to hear it and make up your own minds. :rolleyes:

Also mentioned on this thread is the elusive flexi-disc which was given away with the first number of Unexplained Magazine.

It, also, has been posted on Youtube in 2 parts - link given.

NB: The flexidisc is just Side A of the original Breakthrough EP, split across the sides.

Last edited:

Sorry, ghost spies was already done in the Suicide Squad movie.

Students of this subject may be pleased to know that the Ghost Orchid tapes have surfaced on Youtube. This set of recordings by Raymond Cass incorporates the EP which accompanied Raudive's book Breakthrough.

It has been available online in various places but here is another chance to hear it and make up your own minds. :rolleyes:

Also mentioned on this thread is the elusive flexi-disc which was given away with the first number of Unexplained Magazine.

It, also, has been posted on Youtube in 2 parts - link given.

NB: The flexidisc is just Side A of the original Breakthrough EP, split across the sides.

I still can't read the name "Raudive" without hearing that croaky voice saying it in my head.

Anyone else catch the EVP in Astonishing Legends episode 124 of the Sallie House (part 2)?

Some people may find the EVP disturbing.

It's certainly sustained and difficult to listen to. The podcast is well worth listening to due to the depth of the research they do for each episode. They are opened-minded and I can't see them faking this as if it was discovered their podcast would be destroyed.

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/...-the-sallie-house-ghost-in-the-machine-part-1

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/...-the-sallie-house-ghost-in-the-machine-part-2 (EVP episode at approx 2.21 EVP starts).

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/...-the-sallie-house-ghost-in-the-machine-part-3 (investigation into the EVP).

For those that don't know the Sallie House is a very thoroughly investigated haunting. There has been a large amount of phenomenon recorded on all sorts of formats.

Our own thread on the house https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-sallie-house.55189/#post-1410937

I've had a couple of experiences with EVP, one unexpected and comical, the other a little unsettling.
My youngest son and I had purchased two voice activated recorders as the house we live in is haunted as was the building where our business at the time was (a cafe), also had some paranormal activity.
The morning after receiving them, my wife was still asleep, as was my son and I was in the kitchen making some breakfast for myself. The recorders were on the bench so I picked one up and asked if there was anyone here with me. Playing the sound bite back, after my question, there was a distinct elderly, female voice speaking in a gravelly tone saying ''Keep your cool.'' I was stunned but found it amusing.
Some time later, in the cafe, we had been having a day where we had heard some knocks on our side door (which opened into a small courtyard) every time with no one there, as well as a few of us catching glimpses of shadows moving about the building.
Using the recorders, we asked the usual questions and has one clear voice reply in a long, slow whisper, ''Josh.'' Which as you may have guessed, is my youngest son's name. He was quite disturbed by this having felt that ''whatever'' it was had singled him out by naming him. I have to admit, whilst remaining calm, I did feel that it was a remarkable capture and certainly not a coincidence.

The cafe was originally the post office for the town we live in, though ceased being so in the 50's when the current post office was mistakenly built (that's a whole other story). It's attached to the old Post Masters house and there was once a doorway and a flight of stairs (now blocked up) from the house into what is now the kitchen of the cafe.
From the moment my wife and I bought the business, this was December 2010, we always had a sense that there was something in the building. Doors would open, knocks on the side door would happen every few days, loud and distinct and as we could see anyone coming towards the door from either direction, it was especially odd when we knew no one was there or it was just us and our youngest son there before or after opening hours.
There were also shadows that moved about the building, some very clearly seen, others glimpsed only from the corners of your eye. Having said that, these were regular, at times, almost daily occurrences.
As the business grew, we employed another 3 people and each and everyone of them would report hearing the knocking and seeing the shadows, so much so that we had an open window from the kitchen to the cafe counter where orders were taken and coffee was made and they would often go to greet a customer out after seeing someone from the kitchen, only to find no one there. This happened more so to one young woman than the other two, but it happened to them all at one point.
The door where the knocking took place then started to open after hearing the knocks, at least whatever it was, it was very polite.
Being avid fans of paranormal t.v shows, this is when we decided to invest in some equipment and bought the recorders, some hand held laser thermometers, emf detectors and and infra red video recorder.
The door where the knocks took place led to a covered annex and it was there that we received the highest emf readings in an area at the top of two stairs. There was a metallic hand railing there, though aside from that, nothing electrical that could cause such high and fluctuating readings. We nicknamed this area 'the portal'. It was here that we recorded the EMF that said ''Josh.'' We did achieve a few others, though none so distinct as that one. We had no success capturing anything on video.
After two and a half years, we sold the business and just out of curiosity I asked the new owners one day whilst chatting to them if they had ever had anything odd happen there ( to this day, we own the business next door to the cafe - a gift shop) and yes, they did. Shadows and knocking.
Two months ago, new owners took over the cafe but I've yet to ask as they're still settling in. Given the chance and if they're receptive to such things, I'll ask as I'm interested to know.

The cafe was originally the post office for the town we live in, though ceased being so in the 50's when the current post office was mistakenly built (that's a whole other story). It's attached to the old Post Masters house and there was once a doorway and a flight of stairs (now blocked up) from the house into what is now the kitchen of the cafe.
From the moment my wife and I bought the business, this was December 2010, we always had a sense that there was something in the building. Doors would open, knocks on the side door would happen every few days, loud and distinct and as we could see anyone coming towards the door from either direction, it was especially odd when we knew no one was there or it was just us and our youngest son there before or after opening hours.
There were also shadows that moved about the building, some very clearly seen, others glimpsed only from the corners of your eye. Having said that, these were regular, at times, almost daily occurrences.
As the business grew, we employed another 3 people and each and everyone of them would report hearing the knocking and seeing the shadows, so much so that we had an open window from the kitchen to the cafe counter where orders were taken and coffee was made and they would often go to greet a customer out after seeing someone from the kitchen, only to find no one there. This happened more so to one young woman than the other two, but it happened to them all at one point.
The door where the knocking took place then started to open after hearing the knocks, at least whatever it was, it was very polite.
Being avid fans of paranormal t.v shows, this is when we decided to invest in some equipment and bought the recorders, some hand held laser thermometers, emf detectors and and infra red video recorder.
The door where the knocks took place led to a covered annex and it was there that we received the highest emf readings in an area at the top of two stairs. There was a metallic hand railing there, though aside from that, nothing electrical that could cause such high and fluctuating readings. We nicknamed this area 'the portal'. It was here that we recorded the EMF that said ''Josh.'' We did achieve a few others, though none so distinct as that one. We had no success capturing anything on video.
After two and a half years, we sold the business and just out of curiosity I asked the new owners one day whilst chatting to them if they had ever had anything odd happen there ( to this day, we own the business next door to the cafe - a gift shop) and yes, they did. Shadows and knocking.
Two months ago, new owners took over the cafe but I've yet to ask as they're still settling in. Given the chance and if they're receptive to such things, I'll ask as I'm interested to know.

Do you still have the EVP?

Back