• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision

One of the issues is that European countries just dont like UK pop music, so employing someone who promotes UK pop music to find our Eurovision song is not going to help. Even Dua Lipa (the act that the people employed are behind) only had one hit in Europe recently, and that was a collaboration with an Austrian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/25/british-uk-pop-music-europe-eu-brexit-rule-changes
Yes. This is why British artists find themselves almost in a state of trivial busking unlike their successful european peers like Adele, Ed Sheeran, Elton John, Coldplay etc. It’s criminal that bands like The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Duran Duran, Madness, David Bowie never got a chance to make their names big in Europe.

Most of the songs are sung in English, presumably so most viewers can understand them.
I've always thought viewers of Eurovision were not in a position to understand anything....

Yes, why dont we enter a decent band?

or are they frightened of what it might do to their reputation?

I've always thought viewers of Eurovision were not in a position to understand anything....
We remember how to work a phone, that's one thing at least.
monkey.jpg

Maybe because any decent band won't touch it with a bargepole?

Because it's the Eurovision SONG Contest. The songs are supposed to be judged, not the artists. Which is of course weird but there you go. It's a music composition contest. But then the people at home usually vote who whoever they think is the best "overall" performance.

The entries are written by professional composers who then find countries who want to buy them. The countries then find the local acts who can perform them. These performers then add their own "feeling" to it and get a co-writing credit. There are some composers who have 3 or 4 or 5 songs in each contest, representing different countries.

Put a world famous band up there and they probably wouldn't win. If Elton John wrote a song and it was performed by someone else, then it would stand a greater chance of winning than if Elton performed it himself.

Turin 2022 isn't that far away and expectations are high that it will be a proper, well-attended Europe-wide extravaganza this year.

Think it may be our turn to host the extended family's Eurovision BBQ this year.

Last edited:
It used to bother me that we never got any votes. I was happy with who won though, generally voting for one of the bands in the top 5. It was just us getting less votes than those with IMO worse songs. Then I realised being annoyed was getting in the way of my enjoying a great night's entertainment. It's always a great show.

It used to bother me that we never got any votes. I was happy with who won though, generally voting for one of the bands in the top 5. It was just us getting less votes than those with IMO worse songs. Then I realised being annoyed was getting in the way of my enjoying a great night's entertainment. It's always a great show.

Amen to that. Imagine if we won - millions of Brits with nothing to complain about! It's just not right!

I've been listening to all British songs in the ESC from 1957 to 2021.

Best songs:
1. 1997 - Katrina and the Waves "Love Shine a Light"
2. 1976 - Brotherhood of Man "Save Your Kisses for Me"
3. 1967 - Sandie Shaw "Puppet on a String"

A couple of the worstest:
2003 - Jemini "Cry Baby"
2015 - Electro Velvet "Still in Love with You"

Pure simple pop is very typical of UK, while other countries are not afraid to use their ethnic music mixed with rock and pop.

Pure simple pop is very typical of UK, while other countries are not afraid to use their ethnic music mixed with rock and pop.
These are almost always my favourites at Eurovision. I voted Ukraine last year.

This is my plan for winning Eurovision:-
Song is written and performed by Amy McDonald.
You have one guy on bagpipes and two on bhangra drums (if you have never heard this combo, look it up. It is far more awesome than you could have imagined)
You have two male dancers in kilts who don't quite dance enthusiastically enough for you to tell if they are "real" Scots or not. (Maybe they reveal loveheart or other amusing boxers at the end?)

It would be fun, tick every Eurovision box and also be a choon. :cool:

Apart from the COVID years my brother has attended every Eurovision since 1997 where he freelance commentates on the event for Australian radio and TV and any other broadcasters who want to cover it but are too stingy to send their own team.

By attend I do not just mean the final he is there for the full 2 weeks with full press accreditation and a desk in the media lounge.

Wouldn't appeal to me though.

Best songs that should have won Eurovision but didn't?

How about:

Volare (Italy) 1958:

L'Amour est Bleu (Luxembourg) 1967:

Congratulations (UK) 1968:

I See a Star (Netherlands) 1974:

Olou tou kosmou i elpida (Greece) 1992:

These are almost always my favourites at Eurovision. I voted Ukraine last year.

This is my plan for winning Eurovision:-
Song is written and performed by Amy McDonald.
You have one guy on bagpipes and two on bhangra drums (if you have never heard this combo, look it up. It is far more awesome than you could have imagined)
You have two male dancers in kilts who don't quite dance enthusiastically enough for you to tell if they are "real" Scots or not. (Maybe they reveal loveheart or other amusing boxers at the end?)

It would be fun, tick every Eurovision box and also be a choon. :cool:
I love these kind of ESC songs:

Inspired by North American natives and Scandinavian Sami people.

Apart from the COVID years my brother has attended every Eurovision since 1997 where he freelance commentates on the event for Australian radio and TV and any other broadcasters who want to cover it but are too stingy to send their own team.

By attend I do not just mean the final he is there for the full 2 weeks with full press accreditation and a desk in the media lounge.

Wouldn't appeal to me though.
I've taken to watching the semi finals in the week before the Grand Final. I think the songs get better if you've heard them a couple of times. Most of these songs are doing the rounds in Europe so are more and more familiar to our neighbours than they are to us. Don't think I'd want to cover two weeks though.

I'm glad Australia are in it now. I'd love to see Canada join. Think I heard they were interested. I'm surprised there isn't a US song contest.

I've taken to watching the semi finals in the week before the Grand Final. I think the songs get better if you've heard them a couple of times. Most of these songs are doing the rounds in Europe so are more and more familiar to our neighbours than they are to us. Don't think I'd want to cover two weeks though.

Brother gets to interview all the performers, gets invited to every party, he also speaks fluent French and German as well as English and is single.

So for him it is basically a 2 week party with some work thrown in ultimately all paid for by syndicating his work across multiple tv and radio channels.

Makes it a bit more palatable but still 2 weeks of Europop would drive me to insanity.

I honestly think that viral sea shanty song would have worked well as a Eurovision entry for the UK. It would have gotten us a point more than that German dancing middle finger at the very least.

Back