• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Foods Nobody Dislikes (Or Everybody Likes)?

My boyfriend hates strawberries , my housemate hates all fruit and peanut butter and chocolate (together).

I loved school dinners - for years I was the only kid in school who was a vegetarian and I had what they had but instead of meat I got about half a pound of grated cheese - boiled poatoes , cabbage and grated cheese is lovely ,everyone was jealous .
I can't have peanut butter 'cause my kid is allergic and tempting though it is it might be better all round if he didn't die just yet .
Marion

I've just thought of another horror - PICKLED EGGS!:cross eye :cross eye

And that little cake case they always give people who buy one in the pub seems such an incongruous touch . . .

Carole

And that little cake case they always give people who buy one in the pub seems such an incongruous touch

What? PLEASE explain. What do you mean. I can't picture what you might mean. Cake cases? Is it a local thing?

Eggs are well odd anyhow. I vaguely know this guy who is an almost elderly sculptor. Spent years collecting egg shells (almost whole) in jars. Perhaps 50 in each jar. And the egg shells are stuffed with hair. Very strange. Actually looks quite good and all kinds of stange resonances. He's also interested in nuts.:D

Surely you know, Simon - those small corrugated paper cases you can buy to make individual little cakes with. Well, in pubs in our region, when you buy a pickled egg, it is served up in one of these to prevent the vinegar dripping all over . . .

Carole

PS the plain cake cases, not the ones with little flowers all over them!

And what about liver? It seems there is no middle ground with liver. Everyone either loves it or hates it. Myself, I love liver.

Pickled eggs in this part of the world generally go with (ie, in) a bag of crisps - plain is fine or you can be adventurous and go for flavoured ones!

PS the plain cake cases, not the ones with little flowers all over them!

Phew! :)

They must look very attractive. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to add 'eating a pickled egg' to my list of things to do before I'm 40.

i hate mcdonalds gerkins but i dont mind them from burger king i also dislike burger kings chips but love them from mcdonalds also when i was a lot younger i love sweets etc but ow prefer savory stuff why does getting older affect what taste sensations you like?

Floral Deko cake cases have a special meaning for our family as
we undergo each year the ritual called "Eating the prawns".

This means eating a portion of prawns from such a cake case as
served to us by certain relatives. Those of us - namely me - who
cannot face these uncertain crustaceans just eat the crisps, from
the safely sealed bags. Later, those who have braved them,
assure us that our squeamishness was noted and may have
financial consequences. :cross eye

As for liver, the truth is that this delicacy was traditionally
spoiled by overcooking. It needs to be eaten pink and with a sweet
sauce of bilberries or blackcurrants. Gourmets choose the expensive
calves' liver but I think lamb's liver is quite delicious and very cheap.
The Chinese prize pig's liver but it seems to need a lot of spicing up
to make this palatable! :rolleyes:

I hate VINEGAR.

I hate it so much.

It's revolting - I even hate the smell of it.

People put it in loads of stuff - salad dressings, sauces, and of course anything pickled is definately out.....

Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk

:cross eye

It seems we're agreed then

- we're all different!

Which probably explains why humans are a more successful species than Pandas.

I've learned two things from this thread:

1) People really like to talk about food.

2) You're all a bunch of weirdos. <no offense>

It's interesting how much of a role texture plays for some people and not for others. Which brings me to potatoes. Everybody likes potatoes one way or another, right? I like them raw with a little salt and pepper, deep fried as in American fries, mashed, baked even. Fries go well with barbeque sauce and especially with ranch dressing.

Originally posted by mike_legs

It's interesting how much of a role texture plays for some people and not for others. Which brings me to potatoes. Everybody likes potatoes one way or another, right? I like them raw with a little salt and pepper, deep fried as in American fries, mashed, baked even. Fries go well with barbeque sauce and especially with ranch dressing.

Mike, what is ranch dressing, and what about roast potatoes' or is that what you mean by baked, our baked potatoes are cooked in the skins.

mike_legs said:
You're all a bunch of weirdos. <no offense>

It's interesting how much of a role texture plays for some people and not for others. Which brings me to potatoes. Everybody likes potatoes one way or another, right? I like them raw with a little salt and pepper...

Excuse me...RAW POTATOES???

Maybe the part where you say 'You're all a bunch of weirdos' you actually meant 'WE'??

Nobody eats raw potatoes!!! Come on. (!?) Thats disgusting.
:cross eye

FiKTiSHuS said:
Excuse me...RAW POTATOES???

Maybe the part where you say 'You're all a bunch of weirdos' you actually meant 'WE'??

Ahh, yes. Thanks for the correction. I suppose it should have been 'We all are a bunch of weirdos.' :cool:

Baked potatoes are in the skin. Not sure exactly what roast potatoes are. Ranch dressing... hmmm how to describe it. Ahh, a generic ingredients list will do:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 tablespoon dried chives
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground white pepper

Most people only put it on salad, but I find it's great for dipping french-fried potatoes.

Sounds interesting Mike, might give it a try, bit heavy on the white pepper though.

Roast potatoes are peeled, parboiled, and then roasted in the oven in a little fat (preferably meat fat). They are amongst my desert island foods.

Still waiting for the beef and chicken stew recipe...

BTW I remember reading somewhere that liking/disliking sprouts is due to a chemical reaction in the mouth which is genetically controlled - does anyone else remember this research?

Peanut butter - yetch...

I know this thread has been sitting on the shelf for a bit b

Going back to the original question. Everyone has been talking about foods they like/dislike and included amongst these have been various flavourings. Now I can't believe that no-one has mentioned mint! Does anyone dislike or knows someone who dislikes mint flavours?

Well, I guess strawberry flavoured toothpaste would be rather unpleasant.

Yeah, Mana, I can't stand it - hence being on first name terms with half the dentists in Oxfordshire

Niles ":blah:" Calder

Niles Calder said:
Yeah, Mana, I can't stand it - hence being on first name terms with half the dentists in Oxfordshire

Niles ":blah:" Calder

You can get strawberry flavour kid's toothpaste, or liver or chicken flavour dog toothpaste if you don't like mint .

Hmm, verrry interesting Niles. I shall have to think more on this one. Then again, you may be a mutant.:D

Marion said:
You can get strawberry flavour kid's toothpaste, or liver or chicken flavour dog toothpaste if you don't like mint .
I know Glastonbury attracts a lot of fringe types, but that post seems to belong more to California than dull ol' UK!

Dog toothpaste, forsooth!

I HATE all varieties of mint flavour and bought Euthymol toothpaste for years, which the kids whinged about. I'd say, don't use it, it's for ME, but nobody believed that I didn't like lovely mint.

I love all vegetables except beetroot which actually made me feel faint with horror during pregnancy. At that time I also ate sour and pickled foods, to the extent of actually experimenting with the drinking of vinegar itself. Nasty.

I self-diagnosed my last, unplanned and hitherto unsuspected pregnancy when I found myself drooling uncontrollably over the pickled gherkins on the deli counter at Asda!

My son can't eat cauliflower because, he says, it squeaks when you eat it. So do mice, I say, but you don't hear the cats complaining.

And chocolate? I love the stuff, except for the dark variety. As a teenager I was occasionally presented with a box of Black Magic chocs by a hopeful swain who believed it to be a sophisticated gift. Yuk. I'd say a polite thank-you and dump it- no teenage kicks for him!

Do most people like cereals? I can only eat Bran Flakes and, in times of crisis, Sugar Puffs.

When I was child I had to eat everything on the plate or risk being dragged from the table and physically battered, followed by having the offending food forcibly shoved in my mouth.

One day, aged about 10, I spotted a CREATURE on my plate. It was most probably a small slug. I protested but was ordered to eat it on the grounds that it was dead. I did actually get it into my mouth but immediately vomited copiously onto my plate. I was terrified: I was certainly going to have to eat the rest of my food, plus the vomit and the slug.
Luckily, as I continued vomiting all afternoon, I got away with a mere beating and several days' mealtime derision from my parents. Helped my appetite no end. Not.

If my 4 kids expressed a dislike of a food I didn't even acknowledge them but would quietly leave it off their plate when serving. Worked a treat. In fact, they'd soon ask, why don't you ever put carrots/eggs/fish on my plate? And I'd not reply, just plonk them some on!

It's a good job we all like different things or a privileged few would control all the sprouts!

Have to confess I do enjoy the occasional Pot Noodle - must be a relic of my poor student days when I lived on Pot Noodles, baked beans and tinned mackeral (20p a can).

Escargot's childhood sounds positively frightening. What has that done to your eating habits ? You poor thing !

Isn't it wierd how as you get older you develop hankerings for the stuff you had to be forced to eat as a child ? Somehow I've started quite enjoying sprouts, tapioca pudding, steamed cabbage, swedes and the stuff. Psychological conditioning, anyone ?

Mushrooms!

I hated mushrooms when I was little. I've now come to the conclusion that it must have been something my mum did to them though, cos I've liked them ever since I got old enough to cook my own!

Further suggestion for something everyone likes: how about Jaffa cakes? I've never met anyone who didn't dive for them as soon as the box was produced. When I was at uni a society I was in used to have Jaffa cakes at all meetings, and we had regular bouts of friendly assault and battery as everyone fought to get their share!

Ioethe - I remember hearing the sprout research. It made my mother feel quite guilty as she had always forced me to eat sprouts - even though they made me retch. When she read that it was a chemical reaction and not just me being picky, it was too late - the damage had been done.......

Oddly enough, I can eat sprouts now - I don't enjoy them - but I can eat them. Apparently the chemical thing diminishes as you get older.

To annoy my wife, I slipped a can of 19p Tesco Value "Meatballs" into the weekly shop. Should I eat them?

Tapioca, ahhh, and sago, and creamed rice. Lovely.
I didn't have these except at school as I was considered too unimportant to 'waste' milk on. Same went for butter: I always had to eat cheap cooking margarine (Echo on toast, anyone?) while my parents and siblings noshed on the Kerrygold.

I loved school meals and always ate every scrap, except when there was beetroot, which I saw someone throw up on a desk and couldn't tolerate afterwards!

I still empty my plate, out of conscious gratitude to whoever has prepared it or just because I've cooked for myself.

[As an abused child myself I was careful to respect my own kids' wishes and boundaries. I never made an issue of food (couldn't afford to anyway!) and indulged in various other newfangled parenting gimmicks such as not beating the crap out of them, letting them have a light on at night if they felt nervous of the dark and telling them they were bright, attractive people and not ugly failures who'd get nowhere in life because they were lazy useless nowts.

The nastiest two things I've ever tasted were Fairy soap and Persil soap powder. You really don't want to know how I learned what they tasted like.]

On Tuesday I was treated to a delicious 3-course lunch in Oxford, all of which I ate, including a huge sponge pudding with berries and custard. Nothing wrong with MY appetite!

Pot noodles, yeah, I was working in a Midlands hospital at Xmas and the regular staff were discussing horrific-sounding diets. I listened with interest while dipping bread and butter in my cheese Pot Pasta.

Tesco meatballs- give'em t'dog.

You have my heart-felt sympathy Escargot. (Isn't it nice being a grown-up and able to control your own life? I still haven't got over the thrill and I'm nearly 40)
Jaffa cakes? Nah, take them or leave them, most likely leave.
Niles, you can get cinnamon flavoured toothpaste in the health food shops, it's called "Tom's Organic" It's quite yummy :blah:

Back