• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgotten History

Sounds interesting.

Spanish Republican Aces by Rafael A. Permuy López, Osprey Publishing, Oxford, UK, 2012, $22.95.

Rafael A. Permuy López opens his book with an admission that Spanish records related to the war are incomplete, a preface to an in-depth discussion of the nature and organization of the Republican air force, with its initial fleet of obsolete French fighters. These were soon supplemented by Polikarpov I-15s and I-16s furnished by the Soviet Union. The Soviet aircraft and the personnel who accompanied them are described in detail, but the emphasis is on the Spanish aces. López provides a capsule biography for each one, usually with a description of his most famous aerial combat.

The Loyalist air force was at a disadvantage at the start, for many of its officers had defected to the Nationalist cause. Over time, however, it reestablished itself and became temporarily dominant at various points on the front. Spanish Republican Aces is well illustrated, with more group photos than most books in this series, and ground crewmen are often included in the pictures. The Spanish fliers come across like young fighter pilots everywhere, smiling, eager for combat and loyal to each other.

As with all the books in this Osprey series, this one is filled with date and type details of individual victories and squadron war diaries. It complements the publisher’s earlier books on the subject, and includes a variety of interesting and often overlooked night-fighter operations.

https://www.historynet.com/spanish-republican-aces-review.htm

The CEO of Charles Schwab would sometimes take executive job candidates out to breakfast or lunch, meet with the server ahead of time, and tell them to screw up the candidates order. He would then see how the candidate reacts.

The CEO of Charles Schwab would sometimes take executive job candidates out to breakfast or lunch, meet with the server ahead of time, and tell them to screw up the candidates order. He would then see how the candidate reacts.
That's brilliant! :cool:

I wouldn't want to work for him!

I wouldn't want to work for him!
Why not? It would be a great test. One assumes Schwab was looking for how the candidate would react to the mistake and judge them on their handling of stress, desire to impress a potential boss, treatment of other people etc.

I'd easily pass it. When people serving me mess up I point it out politely and let them offer to put it right, and thank them graciously.
Basic good manners.

I think it maybe a too clever idea
Well, one take I heard goes like: if you want a "real" test of character, it needs to be something the person being tested doesn't expect. Just asking them questions? They might just tell you what they think you want to hear. It's when they don't know they're being tested that you get the best information.

There's an old story about the executive who takes an interviewee out to dinner and tells him he didn't get the job. When asked why, the executive says "You salted your food before tasting it. What if it was already salty?"

If I were that interviewee, I would have said "I eat here all the time. I know the chef makes that dish to please most people, but I like it saltier. So I take the small step of salting it myself. But now that I know you're the type of person who punishes people for their actions without bothering to find out their reasons, I would never want to work for you."

There's an old story about the executive who takes an interviewee out to dinner and tells him he didn't get the job. When asked why, the executive says "You salted your food before tasting it. What if it was already salty?"

If I were that interviewee, I would have said "I eat here all the time. I know the chef makes that dish to please most people, but I like it saltier. So I take the small step of salting it myself. But now that I know you're the type of person who punishes people for their actions without bothering to find out their reasons, I would never want to work for you."

I'd just say "WTF has it got to do with you what I put on my food"? (unless of course, it's some form of food tasting gig).

I'd just say "WTF has it got to do with you what I put on my food"? (unless of course, it's some form of food tasting gig).
I think it's more to do with doing things out of habit without assessing what needs to be done first, an example was my friend was having trouble with a warning light on his car telling him his catalytic converter needed replacing, he took it to a garage who quoted him something ridiculous in the thousands of pounds range, he took it to another garage who told him it was a common issue and he just needed to take the car for a longish drive at a highish speed and that would clear the error message.

I think it's more to do with doing things out of habit without assessing what needs to be done first, an example was my friend was having trouble with a warning light on his car telling him his catalytic converter needed replacing, he took it to a garage who quoted him something ridiculous in the thousands of pounds range, he took it to another garage who told him it was a common issue and he just needed to take the car for a longish drive at a highish speed and that would clear the error message.

Thanks, Confucious I didn't get that! :rolleyes: :D

A few decades ago there was a health scare about the dangers of 'hidden' salt in food. Chefs and manufacturers were urged to cut back on salt in their dishes and people were advised not add salt to meals without at least tasting the food first.

In that context, automatically going for the salt looks reckless or ignorant. Just a thought.

A few decades ago there was a health scare about the dangers of 'hidden' salt in food. Chefs and manufacturers were urged to cut back on salt in their dishes and people were advised not add salt to meals without at least tasting the food first.

In that context, automatically going for the salt looks reckless or ignorant. Just a thought.
My dad is exactly like that, first thing he does when he gets his food is smother it in salt, however I think his sense of taste is going so he probably needs the salt to help with that, but it winds mum up, I in the other hand only put added salt on to eggs, I don't even salt my chips.

I would have doubts over one who salted food without checking.

But there are many who do.

(I wont talk about the people who take an intricate dish and slaver it in tomato sauce.)

Guilty! I often put on salt or sauces out of habit, without first checking the food for taste.
But then, all my food tastes just how I want it, after I've added the condiments.
I don't care about offending the chef.

Like plumbers (for eg) who will charge hundreds for a job that is simple to do and the part(s) often cost only a couple of pounds. Makes my blood boil!

If I was that interviewee, I'd have thought of that exact reply two days later.

If I was that interviewee, I'd have thought of that exact reply two days later.
You need stock answers to impertinent remarks.
e.g.
'You look stupid in Lycra.' 'It's about fitness.'
'Yes but it's tight and shiny.' 'It's about fitness.'
'Well I wouldn't be seen DEAD in it!' 'It's about fitness.'

'Those e-bikes are cheating.' 'Yes, they are expensive.'
'You're supposed to do all the work yourself!' 'Yes, they are expensive.'
'You'll never get fit with one of those!' 'Yes, they are expensive.'

'Your car is old!' 'It's just a car.'
'It's tatty!' 'It's just a car.'
'You could trade it in for a new one!' 'It's just a car.'
'Mine's new!' 'It's just a car.'
etc

You need stock answers to impertinent remarks.
e.g.
'You look stupid in Lycra.' 'It's about fitness.'
'Yes but it's tight and shiny.' 'It's about fitness.'
'Well I wouldn't be seen DEAD in it!' 'It's about fitness.'

'Those e-bikes are cheating.' 'Yes, they are expensive.'
'You're supposed to do all the work yourself!' 'Yes, they are expensive.'
'You'll never get fit with one of those!' 'Yes, they are expensive.'

'Your car is old!' 'It's just a car.'
'It's tatty!' 'It's just a car.'
'You could trade it in for a new one!' 'It's just a car.'
'Mine's new!' 'It's just a car.'
etc
''Yes, I understand'' is also a good one, especially when dealing with an angry woman.

A word to the wise: 'Yeah...' does not mean the same as 'Yes!' or especially 'Yes! Oh yes! Yes!'
Definitely! With the right intonation it's an effective way to say "F*** You" without offending delicate sensibilities within earshot. :evillaugh:

Back