• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Just a heads-up - they have The Legend Of Hellhouse on Netflix.

Exactly the type of semi-cheesy horror film that used to play on Saturday afternoon TV. :D

There was a similar film of which the title is now lost to me - the only thing I can remember is that it had a similar plot and one of the actresses was a redhead who had one of those 60's cone hairstyles. Does any one remember it, by chance?

Could it have been the Haunted House of Horror:

Or maybe the Nightcomers?

UK 18: 2018, two thirds of the UK population have already had RFID chips implanted. The deadline for the end voluntary registration for implantation is approaching and opposition to this Government programme is seen as subversive even as a form of terrorism.

Eloise is making a documentary, interviewing various activists about austerity, war and the RFID programme. You have soldiers talking about the Gulf and PTSD, others discussing cuts to Disability payments, Mind Control, Fake News. Some too shouty to get valid messages across or even incoherent.

Eloise herself fears she is being subject to mind control by a government agency and she grows increasingly depressed as her producer and backers get cold feet about the documentary.

Sections of the documentary are intercut with actual and fictional TV news along with Eloise's personal life. An effective Political Conspiracy thriller made on a shoe-string budget. 86 minutes. 8/10.

https://andytiernan.wixsite.com/uk18

I'm only calling Swiss Army Man Fortean because it's so bizarre, but if you like fart humour, think Weekend at Bernie's is underrated, like a story that verges closely to homosexual necrophilia, and appreciate how lonely men who pine for female company begin to realise with horror it makes them look like total weirdos, then this is the movie for you!

Some absolutely love it, and it is good, but I wasn't totally wowed. Daniel Radcliffe as the zombie is really great, though, I like his choices. It's not as if he needs to work anymore!

Saving this for later. technically a TV movie, but looks fun. RIP, Johnny H.

The original '68 version, which many have stated is the only version to watch. I prefer to make up my own mind.

The Hurt version rewrites the source too much, puts in too much backstory and spoils its eerie simplicity. The first version is great, though.

The Hurt version rewrites the source too much, puts in too much backstory and spoils its eerie simplicity. The first version is great, though.

The 1968 version terrified me when I was a kid.

The 1968 version terrified me when I was a kid.

I first encountered the story being read by Robert Powell in a series of M.R. James tales on BBC2, whenever that was. It was striking to me even then, and when I caught up with the 60s TV adaptation I thought it really captured a lot of what was excellent about it, with a little satirical twist thrown in, possibly at James' expense.

What the hell's going on and why hasn't anyone told me about this film yet ? .. it looks bloody ace !! even if Harry Potter is in it ..

Swiss Army Man - a fan made montage of scenes from the film apparently .. if anyone here has seen it I'd be interested to know more ..

Last edited:
I thought I'd posted about Swiss Army Man on this very thread, but can't find it now. Anyway, it's really decent, I didn't love it as much as some but if you want a homoerotic fable about a regret-filled man who finds a new lease of life without women but with a farting corpse, this is the movie for you. Two great central performances, they truly commit.

I thought I'd posted about Swiss Army Man on this very thread, but can't find it now. ...

I, too, could have sworn Swiss Army Man had been mentioned on FTMB not all that long ago. There's no trace of it to be found ... :confused:

It's a genuine mystery! Or with this board, business as usual...

... if you want a homoerotic fable about a regret-filled man who finds a new lease of life without women but with a farting corpse, this is the movie for you.

Not that same old story line again ? .. (sounds great!)

So, story time; many years ago, when I was but a callow youth, Channel 4 would show weird short films in peak time.
I saw one which, as I remembered, was set in a bar and involved a guys head falling apart, and "The Girl From Ipanema".
It made quite the impression on me, as it was so damned weird.

Since the advent of the internet I have spent many fruitless hours searching for this Holy Grail, to no avail.
And then this past weekend, I was on one of my favoured P2P type sites and some kind soul had uploaded it.
One Youtube search later, and I present you with "The Lounge Bar"...:

So, story time; many years ago, when I was but a callow youth, Channel 4 would show weird short films in peak time.
I saw one which, as I remembered, was set in a bar and involved a guys head falling apart, and "The Girl From Ipanema".
It made quite the impression on me, as it was so damned weird.

Since the advent of the internet I have spent many fruitless hours searching for this Holy Grail, to no avail.
And then this past weekend, I was on one of my favoured P2P type sites and some kind soul had uploaded it.
One Youtube search later, and I present you with "The Lounge Bar"...:

Very good.

I enjoyed that!

Anomalisa been mentioned yet?
Good Fortean credentials. Immediately recognised Dave Thewlis' voice. As with other Kaufmann films I've seen, I was rewarded after sticking through quite a slow first half. Don't really know how to describe it without spoiling. Give it a look. Sweet little film.

RT 93%

Pilgrimage: 1207, a remote Monastic settlement in the West of Ireland holds a Sacred Relic is visited by a Cistercian Monk who tells the community their Relic is needed in Rome. A group of monks travel across the war torn island with the Relic. Even when they meet up with Norman soldiers their troubles are far from over. A Celtic Clan who were dispossessed by the Normans have returned to the Old Pagan beliefs.

Tom Holland stars as a novice Monk who is caught up in the web of violence. He's convincing in the role as is John Lynch as an elder Monk who was a Crusader in the past. Richard Armitage as a nasty Norman Knight and Jon Bernthal as a mysterious mute lay brother.

The Relic is rumoured to have miraculous powers and events suggest this may be the case. This is a savage film containing graphic violence and torture. Heads on stakes, hands chopped off, those are the least disturbing bits. Film Critic Donald Clarke wrote: The film is closer to Conan the Barbarian than Martin Scorsese’s Silence. That is no bad thing. Hes right!

In English, Irish and French. 96 minutes. 8.5/10.

Last edited:
Pilgrimage: 1207, a remote Monastic settlement in the West of Ireland holds a Sacred Relic is visited by a Cistercian Monk who tells the community their Relic is needed in Rome. A group of monks travel across war torn the war torn island with the Relic. Even when they meet up with Norman soldiers their troubles are far from over. A Celtic Clan who were dispossessed by the Normans have returned to the Old Pagan beliefs.

Tom Holland stars as a novice Monk who is caught up in the web of violence. He's convincing in the role as is John Lynch as an elder Monk who was a Crusader in the past. Richard Armitage as a nasty Norman Knight and Jon Bernthal as a mysterious mute lay brother.

The Relic is rumoured to have miraculous powers and events suggest this may be the case. This is a savage film containing graphic violence and torture. Heads on stakes, hands chopped off, those are the least disturbing bits. Film Critic Donald Clarke wrote: The film is closer to Conan the Barbarian than Martin Scorsese’s Silence. That is no bad thing. Hes right!

I hate it when things like that keep happening ..

Pilgrimage: 1207, a remote Monastic settlement in the West of Ireland holds a Sacred Relic is visited by a Cistercian Monk who tells the community their Relic is needed in Rome. A group of monks travel across the war torn island with the Relic. Even when they meet up with Norman soldiers their troubles are far from over. A Celtic Clan who were dispossessed by the Normans have returned to the Old Pagan beliefs.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Nothing epic. Just a damn good tale, well acted, and well presented. No women... at all. None. hm
4/5

Neither Heaven Nor Earth A French army unit is stationed in Western Afghanistan. Soldiers and local insurgent fighters begin to vanish without a trace. Surprisingly good, I thought.

This is looking pretty weird:

Amanda Fuller is dynamite in Simon Rumley's (Red, White & Blue) mind-bending gothic psychodrama about a fashion-obsessed woman whose life falls spectacularly apart. You're unlikely to see many better performances this year than Amanda Fuller's mesmerising turn as April, a 30-something whose self-image and perception of life is determined by the vintage clothes she wears and sells at a funky Emporium in Austin, Texas with husband Eric (Freak Me Out favourite Ethan Embry; The Devil's Candy, SFF 2016; Cheap Thrills, SFF 2013). When Eric strays, a devastated April meets Randall, a smooth-talker with a predilection for strange sexual games. That's just the start of this dazzlingly filmed and superbly edited journey into real and imagined worlds. A killer soundtrack rounds out the best film yet by genre-mashing British ace Simon Rumley (The Living and the Dead).

Paterson: A film by Jim Jarmusch. About a bus driver poet named Paterson, set in Paterson NJ. Fortean quirks with Twins, synchronicity and his partner who paints everything black & white, even her clothes and curtains. She also bakes black & white cup cakes but I don't think it involves paint. I feared that her tan & white English Bulldog would also be re-coloured black & white. Fortunately she just painted portraits of the dog. 9/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5247022/
Watched it overnight. Deeply affected me, like all of JJ's best works do. I love his characters. You watch the film a few times and they feel like friends. You get to know one another. Well that's what I posted in a competition and won three of JJ's criterion collection dvds. I rate JJ as one of my 5 favourite film makers. America's answer to Wim Wenders.

Paterson is one of those films in which very little happens and yet there is so much to savour. It got me writing again. Inspirational performances. 5/5

Agree with Skinny, Paterson is a very gentle and relaxing film, well, until what happens with the poetry book, that set me on edge! Not quite up there with Down By Law, Dead Man or Only Lovers Left Alive, but he makes films like nobody else.

Easy Rider.
The alternative lifers of the 1960s drew their various philosophies from a range of well-known (today) authors and paractitioners. They were experimenting with their world and challenging the big paradigms. Its also bloody funny at times. Gonna dust off the dvd and have another look now. Chase it with a bit of Woodstock: Director's Cut.

Back