• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
^ One film I haven't seen before! Maybe I'll watch it sometime.

I'm sceptical that the director Eli Roth (who brought us Cabin Fever, House of a Thousand Corpses and Devil's Reject) can handle this fantasy film adaption, not to mention he's hired comedian Jack Black for it .. 'The House With A Clock In Its Walls' ..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78371

I'm sceptical that the director Eli Roth (who brought us Cabin Fever, House of a Thousand Corpses and Devil's Reject) can handle this fantasy film adaption, not to mention he's hired comedian Jack Black for it .. 'The House With A Clock In Its Walls' ..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78371

He's Eli Roth who brought us Cabin Fever and Hostel and Green Inferno, whilst it was Rob Zombie who brought us House of a Thousand Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, however your scepticism of his handling of a fantasy film adaption stands. I would however counter with Peter Jackson who brought us Bad Taste, Braindead and er Lord of the Rings as an example of a director who found his fantasy Mojo.

If you haven't seen it, and in memory of John Hurt, I'd very much recommend The Shout, one of the strangest films ever made. It's a largely low-key affair starring Alan Bates as a man who says he spent years with aborigines learning how to shout people to death, among other things...
I watched this yesterday after it popped up on one of those channel at the bottom of the free-sat list. I'll need to watch it again...

It's very good, No silly music, no obviously signalling of events, great cinematography and an odd non-liner narrative. Quite mesmerizing, if not entirely obvious what's going on at first.

This seems quite an odd little masterpiece... the Google translation for what it's about:
Animated short film in which Madame Tutli-Putli boarded a night train, dragging with her all her possessions. Traveling alone, she shares her cabin with strangers of seeming benevolent, sometimes menacing. When night falls, she finds herself in the midst of an agonizing metaphysical adventure, in which reality is confused with dreams. Jungian Thriller? Suspense hitchcock? Artistic feat? Get on board, the night train awaits you ...

This video is not available.

Two interesting short films whose links will hopefully work:

Coda
A lost soul stumbles drunken through the city. In a park, Death finds him and shows him many things.

Water Lily - Birth of the Lotus
Water Lily ! An invented Japanese tale about the birth of the lotus flower... Made in Supinfocom Valenciennes (2015)

I'm not sure where to post Robin William's (R.I.P.) The World According To Garp film .. it certainly quirky, his mother impregnates herself by mounting and riding a wounded soldier and becomes a feminist hero, his wife bites one of her student's cock off by accident, his best mate is a transexual ex football player and so on and so on ... do yourselves a favour and watch this classic if you haven't already ..

Dave Made A Maze looks interesting so far .. a sort of new cardboard Being John Malokovitch ?

....a review

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78340
************SPOILERS*****************

I've cooled down for a couple of days after watching this, I didn't love it but I did like it, this film could be shuffled into the modern art is rubbish thread, it's certainly hipster /New York/The Village styled Being John Malkovitch stuff and comes off as an ambitious art student film that would have benefited from only a few thousand more dollars spent on it to polish it off ..

Dave's partner comes home to find the cardboard structure in her living room .. she's amazingly understanding at the beginning as well as throughout the film .. eventually, a crowd of her fellow hipsters congregate around these twelve or so cardboard boxes and just go with it ... if Dave doesn't want to come out then Dave doesn't have to ..

Of course, she cracks (after throwing a sandwich through the cardboard entrance) and enters, as do the others (apart from the homeless man who raids the fridge after they've all ignored Dave's warnings) ..

What we encounter now is a mixture of The Goonies booby traps (confetti red paper blood for death scenes), Malkovitch distortions and rules, Evil Dead 2 injokes including Dave having an Ash type cardboard hand, paintings spinning and doors slamming and opening and a cellar cardboard witch chained up ... the last 20 minutes takes us musically into Spielbergsville ... and there's a Minotaur .. and our heroes on and off turn into zero budget crap cardboard box puppets .. and a deliberately unexplained Edwardian looking couple having a picnic as one of our heroes is trying to escape form the partially cardboard Minotaur .. I think the set designers had more fun than anyone else in this Willy Wonker type madness ..

The film obeys all the 3 act structures but also takes the piss in a hipster way.

Last edited:
Roswell (1994) starring Kyle McLachlan

Watched it again today. Very frustrating as it was so poorly directed. Could have been a good film in more capable hands. The acting is entirely uninspired and the visual effects corny. Dwight Yoakam gave the best performance of the lot as Mac Brazzel. 1.5/5

The Lobster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lobster

Absurdist dystopian black comedy set in a world where if you don't have a partner after 45 days you will be changed into an animal of your choice.

It's probably the best thing Colin Farrell has ever done, (not saying much),Rachel Weisz steals every scene she is in and that includes the ones with the jaw-droppingly beautiful Lea Seydoux. (Blue is the Warmest Coulour, etc), but does it work?

Yes and no basically.

Critics felt it was a comment on modern dating methods I think it was more a comment on how hypercritical and puritanical the world is getting.

OTT violence, very funny in parts, lots of explicit references to sex, yet way too long and fizzles out about halfway to three quaters of the way through.

Also loses points for under-using Olivia Coleman and John C Reilly.

6 out of 10.

6 out of 10 is about right, very original, but its misanthropy is really offputting. And doganthropy, if that's a word. Gets very nasty in places. Not funny at all.

6 out of 10 is about right, very original, but its misanthropy is really offputting. And doganthropy, if that's a word. Gets very nasty in places. Not funny at all.

The whole dog scene was well out of order.

Anyone here seen Lake Mungo? I won't spoil it, but it's like a Paranormal Activity sequel only good. Actually gets frightening in places thanks to clever use of slender means by the director (who according to IMDB seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet after this sole feature in 2008). More proof the Aussies have a real knack for the eerie.

He's Eli Roth who brought us Cabin Fever and Hostel and Green Inferno, whilst it was Rob Zombie who brought us House of a Thousand Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, however your scepticism of his handling of a fantasy film adaption stands. I would however counter with Peter Jackson who brought us Bad Taste, Braindead and er Lord of the Rings as an example of a director who found his fantasy Mojo.
Yeah I got my directors mixed up NF, Heckler posted this to me a while back ..

i rented "brotherhood of the wolf" from amazon. there was no english subtitles. so the young lad i work with :pcheers: a copy. NOT stealing! i paid for it in good faith.

When the beast is doing its stuff it's thrilling, but that's about three times in the whole movie. Most of the time it was horse riding and brothel visiting. in slow motion. "oooo it's been 3 months and we have not seen the beast". WELL DRAG YOUR ARSE OUT OF THE BROTHEL.

I watched it years ago and really enjoyed it, but now i would give it 5/10

Yep I gave it a 3/10.

Really? Did you not think they recreated those paranormal TV documentaries with ashen-faced witnesses and stuffy experts with genuine authenticity? Plus the big reveal at the end was highly amusing.

Really? Did you not think they recreated those paranormal TV documentaries with ashen-faced witnesses and stuffy experts with genuine authenticity? Plus the big reveal at the end was highly amusing.

I can't tell the genuine paranormal tv docs from the parodies. That prob accounts for the low score. Been a minute since I've seen it.

I can't tell the genuine paranormal tv docs from the parodies. That prob accounts for the low score. Been a minute since I've seen it.

I liked that it suggested if this one they made was a convincing fake, then they all could be. All the "plot" beats, the varying quality of the imagery, the understated conviction from the cast. Although according to IMDB it's about grief, I suppose that could be accurate too.

The Lure, out on Criterion Blu-Ray next month, looks interesting...

81S7i3eyGbL._SX342_.jpg

Mermaids take the stage in Polish director Agnieszka Smoczynska’s horror musical, a cult classic in the making.This genre-defying horror-musical mash-up—the bold debut of Polish director AGNIESZKA SMOCZYNSKA— follows a pair of carnivorous mermaid sisters drawn ashore to explore life on land in an alternate 1980s Poland. Their tantalizing siren songs and otherworldly auras make them overnight sensations as nightclub singers in the half-glam, half-decrepit world of Smoczynska’s imagining. The director gives fierce teeth to her viscerally sensual, darkly feminist twist on Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid,” in which the girls’ bond is tested and their survival threatened after one sister falls for a human. A coming-of-age fairy tale with a catchy synth-fuelled soundtrack, outrageous song-and-dance numbers, and lavishly grimy sets, The Lure explores its themes of emerging female sexuality, exploitation, and the compromises of adulthood with savage energy and originality.

I think this will be cool - the world's first oil-painted feature!

http://lovingvincent.com/ LOVING VINCENT is the world’s first fully oil painted feature film. Written & directed by Dorota Kobiela & Hugh Welchman, produced by Poland’s BreakThru Films & UK’s Trademark Films. The film brings the paintings of Vincent van Gogh to life to tell his remarkable story. Every one of the 65,000 frames of the film is an oil-painting hand-painted by 125 professional oil-painters who travelled from all across the world to the Loving Vincent studios in Poland and Greece to be a part of the production. As remarkable as Vincent’s brilliant paintings, is his passionate and ill-fated life, and mysterious death. In theaters beginning September 22

I think this will be cool - the world's first oil-painted feature!

That looks stunning! Rotoscoping by using oil paintings. Reminds me a bit of 'What Dreams May Come'.

Back