• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Police kill zebra after it nearly bites off owner's arm​

/ What's black and white and red all over?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-kill-zebra-after-bit-off-owners-arm/story?id=97826368

----------------------
Police killed a zebra in Ohio after it attacked and nearly bit off its owner's arm.

Officers from the Pickaway County Sheriff's Office were called Sunday to a rural property in Circleville, Ohio, around 5:36 p.m. They found Ronald Clifton on the ground in front of a herd of zebras. He was hemorrhaging blood below his right elbow from a bite wound, according to the police report.

An officer placed his car between the 72-year-old victim and the herd to help tend to Clifton when he said "a large male zebra charged my driver side door and was acting very hostile," the police report said.

Will the madness never end?

Pork seized by Hull inspectors in fight against African swine fever
Officials have seized pork at East Yorkshire ports in an effort to control the spread of African swine fever.
A total of 80kg of imported meat has been seized since measures to combat the disease were introduced.

incredibly long URL link

I've heard the seaweed is lovely this time of year.

Giant, stinky seaweed bloom headed for Florida
Florida beaches may soon be overrun by massive patches of foul-smelling seaweed.
It is the Atlantic sargassum belt, and while not new, it has been growing bigger than ever.
This year's belt is about 5,500 miles long and weighs 10 million tons. It travels throughout the year, from West Africa to the Gulf of Mexico.
This summer, it is expected to stink up beaches all over the Sunshine state.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64971586

Holstein calf with smiling face markings lands role as farm lawnmower for life​

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2...est-gippsland-smiling-face-markings/102104040

2023_03_18_11_19_08_Holstein_calf_with_smiling_face_markings_lands_role_as_farm_lawnmower_for_...jpg

I'm not trying to be funny here: how is a drunk arguing with police news? I'm sure this kind of thing happens thousands of times a day across the world

It's just part of my campaign against Cork, trying to get it twinned with Cromer. So many Cork crime headlines but they're not all as good as:

Man accused of throwing snake at woman in her Cork home​

or

Search for missing cat led to discovery of dismembered body, Cork murder trial told​

It's just part of my campaign against Cork, trying to get it twinned with Cromer. So many Cork crime headlines but they're not all as good as:

Man accused of throwing snake at woman in her Cork home​

or

Search for missing cat led to discovery of dismembered body, Cork murder trial told​

Accepted. My question was more about why the Irish Examiner thought it was newsworthy - or why it actually resulted in a jail term. Are the gardaí, and the Irish population in general, particularly sensitive to this kind of thing? I don't see anything that implies he was actually violent or particularly dangerous, just verbally insulting and a bit rambunctious. From the sound of it, this is the kind of thing that happens all the time and is usually solved by driving the guy home or putting him in the drunk tank until he sobers up.

Accepted. My question was more about why the Irish Examiner thought it was newsworthy - or why it actually resulted in a jail term. Are the gardaí, and the Irish population in general, particularly sensitive to this kind of thing? I don't see anything that implies he was actually violent or particularly dangerous, just verbally insulting and a bit rambunctious. From the sound of it, this is the kind of thing that happens all the time and is usually solved by driving the guy home or putting him in the drunk tank until he sobers up.

Normally a guy like him would be taken home or let sleep it off. He was brought before the courts because he kept challenging the cops to a fight when they tried to help him. He also has past convictions (see below) and was likely still in prison when this case came to court. The judge didn't make the sentence consecutive to his existing term so it likely expires at the end of that.

The Irish Examiner was formerly known as The Cork Examiner and hasn't quite escaped it's Provincial roots.

RESTRICTIONS caused by the Covid pandemic resulted in a Cork man’s business collapsing and him getting into all sorts of trouble since then and now he has been given a five-month jail term for smashing up a café table at the boardwalk in Cork and throwing it into the River Lee.

Patrick O’Driscoll of 29 Comeragh Park, The Glen, Cork, pleaded guilty at Cork District Court to charges of causing criminal damage to the café property – namely a table costing €200. He also admitted being drunk and a source of danger and engaging in threatening behaviour on the occasion.

Sergeant Gearóid Davis said it happened at Fly Coffee, Boardwalk, Lapps Quay, Cork. ...

The defendant was highly intoxicated at the time of the incident. The accused had 17 previous convictions for being drunk and a danger, ten for engaging in threatening behaviour and two for causing criminal damage. ...

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41044496.html

Bent nails at Roman burial site form “magical barrier” to keep dead from rising​

/the magic nails have been moved to a museum by the archaeologists, just in case you were wondering who started the zombie apocalypse.

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...form-magical-barrier-to-keep-dead-from-rising

----------------------------------------------
Archaeologists excavating an early Roman imperial tomb in Turkey have uncovered evidence of unusual funerary practices. Instead of the typical method of being cremated on a funeral pyre and the remains relocated to a final resting place, these burnt remains had been left in place and covered in brick tiles and a layer of lime. Finally, several dozen bent and twisted nails, some with the heads pinched off, had been scattered around the burn site. The archaeologists suggest that this is evidence of magical thinking, specifically an attempt to prevent the deceased from rising from the grave to haunt the living, according to a recent paper published in the journal Antiquity.

Is it just me, or does this article seem like it has been written by an AI system?
Although the topic lends itself to this thread, I think this could just as easily go in the AI thread.
The way it is written just seems awkward, clunky, lacking in 'feel'.
https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/1052022-video-mysterious-lightening-over-us-sky-surprises-people
Yes, very odd phrasing. And they use miles and kilograms which although a slightly odd combination isn't football pitches or penguins.

Back