Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Paul Whelan: The strange case of the ex-marine jailed for spying in Russia
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53110087

... There were signs of problems even earlier.

Almost exactly a year before Paul Whelan's arrest, a Norwegian staying at the same central Moscow hotel was arrested and charged with espionage. A retired border guard, Frode Berg admitted to delivering envelopes of cash and spy instructions on behalf of Norwegian military intelligence agency.

His arrest and 14-year prison sentence caused a scandal back home when it emerged that civilians with no diplomatic cover were being used for high-risk espionage. There were even allegations that Norway was under pressure to obtain the information from its partners in Nato.

Former CIA officers have dismissed any suggestion that Whelan could be involved in something similar, operating without diplomatic immunity: the idea, floated by one retired Russian officer, that his arrest was a "great failure" of US intelligence.

Squail

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
This chap seems from the above: like a flawed human being, rather than a fiend -- some with strong feelings on this particular issue, may disagree.

I'd never heard of the guy before: the name "did a number" for me, because of my being something of a fan of the American fantasy / alternative-history author Harry Turtledove: his generally-reckoned "magnusest opus" being his multi-volume saga of a historical time-line where in the American Civil War, the Confederacy wins early on, and successfully secedes. Much ensues, which is fairly horrible all-round -- including the First and Second World Wars happening on schedule; but the (very relative) "goodies" therein, being Germany and its allies, including the United States of America; and the "baddies", Britain, France, Russia, and the Confederate States of America. In WWI, the "goodies" win, thus setting the stage for WWII (things as per real-world history, just flipped around).

In Turtledove's WWII, the "Hitler" of the Confederate States -- coming to absolute power early 1930s -- is one Jake Featherston. I'd imagined this name, just to have been randomly thought up by the author; but maybe, inspired to him by "Winnie" as above? Turtledove's Jake F. is shown as a thoroughgoing ruthless and utterly fanatical bastard -- he has a very pragmatic agenda as regards the "race-and-black-people question" in his country: acts accordingly -- and come World War II and his chance to do whatever he likes: implements (like his real-life counterpart and the Jews) a "final solution" to take care of the blacks -- which mostly succeeds; before in 1944, the United States invades, conquers and occupies the Confederate States.

Last edited:

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
A suspect package sent six people to the hospital and caused an evacuation -- its contents turned out to be some very smelly fruit

/it's durian

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/europe/durian-germany-evacuation-scli-intl-grm/index.html
Not at all surprising when durian is involved. I'm told that - some time before I started in my present workplace - some people in my office brought some durian in to share. Folks in other offices nearby called the campus police to report a gas leak.

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar