• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Hi - Yeah, Mount Vernon are excellent. I recommend :

Seance at Hobs Lane
Musick Destroys itself
One Minute Blasts Rising to Three and Then Diminishing
E is For Experimental

Ochre records in Scotland stock their stuff, and some is on World Serpent. They have a few other releases which I haven't picked up yet.

Thanks for pointing that my way JerryB, as I was considering posting an almost identical thread (having not turned up anything using the search facility).

I find a good set of headphones give a whole new dimension to many records, I would particularly recommend using them when you are very tired as you can acheive some very, very strange hypnagogic hallucinations this way.
Good scary headphone-music could include Plastikman's 'Musik' album, which is quite the most scary music ever, and is the only record that makes me physically jump in suprise.
Future Sound of London are good on 'phones too.

If you like aliens, try Eat Static,
loads of samples about being abducted/close enounters, etc, in Texan accents, all good fun !

For me, the most interesting Fortean bit of music I own is Time Machines by Coil - it's intended as 'four tones to enable time travel'. Quite. Apparently there's a 5 disk box set that's going to be released sometime in the future. :)

Scariest CD ever is 'Luminous Darkness' by Cyclobe. This music is seriously disturbing (in a very non-cheesey way), and just sounds horrifically wrong. It was written with the help of channelled entities, aparently. Even the cover's freaky in a strangely unique way...:eek: :eek!!!!:

Originally posted by joester
[BIf you like aliens, try Eat Static,
loads of samples about being abducted/close enounters, etc, in Texan accents, all good fun !

Gulf Breeze is one isn't it?- aint heard that in years.

How about Tangerine Dream, brrrr.....
they even did the score to 'The Keep' a damn good book and film which is one of my favourites but I struggle to listen to their stuff.

Not advisable to listen to 'Phaedra' while trying to relax in the bath.

I think there are two categories here:

1) Music that is inspired by Fortean subjects, which could be very mainstream and unfortean in itself e.g. "Calling Occupants of Inter-planetary Craft" by The Carpenters

2) Music that could in itself be described as Fortean, e.g. "Outsider" music, extreme experimentalism - stuff that pushed the boundaries of what is normally considered music (lots of the stuff mentioned above), or religious or ceremonial music designed to promote altered states of consciousness (the Master Musicians of JouJouka spring to mind)

GiantRobot said:
Is anyone else out there a fan of such High Musical Strangeness, and are there any interesting recommendations?

A friend of mine makes music under the name Band Of Pain - and his latest "Que Amiga?" I find deeply strange and unsettling...

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?source=2&page=title&r=CDJ&title=131583

Inhabitant - The definition (2) was what I had in mind for this thread when I started it, you certainly said it better.

Cool - in that case I'll throw in Mogwai, Godspeed You Black Emperor! and Lift to Experience, all of which take me to some very strange places indeed.

I LOVE Godspeed You Black Emperor! - I think they're fantastic.

"I open up my wallet - and it's full of blood."

So. Damn. Good.:cool:

Yep - they're awesome. I saw them last year in London and they blew me away - which was doubly impressive since they hardly even moved on stage.

Slavonic Dances, Op. 72: No. 2 In E Minor by Dvorák is perfectly ghostly. One of the most pleasantly haunting melodies I've ever heard.

There's also 'Dance Macabre' by Camille Saint-Saens, one of my all time favorites.

And 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' is pretty fortean (or as I prefer to say, daimonic) also.

Andro was talking about The bonzo dog do dah band on tv reminders which brought back memories.

I'm the urban spaceman baby, I've got speed

I've got everything I need
I'm the urban spaceman baby, I can fly
I'm a supersonic guy

I don't need pleasure
I don't feel pain
If you were to knock me down
I'd just get up again
I'm the urban spaceman babe and
I'm making out
I'm all about

I wake up every morning
with a smile upon my face
My natural exuberance
spills out all over the place
I'm the urban spaceman
I'm intelligent and clean
Know what I mean?

I'm the urban spaceman, as a lover second to none
It's a lot of fun

I never let my friends down
I've never made a boob
I'm a glossy magazine
an advert in the tube
I'm the urban spaceman babe, but here comes the twist
I don't exist.

fortean tracks ,,,

Just found this thread .... years later!!

How about;-

Witch Queen of New Orleans - Redbone

Black Magic Woman - Santana

Angie Baby - Helen Reddy

Tiger Feet - Mud

Drop Kick Me Jesus Through The Goalposts of Life - Artist Unknown

Purple People Eater - A.U.

Monster Mash - Crypt Kicker Five

In The Year 2525 - A>U>

Hotel California - The Eagles

Re: fortean tracks ,,,

hecate said:
Purple People Eater - A.U.

In The Year 2525 - A>U>

the purple people eater. was done by originally by sheb wooley and then bernard cribbings (?) (no1 in finland for some reason) iirc

in the yr 2525. by zeiger(sp?) & evans

------------------------
magic fly
ballad for space lovers
tango in space
flying nightmare by space (the original french band)

on the 8th day
monsters in desguise
big brother by hazel o conner

the magic roundabout album by eric thompson/serge danot

funky moped/the magic roundabout by jasper carrott

the anne boleyn song by the kingstone trio singers

the galaxy song by eric idle

ernie by benny hill

star trekkin by the firm

dr who and the darleks by the snowmen (?)

rhinegeld cycle by wagner

the nutcracker suite by tchaikovsky

journey to the center of the earth by alan wakeman

king of the fairies
the silver spear by the horselips

radio chaos by syd barrett

sirius
robin hood by clannad

under your thumb
madam guillotine
twisted nerve by goldley and creme

2 minutes to midnight
number of the beast
the prisoner
22 acacia ave
7th son of a 7th son
can i play with madness?
moonchild
inifinite dreams
the prophecy
clairvoyant
hallowed be thy name
invaders
children of the damned
holy smoke
fates warning by iron maiden

im a believer
shades of grey
star collector
tapioca tundra by the monkees

strange magic
mr blue sky
evil woman by elo

mysterious semblance ay the strand of nightmares
by tangerine dreams

on a storytellers night
les morts dansant by magum (great artwork on the cover by rodney matthews)

thats all for now :D

[edit] for the following

the rocky horror picture show film/stage show/lp (by richard o brian and cast)

1st excursion
incantations
the path
woodhenge
arrival
taurus
wonderfull land
moonlight shadow
shadow on the wall
trick of the light
legend
magic touch
hergist ridge
earth moving
1 glance is holy hard and holy mix
crysral gazing
stars end by mike oldfield

panic by the scoop

this old house
green door by shakin stevens

searching by change

joan of arch
maid of orleans
tesla girls by omd

land of make believe by bucks fizz

xanadu by olivia newton john

senses working overtime by xtc

the voice
by ultlavox

mirror mirror by dollar

angles on sunday by matchbox

speed demon
a another part of me ( :rofl: ) by m jackson

its a sin by pet shop boys

the dream maker by mike batt

mirror man by human league

heart and soul
road to our dream by t'pau

wildest dreams by asia

fire on the water by chris de burgh

the visitors
like a angel passing through my room by abba

memories of green
intestinal bat
dervish d
abledo 0.39
pulstar
aries
the dragon
ying and yang
ill find my way home
blade runner
missing by vangelis

oxygene
equinoxe by jarre

star fleet album by brain may

monsters and angles by voice of the beehive

fireball by deep purple

theme from the space invaders/firecracker by the yellow magic orchistra

watcher of the skies by genisis

silver machine
elric at the end of time by hawkwind (with michael moorcock)

dancing in outer space by atmosfear

together in electric dreams by giorgio moroder and phillip oakey

moonlight sonata by beethoven

tales from the vienna woods
die fledermaus (the bat) by j. strauss

the magic flute by verdi

the planets by holst

flight of the bumble bee by rimsky korsakov

dance of the hours by ponchielli

machine messiah
tempus fugit
revealing science of god
dance of the dawn
the ancient giants under the sun
future times
arriving ufo
heart of the sunrise
southside of the sky
eclipse
starship trooper
the gates of delirium by yes

nightmare by saxon

fantasia by leopold stokowski (original picutre sound track)

songs from the wood
jack-in-the-green
ring out, solstic bells
fire at midnight
witches promise
living in the past
rainbow blues by jethro tull

welcome to the machine
shine on you crazy diamond
learning to fly
arnold layne
see emily play
interstella overdrive
carefull with that axe eugene
time
dark side of the moon by pink floyd

stairway to heaven
kashmere
piper at the gates of dawn by led zep

sphinx (the guardian)
7th star
after fore ever
children of the grave
into the void
behind the wall of sleep
n.i.b
sleeping village by black sabbath

incubus by marrilion

in the future to come by europe

heart of glass
bermuda triangle blues (flight 45) by blondie

shaman's blues
not to touch the earth by the doors

evening falls by enya

crazy crazy nights by kiss

living on a prayer by bon jovi

brave new world
rise of the machine
(the epilogue) by jeff wayne

promenade/gnome by mussorgsky

voyage of the acolyte (album) by steve hackett

im bugged
science friction by xtc

crazy by 999

creatures of doom by the only ones

terror eyes by elctro hippies

rabid pigs
happy bunny goes fluff fluff along by jesus lizard

the sign of the hammer
thunder pick
guyana (cult of the damned) by manowar

billion dollar babies
sick things
i love the dead by alice cooper

white rabbit
fading lady light
things to come
awakering
fire by jefferson starship

march to the scaffold
moonroof
dance of the big fairies by sky

amazing journey
pinball wizard
go to the mirror
smash the mirror
im free
mirical cure by the who

dream of the dolphin
rivers of belief by enigma

[/edit]

(still more to come but do i win? :D. )

By way of resurrection:

Hangar 18

Welcome to our fortress tall
Take some time to show you around
Impossible to break these walls
For you see the steel is much too strong
Computer banks to rule the world
Instruments to sight the stars

Possibly I've seen to much
Hangar 18 I know too much

Foreign life forms inventory
Suspended state of cryogenics
Selective amnesia's the story
Believed foretold but who'd suspect
The military Intelligence
Two words combined that can't make sense

Possibly I've seen to much
Hangar 18 I know too much

The single strangest music i have ever heard as to be The Sacred Hymns by G I Gurdjieff performed by Kieth Jarret.

I dont know how many other Fortean fanatics have ever heard this music, a friend of mine has a copy on vinyl and i'll never forget the first time he played it me. I think now you can purchase it on CD, probably through Amazon, but for years the only copy available was the vinyl LP version.

The music was contructed by Gurdjieff and is based on mathamatics. He claimed his music if played in the right key could make flower wilt !! :shock:

I recently played this music and although i cant vouch for the flowers wilting, its like no other music i have ever heard, it could be more accurately described as sound. My tastes could be called diverse to say the least, im very open minded and i'd thought i'd heard every type of music until i come across this ! :eek:

I remember the first time i listened to the music with 2 other people and we all fell silent and the whole atmosphere of the room slowly changed, we listened to the piece to the end and at times felt uncomfotable, yet we could'nt understand why. If you ever happen to come across this music stap it up, as it's quite rare.

Gurdjieff is probably more widely known for is philosophy and association with Ouspensky, but anyone intersted should check is music out. It's bizarre to say the least ! ;)

How about The Flaming Lips? Especially the more recent material...

sureshot

Just gained a load of stuff by a Belgian duo called Hybryds.

Very good ritualistic type stuff. Not late night alone in t'house stuff at all. Oh no. Wouldnt catch me doing anything stupid like that ...

Sort of COil / Dead Can Dance.

a little bit about the Nephilim from "all my ghosts" by Frank Black (who didn't go into decline after the Pixies)
Have you heard about the Heavenly (heavy?) angels?
How they came to earth and met some ladies
with whom they mated

And their sons
Became giants every one
who needs that now?
The rest of that song's rather Fortean too.

How about GONG....from the planet GONG?

Steve Hillage......Daevid Allen.......Gilly Smythe etc.......

All very spacey luvlee pixie people. :blissed:

I've been wanting to hear this album for a while. Journey Through the Secret Life Of Plants by Stevie Wonder:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000024C7W/104-2442518-4338359?v=glance

From a review by a reviewer at the above site:
I'm another of the very few (apparently) who saw the movie, "The Secret Life of Plants". I had waited months for Stevie Wonder's album, "Stevie Wonder's Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants", to come out. I knew it was somehow tied with the movie, that I knew precious little about, but I bought it simply because it was his next release after "Looking Back", which was an anthology-type release. I'm not sure if the album or the movie came out first. All I know is that it seemed I would never see the movie - as if it had fallen into a black hole - I was totally in love with the album. It was tender, it was innovative, and although not aimed at pop in the same way as his other albums, it did have at least two hits. The flavor of the whole, though, was somewhat intoxicating; almost mystical, but as down to earth as dirt, water, and a growing bud.

Finally, with hardly any fanfare at all, the movie was shown at an art house/underground movie theatre in Dallas. I think Stevie's album, "Hotter Than July" had already eclipsed "Secret Life", which for most people seemed to be an album made for a movie that was never released.

Frankly, I *did* like the movie. I only saw it once. It was strictly a documentary. And it focused on the idea of plants having feelings, etc. - how plants respond to certain music (growing taller with classical, for instance), how they respond to "pain" (two plants in different pots, both with electrodes... chop one up, and the other registers the event with a needle on the scope). I remember thinking how frustrating it must have been for a vegetarian who didn't eat meat because they didn't want anyone to suffer. As a documentary, it was probably a little heavy-handed, but it nothing else, it inspired a beautiful album from Stevie Wonder. If you are a Wonder fan, your collection is incomplete without his "Journey". In some ways, I think that album used old technology to inspire the idea of sampling, because he did some very interesting things with bird chirps in his rhythm tracks, which would have been most easily accomplished with the digital sampling to come.

I found a couple of copies in a second hand record shop, and might even buy one but I have more pressing money matters. It does sound kind of cool.

I bought the Stevie Wonder album after posting about it and the documentary in this forum last year. It's a mixture of ambient stuff and songs, not as immediate as some of his work, but well worth listening to. And there's a lot of it.

Has no-one had "Hey Mr Spaceman" by the Byrds yet? Admittedly not one of their finer songs, but a heartwarming bit of hippy nonsense about alien abduction nonetheless. Last verse (from memory, so sorry if it's wrong, but something like): Woke up this morning, I was feeling quite weird/Had flies in my beard/My toothpaste was smeared/Over my window, they'd written my name/Saying 'so long, we'll see you again.'"

Kudos to whoever suggested "No Doubt About It" by Hot Chocolate. I remember reading at the time that it had been written after a genuine encounter, as described in the song. Mind you, I was about 12, and believed everything I read in Smash Hits.

*edit* oh, I've just realised the Hot Chocolate song has its very own thread - sorry! http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21429

Back