• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

Maybe News!

For all you Captain Beefheart Fans out there.

I found this in the news section of, www.beefheart.com!

Better book your seats early!

From beefheart.com:
The Magic Band are set to play three live dates - one in the Unites States (Los Angeles) and two in the UK (London and East Sussex) - in April 2003 and are planning to release an album of the reformed Magic Band playing Beefheart classics in spring / summer 2003.
:p

Brand Violet

http://www.brandviolet.com/

Met these lot when shared the stage at the king's head in fulham. They play in and around london and are well worth seeing. Reckon they could be classed as fortean themed. They formed on Hallowe'en, and have songs called alien hive theme, voodoo and such like.

The lead singer has also been known to have a few strange powers over some of the lads in the audience as well.

andro - there was a band with jimmy ccarl black (mothers, magic band) came here, but i avoided them, being obviously going to spoil my fondness for zappa and beefheart monstrus music

Faggus said:
andro - there was a band with jimmy ccarl black (mothers, magic band) came here, but i avoided them, being obviously going to spoil my fondness for zappa and beefheart monstrus music
Hmm. I'd stay off the sock sniffing, F.;)

I've always thought some of Syd Barrett's solo recordings soundling lyrically like someone experiencing telepathy... check out his solo albums... "our minds shot together, our minds shot together..." from It Is Obvious, among others...

Joe Meek is a superfortean, he thought a few of his songs contained voices from the beyond that he could hear (one of the songs on the It's Hard to Believe It's True compilation is a song he thought was haunted). He also had a haunted painting, preicted Buddy Holly's death, and was a paranoid - and a musical visionary.

I'm amazed that no-one's mentioned The Pixies yet. Lots of UFO themes in their back catalogue.

MU: didn't Merl Fankhauser have something to do with them?

Moorcock's Hawkwind book Time of The Hawklords was co-authored with Michael The Trigan Empire Butterworth, and according to one account at least Butterworth's input was the larger part of the book (and all of its sequel, title of which slips my mind at the mo'). I found it interesting the way The Matrix was prefigured in Time of The Hawklords (written so far back in the early 70s, Lemmy was yet to form Motorhead...) with the social/political/financial elite of London having their minds downloaded into a giant computer to live out their lives in a virtual-city after the Death Generator at the earth's core caused the collapse of civilization prior to the start of the book.

pixies?

ah yes, but we have, many times on...
this older thread
.....which has now been merged with this one! Go to page 1 to see the earliest posts. - rynner.

fortean songs

ive been thinking how many songs have a fortean theme
and to start you off:-

"under your thumb" (a song about a ghost on a train) by godley and creme

I never knew that, melf . . .

. . . how about 'Monster Mash'?

Carole

Very old one- 'She moves Through the Fair' (I can play it on the tin whistle-very haunting on a Bflat)

'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft' - the Carpenters

Carole

Blue Oyster Cult have done quite a few - 'ETI', 'Don't Fear The Reaper', 'Flaming Telepaths', 'Take Me Away', probably some others too. Quite a few of their songs have a UFO theme in some way.

Fortean Frank

Muffin Man,
Thing-Fish
Zomby-Woof

All by Frank Zappa

On a more serious note Car Seat by Blind Melon is lyrically written from the perspective of a dead child who is being buried in the woods by his father. Similarly, their track Skinned is about a murderer furnishing his cabin with the products of human bodies and wearing their skins. Both from the superb Soup album.

That Hot Chocolate song, about aliens...

oh, bugger, what was it called? :D

David Raven said:
That Hot Chocolate song, about aliens...

oh, bugger, what was it called? :D

Was it that song about alien abduction, 'It started With a Mist?'

Paris 1919 - John Cale (about a ghost)
Just like you - Chris and Cosey (Stepford wife type thing)
The Raven - Alan Parsons Project (based on Poe)
Mouth of the Night - Psychic TV (inspired by Alexander Scriabin)
White Nights - Psychic TV (about Jonestown)
Eerin go Braghag - Cathal Coughlan (the hero meets a talking donkey with the head of a pig)
The Gift - The Velvet Underground (man posts himself in parcel)
The Visitations - White Noise (woman visited by dead bf)
The Sewage Workers Birthday Party - Coil (scatophilia)

I'm almost tempted to throw in just about anything by They Might Be Giants on the grounds of sheer bizarrity...

The Jezebel Spirit- Brian Eno and David Byrne. Techno music set over an actual exorcism.

I'd pay big money for the original audio, unaltered, it kinda just fades out, and I want to know how it ends.

Just about anything by Grandaddy (except for the most recent album).. astronauts, robots, ghosts.. you name it.

Truth is Out of Style by MC 900 Foot Jesus (a Fortean reference in itself).

Then there's some of the work of Kate Bush:
Wuthering Heights (based on the famous ghost story), Cloud Busting (about Wilhelm Reich's battle with Destructive Orgone Energy), Experiment IV (about secret government experiments in sonic weaponry), and Lily (about magical charms and protections offered by her grandmother).

Inverurie Jones said:
No Doubt About It.
That's it!

I can hear it now...

Thru the lights...the mists...the weird magnetic fluctuations...

Loads of the Super Furry Animals songs have a fortean theme ie. chuppacabra, Hometown Unicorn etc.

Anybody remember a folk/rock group called Mr. Fox? No, thought not.

They did a song called 'The Gay Goshawk' which I assume is based on older folk tune about a shape shifting bird who comes to a maidens window one evening, transforms into a man, impregnates her and then abandons her to raise an unearthly looking child. I have been known to bellow this song at the top of my lungs much to the annoyance of my neighbours on many an early morning.

'Let There be More Light' on Pink Floyd's 'Saucerful of Secrets.

Then at last the mighty ship
Descending on a point of flame
Made contact with the human race
At Mildenhall

Now, now, now is the time - time
Time to be - be - be aware

Carter's father saw him there and
Knew the Rhull revealed to him
The living soul of Hereward the Wake

David Bowie:
'Life on Mars'
'Starman'
'Five years'
and many more

Neil Young:
'After the Goldrush'

'How Ghosts Affect Relationships', 'Reincarnation' and 'Caroline's Supposed Demon' by His Name Is Alive.

'The Ghost Has No Home' by The Cocteau Twins and Harold Budd.

As has been noted in this thread, Psychic TV have done loads of songs with a Fortean (occult) slant. 'Terminus', for example, or 'Magick Defends Itself'.

Blueswidow said:
Anybody remember a folk/rock group called Mr. Fox? No, thought not.

They did a song called 'The Gay Goshawk' which I assume is based on older folk tune about a shape shifting bird who comes to a maidens window one evening, transforms into a man, impregnates her and then abandons her to raise an unearthly looking child. I have been known to bellow this song at the top of my lungs much to the annoyance of my neighbours on many an early morning.

Yeah I do. I've got both albums on vinyl. Damn good they are too.

Back