• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

If I may comment on the whole like/emoticon debate, I see them as the equivalent of the non verbal communication one gets when speaking to a group of people.

One can gain some idea of their view of what you are saying by their reaction; yawning or asleep- not good, yelling or throwing things – worse, nodding- good, laughing – good or bad (are they pointing at you?)

A “like” I’ve thought of as the forum equivalent of a nod. It indicates that someone has read the post, thinks the point is reasonable but may not wish to comment or add anything.

I’m not a great user of social media but do belong to a couple of fora that don’t have like facilities. They are hobby related and people post pictures of well grown plants or exceptional scale models on them. Sometimes people reply with a “nice photo” message but more often they don’t. It puts people off posting because they have no idea if anybody is even looking at what they’ve said let alone thinking it was good.

It isn’t about collecting likes; after all I’m a miserable old git with an interest in Fortean subjects, model making and growing weird plants so I’m used to not being liked. :wink2:

On the reaction line below a post I sometimes see a couple of names "... and (deleted member)". If I click on the reaction line all three members (including the deleted one who isn't) are listed ?

On the reaction line below a post I sometimes see a couple of names "... and (deleted member)". If I click on the reaction line all three members (including the deleted one who isn't) are listed ?

Can you give a specific example of a post where you're seeing this?

If not ... The next time you see such a thing, do a control (command; whatever ... ) click on the post number (#XXX) in the upper right corner, select "Copy Link" to grab the post's URL, and post the URL here.

So many changes at the moment... :willy:

I'm also finding it quite disorientating seeing Charles Fort at the top of the homepage, rather than IHTM. And aye I know that's a bit of a daft reaction given what this forum is.

If someone can clearly explain how to work the multi quote function I'll be happy. It's a bigger mystery to me than most of the fortean phenomena we discuss. :comphit:

Can you give a specific example of a post where you're seeing this?

If not ... The next time you see such a thing, do a control (command; whatever ... ) click on the post number (#XXX) in the upper right corner, select "Copy Link" to grab the post's URL, and post the URL here.
I've noticed this on a few posts over recent days. For example: https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...nt-been-seen-for-some-time.25940/post-2174013

X-Screenshot_2022-04-24-23-33-00-074_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone can clearly explain how to work the multi quote function I'll be happy. It's a bigger mystery to me than most of the fortean phenomena we discuss. :comphit:
It's so you can quote multiple posts ...
I've noticed this on a few posts over recent days.
... like this.

You highlight the text in various posts and click '+ quote'

Then when making a post, you click 'insert quotes'

It's so you can quote multiple posts ...

... like this.

You highlight the text in various posts and click '+ quote'

Then when making a post, you click 'insert quotes'

I thought that was what it was for, I just couldn't get it to work. I think I was trying to use the regular quote function - clearly incorrect. But your explanation has clarified what I need to do, so I think I've got it now thank you. :)

I've noticed this on a few posts over recent days. For example: https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...nt-been-seen-for-some-time.25940/post-2174013 ...

That's odd and interesting. I'm surprised I hadn't run across it before.

No reactions nor any member(s) were lost. All were accounted for. The anomalous annotation of "deleted member" is the only sign of anything amiss.

I suspect a reaction was removed or changed after the fact and the system's only available response was to insert "deleted member" because it had lost the ID of the user who'd posted the original reaction.

A “like” I’ve thought of as the forum equivalent of a nod. It indicates that someone has read the post, thinks the point is reasonable but may not wish to comment or add anything.
Agreed that's what I use it for and as such I'm glad we are keeping it as you said :-
Sometimes people reply with a “nice photo” message but more often they don’t. It puts people off posting because they have no idea if anybody is even looking at what they’ve said let alone thinking it was good.

I'm rather pleased that the options have been reduced and also that the scores have been hidden I always thought it was a bit silly.

Well done mods! We'll all get used to the changes and I've no doubt the forum will be better for it. x

I'm rather pleased that the options have been reduced and also that the scores have been hidden I always thought it was a bit silly.
I've also wondered what the purpose is of the date of joining and number of messages being shown (most forums do it), but enough changes for the mo methinks. I'll miss the laughing emoji though. It always made me smile just seeing no matter what the post was about.

Morning only just jumped in kinda late here but the only emojis I can get are a like (thumb’s up)
Or a love it (face with hearts for eyes) like i say haven’t really read all the discussion .

I've also wondered what the purpose is of the date of joining and number of messages being shown (most forums do it), but enough changes for the mo methinks. I'll miss the laughing emoji though. It always made me smile just seeing no matter what the post was about.

We did consider both of these options as well.

Join date is helpful for identifying members, especially those with no avatar (or worse those who continually change); it's also helpful to us when merging older and newer accounts not to have to go 'behind the curtain' to see which was the original

Message count is harder to justify, if I'm honest. One point is that it's useful to know who is a veteran member, not so newbies should quake before their majesty, but so they might have a better idea of whether someone is offering sage advice or not.

At the same time, I don't think it's outrageous to grant a little numerical kudos to those who have contributed the most to the community over the years.

We could, I concede, take a couple more steps towards becoming ethereal creatures of pure disinterested debate who consider only the argument in the present tense, but, as you say, we've just taken more steps than most other forums in that direction.

As ever, changes remain subject to review and revision.

We did consider both of these options as well.

Join date is helpful for identifying members, especially those with no avatar (or worse those who continually change); it's also helpful to us when merging older and newer accounts not to have to go 'behind the curtain' to see which was the original

Message count is harder to justify, if I'm honest. One point is that it's useful to know who is a veteran member...so they might have a better idea of whether someone is offering sage advice or not.

At the same time, I don't think it's outrageous to grant a little numerical kudos to those who have contributed the most to the community over the years.
Not everyone of advanced longevity post often either. I tend to look at number of posts and date of joining to consider if someone has stayed around and so may have more info and knowledge and interest vs if someone is fairly new but has numerous posts. Their posts may be questions or just a small polite "thank you" comment. I don't know if anyone gets what I'm trying to explain, but I do use these two things specifically to gauge how to interpret (for lack of better word) people's posts.

Not everyone of advanced longevity post often either. I tend to look at number of posts and date of joining to consider if someone has stayed around and so may have more info and knowledge and interest vs if someone is fairly new but has numerous posts. Their posts may be questions or just a small polite "thank you" comment. I don't know if anyone gets what I'm trying to explain, but I do use these two things specifically to gauge how to interpret (for lack of better word) people's posts.
Yes, I do the same. So glad to see some longtermers reposting again after long pauses.

CHANGES MADE:

1) The display of Trophy Points beneath avatars has been discontinued.
2) The display of reaction scores ('Likes') in the same location has been discontinued.
3) The contents of CHAT and MAINSTREAM NEWS no longer appear in NEW POSTS searches--you'll have to go and look for these posts.
4) Posts made in CHAT and MAINSTREAM NEWS are no longer included in Message/Post Counts (this may not update immediately).

Edit:
5) Trophies have been deactivated.
6) The 'charts' that recorded the 'top' posters by messages/trophy points/scores etc. on the Members Page have been hidden.
7) CHAT and MAINSTREAM NEWS have been incorporated into a new sub-section named MEMBERS' LOUNGE, which is invisible to non-members or members who are no logged-in.
8) Our confessedly humble section on Charles Fort has been rightfully moved to the head of the page.

Please report issues and ask questions here; we've never tried changing these functions before, so there could be unforeseen hiccups.

Hey, not long ago, I had a dream that you took away my points, remember? Spooky.

A suggestion for mods, is it possible/desirable to have a "most recently searched for terms " section? I've seen it in other places where there will be a list of recent searches and you can click on them.

I mention this as the forum is vast and can be slightly intimidating when you're looking for Fortean content and I sometimes just type in random search terms to see what comes up, this often yields interesting and/or unexpected results.

Often my brain sort of freezes and I end up making "knob gag" type comments, mostly in chat. Something along those lines will likely be carved on my tombstone.

Could you please stop bloody spamming threads that people need to read?

It's becoming ridiculous. I'm just going to issue a temporary ban to the next person that does it.

Back