• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT268

I only just finished 267 on the flight to London, and won't get 268 until I get back home.

I got this issue but according to me bank they have just returned a direct debit from Dennis Publishing..........that was nearly two weeks ago and I haven't got a letter yet.

Does that mean I've inadvertantly cancelled my subscription?

liveinabin1 said:
So no one knows what the deal with the picture of the Kingdom Hall was then?
Well its is either because of the Darwin link or perhaps because it is such a remote location? Just think of all those poor rare species all hiding in the living room,all thinking "omfg we moved here to get away from them"

Some of us are still waiting for our issue to arrive

(Sands by the letter box tapping foot impatiently...)

A Jehovah's witness stole it and posted it to their hall in the Galapagos. :D

titch said:
liveinabin1 said:
So no one knows what the deal with the picture of the Kingdom Hall was then?
Well its is either because of the Darwin link or perhaps because it is such a remote location? Just think of all those poor rare species all hiding in the living room,all thinking "omfg we moved here to get away from them"

Could be the rare species hiding.

40,000 people live in the Galapagos Islands, that there should be enough people who are Jehovah's Witnesses to warrant building a meeting hall isn't really surprising.

titch said:
A Jehovah's witness stole it and posted it to their hall in the Galapagos. :D

Strange thing is, I own all the halls in the Galapagos (visit them, be amazed, stay for the tortoise steaks!), and they are under strict instructions to send all my mail back to me! :p

Ah well you see, that's where you're going wrong. Those tortoises make rubbish couriers.

escargot1 said:
Ah well you see, that's where you're going wrong. Those tortoises make rubbish couriers.

But delicious soup!

(47Forteans does not reccommend eating tortoises!)

47Forteans said:
escargot1 said:

But delicious soup!

They even come with their own bowl. Now that's Intelligent Design.

Dr_Baltar said:
47Forteans said:
escargot1 said:

But delicious soup!

They even come with their own bowl. Now that's Intelligent Design.

That's no bowl, it's a shield that evolved to prevent hungry folk from eating tortois soup!

BTW, my copy of FT has just arrived, I shall start reading it once I stop dancing like a Merry Fool...

Mine's probably waiting for me back home. Some many thousands of kilometres away.

I didn't understand the Witness Hall photo either. I'm glad it's not just me.

Didn't like the comic as it didn't add anything new - it would be better in a newspaper mag or something where people don't normally come across fortean material.

staticgirl said:
Didn't like the comic as it didn't add anything new - it would be better in a newspaper mag or something where people don't normally come across fortean material.

Just an excuse to draw a werewolf, I think. As if any excuse were needed!

I will say it again, Phenomenix is way better then that new comic ,so i hope it will return.

I quite like the new 'Cryptid Kid' strip. However, I am a long time Hunt Emerson fan. His illustrations, cartoons and 'Phenomenix' have constituted a golden thread of weird and wacky originality, of the highest quality, from the earliest days of the magazine.

Isn't it about high time for a compilation of 'Phenomenix' strips? :)

Criptic Kid is acceptable, but Bring Back Phenomenix! It was the highlight of the magazine (after seeing my name in the clipping credits - I'm an egotist, sue me! - and the brilliant articles).

Am I the only overseas subscriber to have their copy delivered later than usual, with bits of paper taped over the "Return To Sender" bit on the envelope? This has happened twice now, I'm begining to wonder!

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I quite like the new 'Cryptid Kid' strip. However, I am a long time Hunt Emerson fan. His illustrations, cartoons and 'Phenomenix' have constituted a golden thread of weird and wacky originality, of the highest quality, from the earliest days of the magazine.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aliens-Ate-My-T ... 557&sr=1-1

owenwhiteoak said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

I've just ordered one, as well as a copy of 'Spirit Roads', by Paul Devereaux. How Fortean is that? :)

Of course just got this issue here in the colonies, but a question----I want to send something to Mat Coward regarding his Mythchaser question(s) about natural disasters and looting he poses at the end of Mythconceptions 135, but cannot find contact info for him either in the magazine or on the website. This should be sent as a letter to the editor? Sent to Mat Coward c/o Fortean Times at someone else's e-mail address? Or?? Thanks in advance.

escargot1 said:
Mine came yesterday and I saved it until I'd wallpapered the difficult bits by the window, as a little reward. ;)

Ghosts're my favourite Fortean subject, never tire of reading about them, so I'm happy with this issue.

I'm LOVING the spooky extra head on the garden photo. Had the magnifying glass out an' everything. Wonder if we can get in touch with the photographer and get the photos on here?

If it's a fake it's a good'un. 8)

I presumed it was just somebody walking past behind the guy but on closer inspection that doesn't seem possible given the scale.

Still would lean towards it being a hoax, if you look in the second image there appears to be a white lantern which appears to be obscured by the head in the second pic. Would feasibly give them something to stick a cutout of a head onto.

ramonmercado said:
gncxx said:
paulsamfreya said:
Yeah, what on earth is it with the paedophile fiction ad? Who on earth thought that was a good idea??? :x

I know! I resent the implication that because I like to read about ghosts and UFOs and weirdness I'd like to relax with a "thriller" all about paedophiles. They're dead wrong there.

The book might be about the tracking down of a ped. A of of serial killer novels seem to involve peds these days. Good writers like John Connolly don't need to go into the gory details of the abuse.

edit to fix typo.

I noticed the book on the right but didn't really pay it much heed other than thinking it looked a bit dodgy, just noticed now that both books have a paedo subtext. If I was behind revengeink.com I'd not really want to come across like that so would have advertised only one of the books alongside something else.

If you went saw an ad for a video rental shop and it had 'The Woodsman' next to, say, 'Transformers 2' you wouldn't think too much of it, but if the ad had it stacked up next to 'Gone Baby Gone' and 'Mystic River' you'd probably notice and draw an unpleasant conclusion about the nature of their business.

Either something unpleasant about the company or someone very simple and naive is running their advertising wing.

That said, in this day and age advertising revenue often makes up a large large percentage of magazine's income. Simply put would you rather have no FT or an FT that occasionally runs some dubious adverts?

McAvennie_ said:
ramonmercado said:
gncxx said:
paulsamfreya said:
Yeah, what on earth is it with the paedophile fiction ad? Who on earth thought that was a good idea??? :x

I know! I resent the implication that because I like to read about ghosts and UFOs and weirdness I'd like to relax with a "thriller" all about paedophiles. They're dead wrong there.

The book might be about the tracking down of a ped. A of of serial killer novels seem to involve peds these days. Good writers like John Connolly don't need to go into the gory details of the abuse.

edit to fix typo.

I noticed the book on the right but didn't really pay it much heed other than thinking it looked a bit dodgy, just noticed now that both books have a paedo subtext. If I was behind revengeink.com I'd not really want to come across like that so would have advertised only one of the books alongside something else.

If you went saw an ad for a video rental shop and it had 'The Woodsman' next to, say, 'Transformers 2' you wouldn't think too much of it, but if the ad had it stacked up next to 'Gone Baby Gone' and 'Mystic River' you'd probably notice and draw an unpleasant conclusion about the nature of their business.

Either something unpleasant about the company or someone very simple and naive is running their advertising wing.

That said, in this day and age advertising revenue often makes up a large large percentage of magazine's income. Simply put would you rather have no FT or an FT that occasionally runs some dubious adverts?

I know nothing at all about this publisher, but isn't it normal for popular writers and publishers to take whatever is in the news and turn it into fiction? Hence, detective fiction and police procedurals about Chicago gangsters, drug pushers, thrillers about juvenile delinquents, gang warfare, junkies, etc. spy stories about the Cold War, etc. etc. etc. And who are the tabloids' current demons if not PEDOS in shock horror scare story? Wouldn't you expect to see them turning up in modern fiction? It doesn't imply that the writer or publisher approves of sexual abuse or have an agenda to push, any more than Sax Rohmer, Arthur Conan Doyle, Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Len Deighton, Le Carre or anyone else loved their villains.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
owenwhiteoak said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:

I've just ordered one, as well as a copy of 'Spirit Roads', by Paul Devereaux. How Fortean is that? :)
I am now the proud owner of a copy of, 'Aliens Ate My Trousers', by Hunt Emerson. :)

'Spirit Roads', is still in the post.

That was published 12 years ago, though. Maybe Mr Emerson should think about a second volume.

owenwhiteoak said:
I know nothing at all about this publisher, but isn't it normal for popular writers and publishers to take whatever is in the news and turn it into fiction? Hence, detective fiction and police procedurals about Chicago gangsters, drug pushers, thrillers about juvenile delinquents, gang warfare, junkies, etc. spy stories about the Cold War, etc. etc. etc. And who are the tabloids' current demons if not PEDOS in shock horror scare story? Wouldn't you expect to see them turning up in modern fiction? It doesn't imply that the writer or publisher approves of sexual abuse or have an agenda to push, any more than Sax Rohmer, Arthur Conan Doyle, Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Len Deighton, Le Carre or anyone else loved their villains.

I don't expect hot topics to be ignored by publishers looking for books to sell, and I haven't read the books being advertised, but judging by the blurbs they're more prurient that constructive. The ones advertised in the current issue sound more like they have paedophiles in mind as their potential audience. And it's not as if it's a subject fit for escapism which, weirdly, fictional murder became.

Back