• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Haunted' Painting

Well it's one way to add value on ebay. I have a haunted
scanner that can lose all the characters in a picture.

Before it was haunted it was worth about 50 pence, now
I plan to hire it out.

Haunted houses used to be said to lose value.

Pictures of children always look evil, though, so if one kid
goes walkabout at night, the evil is halved?

M. R. James did the standard haunted picture story in a piece
called The Mezzotint and it has been much imitated.

Methinks this current case was a filter. :p

Well, to be honest, I cant really make out much on the two, 'new' pictures, but it just looks like some sort of night light was on at the time, and with regard to the apparent motion of the picture, it appears to be similar to the Mona Lisa effect

e.g. If you look at just the left half of her face she appears to be smiling, but if you just look at the right hand side she looks looks like shes sad, but if looked as a whole, she just appears indifferent.

Looking at the left hand side of the boy in the top image, it looks exactly the same as the portion of the boy in the 'new' image; ye olde trick of the light/camera/whatever. I once messed up a PSP image with lighting sources and it looked suprisingly similar to the bottom right image ;)

Still, wierd painting tho :eek:

That boy's face reminds me of that horrible painting from 'Ghostbusters II'. The whole prince Egor thing, well its the same in this one...only one is a movie and the other is a moving painting!:eek:

spannerman...

I know I keep quoting the Castle Of Spirits website, but accordingly the pic is a hoax. (I know I keep throwing spanners into workses *gollum*, but it's too much fun to resist)... The wording beneath the pic is what gives it away. If the couple who owned it didn't believe in ghosts, then why are they so desperate to get rid of it? Anyhow... just thought I'd add my 2 cents...

I spotted this last year and always meant to write something on the subject. So here are a few off the cuff thoughts (apologies for incoherence; it's *still* my birthday somehow).

a) A number of people have claimed to spot evidence of photoshop etc work on this.

b) This just feels wrong. Aw, hell, I know that's no reason to speak ill, but you know what I mean; it just screams fake somehow. Chiefly because:

c) Exactly WHAT kind of parent would hang this in their child's bedroom? Which is where it went, according to the original notes? I mean, *please*. Frankly, I'd be more scared of the parents then the painting.

if ya ask me, it looks like the boys knees are backwards, and it also looks like the girl has no eyes. lol who the heck would paint a crappy painting like that

I'm not sure who painted this SPECIFIC painting, but something like it? Ever heard of Heronymous Bosch? Just on the topic of the haunted painting, has anyone come across any other pictures that were allegedly haunted?

It is a really strange painting but what with the net you can always find lots of paintings like it. The girl looks like a broken doll and the boy looks like he has autism (I think)

Yes, a parent would have to be pretty sick to put this in a kid's bedroom. Interestingly, although the sellers give the size of the picture, they don't give any other description. Like, is it painted in oils or acrylic, is it painted on board or canvas, does it have a label on the back etc. The close-ups of the "doll" figure shows pretty clear evidence of clumsy overpainting - a clumsiness with painting that doesn't show in the close-up of the boy's face. My guess is that it was an ordinary portrait of a pair of kids until somebody - not the original artist - altered it.

I am no expert but it looks like it is painted on canvas. Look closely at the painting and you can see the weave of the canvas through the paint.

lucydru

Brrrr.

:eek:That's one spoooky painting!

I haven't studied it too closely; I'm some what sensitive and I have an overactive immagination. It strikes me as being intentionally designed to creep people out. Interstingly the boy only seems to only have the slightest suggestion of eyes. Eyes are the window of the soul; no eyes no soul.

What is it that the manniquin-girl is holding? Looks like some sort of electrical device..... And the painting's name - The Hands Resist HIM. The hands resist the boy, rather than the other way around as the painting would initially suggest.

The Hands are thus imprisoned?:confused:

Let me check my notes :D
Niles

Man, what an atrocious piece of artwork. I'm not surprised the owners resorted to lying through their teeth in order to sell it. Mind you, I must admit, it is an innovative way to sell a painting and someone's bound to be dumb enough to part with their money on the strength of it.

Man, what an atrocious piece of artwork
Umm..Mr.Bingo, I disagree. The ARTWORK is not bad. The subject, however, I'll agree, is atrocious -- just quarrelling semantics is all ;)
I've taken a close look at the painting (well, as close as you can get without actually SEEING the painting). The attached story STILL doesn't sound plausible, and all that stuff about ppl having weird things happen when they just viewed the web-page? I think bollocks.
Take a look at this... My own personal opinion? Hype. But then again, you never quite know.... (evil cackle)

They should have added to the disclaimer,

IF READING TEXT IN ALL CAPS DRIVES YOU MENTAL, STOP NOW.

This supposed haunted painting is a good example of the power of suggestion. The first time I seen this painting it didn't seem that strange. Initially I read somewhere that only the people who seen the original painting experienced strange happenings. So I thought I was pretty safe. However after reading comments from people feeling sick etc after just seeing pictures of it on the web my mind just started playing tricks on me. I visualised the kids in the painting just in front of me and shadows out of the corner of my eyes, I need help!

Seeing is not believing :eek:

If this is that scary painting that was on ebay a while ago - don't ask me to look at it again it was frightening ! It scared all my workmates too !

the painting mucks your mind up,scary and u get shivers up your spine:eek:

I think it is the creepy story here that has mucked with the mind
because the picture is a sort of dark variation of those hideous
sentimental child-pictures that used to be sold mail order.

The way it was marketed was canny enough because we all
read the story before we saw the painting. It prepared me for
a rip-off, but the stern warnings about psychic damage worked
on some punters. It is like watching a hypnotist work an audience.

I note that the advertiser was witholding the name of the artist.
Why? My guess is that there are dozens of these things out there.
With a history and a real story behind them maybe. By detaching
the painting from its real background, the weirdness is doubled.

When the shivers get bad, just ask what the motives of the seller
were. Daylight robbery should be the answer that banishes the
shadows. :p

foofighter said:
I visualised the kids in the painting just in front of me and shadows out of the corner of my eyes, I need help:

Must admit that upon first viewing it gave me the creeps, and then I started hearing all sorts of noises just down the hall. Even went to bed with all the lights on!

Daft really, and presumably exactly the sort of reaction that the seller was after! Any noises I can hear are probably water pipes, or the pigeons that live in my loft. All the same, it's an unsettling painting, and I don't want to see it again. Anyone out there been brave enough to set it as their pc wallpaper, or experienced any nastiness after looking at it?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well...actually...

Some wierd stuff did happen after I veiwed the webpage with the painting on it.

Me and my mom both started seeing shadow people in our house. Its a new house so it lessens the chance of a ghost...but the shadow people are in our nieghborhood. They're next door as well!

I must be even more unpopular with spirits and ghosts than I am with my fellow human beings. I viewed the painting last night and thought yes its eerie but thats been it. No mysterious noises, co strange sightings, I'm starting to feel left out......mind you I am the only person I know who has been to Borley Rectory and never felt anything strange.......

Actually the spirits may love you.

Unless you were at Borley Rectory in the nineteen thirties,
before it burned down, then you must have experienced
a timeslip to find it. :D

Well I like the picture but my snake crapped on my sleeve just as the page finished loading. Maybe he's got a thing about red filters.

Fayyaad said:
I'm not sure who painted this SPECIFIC painting, but something like it? Ever heard of Heronymous Bosch? Just on the topic of the haunted painting, has anyone come across any other pictures that were allegedly haunted?

There was that 'crying boy' picture that was supposed to invite bad luck etc, on all who had a copy hanging on the wall, wasn't there? I saw it reported in earlier copies of FT.

And of course, there's always the picture of Dorian Gray . . . I remember seeing the film of that. The film wasn't that good, but the bits at the end showing the picture taking on all of Gray's evil frightened the life out of me.

Carole

carole said:
There was that 'crying boy' picture that was supposed to invite bad luck etc, on all who had a copy hanging on the wall, wasn't there? I saw it reported in earlier copies of FT.

I think the 'crying boy' picture was blamed for a bunch of house fires. The house always burned down and the picture remained untouched. I read somewhere that no fireman would have it in their house, although whether that means that fireman have good taste or are superstitious is open to interpretation.

I was going to say that the boy had the same deadpan expression as the farmer in Grant Wood's American Gothic, but having looked at the Am Gothic painting again, I have to change my mind. That child in the ebay painting looks a proper evil little b****r. Can't see the message behind the painting, tho' - as previously mentioned, why does the girl look like a broken doll - and what are all those hands doing at the window?

When I looked at the web site, I couldn't see that the boywas actually leaving the painting.

As Fayyaad said earlier, the Hieronymous Bosch paintings of hell are something else - I wonder what he was on when he painted them?

carole said:
As Fayyaad said earlier, the Hieronymous Bosch paintings of hell are something else - I wonder what he was on when he painted them?

Christianity.

well, i looked at it, and it was quite freaky, its their eyes i tell you. but anyway, nothing freaky happened to me, cept for the fact that i was freaked out for the rest of the day, and i started noticeing every little creepy thing, but thats just because i was scared. i agree with whoever said it earlier that the spirits don't like me... i swear i have had nothing creepy or weird ever, ever happen to me. i'm curssed... but i suppose thats good

I don't know about the haunting, but that painting is so scary!
and I don't get scared by things easily. In fact that kind of art work is my kind of thing,
But I couldn't stand to look at that painting for more than a few seconds!

Back