• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Haunted' Painting

It reminded me of the kind of illustration Omni used to use in the very early 80s. The name Gottenfried Heilwein(Spelling there?) keeps jumping to the front of my mind, who painted in a similar disturbing style.

8¬)

Just to add my two cents about the painting...
I was pretty grossed out by it. It is actually a really scary ishy painting, and I couldn't have it on my screen for very long before closing it. Thank goodness I was on the phone with someone while looking at it, and not alone in my cold dark basement!
I think that the people selling it are probably making all that stuff up to generate interest, so that they can sell a haunted painting rather than juts an ugly one, but I do agree that the picture is frightening!

accually... now that i look at it again... its really not that bad...
well its probably cause its day out and stuff but really it ain't.
its just a painting that was painted by someone who was probably on crack or something. don't let it get to you, thats exactly what they want.

Fayyaad said:
I'm not sure who painted this SPECIFIC painting, but something like it? Ever heard of Heronymous Bosch? Just on the topic of the haunted painting, has anyone come across any other pictures that were allegedly haunted?
There is Dorian grey but thats just a story...isn't it?

The reply, "You should see the picture in the attic!"
is actually a standard Irish reply to the observation,
"You are looking well".

Not sure how much secret Wildean undertext there is to
that. But, hell, I'm just a guy with a big, purple head!

:D

Hey I've got a friend who wants to sell his Haunted cupboard on ebay.... do you think we'll have any luck ??:blah:

Hey I've got a friend who wants to sell his Haunted cupboard on ebay.... do you think we'll have any luck ??

Does it open out onto Narnia by any chance? :D

Deluxe model...?

Does it come with air-conditioner, power-steering, air-bags and any other accessories that contain a hyphen?
And would you suggest the spectral haunted model, the ecto-haunted model, or the astral-haunted model?
*hee hee hee!!*

On a similar note, does anyone recall the "Crying Boy" picture panic back in the 80's? The Sun made a big story out of it as the cause of a string of house fires, before encouraging worried readers to send their copy of the picture to them for destruction on a huge bonfire.

Yeah, I remember that.
I find it strange that a large number of people actually had the picture in the first place. First class tat it was.

As dodgy as the "Ebay painting" may be, it's really interesting to think that the artist can deliberatly include content that's only viewable under certain conditions. The Mona Lisa apparently contains hidden details under the "top" layer of paint (jewelery and other stuff!).

Hey, I've never seen it before.

Thanks Andy

I saw this ages ago on another forum - I was the only person who liked it - everyone else thought it was spooky or evil ! I wonder if you can get prints ?
Marion

Dark Detective said:
On a similar note, does anyone recall the "Crying Boy" picture panic back in the 80's? The Sun made a big story out of it as the cause of a string of house fires, before encouraging worried readers to send their copy of the picture to them for destruction on a huge bonfire.

I believe that this 'crying boy' picture thingy started when a fireman made a comment on how many of these prints were found intact at the scene of fires. Even as a child I found those pictures extremely disturbing.

We used to have one of those crying boy pictures, my mum loved it, but she threw it out years ago because of the rumours about it being unlucky. Rather superstitious, my mother!

There is at least one mural artist who uses luminous paint so that details invisible in daylight appear after dark. Ots a very difficult technique apparently.

"THERE ARE NO GHOSTS IN THIS WORLD , NO SUPERNATURAL POWERS, THIS IS JUST A HAIRBRUSH, AND MOST THESE THINGS HAVE AN EXPLANATION, IN THIS CASE PROBABLY A FLUKE LIGHT EFFECT".

"DO NOT BID ON THIS HAIRBRUSH IF YOU ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO STRESS RELATED DISEASE, FAINT OF HEART OR ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH SUPERNATURAL EVENTS, OR ARE MR CHOPPER. BY BIDDING ON THIS HAIRBRUSH, YOU AGREE TO RELEASE THE OWNERS OF ALL LIABILITY IN RELATION TO THE SALE OR ANY EVENTS HAPPENING AFTER THE SALE, THAT MIGHT BE CONTRIBUTED TO HAIRBRUSHING. THIS HAIRBRUSH MAY OR MAY NOT POSESS SUPERNATURAL POWERS, THAT COULD IMPACT OR CHANGE YOUR LIFE. HOWEVER, BY BIDDING YOU AGREE TO EXCLUSIVELY BID ON THE VALUE OF THE TOILETY ITEM, WITH DISREGARD TO THE LAST TWO PHOTOS FEATURED IN THIS AUCTION, AND HOLD THE OWNERS HARMLESS IN REGARD TO THEM AND THEIR IMPACT, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED.

Let the bidding begin. Reserve is $5,000.00

Dark Detective said:
Would the bonfire have worked?
My Grandparents used to have one of those. Looked uncannily like both my father and myself in our younger days. Spooky...

I always found that painting/print of the green woman rather disturbing

A woman with very oriental features, eyes cast down and one hand raised to her neck. She is wearing a chong-san and she's - well - green, dark green

re;crying boy

The person who sold that Second Hand store piece of junk is probably "crying" tears of joy that they found a sucker to purchase that thing..Haunted!! Indeed:mad:

intaglio said:
A woman with very oriental features, eyes cast down and one hand raised to her neck. She is wearing a chong-san and she's - well - green, dark green

I read something about the artist last year. I think he was South African and did dozens of variations on the same theme of mysterious women. I have no idea why he thought it was a good idea to make them green or indeed why anyone wanted a green face on their wall!:blah:

Back