• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Haunted' Painting

intaglio said:
I always found that painting/print of the green woman rather disturbing

My family had that picture over the fireplace when I was small (not exactly cultured my folks!). My sister and I used to "worship" her and leave little offerings underneath - sweets and things.

I always thought of her as cruel and sensuous, with lots of adoring slaves to do her bidding. At six years old I thought this was the epitomy of feminine sexuality!

She was definitely a bit weird and intimidating though, I didn't like being left alone with her...

Green woman painting

Auntie Peach said:
My family had that picture over the fireplace when I was small

Anybody know a link to a scan? I guess it's a British thing... we had the huge-eyed waif and cat paintings.

hallybods said:
I believe that this 'crying boy' picture thingy started when a fireman made a comment on how many of these prints were found intact at the scene of fires. Even as a child I found those pictures extremely disturbing.

It seems that the fireman observed that a high incidence of fires occurred at places where the people had that kind of bad taste in art - undoubtedly a reflection on the kind of people involved...

Re: Green woman painting

ctaylor8 said:
Anybody know a link to a scan? I guess it's a British thing... we had the huge-eyed waif and cat paintings.

We had those also!

I have just been looking for any pictures of the green lady on the web and I can't find any at all! They used to be every where.

This is quite spooky (but not kitsch).
Haunted picture

There was another 'haunted painting' offered on Ebay a while ago. It got discussed here. Enjoy!

Pah. At least the last one was genuinely terrifying...

If anyone has to say IT IS TRUE! complete with caps and exclaimation marks, it must be, hmm?

Would this be the painting entitled 'The Hands Resist HIM'? I'd look at the link to see for myself, but I have great sense of dread associated with ever seeing the wretched thing again.

I recall that the new owner made some cryptic comments about it not being faked but (implicitely) being some kind of experimental painting by a well known artist. Or maybe I'm making it up again.

Nope, this is another 'haunted painting'... How many are there out there anyways?

I'm always amazed at the things people will try to sell on ebay.

Right down to the right to name their unborn child. :rolleyes:

Yes,i hated the other haunted painting,couldnt really watch it for a couple of seconds.

Aww, Sally, you said the one with the 'surfing the apocalypse' link wasn't the same as the 'hands resist him' painting and it was. I didn't wanna see that again, it freaks me out! I'm blaming any nightmares tonight on you!

There must be something wrong with me - I can't see a screaming face in the blood. I couldn't see what was freaky about the other painting either. Not even the red crayon mark helped.

When I was younger, my parents used to care for two elderly sisters who lived in a huge mansion house that had been built by their father. It was a beautiful house, but quite dilapidated, full of exquisite china, Coalport, Wedgewood - all kinds of beautiful ornaments and wonderful old furniture. One old lady showed me around. I can't remember how many bedrooms this place had but it was huge. Each bedroom was fully furnished and the bed made. In one room they had two smallish (sort of A4 size) line drawn pictures of Christ's face. The inscription at the bottom of each picture explained that if you looked into Christ's eyes, within fifteen seconds you would see them open. It worked. Every time. Completely freaked out the twelve year old me, but fascinated me as well. The ladies went into homes soon after, and died. The whole property was suddenly descended upon by hoardes of relatives, typically, none of whom had been around when the old ladies needed help. They stripped the place, and I never saw the pictures again.

Sthenno said:
Aww, Sally, you said the one with the 'surfing the apocalypse' link wasn't the same as the 'hands resist him' painting and it was. I didn't wanna see that again, it freaks me out! I'm blaming any nightmares tonight on you!

Aww, sorry. I meant the one in the first link wasn't the 'hands resist him' painting. If it's any comfort, someone tracked down the artist - you can find him on Google and see what he has to say about it.

Buyer beware...

Glensheen'sGirl said:
I'm always amazed at the things people will try to sell on ebay.

Right down to the right to name their unborn child. :rolleyes:

A website I happen to frequent has some annecdotal information from the perspective of the prospective seller. Worth reading to let yourself know what you are getting into...

http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/517.html

guide to selling junk on ebay and making a profit

here are some articles detailing his further adventures on ebay

http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/10.html
http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/14.html
http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/6.html
http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/20.html
http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/42.html
http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/5.html

and the classic where he sells dirt from his backyard in a glass jar as "the infinity fortuna spell kit" and gets 30 dollars plus 5 dollars for shipping.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/infin.html

It strikes me that these are the rich people with more money than sense's version of the adverts that used to appear in the back of marvel comics, "Send $25 for genuine x-ray spectacles" and such.

As PT Barnum once apocryphaly said "There's one born every minute".

And on that note ladies and gentlemen I'd like to charge you each £5 to view the world famous egress, recommended by the great pasha of india himself.

Re: Re: Green woman painting

Austen said:
This is quite spooky (but not kitsch).
Haunted picture

What a shit picture! I personaly think he painted it and did a verry bad job.

On the subject of the green lady/ Crying boy:

The crying boy was reproduced on the cover of The Beautiful South's 'Blue is the colour' album so it shouldn't be hard to find.

My primary school had a print of - I think it's Dali's - painting in blue of a wisend lod man playing a guitar. That scared the shit out of me! It haunted me for years. Good picture though.

The 'spooky kids' picture is verry disdurbing and makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end but I doubt it's haunted.

What 'bout Willis

Isn't the painting that legenday music producer Joe Meek did, the Lady with the Crying Eyes, supposed to be haunted? Joe certainly thought it talked to him, according to the Telstar web site.

Here's a link to Joe's painting, though it's not a great reproduction:

http://www.concentric.net/~meekweb/cryeye.gif

Good Story...but take it with a pinch of salt.

Dark Detective said:
On a similar note, does anyone recall the "Crying Boy" picture panic back in the 80's? The Sun made a big story out of it as the cause of a string of house fires, before encouraging worried readers to send their copy of the picture to them for destruction on a huge bonfire.

Found this on Tom Slemen's website.

He's more of a folklorist than a parapsychologist and I haven't heard any of his radio spots but you can find a brief bio here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/features/ghosttrail_tomslemen.shtml

Anyway was reading some of the ripping yarns on his website and stumbled across the following:-

The Crying Boy

In 1988, a mysterious explosion destroyed the home of the Amos family in Heswall, England. When firemen sifted through the burnt-out shell of the house, they found a framed picture, entitled 'The Crying Boy', which was a portrait of an angelic-looking boy with a sorrowful expression and a tear rolling down his cheek. But the picture was not even singed by the blaze. Not long afterwards in Bradford, there was another blaze, and again a picture of the crying child was found intact among the smouldering ruins. The head of the Yorkshire Fire Brigade told the national newspapers that pictures of the weird Crying Boy were frequently found intact in the rubble of houses that had been mysteriously burnt to the ground. Journalists asked him if he thought that the picture was evil and could somehow start the fires, but the fire-chief refused to comment.
The reports of the unlucky painting causing fires are still occasionally reported; there was a Crying Boy picture found at a gutted house in Dublin in 1998, but no one as ever found out just who the child is in the supposedly cursed painting. One well-respected researcher into occult matters, a retired schoolmaster from Devon named George Mallory, claimed that to have uncovered the truth in 1995. Mr Mallory claimed he tracked down the artist behind the controversial portrait: an old Spanish postcard artist named Franchot Seville, who lives in Madrid. Seville said the Crying boy was a little street urchin he had found wandering around Madrid in 1969. He never spoke, and had a very sorrowful look in his eyes. Seville painted the boy, and a Catholic priest said the Boy was Don Bonillo, a child who had run away after seeing his parents die in a blaze. The priest told the artist to have nothing to do with the runaway, because wherever he settled, fires of unknown origin would mysteriously break out; the villagers called him 'Diablo' because of this.

Seville ignored the superstitious priest and looked after the boy. The paintings of the little sad orphan made Seville fairly rich, but one day, his studio was mysteriously burned to the ground. Seville was ruined, and he accused the little Don Bonillo of arson. The boy ran off crying, and was never seen again. Then, from all over Europe came the reports of the unlucky Crying Boy paintings causing blazes. Seville was also regarded as a jinx, and no one commissioned him to paint, or would even look at his paintings. In 1976, a car exploded into a fireball on the outskirts of Barcelona after crashing into a wall. The victim was charred beyond recognition, but part of the victim's driving licence in the glove compartment was only partly burned. The name on the licence was one 19-year-old Don Bonillo; could this have been the same Don Bonillo who had been the subject of the Crying Boy painting eight years earlier? We will probably never know, as no friends or relations ever came forward for the body.

Make of that what you will.

Re: Good Story...but take it with a pinch of salt.

Carnacki said:
Found this on Tom Slemen's website.
Who is this tome slemen? I thought that was the name that sometimes got mysteriously printed out of printers or something... maybe he is a madter hacker too :)

I reconise this picture from somewhere. I dont think that the two pictures are real, however, Im somewhat disturbed by the apparent "3d" effect of the pictures. If you shine a light against a painting, it doesnt give off a 3d effect. I know you can edit the pictures though!

Re: The haunted painting on ebay with all the hands - there is a very similar painting in the film The Devil Rides Out about two minutes in. It's on display in window of the book shop where the hero does his book signing. As far as I can recall, it shows a figure and a lot of disembodied hands dancing around it. Anyone reckon it could be the same painter?

Cursed Paintings

No,im not talking about the haunted painting.
I remember my dad saying that in the 80's there was some paintings sold.
He mentioned a boy blowing bubbles and also a little boy crying.
Apparently these paintings was cursed and caused fires and other mis-haps.
Is this true or an urban legand.
Has anyone got infomation on these paintings.
Thanks

There's a thread about this here

[Emp edit: Threads merged and link removed]

Thanks
I remember now seeing the boy blowing bubbles picture in a 80's nostalgic programe{i think it's i love the 80's}
I found a picture though that could be the boy blowing bubbles painting though.
the painting?

I have heard that the 'Crying Boy' is generally printed as a poster, stuck to a piece of something like MDF and varnished over, effectively fireproofing it. But hey, I could be mistaken.

Sorry to disappoint you Dan, but it'd burn just like everything else made out of wood and paper. ;)

Back