• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Just reached The George in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, at the end of a hike. While ordering food, I mentioned that I had heard the pub was haunted. "Apparently so." said the barmaid with an uncomfortable grin."So you've not run into anything yourself?" ... ""No." So there you go... yes, supposed to be haunted, but no further info.
The problem with getting info from bar staff is the rate of staff turnover. Many people working in a pub may not have been working there for long enough to experience something for themselves, or even just to learn a bit of history.

Just reached The George in Brixworth, Northamptonshire, at the end of a hike. While ordering food, I mentioned that I had heard the pub was haunted. "Apparently so." said the barmaid with an uncomfortable grin."So you've not run into anything yourself?" ... ""No." So there you go... yes, supposed to be haunted, but no further info.
There is a pub about 10 miles north in Braybrooke that the actor Graham Moffatt ran for a while.
I'm not sure if it's haunted, if you're headed that way, or even if you liked the Will Hay films, but it looks like a nice old place to visit;

swan.png

There is a pub about 10 miles north in Braybrooke that the actor Graham Moffatt ran for a while.
I'm not sure if it's haunted, if you're headed that way, or even if you liked the Will Hay films, but it looks like a nice old place to visit;

View attachment 73356
Well my ultimate goal is to walk northwards across the whole of England south to north, and it looks like it's on my way, I'll bear it in mind... although I think my next leg will be from Brixworth to Market Harborough.

Well my ultimate goal is to walk northwards across the whole of England south to north, and it looks like it's on my way, I'll bear it in mind... although I think my next leg will be from Brixworth to Market Harborough.
Will you be taking the old railway line from Brixworth to Market Harborough?

The Old Trip to Jerusalem in Nottingham has many reputed hauntings (plus the cursed model ship) and Most Haunted really messed it's reputation up.
I was a regular drinker there for years. One afternoon, I walked through into the 'snug'. Only one public door in and out (the others were a firedoor and a padlocked closet. I saw a young couple leave the snug and I passed them as I walked in. I saw a cloud of pipe tobacco smoke just drifting in the middle of the room, slowly dissipating. No one else was in the room, this was years after the smoking ban and vapes didn't widely exist.
Apparently this was one manifestation of an old long dead patron known as Old Yorky.

The White Horse in Cromer (no jokes please, lets give the mods a day off) is supposed to be re opening on the 2nd of February. I ended up working there for the previous landlady but before that it used to be included on our local ghost tour. There's a set of stairs out the back leading up to guest rooms that someone saw a phantom single foot on according to the tour guide. When I ended up working there, the landlady hadn't got a clue what he was on about and had never seen anything paranormal there. It'll be interesting to learn if the new landlord sees anything spooky.

Then he took off his 'teacher costume' and it all went downhill from there. :D

A haunted Shetland hotel:​

Laughter​

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: 1987
Further Comments: Air crew staying at this hotel would say rooms 28 and 33 were haunted. One visitor staying in room 33 would be awoken multiple times by the TV turning itself on and heard a child's laughter.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

This hotel became very well known in UFO circles after the owner saw two tall humanoids in silver 'spacesuits' next to a landed UFO in the early hours of the morning (1977 I believe):​

White Lady​

Location: Broad Haven (Dyfed) - Haven Fort Hotel (aka Havens Hotel)
Date / Time: Pre 1970
Further Comments: A local legend claimed a white lady haunted the hotel grounds.

I've just hiked in to Melton Mowbray, and The Crown sent me down to the Anne of Cleves for food (very nice of them to promote the competition... but I was very muddy and tired, so the barman probably felt sorry for me!) The Anne of Cleves is a great pub, friendly, decent live music, and a 14th century building. If it isn't haunted, it damn well should be!

Edit: just went to the gents, which was empty, and got a most peculiar feeling of being watched! Result!

Last edited:

Haunted pub in Cornwall for sale makes impressive £165,000 profit a year​

'The pub website describes it is a traditional Cornish pub having, over the centuries, been a courthouse, a venue for inquests, a smugglers lair and "a house of ill-repute" - with ghostly figures spotted skulking throughout the building.'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...8?cvid=efce6e4b8cba4c1eb689eee2bb4000dd&ei=51
Didn't know of this one and not that far from me. Good news is that the regular U1A bus has a stop not far away so might go and sample the wares at Easter

The only Miners Arms I've visited in Cornwall was in St.Just.
There is another just down the road from me. Ironically you can see some of the disused 19th Century mine workings from there and it is not far from Wheal Jane that finally closed in 1992, so quite possible actual miners used to frequent it.

Any Dorset Forteans?

Portuguese Sailor​

Location: Weymouth (Dorset) - Spice Ship public house, Preston
Type: Poltergeist
Date / Time: 2000s
Further Comments: This ghostly sailor took the form of a poltergeist and created general mischief. It was blamed for phantom footsteps, setting off alarms and even pulling one landlord from his bed. Folklore said that the sailor had said to have become delirious and had jumped to his death from an upper window in the 1870s, although during the 1930s, a visiting medium claimed the man had been thrown from the window during a robbery.

@DrPaulLee how about this one?

James Martin​

Date / Time: 2020s
Further Comments: One employee told the local press that she would hear whispering and spot fleeting shadows when locking up at night. Snacks would occasionally fly off the wall and other items tipped over. Some people named James Martin, a nineteenth century landlord, as the responsible party.

Back